Alternate to LCD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2006, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking into the westy 47" and the sony xbr2/3 46". Both being LCD, I was wondering if there would be any plasmas that would satisfy me if I decide on not getting the westy or the sonys. It would mostly be used as a pc monitor and the occassional movie. I don't want a really large set because I have 13'x10' room and I don't want it to dominate my room. I also would like it to be size range so my mom doesn't think I'm spending more for the size, even though she doesn't know how much the sony would cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 AM

If you going to use it mostly as a PC monitor then forget plasmas because most of them are 1024* 720 max resolution and you might get burn in if you leave your desktop screen or annything still for hours.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismor2
If you going to use it mostly as a PC monitor then forget plasmas because most of them are 1024* 720 max resolution and you might get burn in if you leave your desktop screen or annything still for hours.
I've actually found some plasmas that have anti-burn-in support (making them ideal for computer display use) and they actually have features that the XBR2 (and XBR3) actually lack (while costing less). Both are from Hitachi.

42HDS69 (UltraVision S series)
42HDT52A (UltraVision CineForm series)

Both support CableCARD and HDMI (the 42HDT52A has dual HDMI ports, a motorized swivel stand, and FireWire support as well). Even the 42HDT52A costs less than not merely the KDL-V40XBR2, but the KDL-V40XBR1 (in fact, the 42HDT52A replaced the XBR1 on my radar). S-c-a-r-y.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2006, 12:16 PM

If you are going to use a TV as a PC monitor you will be disappointed. Large PC monitors have many more pixels than a TV. I have a 24" PC monitor (Dell 2405) that has 1200 x 1920 pixels, but the Sony 46" LCD only has 768 x 1366 pixels.

You normally sit close to a PC monitor, so you need more resolution. The Dell does pretty well on movies.

If your primary use is for PC. look at the new Dell monitors, I belive they have 37" now.
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page