Help! NES and SNES video problems with my Samsung lcd hdtv!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-08-2006, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HELP!! I recently purchased a mint SNES and a NES(side load model-lockout chip was replaced,works fine!) off of ebay (We won't discuss how much i paid
I hook either of these systems into my Samsung ln-r409d lcd hdtv and i get a really nasty yellow vertical streak down the middle of my screen. The two systems audio are fine, gameplay is fine. The video is hideous!! The in-game characters for instance, when they are slightly brighter or whenever theres is any brighter sprites there is a ghosting image on the far-left side of the screen! I have played multiple games on the snes and the nes, and i get the same video artifacting with both systems and all the games. At first i thought i got screwed by my seller on ebay. I tried the 2 systems on a sharp s.def 480i lcd tv and theres no image artifacting and no yellow streak either. I have two 32" tube tvs (1hd, 1 non-hd) no streaking or artifacting. My friend let me borrow his snes, i tried it on my samsung and i get the same image clutter and artfacting as i do with my own snes! I tried buying new av cables, i tried cleaning the tabs for both the cartridges. I tried all 3 of the yellow composite connectors on my tv, same image clutter. I tried every single display setting that exists on that freakin tv and that nasty clutter stays right there. I have a n64,sega genesis2,ps2,gamecube,xbox,x360, and a dreamcast, non of these other systems have any kind of image clutter whatsoever. My nes and my snes are the only systems having this problem with my new tv. I'm going crazy. Contra 3 looks absolutely hideous with all that image clutter! Please! Any information would be helpful !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 PM

Congrats on the SNES and NES! Coincidentally, after much searching, I managed to find TWO MINT condition NES systems on ebay, they were in practically unopened condition, came with mint condition box, with all manuals, wrappings and the "new" smell still very much present; still have my original SNES (and Contra III btw) so I will hold off on picking up a new-ish SNES. Anyway, the NES, especially, had lots of weird graphics that would sometimes be rendered in the typical "overscan area" of a CRT, perhaps that is part of your problem; though the SNES usually never had any wierd, out of overscan range issues, so perhaps not). Other than that, perhaps it is some sort of sync problem or even an impedence mismatch. If there is an impedence switch on the monitor make sure it is switched to 75 ohms. Last thing, although this is blantantly obvious, try different cables if you have them. I hope this works out for you, though I have a feeling it may be something with the scalar not liking the NES scan pattern (it is a little odd, even on CRT's it does not look perfect, hence why you usually see the wierd off-screen graphics on TV's that have appropriately reduced overscan).
post #3 of 23 Old 07-08-2006, 05:51 PM

This also happens to me with my Samsung 32inch ln3241d. There is a green bar straight down the middle when i play Super Metroid, or anything with a black background. The games still look great though. 360, PS2, and Gamecube look simply amazing on this set in game mode.
post #4 of 23 Old 07-08-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your info. Well, tried my gamecube cables with the SNES(the older,boxier model by the way), exact same thing. I tried the s-video connection from my snes to the tv, theres no signal. Swapped out cables for the NES (The nes uses just a yellow and white pair, the snes uses the same connector type as the n64 and gamecube). Same video artifacting. Something i didn't try before: My vcr has a AV input and a AV output. About half-hour ago, i ran my snes and nes AV through the vcr's AV in. Switched the vcr to the appropriate AV setting, then ran the AV-out from the vcr back to the AV-in on the TV. Exact same artifacts and ghost images. Doesn't solve anything, but it does answer a few questions. Again i have a genesis1&2, n64, a 3do (crappy games), and a sega cd. There is no artifacts whatsoever with these systems. Any ideas anyone ?
post #5 of 23 Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgamer247 View Post

... i have a genesis1&2, n64, a 3do (crappy games), and a sega cd. There is no artifacts whatsoever with these systems.

Thanks for doing some indirect research for me. I was wondering if my old videogame systems would work on the brand-new LCD TV I'm looking to buy. Apparently as long as I don't hook-up an SNES (for which I have a few games) or NES (which I don't have) I'll be OK. Anybody with vintage Sega Master, Colecovision and/or Atari 2600/5200/7800 systems dare to connect their systems to their brand-new plasmas or LCD TV's to see the fireworks take off?
post #6 of 23 Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I just hooked up my SNES to my Dad's Samsung LN-S3238D and have the exact same line running through the middle of the screen. It is a yellow/greenish line that is about an inch thick that runs from the top to the bottom of the screen. It is not a solid line, but it is many diagonal lines that make up this line. It only appears on really dark or black backgrounds. I wonder why this seems to only happen on samsung tvs?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #7 of 23 Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 AM

NES, SNES, and N64 output a weird 240p video format, maybe the Samsungs can't handle that? Just a thought.

Sorta related; I once tried plugging a 240p game system into a Tivo to see if I could record some stuff to show friends later, and the Tivo got snarky at me and said "invalid video signal".
post #8 of 23 Old 12-19-2006, 05:37 AM

Why not buy a Wii and download the SNES & NES games onto it?
post #9 of 23 Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVDAD View Post

Why not buy a Wii and download the SNES & NES games onto it?

No need to take the troll bait.

Thanks gigabit, that may have something to do with it. It is only temporary while I ride out mono over at their house (mom's fixing meals, love her). I just moved it back to my old 19" crt and it has no problems.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #10 of 23 Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM

I'm having the same problem, yellow bar in the middle of my new Samsung 26in LCD TV while playing any SNES games. I see the yellow line even when there no games in the system.

The rest of my consoles ( N64, SegaCD, XBOX, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS1, PS2 Gamecube, Wii) look amazing on it.

I've got a clone NES/SNES system, the FC Twin. I see the yellow bar but when I play the NES side, there's no yellow bar at all.

When I connect it onto my computer through a ATI TV tuner ( have a LCD 17in monitor ) and onto a regular 20' CRT TV - its perfect.

Want to know if there a bypass/go-around for this ??

Thanks in advance.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 PM

......I have a SNES which I run into a Sony 1st generation Bravia ( KLVS40A10 ) with no issues whatsoever. My method might alleviate your problems. I use component video switching through my receiver.

I used to run my DVD player and HD box into the two component video inputs on my receiver, then the component monitor out to the TV. When I got the SNES last month I added a composite (yellow RCA cable) monitor out run from the receiver to the TV and stuck the SNES RCA input into the receiver.

It works perfectrly, but the problem this created is the TV's component video input is "video 4" and the rear composite input is "video 3" so whereas before I was permanently on video 4 I now have to cycle all the way through 5, 6, 7, 1, 2 to get to the SNES feed. Kind of a pain but no biggie.

Let me know if that works for you guys. Maybe "washing" the signal through the receiver will do the trick. I DON'T intend to try plugging the SNES directly into my TV for fear of witnessing these ghastly yellow bars!
post #12 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewbruno View Post

......I have a SNES which I run into a Sony 1st generation Bravia ( KLVS40A10 ) with no issues whatsoever. My method might alleviate your problems. I use component video switching through my receiver.

I used to run my DVD player and HD box into the two component video inputs on my receiver, then the component monitor out to the TV. When I got the SNES last month I added a composite (yellow RCA cable) monitor out run from the receiver to the TV and stuck the SNES RCA input into the receiver.

It works perfectrly, but the problem this created is the TV's component video input is "video 4" and the rear composite input is "video 3" so whereas before I was permanently on video 4 I now have to cycle all the way through 5, 6, 7, 1, 2 to get to the SNES feed. Kind of a pain but no biggie.

Let me know if that works for you guys. Maybe "washing" the signal through the receiver will do the trick. I DON'T intend to try plugging the SNES directly into my TV for fear of witnessing these ghastly yellow bars!

On my XBR1 Bravia, there is a "skip" option under the input renaming menu, which sets inputs to never be selected, it just skips over them. You might want to check for that on your set as you could have it just skip all the way from 4 back to 3.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 AM

Liked: 11
you can make component cables for snes. i dunno about nes though. that would make the picture MUCH better.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

No need to take the troll bait.

Thanks gigabit, that may have something to do with it. It is only temporary while I ride out mono over at their house (mom's fixing meals, love her). I just moved it back to my old 19" crt and it has no problems.

How is that taken "Troll Bait"? I sold both my NES & SNES in MINT shape on eBay last year. I myself will end up with a Wii in a few months & I'll D/L the old games. What's wrong with that?
post #15 of 23 Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 AM

hey guys--same problem here with my N64 and samsung ln-s3251d ....any updates on this?
post #16 of 23 Old 03-01-2008, 05:54 PM

I had a similar problem with my Sony Bravia 40" LCD (KVR2500 or something model). When I tried to hook up my NES with a standard AV cable, I got a blank yellow screen. So I ran a composite cable from the NES to a regular video input on my TV (using only the green video and red audio cables) and the NES is working fine.

I have no idea how or why this is working, but I'll take it.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Are you guys against emulators?

Not a problem if you want the authentic feel of the original game console setup and all, but if you are just looking to play the old games, there are free emulators that will play all of these games pretty well.

If you can't get your consoles to work, running an emulator of it is another option.

-Suntan
post #18 of 23 Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Are you guys against emulators?

Not a problem if you want the authentic feel of the original game console setup and all, but if you are just looking to play the old games, there are free emulators that will play all of these games pretty well.

If you can't get your consoles to work, running an emulator of it is another option.

-Suntan

Unfortunately, even the best emulators aren't perfect, especially for the SNES. The audio is just too tricky to get exactly right. Try playing Chrono Trigger.

And to be honest, nothing beats playing the games on the big-screen TV with the original controllers. Sometimes I can make do with a PS2 controller (or, as suggested by others, the Classic Controller on the Wii), but the SNES had one of the best-feeling controllers ever created. My left thumb gets worn out on the Dual Shock's D-Pad, an issue I never had with the SNES's controller. Besides, if you actually own the original system as I still do (and it still works despite years and years of use, thanks to the kind folks at the Nintendo Service Center) why not use it?

--Edit--
Crap, I just revived a thread seven months old. I really should check the dates on the posts before replying.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-24-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparroHawc View Post

Unfortunately, even the best emulators aren't perfect, especially for the SNES. The audio is just too tricky to get exactly right. Try playing Chrono Trigger.

And to be honest, nothing beats playing the games on the big-screen TV with the original controllers. Sometimes I can make do with a PS2 controller (or, as suggested by others, the Classic Controller on the Wii), but the SNES had one of the best-feeling controllers ever created. My left thumb gets worn out on the Dual Shock's D-Pad, an issue I never had with the SNES's controller. Besides, if you actually own the original system as I still do (and it still works despite years and years of use, thanks to the kind folks at the Nintendo Service Center) why not use it?

--Edit--
Crap, I just revived a thread seven months old. I really should check the dates on the posts before replying.

I agree.

Don't worry about the rival of the thread. Actually, I'm curious to know if anyone that has a newer LNxxAx50 series of tvs has this problem.

post #20 of 23 Old 10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

well if anything just get the roms and use a pc, dvi to hdmi, probably will look a lot cleaner at 1080p.
post #21 of 23 Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82 View Post

well if anything just get the roms and use a pc, dvi to hdmi, probably will look a lot cleaner at 1080p.

The point SparroHawc makes and I agree with is that we do not need or want to use an emulator.

post #22 of 23 Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 AM

There is definitely something said to playing on the actual hardware but I don't want 1/2 a dozen old consoles hanging off my TV. I modded a 1st gen Xbox and have all the emulators (for every console you can think of) running on that so if I ever feel the need to play an old game I just fire that up. Not to mention, DVD, avi movies, etc can run off it and you can also file share over your home network with your PC.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

I agree.

Don't worry about the rival of the thread. Actually, I'm curious to know if anyone that has a newer LNxxAx50 series of tvs has this problem.

I have a LN52A630 and an original SNES with a Svideo cable. The picture and sound are fine with the SNES connected directly to the Samsung LCD. It works for RF, Composite, and Svideo from the SNES. Svideo is especially nice and a noticeable improvement over the blurry composite.

I also have a Denon AVR-1909 with a HDMI connection to the Samsung. If i try to let the Denon upconvert the Svideo to HDMI, I get no picture. I think the SNES must have a non-standard video signal that prevents upconversion.

Greg
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page