Westinghouse 42" LCD w/1080p Part II, MSRP ONLY - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for hooking us up with the service menu info Peter. Very much appreciated! The new settings look great.

Here's a pic of the service menu for anyone wondering what it looks like or what settings are included.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have 1.18 installed on the system here. It will only allow me to change Color 1. Color 1 also needs to be changed for each individual input and then Color 1 needs to be selected from the standard OSD for that input. Additionally, some of the inputs need to be active in order for you to be able to set them in the SM. In other words, you may not be able to set DVI-1 unless you have somethign connected to DVI-1 at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Affiliated
post #183 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

As for requests for other Westinghouse codes

If these do not work for you then - well, I am sorry. It took so much effort to get these, I don't think it is likely (at the moment) to get any others released. However, I will see what I can do.

Additional information -

1) These codes should also work for the 47" model when it is available as it is basically a larger version of the 42".

2) The 42" set has not been discontinued. In fact, according to Westinghouse, it is doing extremely well.

3) The new firmware will be released officially as 1.19 and Westinghouse is working on a program to update everyone who has a set. This may take a while to put in place, but I shall pass along the details as soon as I have them.

There is some speculation as to what Best Buy is doing regarding this model set. While the engineering group at Westinghouse Digital has no idea as to Best Buy's actions, digging around has led to the following observations -

The Westinghouse 1080p sets are "discontinued" just as the Samsung and Sony 1080p LCDs hit the shelves at MUCH higher prices. Was the Westinghouse just a "filler" for Best Buy until they could sell more recognizable brands at higher prices/margins? "The world may never know..."

- Affiliated
post #184 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 AM

I am wondering if BB doesn'tmake alot of money off these sets. Especially when you have each member invovled with purchasing the 42 going through 10 sets before they will settle on one. Imagine the Refurb warehouse filled with returned westy's. lol.
post #185 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 AM

Liked: 11
Does anyone have horizontal scrolling colored bars on this set? I have asked before but not gotten any response. They are pink or green and start at the bottom and scroll up. They are faint and not always noticable.
post #186 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Dan View Post

Does anyone have horizontal scrolling colored bars on this set? I have asked before but not gotten any response. They are pink or green and start at the bottom and scroll up. They are faint and not always noticable.

Haven't seen anything like that on mine.
post #187 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 07:49 AM

no colored bars on mine either
post #188 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Since I didn't get any responses on my first vertical banding poll, I thought I'd re-post. Please help me determine if I should go for a replacement with your input.

As I've posted, I have banding on my 42w2 that's varies from noticeable, to hard to see depending on the scene. When I see it, the banding is mainly visible on the left 2-3" of the screen and to a lesser extent on the right 2"...almost appearing as uneven burn-in on a CRT. The banding is most noticeable during horiziontal panning (i.e. World Cup) with certain color scenes (gray-the worst, green, etc.). Interestingly, with lighter colors like white and light blue, I don't notice banding.

I'd like to take an informal 42w2 banding poll to help me determine if I should keep my set or try a replacement. If most owners notice the scene dependent banding, than this issue must be common in most or all 42w2s and it would be pointless to try another. However, if most don't have banding, than I guess I'd try a replacement.

Please help me make a decision by selecting one option:

Option 1: I see intermittent banding depending on the scene (panning and color displayed), especially towards the edge(s) of the screen

Option 2: I see banding most of the time, regardless of the scene and color displayed

Option 3: What banding, I don't see any

Clearly this poll is imperfect, since alot depends on differences in what people notice. However, if most owners have banding, I can live with keeping this otherwise awesome LCD, knowing that I can't improve on what I already have. From my expeience with my Panasonic LCD projector and a LG 32" I tried, I suspect some degree of banding is present in most LCDs.

Thanks again and sorry for my multiple posts.

Andrew Sabin
post #189 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info Peters, I am feeling better about this all the time. I am sure that is the case with BB, they wouldnt want to compete with themselves. It seems alot of the time the models they want to sell you can only get there (not necessarily on tv's but other items in my experience).
post #190 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin View Post

Please help me make a decision by selecting one option:

Option 1: I see intermittent banding depending on the scene (panning and color displayed), especially towards the edge(s) of the screen

Option 2: I see banding most of the time, regardless of the scene and color displayed

Mine is Option 1
post #191 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinghome View Post

Mine is Option 1

Me as well
post #192 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 08:40 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin View Post

S

Andrew, I think that while the banding is probably present on most if not all sets, it is probably somewhere between option 1 and 3. I can see faint banding on a grey test screen and very rarely in an isolated scene in a movie. The movie that showed the worst case was March of the Penguins, where I could see banding for a total of maybe 2 minutes of the film.

So, while I would select Option 1, it is somewhat overstated in my case.
post #193 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 08:41 AM

First off thank you PerterS.

Ok I have a better feeling about purchasing this monitor. I see that the crutchfeild price is now back up, but won't they price match BB? I have a BB with in 50 miles that shows product in stock, but will not answer my call or call me back. Go figure!!
I guess I need to know if the Monitor will fit in an explorer? I would hate to drive all the way to get this item and not be able to fit it in my truck!

Thanks
post #194 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem is that there is no PERFECT display device. Name me one which does not suffer from some issue, minor or otherwise?

CRT: Size vs. Weight issues. Display speed and Interlacing. Geometry almost always off.

LCD: Backlight issues, weak blacks.

Plasma: Poor Color Gamut, Screen Door, Lifespan, Low-resolution, Cost.

DLP (single): Rainbows, Hot-Spotting, color artifacting, off-axis viewing.

DLP (triple): Hot-Spotting, off-axis viewing, alignment.

LCoS: Poorer Blacks (than DLP)

etc. etc. etc.

While new technologies promise to fix some of these issues, rest assured, they will have their own issues as well. We all make compromises.

- Affiliated
post #195 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 AM

I'm sure this question has been asked but I tried finding answer in this thread, and read most of part 1, and could not find. I will be hooking this up on my cable box's DVI connection - is it better to use the monitor's HDMI or DVI input? If DVI, does it matter if its DVI-I or DVI-D. Thanks.

Nevermind - just spoke to Westy directly and they stated DVI-D to DVI-D connection is best due to handshake issues with a HDMI/DVI connection.
post #196 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob622 View Post

Ok I have a better feeling about purchasing this monitor. I see that the crutchfeild price is now back up, but won't they price match BB? I have a BB with in 50 miles that shows product in stock, but will not answer my call or call me back. Go figure!!
I guess I need to know if the Monitor will fit in an explorer? I would hate to drive all the way to get this item and not be able to fit it in my truck!

Thanks

Out of the box it will. But in the box most likely not. I helped a friend bring his from BB in a Grand Cherokee. We took it out of the box and put it in the back. We also took the box. We layed it on top of the Cherokee and tied it down.

hope this helps.
post #197 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Changing the RGB values does indeed make a great deal of difference...

Skin Tone are now correct.
Skies are BLUE as opposed to TURQUOISE.
Black and White is now Black and White.
Shadows do not contain color noise.
etc.

Set it yourself and you'll see.

I'll second that.

Using your RGB settings and OSD setting recommendations, give or take a notch or two on the latter, the overall impression for me is a much richer image without any over saturation - I don't know how else to describe it - even in SD through S-Video from my old Sony SAT-T60, but especially HD through DVI from my DirecTV H20, and oddly enough even with black and white source material. Much richer blacks and whiter whites. I'm starting to sound like a detergent commercial but honestly, without exception, everything I watch looks better. Amazing how such seemingly small adjustments make a really big difference.

Thank you for aquiring and providing this information.
post #198 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:

The problem is that there is no PERFECT display device. Name me one which does not suffer from some issue, minor or otherwise?

CRT: Size vs. Weight issues. Display speed and Interlacing. Geometry almost always off.

This overlooked what *I* concidered a dealbreaker; the potential mechanical failure of a fast spinning electric color wheel with inherant noise. I've watched and heard harddrives die.

The rapid/high lamp falures of the DiLA displays took those Televisions from consideration after research on www.avsforum.com ... I feel a bit of research before voting with my money is well warrented. The Westinghouse 42" got my vote and hence my hard earned dollars.

Like you said, we all make comprmises.
post #199 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:17 AM

BOX 51W 38H 14D

Andrew I saw distinct collum about 3" wide on far right when I first got set last friday only in dark scenes. For some reason today I tried to reproduce what I was seeing the first few days and could not. Not sure what I was connected to but I did see it. I no longer have PC hooked up to it so could not check that. Just checked it with samsung Upconverting dvd player and composite from SD Direct DVR funny I could not find it again.

I have been plugging and unplugging my set the past few days to check all the inputs and even unplugged while set was on and left it til nest day.

What annoys me is when sitting directly in front of left side bezel there is a real bright area on far right side not so much on the left. May be an lcd thing.
post #200 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I don't get my set till monday, but it sounds good that they're working on a fix to get firmware to users. Very fantastic. Now I just have to pray my set doesnt have any horrid defects. I'll respond to you when I get my set Andrew.
post #201 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:

...In the Service Menu

Red: 232 (230 - 235)
Green: 220 (218 - 224)
Blue: 255 (255 - 255)

In the OSD Menu

Brightness: 50
Contrast: 50
Saturation: 50 (40 - 60 - higher for Component inputs, lower if you prefer)
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Color 1
Sharpness: 0
Backlight: 0 (0 - 30 - higher for higher ambient light conditions, 0 at night or in a dark room)

Thanks Pete!

However, it makes you wonder why Westy doesn't just pre-set these values to begin with if this model is so consistent...

post #202 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
re: banding issue

i have tested three sets and now own a fourth. all have the banding but all were unnoticeable unless you look for it under certain conditions, greys etc.

i have come to the conclusion that this set is too good to let that get in the way and it would be very difficult to exchange until you find the perfect set, which i doubt even exists.
post #203 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=PeterS]The problem is that there is no PERFECT display device. Name me one which does not suffer from some issue, minor or otherwise?

DLP (triple): Hot-Spotting, off-axis viewing, alignment.

LCoS: Poorer Blacks (than DLP)

etc. etc. etc.

Sony LCos does not have poorer blacks than DLP, they're much, much better. No comparison.
post #204 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks everyone for your input so far on my banding poll. At this point, I have 5 owners who selected Option 1 (intermittent banding depending on the scene) and 1 who selected Option 3 (no banding). From this response, and what I've read and seen, it sounds like some degree of banding is present in this and most LCDs. I suspect the biggest variable is the extent to which people notice the banding.

Like you said PeterS, all display technologies have issues and I guess we have to live with banding in this otherwise great LCD. At this point, I'm leaning toward not trying another 42w2...I don't think the banding would be much different. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #205 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

bosng,

You just really swayed the poll results. Since you've tried 4 42w2s, all with intermittent banding, the results are now 9 Option 1 (intermittent banding) and 1 Option 3 (what's banding). I'm inclined to agree with you that
Quote:

this set is too good to let that get in the way and it would be very difficult to exchange until you find the perfect set, which i doubt even exists.

I couldn't of said it better myself. I don't mean to draw conclusions, but I really think those that don't see banding just aren't as critical or picky as us who do.

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #206 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 AM

Option 3: what banding - I don't see any!

Maybe I don't know what to look for, but I haven't seen it.

-Greg
post #207 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM

Option 3: what banding - I don't see any!
post #208 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bob622 View Post

Thanks

The whole thing (include box) fit my Honda CRV perfectly.
post #209 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

It will ride flat on the floor between the wheelwells of a Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.
post #210 of 7781 Old 06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

After some tweaking, I've decided on Color 1 with the following gain settings:

red: 232
green: 224 (thought green was lacking at 220)
blue: 255 (factory default)

The color accuracy and greyscale range appear close to perfect with these setting on my set. Again, thanks PeterS for your dedication to the cause. I previously thought that Color 2 looked best, but color 1 with these service menu adjustments appears much more natural now. For those who don't see banding, how long have you had your set? Have you watched alot of programs with horiziontal panning with a light gray background?

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse 42 Inch Ld 4255vx Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page