Pros & cons in the Sony & Sammy flat panel LCD's - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy a new living room TV. I don't think a bulb TV is the way for me to go since my TV can be on 10 hours a day. I have seen the Sammy LN-S4692D and the Sony KDL-46s2000, I liked what I saw. I, however, don't know what the pros & cons of either TV. I also have heard about the Sammy LN-S4696D coming out soon. The only thing I know of that TV is that it will be 1080P. I'm not sure that makes it worth the wait or the price. On top of that a friend of mine had a Panny 60U delivered today and the glare was not at all as bad as I was led to believe, I have a large window opposite my TV. Can any one fill me in on all of this, I have no idea what is good or bad about any of these TV's. Thanks, Turock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Try seeing that 60U panel in a room with southern exposure around 11AM with the sun streaming in or with lights in the room in the evening - perhaps he lives in an Apt with little windows but if you have a larger home with tall windows that sun will wash out a PDP. (Former 500U owner)

Leave the lights out - block out the sun during daylight - and play all those break in rules that comes with it and the LCD has none and you have a great PDP. The 60U is a good panel for the right viewing conditions and a bright sunny room turns it into a nothing experience for daytime viewing of NCAA/NFL Football, and Movies. You can save money with the PDP that it's main attraction for now or if your used to a direct view panel you may not notice all those reflections that an LCD has ZERO. (BASEMENT)

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3 of 14 Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Current KDL46S2000 owner/former Panny Plasma owner (TH42PX500U).

Pros: Great picture in HD and SD. Perfect for HD gaming. Decent DVD playback. No reflections. No "break in" period. No burn in.

Cons: PQ not as good as plasma (but amost as good). Could have used another HDMI hook-up. Clunky remote.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-29-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

What are the pros & cons between the 3 LCD's, any help there?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-02-2006, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like the Sammy 96 will be out of my price range, that said how does the 92 stack up to the Sony s2000?
post #6 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #7 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 04:45 PM

I can't comment on the Sammy but as for the Sony... I just returned that exact set because the motion blur on moving video was the worst I had ever seen. Chalk this one up to being a Sony fanboy and I purchased it site unseen to play games and watch movies on. I returned it for a 42 inch Panasonic 60u plasma and delt with the breakin. Now I play video games and watch movies blur free. I have had no trouble with IR or burn in. When I went to Hi Fi buys over the weekend I viewed several 40 plus inch LCD panels and the best display I saw was an LG right beside the plasma I purchased. To me it was so close in terms of PQ I would rather have had the LG. Price was the closing deal though. The plasma was dirt cheap.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-05-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turock
It sounds like the Sammy 96 will be out of my price range, that said how does the 92 stack up to the Sony s2000?
I purchased the Samsung LN-S4051D last Saturday and so far love it. I'm still waiting on my HD Comcast box. DVD's look great on it and in store they had a 360 into it and that picture it what sold me on it!
post #9 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Do you have any idea what LG you sa?
post #10 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It was probable the 42" LCD from LG. Don't know the model number.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
What are the pros & cons between the 3 LCD's, any help there?
I just purchased a Sony 40S2000. I compared it to the Samsung 4092 and the JVC 40X887.

I thought the picture on the Sony was slightly more life-like than the Samsung and I thought the SD content looked a little bit better.

For me, it ultimately came down to price because I could tell very little difference between the sets (Samsung & Sony). The JVC looked just as good but the only model they had on display was the 32" version and I was uncomfortable buying one sight unseen.

I believe the Sony is going to be replaced with a new model in September while the JVC and Samsung panels new. This is probably the main reason for the price difference. I was open to paying more for the Samsung or JVC or even the XBR but after comparing all of them I just couldn't justify the paying difference.

As far as inputs go all three had advantages and disadvantages. The Samsung had 2 HDMI, and 2 RF but only 1 component. The Sony had only 1 HDMI and 1 RF but had 2 Component. The JVC had only 1 RF but 2 Component and 2 HDMI.

If I could have taken all three home, calibrated them myself, and used them for a week; I might have selected the Samsung or JVC over the Sony but based on a couple of hours at various stores I thought the Sony was the best overall value.

Now that I have the Sony, I'm happy with it. The picture quality for HD and XBox 360 is outstanding, DVDs are very good, and the SD content varies with the channel.

I do have one stuck sub-pixel; when displaying a completely black pattern I can see one tiny point of green. I can only detect it when standing very close to the set so I didn't feel like it was worth returning. I could just as easily get another set with more stuck/dead pixels.

The only other problem I have is with the HDMI input. If I connect the Comcast DVR via HDMI and switch from HD content (720p/1080i) to SD content or vice versa the picture disappears. It seems to be some kind of sync problem and is probably due to the Comcast box and not the TV.

I ultimately plan on using the HDMI for an HD-DVR or Blu-ray player so I had planned on connecting the Comcast box via component anyway.

After about 3 weeks with the set, I'm still happy with it and don't regret the purchase.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

I know Samsung is coming out with a 1080p set real soon but I have no idea about price. I would like to find out more about the Sony set coming in September though. Will it also be 1080p? Thanks
post #13 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I know Samsung is coming out with a 1080p set real soon but I have no idea about price. I would like to find out more about the Sony set coming in September though. Will it also be 1080p? Thanks
Here's a link to the Sony Press Release:
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/22416.html

And a link to a thread on this forum about the new Sony sets:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=683533

It looks like they are 1080p sets and they also have a 2nd HDMI input.

At least on the model I purchased, the MSRP is about $1000 more than the MSRP on the current generation Sony set.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-06-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Any idea how the new Sammy and Sony sets will compare to each other? Price and features?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page