post #541 of 7781 Old 06-27-2006, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur2u View Post

Hey Phil,
Yes you have to remove the stand before mounting it. If you look at the base/stand from the back. there should be 6 screws holding the base to the tv itself, 4 sets of screws are the same while the other two are longer. it should be pretty obvious looking at the back of the stand. thye're not directly in the center of the base but off to the sides a bit.
Jair

I guess I am, real dumb... You say that there are six screws holding the base to the TV... Four sets of screws... do I assume that four sets means eight screws??? and the other two means a total of **TEN***

I guess that I will have to look closer when I get ready to do this.

But THX

Phil P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 7781 Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can confirm that 1920x1080 is supported via the VGA input from my laptop. I hooked it up, ran some of those 1080p Windows Media Video HD files from Microsoft's website, and was stunned at the beauty. It was so good, that I no longer am worried about having to get a PC with DVI out to feed this monitor. The VGA looked plenty awesome!
post #543 of 7781 Old 06-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Hey prototype here's more pics upon your request.

Jon the first two pics show the tv on the mount you are looking at.

Zoglog i bought those channel things for the wire and painted it red...looks better than the dangling wires check out the pics. It only cost $12 + paint and 5 mins to do and i don't need to put a hole in the wall.

http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/10.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/11.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/12.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/13.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/14.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/15.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/16.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/18.jpg

btw sorry for the crapy pics i only have a point and click casio exilim. So the pics aren't that great.
but here are some HD shots of dicovery channel. btw the tv hasn't been calibrated , its running stock and is running off a component cable.

http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/22.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/23.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/24.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/25.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/20.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/21.jpg
post #544 of 7781 Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 PM

Hey phil
my mistake there should be only 4 screws total to remove. If you are looking at the backside of the tv look at where the power cord plugs into the tv. there's two screws right where the power plugs into the tv. take those two screws out and the other two on the opposite side but at the same area. Once you take those screws the bottom should just slide off.
Hope that helps.
Jair
post #545 of 7781 Old 06-27-2006, 11:19 PM

I am still having problems connecting my HTPC to the Westy through DVI1 and DVI2. DVI1 produces progressively worse flicker, to the point where the screen goes black and the message "signal out of range" is displayed. I was running DVI1 with no problems for a couple of hours with various apps, when I finished playing HL2 the "signal out of range" error displayed and I was unable to get it working again. I guess I will just have to make due with VGA.
post #546 of 7781 Old 06-27-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post

But yeah those wires in the back look interesting heh. Is there any alternative to wiring besides having to punch holes in the wall?

Google DeCorp (I'd post a link but I assume that might break the rules?)

They're currently still testing a power cord solution, but they have RGB, coax, and speaker wire that can be painted over.

I'm not wall mounting mine, but I have a weird situation in a loft where I have to string the coax from one side of the room to the other about 15 feet. It's kinda pricey for what it is but if you can't punch holes...
post #547 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 12:06 AM

Hi guys, much like most of that owns this set, I am very pleased with the ability of this tv. I am very glad that I made the purchase during the special BB deal. And the color tweak make this set even sweeter.

The problems that I have with this set are the speakers. The speakers sound better than my old stero tv. But I think it has some problem. I can't really tell what it is. I think during heavy bass sounds, the volume of the speaker would peak then drop. Its like thud kind of sound. Compare to the other sounds, its more intensive. I don't really know how to describe it. Watching regular tv shows i really can't tell. But when I'm streaming music using the xbox or playing video games I would notice this. I've read thru the part I and part II threads but noone really said anything about the speakers. Please help.
post #548 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post

I am still having problems connecting my HTPC to the Westy through DVI1 and DVI2. DVI1 produces progressively worse flicker, to the point where the screen goes black and the message "signal out of range" is displayed. I was running DVI1 with no problems for a couple of hours with various apps, when I finished playing HL2 the "signal out of range" error displayed and I was unable to get it working again. I guess I will just have to make due with VGA.

What is the resolution you have your htpc set to? and the frequency range also? You may want to check those two, it sounds like you may be out of the range for the monitor.
post #549 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 AM

The BB in our little town here in SC just opened up last Friday. Obviously, they would have some inventory in stock for all of the TVs they sell, including the LVM-42w2. I took a look at the TV on Saturday and with the 5% off their normal price (and the 30 day price match guarantee) I decided to purchase the TV Sunday morning.

Sorry for all of you who are having to wait for your units. Don't listen to a lower level BB employee such as a floor salesman or the store manager about this model no longer being carried. After all, they are more interested in selling you something in their store today instead of something else tomorrow. If you really want to find out if BB is planning to continue to sell this TV, I suggest you contact the buyers at the BB corporate offices. Honestly, I CAN'T imagine why they wouldn't want to continue to sell this tv considering that they move them as soon as they have them. BTW, checking on the consumer BB site, it is no longer is stock in my local store now.

I am very impressed with the tv so far. No banding and the picture is beautiful out of the box and even better once the RGB balance is adjusted. Good sound out of the speakers and good picture in either bright or dim light.

Only complaint so far is that I'm have a problem having the DVI input recognize any input other than 1080i from my DCT6200. Not sure whether is the tv, the STB or the cable. Not that big of a problem because I am satisfied with the 1080i output from the Moto.
post #550 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Sure they had it in stock to open the NEW store.
It's been there for weeks.
I bet they will NOT get any more and I also wager that the display model will be gone within day's after the store inventory is gone
Now that is the floor model I would buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoNut2006 View Post

The BB in our little town here in SC just opened up last Friday. Obviously, they would have some inventory in stock for all of the TVs they sell, including the LVM-42w2.

Don't listen to a lower level BB employee such as a floor salesman or the store manager about this model no longer being carried. After all, they are more interested in selling you something in their store today instead of something else tomorrow. If you really want to find out if BB is planning to continue to sell this TV, I suggest you contact the buyers at the BB corporate offices. Honestly, I CAN'T imagine why they wouldn't want to continue to sell this tv considering that they move them as soon as they have them.

post #551 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelle View Post

What is the resolution you have your htpc set to? and the frequency range also? You may want to check those two, it sounds like you may be out of the range for the monitor.

My resolution is set to 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. I've read that others have had luck changing to 59.94Hz, but I do not have that option on my PC.
post #552 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 AM

I ordered my tv on the 23 and it was here on the 27 as well as another person that had ordered it on the same date. So you can definitely get them. I am going to pick mine up now before work and hopefully play a little 360 on it woot woot, so excited.
post #553 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 07:33 AM

If you have an ATI card you can go into Catlyst control center and under digital panel properties you can set "HDTV support" and "add 1080p60 format to the display manager".
post #554 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post

I can confirm that 1920x1080 is supported via the VGA input from my laptop. I hooked it up, ran some of those 1080p Windows Media Video HD files from Microsoft's website, and was stunned at the beauty. It was so good, that I no longer am worried about having to get a PC with DVI out to feed this monitor. The VGA looked plenty awesome!

Cool, Has anyone else compared between DVI and VGA? I was thinking that VGA would degrade the PQ over DVI. I have mines on DVI and it looks great, But I wanted to free up the DVI for another device and was planning to purchase a VGA cable. Don't want to spend the money on a cable if the PQ is not going to be the same.

any thoughts?
post #555 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 07:59 AM

Does anyone know if the firmware upgrade will be able to be carried out by the end user? It would be nice if they could send out a cable and some pc software to do the update on the tv. I wouldn't really look forward to shipping the TV somewhere to get the update done. I apologize if this was already covered but this thread is so big I might have missed it.

Brendin
post #556 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 08:05 AM

One thought posted earlier said they would send field technician to your house to perform the upgrade.
post #557 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

BB is still selling it. Check the website.
post #558 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 09:13 AM

Your logic (and many others posting to this forum) eludes me!

Why do you think that BB is listing this tv as being available for sale on their consumer website if they haven't any intention of selling it to you? This would amount to the old bait & switch tactics. Which is pretty illegal.

Not only that but I CAN'T imagine that BB is SO unsophisticated as to create ill will amoung it's potential customers by listing a product they have no intention of selling.

It's got to be a supply/demand issue. Please to tell me what a store manager told you!!! What do they know about the corporate buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode1 View Post

I bet they will NOT get any more and I also wager that the display model will be gone within day's after the store inventory is gone

post #559 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 AM

Why do you think that BB is listing this tv as being available for sale on their consumer website if they haven't any intention of selling it to you? This would amount to the old bait & switch tactics. Which is pretty illegal.

Not only that but I CAN'T imagine that BB is SO unsophisticated as to create ill will amoung it's potential customers by listing a product they have no intention of selling.

It's got to be a supply/demand issue. Please don't tell me what a store manager told you!!! What do they know about the corporate buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode1 View Post

post #560 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 09:38 AM

Ok, so I tried the service menu and tried hitting the return key but nothing happened, so I tried it a few more times. Still nothing so I decided to just run it like normal. Now it keeps starting up with the white screen and there is nothing I can do about it. I never reached the SM menu so I never had a chance to change anything. Is there any way to fix this or am I SOL. I got it today
post #561 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysins View Post

Ok, so I tried the service menu and tried hitting the return key but nothing happened, so I tried it a few more times. Still nothing so I decided to just run it like normal. Now it keeps starting up with the white screen and there is nothing I can do about it. I never reached the SM menu so I never had a chance to change anything. Is there any way to fix this or am I SOL. I got it today

I don't know if this helps: I could not get to the SM either while my Cable box was turned on. After turning it off it worked. Also make sure you don't hit the Enter key, but the curved arrow key below the number 9 key...
post #562 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 09:44 AM

do a system reset in the OSD menu
post #563 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 09:47 AM

OMG I scared the bejesus outa me. After unplugging it and several times and being 2 seconds for breaking down in tears I decided in a extremely frantic effort to start hitting all the buttons on the side and when I hit the volume + button it came back. Ok no more service menu for me. I'm gonna have a pro come out and calibrate it when I can get the new firmware. I'm still shaking

Thanks for the help guys. That's why I'm starting to love this forum.
post #564 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 10:02 AM

i run svga 1920x1080@60hz. the pc just pnp'd the monitor and go. unfortunately my poor 6200 agp can't really handle much other than desktop at that resolution. however it does look flawless the nvidia cards have some rock solid timing. monoprice svga cable.
post #565 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoNut2006 View Post

It's got to be a supply/demand issue. Please don't tell me what a store manager told you!!! What do they know about the corporate buying?

I extremely agree with you.
But, this has been covered so much that it's becomming a nuisance.

Decided to speak to a friend's father who works at the corporate office for a very reputable B&M/online chain (not BB) and this was what he said.

"IF we were to discontinue carrying a product, we would mark the item on sale and sell out every last one that was in our warehouse. The only reason to discontinue a product that sells well is because (A) the manufacturer discontinued it, or (B) it has been recalled. Once it has been determined that the product would be discontinued and the the warehouse was completely empty of said product, there would be no way for any sales person to place an order of the item."

I also gave him some history and asked him what his thoughts were on this monitor and he said.

"IF it was to be discontinued it more than likely would have come off the website and any remaining stock in the warehouse would be shipped off to the retail stores for purchase at the sale price. Being that they are still listing it online is a good sign that they are not discontinuing the item. It sounds like BB is having a tough time keeping up with the demand."

When told what the stores are saying he went also to say
"Store salesman and even managers will say "anything" to get you to purchase something else than the item that is out of stock. We've heard them all from it's a POS to it's been discontinued. There was even a time a sales person told a customer that the plasma screen they were looking for was recalled because the gas would leak and it was lethal. (LOL) Profits are very high on a plasma & LCD monitors. For every customer that returns a product there are about 5 customers who keep it and are completely satisfied with it."

Now he does not work for BB, but I would assume their business practices are the same as they are a direct competitor.

No way is BB going to stop selling this monitor unless it has a newer model from the manufacturer, and as said before Westinghouse and BB are not parting ways. It was a great one day sale on 6/10 and whether it was an error they wont even honor the price for a new set. If it was going to be discontinued, this set would still be on sale.

Besides the monitor has only been selling for less than 6 months. If you are planning to get this monitor all I can say is to get it. At this price it's either this monitor now or something else in the future when prices drop. I wanted something now how about you?

Hope this helps clear the and stop discontinue talk.
On with the tech.
post #566 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 10:20 AM

I was messing with my TV and I found an easy method to test the level of banding on your particular set.

Simply go to the menu and adjust the brightness (not the backlight) up to 75-85+. On my set, the screen begins to turn grey with the increased brightness, and the banding really begins to shine.

If anybody can do this to their set and post a picture of their monitor with no banding at 75+ brightness, then it would really say a lot about the level of variation in quality control. Otherwise, I really think that all the sets will show visible banding.
post #567 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur2u View Post

Hey prototype here's more pics upon your request.

Jon the first two pics show the tv on the mount you are looking at.

Zoglog i bought those channel things for the wire and painted it red...looks better than the dangling wires check out the pics. It only cost $12 + paint and 5 mins to do and i don't need to put a hole in the wall.

http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/10.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/11.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/12.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/13.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/14.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/15.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/16.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/18.jpg

btw sorry for the crapy pics i only have a point and click casio exilim. So the pics aren't that great.
but here are some HD shots of dicovery channel. btw the tv hasn't been calibrated , its running stock and is running off a component cable.

http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/22.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/23.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/24.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/25.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/20.jpg
http://user1033154.sf2000.registered...//westy/21.jpg

Very nice. Looks way better now . I guess if I decide to wallmount it I'll have to bust out the ol paint bucket . More than likely i'll stick to deskmounting though so I can have continuation for PC usage.

It's good to hear that more people seem to be satisfied with this set than the Sceptre.
post #568 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 AM

After reading all of the posts, and reading both the Home Theater mag and Audiophile reviews, I've decided this is the set for me. I've got an opportunity to unload my Sony 57" CRT HD Projection TV and have been wanting to get a flat panel since we're planning to move from Kansas City to a small apartment in Chicago in 6 months. I've been to my local BB (Lawrence, KS) and they only had the floor model and i was told by the inept salesman that it was "Deleted" from their system. I'm trying to wait until Friday to buy so that I can be sure my TV is sold, and I wasn uninterested in their floor model, so the salesman told me that "Honestly, there are some 720P tv's that look better than this 1080P tv, I mean it is a Westinghouse". I just said thanks and walked away. I hate that. Anyway, I do have a couple questions for those of you that have them. How is the PQ in a lit room? Does it appear washed out or anything? Also, I know there has been mention of Westinghouse doing field upgrades of the firmware. After reading the warranty card and information, I'm not sure I would count on that. The warranty has no provision for in home service. It specifically says it must be brought to a Service Center or shipped to one. I guess since it's an LCD it wouldnt be that big of a hassle to drive to a service center, but the sony/toshiba warranties include in home service. Not enough to be a deal breaker for me, but kind of an annoyance. BTW, thanks to all who've posted in here, it's really helped me make my decision. I went to a local Nebraska Furniture mart thinking this would be an easy decision, and i was absolutely overwhelmed, so I took to the interweb for assistance, and I sure did find it.
post #569 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I know that Blur2U stated his picture was factory set. After calibration, has anyone noticed the picture having better blacks and better color than in those pics?
post #570 of 7781 Old 06-28-2006, 11:02 AM

Just wanted to say hello again. I have been MIA for a few weeks now since the previous thread was shutdown. Glad to hear everyone is enjoying the SM codes
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse 42 Inch Ld 4255vx Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page