Westinghouse 42" LCD w/1080p Part II, MSRP ONLY - Page 260 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7771 of 7781 Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting occasional audio popping (all input sources) on my LVM-42w2. Other than that, my monitor is flawless. I may have to get an HDMI switcher as I have 3 capable HDMI outputs and can only use one...the other 2 go in via YPbPr inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7772 of 7781 Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 AM

So after about four years of admirable service the backlight gave out. Powers up but no display of any kind and screen remains power-off-black. It's headed for dispsal.

On the bright side there are some awesome prices on 42" plasmas these days so I picked up a Panny TC-42U2 to replace it and I'm happy.
post #7773 of 7781 Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM

You could get hdmi-dvi adapters or hdmi-dvi cables. A benefit of the switcher is pseudo discrete inputs since you have to toggle the tv's inputs.
post #7774 of 7781 Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubphotek View Post

So after about four years of admirable service the backlight gave out. Powers up but no display of any kind and screen remains power-off-black. It's headed for dispsal.

dubphotek-

If you have not already got rid of your Westinghouse, I am interested in it. Please send me a message here. Thanks-

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #7775 of 7781 Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 AM

After searching the forum this seemed like the most appropriate place to post. If I am wrong please move this post somewhere better suited.

I have acquired a westy tx-42F970z which has a cracked inner screen. I have heard many times that its not cost effective at all to replace the screen, but I could not even find anywhere to buy one (just curious to see what they go for). One of the tags indicate its a Chi mei V420H1-LH5 Rev. C2.

I was planning on parting it out and did some searching for part numbers on the boards and have come up with very little. The closest parts I can find are used in an insignia, but they don't seem to be the same.

Westy PS: 715T2802-3
Insignia PS: 715T2802-1

The main boards carry the same #(E243951) and the boards look identical at first glance. However, the black connector in the top right of the board is different.

I'm assuming these components are very much the same, but the parts from the westy are newer versions. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'd like to get an idea of what I can fetch for the parts (everything but the screen) and maybe learn a thing or two along the way. Any help/info is much appreciated. I can provide pictures of the tv/parts/tags if needed.
post #7776 of 7781 Old 08-03-2010, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Jakeklem-

Welcome to AVS Forum.

This discussion topic is actually for one specific Westinghouse model, the LVM-42W2, that was made in 2006-2007. Your questions seem to be about the possible value of the parts in your broken set. I don't think you will get much of a response here about circuit repairs/parts. If you do want to try, though, you should check for a specific topic for the TX-42F970Z model, or start a new topic with the model number in the title (which is very important). This discussion is unusual because it does not have the model number, but when it was started, this was the only 42" Westinghouse model sold, and one of the few 1080p TVs of any brand.

You could also check completed sales on Ebay, searching for "westinghouse" and "lcd" and "power supply", for example. The quick answer, though, is that there is little value in broken flat-panel TV sets or their parts, except maybe for the better brands such as Sony or Samsung.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #7777 of 7781 Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

Jakeklem-

Welcome to AVS Forum.

This discussion topic is actually for one specific Westinghouse model, the LVM-42W2, that was made in 2006-2007. Your questions seem to be about the possible value of the parts in your broken set. I don't think you will get much of a response here about circuit repairs/parts. If you do want to try, though, you should check for a specific topic for the TX-42F970Z model, or start a new topic with the model number in the title (which is very important). This discussion is unusual because it does not have the model number, but when it was started, this was the only 42" Westinghouse model sold, and one of the few 1080p TVs of any brand.

You could also check completed sales on Ebay, searching for "westinghouse" and "lcd" and "power supply", for example. The quick answer, though, is that there is little value in broken flat-panel TV sets or their parts, except maybe for the better brands such as Sony or Samsung.

thanks for clearing that up for me Chris. I will start an appropriate thread.
post #7778 of 7781 Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 PM

Hello all,

I've had my westy since 2006. It has the 1.19 firmware. Before I post my question I'll throw out some information that might be useful.

I've had a WD HD TV Live for a while (which has frustrated me to no end, I still cant get my samba shares to work after that last 'upgrade'). I could never get it output 1080p to the westy. I even tried as far as a HDMI Gefen Detective Plus. I've recently upgraded to an Onkyo NR1007 and I am happy to report that the WD HD TV live shows up as 1080p at the display through the Onkyo.

Now for my question. Is there any recommendations as far as what Bluray player will sync up reliably? I'm sure the onkyo will be a big help in the process but the westy seems to get flaky when switching between modes. I tried using my laptop, and the only way itll run is using anydvd, when everything in the chain should be hdcp compliant. I probably have to mess with the onkyo more to get it to work, but this is a lot of headache for wonderful modern technology.

So in short is there any guaranteed good to go bluray players? Also does anyone have a copy of the latest firmware and a pinout for the serial cable? I'd definitely like to get my hands on that.

Thanks!
Martin
post #7779 of 7781 Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 PM

After several years of trouble free service my Westy still has a great picture from DirecTV but some annoying vertical bands have shown up over the last year or so.
Others on this forum have complained about this in the past but I never got a feel for if the condition is correctable or something we have to live with as the set ages.
Any comments.?

RBC
Eustis, Fl
post #7780 of 7781 Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM

Well its been a few days sence my original question so I did the following:
Put an HDMI to DVI adapter on the cable into the Westy and connected to DVI 2 input. The vert banding is present with this configuration as well but not nearly as bad as before.
Gonna ride with this for awhile and maybe try the DVI 1 input at some later date.

I guess there aren't many of us Westy LVM 42 owners still alive on this forum given the lack of response and low visiter count.

RBC
Eustis, Fl
post #7781 of 7781 Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Re to my last post reporting that a change of input from HDMI to DVI helped the vert. banding issue------ forgetaboutit. By the time I got all the parameters adjusted the vert. banding was back and largely unchanged.

So I'm back to my original querry. Is there any known and practical fix?

RBC
Eustis, Fl
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse 42 Inch Ld 4255vx Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page