sony lcd and monoprice hdmi cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-03-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May be the wrong thread but does anyone here know of compatibility issues with certain brands of hdmi cables and certain components. My mother recently bought a 55 inch sony lcd. They have cox with an hddvr with hdmi out. I ordered an hdmi cable from monoprice and sang it's praises as I use them at home in my bedroom. It didn't work. Cox guys came today because some moron at Cox said she found through a sub-menu that the 8300 HD isn't HDCP compliant. They brought a new box today and twas the same problem. I told my mom to get a different cable and try it, that being the easist first trouble shooting step for her. Bought one from wal-mart and it worked.

So here is the question. Could it be a compatibility issue with the sony? I have a sony lcd in my living room at home but monster hdmi cables. My monoprice cables are connected from dish 211 and denon s-301 to a samsung lcd in the bedroom via an hdmi switcher. I know that they're hdcp compliant. So is it a compatibility issue or just a bad cable?

"You're not the contents of your wallet. Your'e not your ****ing khakis!"

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-03-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanya
May be the wrong thread but does anyone here know of compatibility issues with certain brands of hdmi cables and certain components. My mother recently bought a 55 inch sony lcd. They have cox with an hddvr with hdmi out. I ordered an hdmi cable from monoprice and sang it's praises as I use them at home in my bedroom. It didn't work. Cox guys came today because some moron at Cox said she found through a sub-menu that the 8300 HD isn't HDCP compliant. They brought a new box today and twas the same problem. I told my mom to get a different cable and try it, that being the easist first trouble shooting step for her. Bought one from wal-mart and it worked.

So here is the question. Could it be a compatibility issue with the sony? I have a sony lcd in my living room at home but monster hdmi cables. My monoprice cables are connected from dish 211 and denon s-301 to a samsung lcd in the bedroom via an hdmi switcher. I know that they're hdcp compliant. So is it a compatibility issue or just a bad cable?
Almost certainly a bad cable. You could try the defective cable with your two sets at home to confirm this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2006, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I live 100 miles away. I'll be back down there next weekend though. I just didn't know if there was a goofy compatibility thing, like faroudja chips and mb on some displays. I'll just have monoprice send me a new one- always good to have an extra one around if nothing else.

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
post #4 of 6 Old 07-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I have a monoprice HDMI cable and a Sony 32XBR1 and it works just fine. All my monoprice cables work perfectly (have components too). Sounds like a defective cable.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-04-2006, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I was really impressed by the cables. Looking at the diameter of the cables compared to my high dollar monsters was a big difference. I'll call monoprice and get it switched.

Tyler Durden, Fight Club
post #6 of 6 Old 07-04-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Unless the monoprice cable you got has a manufacturing defect, it isn't the cable.

Many cable boxes (especially Scientific Atlanta and Motorola) have quirky HDMI implementations and are hard to get working.

The two problems that are most common are needing to turn on the TV before even plugging in the cable box because the cable boxes only perform the full HDMI/HDCP negotiation when the *power plug* is first connected (as opposed to using the *power button* to turn on the box, where partial negotiation is performed) The best was to avoid this problem is to disconnect the power plug from your cable box, turn on your TV so the HDMI connection is fully operational, then plug in the cable box so it performs full negotiation. Now, never turn of the cable box from that point on (it uses the same power whether on or off, so there is no advantage to turn it off)

The other common problem is the cable box not working with HDMI switching receivers. The reason this happens is because there is extra negotiation when HDCP has to deal with repeater-style switcher and many cable box firmware hasn't implemented this correctly. The only fix is to wait for firmware fix from cable company or change to using a passthrough-style switcher.

In my experience it is almost never a problem with the cable (though it is certainly possible to be a cable problem, just unlikely) If it is a problem with the cable (however rare it is) it is usually isolated to that cable only and if you get a replacement, the problem goes away.

Sometimes people are actually experiencing the first problem I described, but think it is a cable problem, because when they try the replacement cable, they changed the sequence of when they turned on or powered on devices.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page