FP LCD as good as Lcos for PQ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2006, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have too much ambient light to consider a plasma. I like them the best, but have some FP hope in the form of the newest Sony/Samsung offerings in the next few months. It will most likely cost me some screen size, as the FP LCD's are without a doubt the most pricey out there, and don't come bigger than 46"... I can live with that, but is the FP LCD picture generally regarded as good as the top RP Lcos sets (Sony, JVC, etc.)? Or is it a triple beatdown with price, screen size, AND picture quality? I watch TV. HD cable, network shows, tons of sports, some DVD's (cartoons mostly) and still some PS2. Certainly not a home theatre set up.

I had my mind set on FP LCD, but I have to give at least one more passing thought toward RP LCos as I wait for the 46/52 sizes in the top tier.

Viewing from 8-11.5 feet, and a little "from the dining room" viewing at 55 degrees or so off center -

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I'm sure this is a personal opinion but from what I've seen the SXRD has the best PQ out there. For me even better than plasma. JVC is a close second and with the new JVC's incorporating an auto iris the gap with Sony may be closed. The newest LCD's from Samsung and Sony provide the best yet for LCD IMO.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-30-2006, 04:24 PM

I would look at the SXRD in the store at your "dining room" angle before you decide. Rear projection sets get much dimmer as you move "off center" and if you have light problems this may be a deal breaker.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2006, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan
from what I've seen the SXRD has the best PQ out there. For me even better than plasma.
I also really like SXRD picture. I wonder if the plasmas suffer in quality because of their 768 vertical dimension. This requires goofy scaling from ALL sources. OTOH the SXRD has an easy job of scaling 720p and even 480p.

I bet a 1080p plasma would look pretty darn good. I haven't seen one yet. Are you including those in your PQ assessment?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2006, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh
I would look at the SXRD in the store at your "dining room" angle before you decide. Rear projection sets get much dimmer as you move "off center" and if you have light problems this may be a deal breaker.
Excellent idea. I should be more polite at the table, but if I have more than 5 people over, someone will end up sitting off to the side. Thanks for the tip. My in-laws' Mitsu RP really dims as you move even 45 degrees off -
post #6 of 8 Old 07-01-2006, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh
Your absolutely correct as I owned both, however, so far I have never seen any panel present the knock out WoW factor of the SXRD with HD in the "SWEET SPOT" the TV can be amazing in that region. Whereas the new LCD FP's have a sweet spot from virtually anywhere with amazing viewing angles and they keep getting better.

The primary difference IMO is what the SXRD can do with it's levels of details especially in dark scenes and the source which will prove this from my experience is Van Helsing in HD. If you doubt it rent the movie and take it into a store and audition your favorite panels with it. I and my wife unintentionally did this a week apart with both panels and the SXRD was hands down the winner - not even close while the PDP displayed great colors it did not bring out the details that made you go WoW and get this - my wife hated the form factor of the SXRD but throughout the movie was going "wow" and she kept saying maybe we should think about this but she could not overcome her hatred for it's size overwhelming the room in her eyes but she could not deny the WoW factor it presented but she's OCD and nags until she gets her way.

I've brought this up many times and it is not intended to slam PDP's anymore than it is with LCD but when a viewing experience illicits involuntary WOW one can hardly deny the impact. So I challenge those that want to see the difference audition Van Helsing on a Toshiba HD-DVD in a store on both panels and yes you'll require the sweet spot (WoW Spot) for the SXRD but it is very rewarding. Personally I'm dying to see the new Samsung 57" LCD 1080P to do this comparison before I fork over $7500. Thus, if your on the fence give this a shot from a cooperative Store.

Why Van Helsing?

It'll test Black/white with the entry scene with Frankenstein part and wow#1 can it do B/W as it's actually been tested at over 10K:1 CR.

The fight scene in Paris with Jekyl/Hyde giant character - the SXRD details gave a feel to this battle the sense of motion and height a sort of you are there feel as did all the overhead shots from above gave a feeling of being up there - the PDP did not replicate this feeling and neither does my LCD at 45" versus 60".

It'll test for motion as the film is constantly fast action, and the vampiress flight scenes and overhead Pans can be felt on the SXRD at 60". These scenes brought out more details on these hot babes the cleavage was even more defined on the vampiress's and hotter on the SXRD (silent WoW with the wife nearby) ;) .

The unbelievable WoW colors in the Ballroom scenes and more details.

The levels of details brought out in the dark areas of the castle scenes most of which aren't observable on other panels. As someone once said "God is in the details" this is where an SXRD Shines within it's sweet spot sort of like the best seat in the theater - outside the sweet spot PQ quickly degrades especially vertical which believe is 60 degrees. It's hard to put into words but simply I saw details throughout all scene's that were not identifiable on the PDP/LCD.

Yes, the movie is eye candy fluff but it offers much to test what Details can be brought out to actually make you verbalilze the WoW whether your choosing to or not. It forces it. Then one can also confirm this with the Hawaii feed at Circuit City.

My hopes are the new Samsung 57" LCD can match it but cannot find one locally to audition. Of course I own three LCD Fp's and they are fantastic IMO but I've yet to see any panel match the sweet spot of an SXRD and I'm not talking just about black levels as I know every Panny fan will spout the BLACK of the Panny PDP - I'm not talking black I'm talking the entire range of black - white and shades of gray which = the details - black alone does not bring out the details it takes more than the deepest black to turn this trick.

Well Good Luck - try the test and see what's a winner for you. Seeing this is posted in the FP section I don't expect this to get much support but take the challenge objectively if your on the fence and if your wife is tolerant of SXRD size. BTW - I don't mean to ignore JVC but since there aren't any 1080P in my region to view and I haven't owned one I cannot throw it into the mix unseen but not saying it is not equal to the Sony.:)

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #7 of 8 Old 07-01-2006, 05:55 AM

westa gonna get the slim version of the sxrd if it ever comes out?

Plasma/LCD economy: http://www.witsview.com/
post #8 of 8 Old 07-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Having seen both, I'd say that FP LCD has the best picture quality of all displays (under most circumstances). Projection of all types - I'd rate as much further below.

Considering that you'll be viewing off-angle, RPTV is probably not such a good idea. Plasma is of course the best for off-angle image quality, and LCD is very close.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page