Sharp LCD with HDMI connection too bright? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2006, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sharp LD-26SH1U 26" LCD tv. I just bought a Sony DVP-NS75H upconverting DVD player. When using the HDMI connection, the PQ is fantastic, but compared to any other source, the HDMI connection is way too bright. I'm forced to reduce the players brightness level all the way down to match the other sources, and even then some scenes still appear just a tad bright..

My first impression was that the player was at fault, but after posting at a thread on the 75H, it seems no one else has this issue, in fact, some users complain the picture is just a tad dark. On my setup, there is a substantial difference in black level between the component and HDMI connection.

At this point, I don't know if my new player is at fault, or my Sharp LCD is causing it. I have no other equipment to test, so my only option would be to exchange the player, and see if the next one does the same thing with my TV. But, before I hassle that, I figured I'd ask around here if anyone with a sharp LCD (espeacially a 2005 model) has had a similar issue when using HDMI.

Anyone??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2006, 01:00 PM

What display mode are you using on the 75h? Most of us 75/85 'ers are using either Cinema or Cinema2 modes.

Also, have you turned the backlight down on your panel? It might help with this issue and will help you get better black levels.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbstbs
What display mode are you using on the 75h? Most of us 75/85 'ers are using either Cinema or Cinema2 modes.

Also, have you turned the backlight down on your panel? It might help with this issue and will help you get better black levels.
I have to use the "memory" mode with a brightness setting of -5 to look normal.

I have always used the panel's highest backlight setting, otherwise things are too dark. My tv's black level is at 48 with 50 being default, and this is a good match for the dvd player's component output. I matched a black 4:3 picture to the tv's black sidebars. With the HDMI connection and the 75H's brightness level at default, I have to set my tv's black level to 43 to acheive the same match. This makes all other sources to dark.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2006, 07:56 PM

It's interesting how just different models make quite a difference, when I had the32" 2006 model Sharp I had to turn the backlight way down to get decent blacks. :D

I really would suggest that you might try turning the backlight down somewhat and try re-calibrating the brightness/contrast levels. Are you using DVE or Avia there?
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2006, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbstbs
It's interesting how just different models make quite a difference, when I had the32" 2006 model Sharp I had to turn the backlight way down to get decent blacks. :D

I really would suggest that you might try turning the backlight down somewhat and try re-calibrating the brightness/contrast levels. Are you using DVE or Avia there?
I've never used a calibration tool. We spend a lot ot time watching regular SD cable, and there is always a huge contrast/brightness difference between different channels. I have always just adjusted the settings for the best balance between all the cable channels, and my DVD playback has always looked normal with the settings I end up with. I have tried messing with the backlight, before, but have always preffered it cranked up, but I will investigate this, again. We also spend a lot of time watching in a well lit room.

I am curious to try a calibration tool. Which one would you recommend for someone who has never used one. I do know that If I calibrated using the Sony with HDMI, everything else would be way to dark. I don't like to have to readjust things between sources. I prefer to "set it and forget it".

Currently, I'm using the Sony with the "memory" settings of -5 for brightness, and +4 for contrast. The picture looks fantastic, but sometimes I feel the black level is just a tad too bright in dark scenes, but it is nice to see some detail in the dark areas, I've never seen before. Reducing contrast helps abit, but reduces the brighter areas a little too much.

I do have to keep reminding myself that I am using an LCD, with limited blacks.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-02-2006, 11:29 PM

The easiest quickest calibration right now is the new ISF/Monster disc. Only does brightness, contrast, sharpness and color though, and no real test patterns.

Next up the scale is Avia, with a full battery of tests and patterns, and then Digital Video Essentials (DVE). There are Pro versions of some of these, as well as signal generators, but we are now talking big bucks and complexity. There are also some other sets some folks in the forums like such as the Get Gray.

Probably the ISF would be a nice place for you to start.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page