AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why are TV oriented LCD displays more expensive than computer ones?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  malaugh 
#1 ·
Why are TV oriented LCD displays more expensive than computer ones?

It seems that for the same size display, that's true. Why? They are the

same thing. I'm not talking built-in tuners ... just monitors.

I am looking for an HD capable LCD (i.e. either 720x1280 or 1080x1920, or if 768x1366it uses only 720x1280 when fed HDTV) for my bedside table,

say 20-26 inches. I'm not finding anything at reasonable prices.

What's up? Do "computer-price" ones exist? What do you folks recommend? I also want to use it for a computer monitor, so 1080x1920 would be nice.

Doug McDonald

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcdonald
It seems that for the same size display, that's true. Why? They are the

same thing.
I'm not talking built-in tuners ... just monitors.

I am looking for an HD capable LCD (i.e. either 720x1280 or 1080x1920, or if 768x1366it uses only 720x1280 when fed HDTV) for my bedside table,

say 20-26 inches. I'm not finding anything at reasonable prices.

What's up? Do "computer-price" ones exist? What do you folks recommend? I also want to use it for a computer monitor, so 1080x1920 would be nice.

Doug McDonald
If they are the same thing, just get the computer LCD monitor :)

Usually the TV LCDs get the more advanced response times and better color gamut. Also TV LCDs support HDMI/HDCP (and associated licensing fees) Also they include more inputs like component, svideo, different stretch modes, etc. etc.

The AV market is also generally more willing to pay the higher prices because the market is more specialized. These days anyone can produce a decent computer monitor but only the most experienced AV manufacturers are producing LCD TVs that have a good picture. The standards and expectations for AV usage are just higher than PC (were majority of content is essentially static screens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.