HELP ME - Please (LCD v LCD Projection) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this kind of post is probably frowned upon, but I continue to read and read and just get 1,000 different conlficting opinions. Right now I'm looking for the best LCD or LCD Projection TV for my money. I'm not in need of picture perfection, but want a good HD picture. TV will be used mostly for primetime TV viewing and the occassional DVD. After much research my two main choices are:

(1) Samsung 4092 - Probably at the top end of my budget, but seems like a really good TV.

(2) Sony XBR 40 Inch - This was out of my budget until this week when it dipped at Circuit City to $2300. Drawback is one HDMI connection, but I'm not sure how many HDMI connections I would actually need.

(3) Sony 42" Rear Projection LCD - Considerably cheaper than the other two ($1,000 difference). A friend has convinced me to put this on the radar screen. His 50" is awesome, but biggest i want for my space is 42".

So have at it. Please give me the pluses and minuses of each as you know them. I tried reading through the threads, but they were way over my head, so I'm appealing to you all to help me out. THANKS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Early reviews of the Sammy 4095 are not conclusive but seem encouraging. I am eyeing this set now along with the 47 inch 1080P Westy (quality control is the only thing giving me pause on that one). I did briefly own the Sony 42A10 and it is a nice set... IF, and that's a big if to me, silk screen effect doesn't bother you. I had the set for two weeks and the SSE absolutely killed it for me. Oh, and there is also the issue of bulb replacement which in the long run, puts that set in terms of $ right up there with the others anyway.

PSN ID: thebigkahuna1
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

This got buried quick...i Know at least a few people want to help me out. I said please :)

post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2006, 04:04 PM

Personally, I'd go with the direct-view LCD rather than the RP (of course, most people on this forum will say that too). The viewing angles are worse than even a bad LCD, the bulb replacement makes them more expensive than they seem, and the additional bulk makes them uglier and less flexible in terms of placement.

As for the two LCDs, the 4092 is a very nice set, but it can't quite match the XBR for PQ. With the XBR being less expensive than the 4092 these days, I'd go for the XBR in a heartbeat.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-07-2006, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I inherited a Zenith LCD rear pro and I must say direct view LCD has it all over the rear pro. You have to consider the black level (not good in dim scenes) and the bulb life. No one will give you an exact life expectancy of a bulb and I know they are a few hundred dollars. Seriously consider direct view LCD whether Sharp or others.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-07-2006, 06:44 PM

Hi, the reason you get alot of conlficting opinions is because it has to do with the feed the sets are getting. In my opinion the new sammys lcd PQ is Drop dead jaw hit the floor best I have ever seen. I came back with my 360 and happy to say no motion blur with motogp 06 and it was stunning. I had a chance to play with the 57", 46", 40" and all are tops. I will be getting the sets in the fall, early spring and the wait is very hard
post #7 of 9 Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all for the responses. I went to BB and CC tonight and looked around. I do love the new Sammy (4092), and the XBR is great. I think though contrary to everyone here, I am leaning towards the rear projection. Considering all the additional gear I need to get (cables, new dvd or HTIB, surge protector, etc) it may push my budget out of control. I'm looking for a TV with a good picture that displays HD very well and analog well too. I think the rear projection will give me that and hell if I hate it within 30 days i can return it to CC. If you think this is a mistake talk me out of it! I;m willing to listen because I love the Flat Panel LCD's alot.

Next step is a decent HTIB (no rear speakers!). Any suggestions?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-07-2006, 08:15 PM
umr
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochOAR
...Next step is a decent HTIB (no rear speakers!). Any suggestions?
I would take a serious look at a Yamaha YSP with a HSU Research subwoofer.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2006, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochOAR
Thanks all for the responses. I went to BB and CC tonight and looked around. I do love the new Sammy (4092), and the XBR is great. I think though contrary to everyone here, I am leaning towards the rear projection. Considering all the additional gear I need to get (cables, new dvd or HTIB, surge protector, etc) it may push my budget out of control. I'm looking for a TV with a good picture that displays HD very well and analog well too. I think the rear projection will give me that and hell if I hate it within 30 days i can return it to CC. If you think this is a mistake talk me out of it! I;m willing to listen because I love the Flat Panel LCD's alot.

Next step is a decent HTIB (no rear speakers!). Any suggestions?
I just picked up the Samsung LN-S4051D and I love it. Maybe alittle more in your price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page