Westinghouse 42" LCD w/1080p Part II, MSRP ONLY - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have not been authorized to unlock the previous westy thread at this time.

Due to multiple requests, I'm starting this thread as a continuation of the previous, Pt. I, here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...93#post7855193

I cannot promise the previous thread will be unlocked, so if you desire, use this thread. If the other is unlocked at some point, I will simply merge this one with Part I.

Discussing service menu adjustments, etc.. is also fine, and not against the rules. Asking for payment in return for info IS against the rules. As long as none of this occurs, all will be well.

Remember: AVS is about people helping people, not people charging to help people.

Apologies for any inconvenience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whew! I can breathe!

Since we're back up & running, can someone help me with this problem?

Has anyone had any problems when using DVI 1 or 2 with a PC? When my PC is hooked up through DVI2, the monitor randomly goes black off and on for about a second at a time. Any suggestions?
post #3 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 03:40 PM

Horizontal color bands. Anyone have any comments on the horizontal pink and green bands I see on my new Westy.
post #4 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM

Can anyone confirm whether they recieved the SM codes directly from Westinghouse, or have gotten any kind of response from Westinghouse? I have requested it from the company, but have not had a response.

Anyone have independent confirmation from Westinghouse on if they have a new firmware update that fixes the lockup issue?

Anyone try the unplug while on solution to the uneven backlight (banding) issue?

Thanks!
post #5 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Instead of locking this thread again, can't you simply delete/block offending users???
post #6 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've tried that, but off topic comments continue, such as yours....

Let me handle trying to provide you guys with a place to discuss a topic you enjoy, and you guys handle the actual discussion.

Thanks
post #7 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried the Samsung 1080p DVD players on the Westy?
If so, what are your impressions?
How about the new Oppo HD?
post #8 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 05:13 PM

PeterS, I have the infamous banding issue and wanted your opinion on minimizing this effect via calibration.
post #9 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
are you still uploading. only the first one works for me

"page not found" yahoo
post #10 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post

Sorry - Images Fixed!

Don't see your pictures... Can you please PM me the email for the technical items? I am an E.E.. Thanks,

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.
The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Are you the site owner? Avoid service interruptions in the future by increasing your data transfer limit! Find out how.

Learn more about data transfer.
post #11 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 05:46 PM

I have a big greenish bright spot in the middle of the TV. It actually got smaller this morning and is bearable, but i called best buy and they sent a tech guy out. He said the monitor was defective and i should get a new tv. I went to best buy and spoke to the manager of the store. He said that this TV is deleted from the system and the Pa/Ohio region will not be receiving this make from Westinghouse anymore. There was not one tv in the warehouse or in any of the stores. He called two places that they share a dock with and it was a no go as well.

Option 1---keep the tv and hope the dot doesn't get better(it must not have been a dead pixel according to geek squad guy
Option 2--Get my money back, but i got it at such a discount that i couldn't buy a similar tv for that price
option 3--buy the display model that has a huge scratch accross the front
option 4--send back to westinghouse for replacement(two to three weeks without tv)

Will the bright dot get bigger? It has to be a pixel(what else could it be, but why wouldn't the best buy tech not know that). Anything that i can do to maybe fix the greenish/white light? I am big newbie so be kind!
post #12 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Banding is present in almost all LCD displays to a greater or lesser degree. This is due to the number of Lighting Elements and Diffusers used to try to light the image as evenly as possible.

PeterS and other 42w2 owners,

I have slight banding on my 42w2 that's most noticeable towards the right 2-3" of the screen edge. Would you advise me to keep this set since you state that all LCDs have some banding? Is it possible that a replacement would be the same, better or worse? I have a Panasonic LCD projector that has some banding that's noticeable with horizontal panning. Also, I briefly had a 32" LG that had worse banding than the 42w2. Thus, I tend to agree that current LCDs seem to have differing degrees of banding.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the picture quality on this set. The resolution and clarity is superb. Like you say, I guess it's something we have to get used to, in light of the many great qualities of this set.

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #13 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15

e-mail addresses will not be allowed at this time.

oops sorry bout that, just trying to help
post #14 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I will try to move the images to a different service. Unless someone else can host them for me?

Sorry.

Just use flikr
http://www.flickr.com/

it's free with only a limit of space u can upload a month. Also the transition to the Toshiba 1080p could be partially in fact that Toshiba Bought westinghouse

http://news.moneycontrol.com/india/n...le/6883/999999
post #15 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So does anybody have any updated information on the direction BB is going in with this 42" set? From my discussion with them, they will no longer be carrying it......might the 1.18 firmware version somehow show up in their computer as a different model number, and thus they would still be carrying it, but when using the previous model number, the computer tells them they have stopped carrying it? Or I am just reaching?
post #16 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 PM

Bought my westy last week at BB and got that free 15inch TV. I got a 1.11 ver. They told me it was brand new, but the bands broke off. I kind of wondered if it was returned, but knowing there isn't a BB that has it in a 300 mile radious of me I took it home. I found 0 dead pixels and it hasn't locked up on me yet. I can't tell if it has banding or not. I won't have HD content from comcast for another 2 weeks. Is there another way I can test for this banding?
post #17 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 08:06 PM

chingu,

I ordered the "42"on line on Saturday the June 10th. I was fortunate and grateful due to this great thread to catch the deal. My delivery date is confirmed for July 6th. Like you, I hope it will surive the trip. Good luck!

Thank you again to everyone for all of this great info! I feel like a leach, I hope I can contribute in some way in the future.

Brian
post #18 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there any way I can connect this monitor via VIP622 as a secondary TV? It seems that it only can be connected through coax, but I want to confirm it with you guys. I mostly watch OTA HD anyway, but still it would be nice to use for the occasional satellite channel.
post #19 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Is there any way I can connect this monitor via VIP622 as a secondary TV? It seems that it only can be connected through coax, but I want to confirm it with you guys. I mostly watch OTA HD anyway, but still it would be nice to use for the occasional satellite channel.

With the VIP622, the TV2 output can be coaxial or composite only. It will down-rez for TV2, so it is not the best option to connect the Westy to TV2 - best bet is to go HDMI or component for TV1 output.

This is more a VIP622 question than a Westinghouse question.
post #20 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinghome View Post

With the VIP622, the TV2 output can be coaxial or composite only. It will down-rez for TV2, so it is not the best option to connect the Westy to TV2 - best bet is to go HDMI or component for TV1 output.

This is more a VIP622 question than a Westinghouse question.

Sorry for hijacking the thread and thank you for the answer.
post #21 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic5679 View Post

Bought my westy last week at BB and got that free 15inch TV. I got a 1.11 ver. They told me it was brand new, but the bands broke off. I kind of wondered if it was returned, but knowing there isn't a BB that has it in a 300 mile radious of me I took it home. I found 0 dead pixels and it hasn't locked up on me yet. I can't tell if it has banding or not. I won't have HD content from comcast for another 2 weeks. Is there another way I can test for this banding?

There are bands on the box, ordered mine on line and hired BB delivery guys took it out of the box on the street, was vocal and told them to bring me the box and everything in it, there are no bands in box they gave me. Told me the clips are all that holds the box together. Oh also a smudge on screen in left corner I should have it dusted for finger prints to see if delivery guys put it there.

Factory new not sure but firm ware 1.16 have not seen a dead pixel yet.

Noticed a band on mine same as andrew 3" wide on R during a dark scene, never see it day scenes. Not sure about pressing my luck and a replacement.

Today at BB while buying a much needed warranty for this and upconverting dvd, the Westy 42" that was showcased at end of isle with the Toshiba HD-dvd was gone and replace with a Samsung panel and Samsung Blue ray dvd player pretty sure that was it. They had this tv among the rest it was not even on they just opened.

I may keep mine slight banding and all, no lock up in 4 days, instead of going the 2 or 3 replacements to get perfection.
post #22 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianbrian View Post

chingu,

I ordered the "42"on line on Saturday the June 10th. I was fortunate and grateful due to this great thread to catch the deal. My delivery date is confirmed for July 6th. Like you, I hope it will surive the trip. Good luck!

Thank you again to everyone for all of this great info! I feel like a leach, I hope I can contribute in some way in the future.

Brian

Aloha hawaiianbrian,

Thought I was the only one here who brought the tv locally. I passed it on to a few friends but when they went down there on sunday the sale was over. I'm just waiting for a call from the Aiea BB to come and pick it up. Hope it fits in my brothers SUV. Nice to hear someone else from the islands got this deal also. Hope we do run in to any problems with this monitor.
post #23 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu View Post

Aloha hawaiianbrian,

Thought I was the only one here who brought the tv locally. I passed it on to a few friends but when they went down there on sunday the sale was over. I'm just waiting for a call from the Aiea BB to come and pick it up. Hope it fits in my brothers SUV. Nice to hear someone else from the islands got this deal also. Hope we do run in to any problems with this monitor.

Yeah, I was starting to feel lonely here. I never would have considered Westinghouse if it wasn't for this thread. Being this is my first HD LCD..I am very excited.

On line ordering came with free shipping.....unbelievable! Anyway, I am glad cuz there is no way that puppy would fit on my miata.

I ordered the Oppo 971H to go with.

I'll let you know when I get it.

Aloha,

Brian
post #24 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Different Westinghouse!

Peter: Can you post pics of the Westy in action? Say with HD, 360, DVD, etc? Thanks!
post #25 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 10:29 PM

yeah whats the deal with bb not carrying it? they keep telling me they do indeed carry it but are waiting for westinghouse to send more. they have no idea when they are getting them... The 47 is over my parent's budget and the 42 would work perfectly, but I don't want to buy it online due to all the westy issues i want to get it at bb what's the deal!??
post #26 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

PeterS and others,

On my Panasonic LCD projector there are settings in the service menu that can reduce vertical banding. Also, I've read that other flat panel LCDs have service menu adjustments that can reduce the banding. Are you familiar with any settings in the service menu that might minimize our banding? Life would be great if we could atleast reduce the issue. Do I need to PM you to get the service menu codes?

Thanks

Andrew Sabin
post #27 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 10:34 PM

No bands on my box either. It was wrapped up like new though!
post #28 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM

I am wondering about getting bb extended warrenty. I think its $400.00 for 3 years? I may be wrong... Either way that is a lot of money. What have all you guys done? Is the warrenty worth it? What is Westinghouse's warrenty?
post #29 of 7781 Old 06-19-2006, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just got an open box 42 at best buy, the 4 year warranty is 250. The casing is a little marked up but the screen is flawless, no dead pixels, haven't noticed uneven backlighting but I prefer the backlight at about 15, so I'm not sure I'd notice. I got a screaming deal on it, so I'm happy.
post #30 of 7781 Old 06-20-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianbrian View Post

Yeah, I was starting to feel lonely here. I never would have considered Westinghouse if it wasn't for this thread. Being this is my first HD LCD..I am very excited.

On line ordering came with free shipping.....unbelievable! Anyway, I am glad cuz there is no way that puppy would fit on my miata.

I ordered the Oppo 971H to go with.

I'll let you know when I get it.

Aloha,

Brian

I almost picked up a Syntax OLEVIA LT42HVi at Comp USA about 4-6 weeks ago for about $300 more than what the Westhinghouse was going for. Glad I decided not buy that model.

I have been reading the Oppo 970H thread and thinking about getthing that dvd player. I got a Panny RP-82 and Philips DVP-642 dvd player now.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse 42 Inch Ld 4255vx Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page