LCD/Plasma issues with mounting over fireplace?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-02-2006, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Mikeoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if anyone has had any issues with the heat generated from fireplaces with you lcd/plasmas mounted over the fireplace..?

Is this really a concern w/ the heat generated over fireplaces? I'm looking to mount an lcd/plasma over a fireplace but want to see if this is really going to be an issue.. Seeing as how many people have this done, it shouldn't be, but I just wanted to make sure. Are there any simple things that can be done to help prevent any problems w/ the heat from the fireplace?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Mikeoz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 07-02-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Mikeoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a quick search and didn't find any huge discussion, but people generally saying that it was ok..

Has anyone actually had a plasma/lcd failure due to the heat above a fireplace? Is there really a lot of heat directly above the mantle?

I forgot to mention.. the fireplace is a gas burning fireplace, so hopefully the soot/smoke should be a non-issue. Thanks.
Mikeoz is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2006, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kevin. W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz
I did a quick search and didn't find any huge discussion, but people generally saying that it was ok..

Has anyone actually had a plasma/lcd failure due to the heat above a fireplace? Is there really a lot of heat directly above the mantle?

I forgot to mention.. the fireplace is a gas burning fireplace, so hopefully the soot/smoke should be a non-issue. Thanks.

So I would assume that your fireplace has a fan that blows the heat away from the fireplace. I would suggest you by a thermometer and hang it in the spot where the plasma will be and turn on the fireplace and see what temp it reads. Heat rises, and the plasma probably uses fans too remove heat from the set, since the fans would be drawing air in through the frame off the set and out the top, they would be drawing the hot air coming off the fireplace. You probably get where I'm coming from.
Kevin. W is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2006, 05:21 PM
adb
AVS Special Member
 
adb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: central texas
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most seem to think that if you have a mantle you're OK. I wouldn' think a gas burning fireplace would put out extreme heat.
adb is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2006, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
assJack1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I dont have a fireplace setup but was curious, so I googled and found this



Will the heat from the fireplace harm the plasma TV?

There are a few precautions to take before implementing this TV application. First, take a thermometer and tape it to the wall above the mantel (where the plasma TV will be placed). Then and build a fire, let it roar while. Check the thermometer. If the temperature is above 90 degrees then the area is receiving too much heat - either escaping from the front of the fireplace and rising up the face, or radiating through the chimney to warm the outside wall. In this situation it would not be advisable to run the plasma for a long period of time while its environment is hot. Though the Plasma TV has its own cooling system, the surrounding heat will force the Plasma TV to work harder to cool itself, thus shortening the life of the unit over time. The Plasma TV may still be run for short periods without harming the unit even with the environment heat at 90 degrees or above.
assJack1 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 07-02-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Mikeoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input everyone.. I would start a fire, but it's already 90+ here, and I think that might be a little crazy. :-P I'm thinking that I will be going w/ an lcd, and hopefully that should handle the heat a little better than a plasma. I guess it's a toss up regarding how much of an effect a fireplace will have w/ a plasma/lcd.. Thanks.
Mikeoz is offline  
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off