Philips 42PF7421D 42" LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 733 Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are any of you familiar with this model? This is the tv that Costco is advertising for their early July sale. I've seen a few mentions about it in some of the other Philips threads but no really "hands on" comments. The Philips spec sheet shows a publish date of Feb 06. The selection of inputs/outputs appears limited but since I would only be using it for cable SD/HD and DVD, that doesn't really concern me.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 733 Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've got a 37" Dell (6 months, no problems, also from Costco) that I want to move to the bedroom and get something a little bigger for the family room. This tv just seems like a really good deal.
post #3 of 733 Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

EDIT: Oops! My bad! I didn't look closely at the model number. Nevermind.
post #4 of 733 Old 06-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

i am interested in this new Phillips myself, thinking of returning 37" Vizio for this. Anyone has more info on this?

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #5 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 01:16 PM

I posted this on the Costco thread. FYI

I just went to Costco Home to check out the Philips 42 LCD. I came away very impressed. It was set up next to the 45 Sharp and I thought the phillips looked much better. I am not sure how the TV's were calibrated so this just an initial impression based on how they were calibrated in store.

I spent some time watching both the Sharp and the Philips and here are some examples of differences I saw.

Black levels were better on the Philips. There was a scene with tuxedos on the HD feed. The philips produced really nice blacks while the sharp's tuxedo looked dark grey. There was another scene with a navy blue blazer. Origianally I thought it was a black blazer when I was watching the Sharp then I looked at the Philips. I saw a deep rich navy blue blazer.

Flesh tones also seemed better on the Philips. They were very accurate and bright. It really made the HD content come to life. There was a travel HD program on and I really felt like I was standing there watching someone make strudel. The brigtness and contrast really jumped out at me. The program had a skyline picture of a german town and the Philips nailed it. I have spent alot of time in Europe and the colors were very real. Again the Sharp seemed to lag.

The bezel is a glossy black but the screen has no gloss. I didn't get any glare on the actual screen. The gloss on the bezel may distract some people but I thought it looked pretty good. In fact, when I was walking up to it I thought it was a Pioneer elite plasma. I tought to myself "wow, to bad I can't afford Pioneer cause that TV looks awesome and has an incredible picture" Imagine my joy to realize it was the Philips.

I didn't see any motion blur while watchiing some of the France Portugal game.

I don't claim to be an expert but I know most folks don't live by a Costco home and have virtually no way to preview this set. I thought I would give my impressions but take it with a grain of salt. I'll be going back tonight to buy this TV. It was very impressive. Also, there were a few other folks looking at the TV. We all agreed this seet was better than the JVC and as good if not better than the 40" Sony. They all seemed pretty HD savy.

Let me know if you guys want any other info about the set.
post #6 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

there is a new set available from Costco which is Samsung 40" the reason why I am considering Sammy now because:

1:4000 Contrast ratio & 12.8 billion colors (10 bit) vs 1:650 & 16 million colors (8 bit)

Although Philips still has a nicer design vs white Sammy. Also $500 price difference

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #7 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 03:17 PM

I cant speak to the Samsung on the website but I looked at the samusung at costco home and the philips had a better picture. Again, I have no idea how things were calibrated but I do know the Philips had an amazing picture on it's own and a pretty good price. I looked at a lot of retailers this weekend and I would put the philips in the top three or four lcds I viewed.

1. Samsung S4096
2. JVC 40HF96
3. Sony Bravia
4. Philips 42PF7421D/37

I didn't compare these side by side but they all stood out from the rest in their respective location. Each set brought a quiet "holy crap" to my mouth. I almost bought the JVC but it was their last one and was open box. Plus, I want the Costco return policy.
post #8 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post

there is a new set available from Costco which is Samsung 40" the reason why I am considering Sammy now because:

1:4000 Contrast ratio & 12.8 billion colors (10 bit) vs 1:650 & 16 million colors (8 bit)

Although Philips still has a nicer design vs white Sammy. Also $500 price difference

Do you know the model number of this set? LCD?
I'm returning a Philips tomorrow due to the Black Screen problems and other errors with the cable card. Mine was the Plasma. Due to Philips not wanting to solve the problems with this set scares me away from any more Philips sets. I got it at Sam's. I just purchased a Samsung 40" LCD and love it!
post #9 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5bassman View Post

Do you know the model number of this set? LCD?
I'm returning a Philips tomorrow due to the Black Screen problems and other errors with the cable card. Mine was the Plasma. Due to Philips not wanting to solve the problems with this set scares me away from any more Philips sets. I got it at Sam's. I just purchased a Samsung 40" LCD and love it!

LN-S4052D / white... I wish they had the same one in black

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #10 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:

LN-S4052D / white... I wish they had the same one in black

Yea, I bought the S4051D and it's in black. I don't think I want to pay even more than I paid for a white one. The black looks great and basically disappears in our TV cabinet. Oh well, better decide it's what I want in 30 days! But I do like it! And I'm, still waiting on my HD DVR box from Comcast!
post #11 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

can you tell how do you like blacks on yours? Have you tried connecting to PC?

Mac Mini HTPC (Win7)
post #12 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:

can you tell how do you like blacks on yours? Have you tried connecting to PC?

Haven't tried a PC because I won't ever use it for that. I run the latest Stars Wars DVD in it last night with a regular Sony dvd player and it was fantastic! Hard to imagine it getting much better with an upconvert player! I believe the blacks were as good on it as my Philips Plasma. Haven't had a chance to hook up the 360 yet. Maybe tomorrow or Friday.
post #13 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 PM

Just ordered the 42PF7421D after finding out about this deal at costco's website today! I've been looking at the Philips models since I saw their 37" in BB and thought it was one of the best pictures there. I was waiting for an employee purchase site I have access to to get some in stock so I could order, but this deal at costco is cheaper and it appears to be in stock (at least I think so, would love for someone to confirm this).

The set will be in our living room and only used with a DVD and HD-DVR from DirectTV, so it appears to have what I'll need and then some. Can't WAIT to get it...now if only the house would be finished that this is going to go in!
post #14 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered mine on 07/02 and it shipped today. Delivery is scheduled for 07/11, so yes they are in stock.
post #15 of 733 Old 07-05-2006, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

One thing to note for anyone buying this set, there appears to be a firmware update, dated 06/30, which appears on Philips support site. I have no idea whether this has been installed on the units that Costco is selling. Worth checking out though. I do not know what the content of the update is.
post #16 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 AM

Please let me know if anyone has hooked this unit up to a computer. I would like to know if it works.
post #17 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 AM

Ordered this set and it shipped on the 3rd. (its only 1 state away right now, coming from Canada?) When I get it I will post a review. I have been watching this set for a month now, and when Costco changed the sale to start on the 1st rather than the 3rd, I pounced on it. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the info rgldhl.
post #18 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 08:25 AM

I took the wife to Costco Home to check out the sets. Before we got up close to the TV's I asked her which one looked best to her. She took them all in pointed to the philips. "I like the look of that one and the picture looks amazing". Bingo!

I didn't want to pay for shipping so I thought I would buy it while in stock. They sold about 20 of them since I had been there during lunch so I bit the bullet.

First Impressions - The set is asthetically pleasing. The bezel has a very nice black finish but the screen has no glare. The stand seems a bit cheap and my box was missing one of the support arms. I have to go back to costco to get another arm. Not a big deal but a bit dissapointing when I was excited to get it set up.

I decided to press forward anyway and set it up on a makeshift support. I haven't upgraded from basic cable yet so I wasn't expected much when I pluged in. To my suprise the set picked up a ton of channels that I didn't have before. Not sure how that works? Anyway I also had all the local HD channels. The picture looks really nice. My wife watches some dancing show and the picture was pretty impressive. Good blacks, good definition, good colors. I was messing with the settings but didn't get very far. The set has a few presets and "natural" seemed pretty good. I need to get a calibration DVD. Later I watched a KCTS show on gardens and the picture really looked good.

I also played a few rounds of Halo 2 and didn't see any motion bluring. In fact I didn't notice any all night.

Overall, I am very happy with the set. Some of the expansive backgrounds seemed a little grainy to me. I think that is because I was sitting so close while doing the set up.
post #19 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 09:36 AM

rgldhl, would you mind snapping some pics of the set when you get the chance? I've seen conflicting pictures of this set on the net between Costco's site, Philip's site, and a few others selling this same model. Interested to know if the entire casing is black as some pictures show, or if only the bezel around the screen is black and the case is silver/gray. Thanks!
post #20 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 09:43 AM

ajbuster- make no mistake about it, its gloss black, with matte black speakers. I think the only thing silver is the stand. Correct rgldhl? I've seen its 37" brother at BB. Beautiful set.
post #21 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 09:50 AM

It's all black. Black speakers with a black glossy finish bezel. The stand is silver. I'll try and get some pics up may it may be this weekend before that happens. It is a really good looking design. It you plan on hanging it, there would be no visible silver or grey.
post #22 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Excellent...thanks for the info fella's! I'm glad to hear it is the black one in the pics I've seen...looks VERY sharp! I'll be hanging it on a tilt mount over our fireplace using the Peerless mount that was listed on the costco webpage.
post #23 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 AM

Let me know how that goes. For now I'll have it on a stand but it would look rather sweet above the fireplace.
post #24 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 AM

Mine will be more like the photo they display on the costco site because I have no fireplace yet. I already have the tilt mount up, and it's screaming for the 42. I had another unit on the mount already, (that I had returned) love the tilt feature. They look VERY clean on the wall.
post #25 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 AM

Ericp - What did you return? What pushed you towards the Philips?
post #26 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 AM

I had the Philips 42" LCD Ambilight, but I returned it due to having black screen issues. Plus I feel a bit more comfy purchasing the Philips from Costco, because I dont have to sweat out a 30 day period while hoping Philips fixes the firmware.

HOWEVER. I absolutely loved the tv otherwise. And if I am not mistaken they both use the same screens and tuners, so if thats the case, I am going to be super happy once again. Even SD looked good on it.

They make "faux" ambilights that I can purchase off the net if my wife really needs them. But since it is a gloss black cabinet, Im thinking it will be sexy enough. Now if I could just talk her into some martin logans.
post #27 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Yeah, I was pretty suprised by the SD. Did you calibrate your other set. I wonder if those settings would optimize the new one?
post #28 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM

never got the chance, but I have a guy locally that I will call when this puppy gets here

Actually Im gonna search first. Thats not a bad idea
post #29 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 12:18 PM

Err I wish shipping was faster... but I guess you can't beat their s/h charge... darn cheap. Looks like the 11th for me too.
post #30 of 733 Old 07-06-2006, 04:33 PM

Anyone have a computer?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page