Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering either the

Samsung LN-S2651D 26" LCD TV

or the

Sony BRAVIA KDL-V26XBR1 26" LCD TV

(sorry forum wouldn't let me link it)

I looked at both in the store and the Samsung's colors looked slightly better than the Sony. The crispness of the picture looked identical though. Sony is obviously charging a premium for its brand name, but it also has some features the Samsung does not have. I plan on hooking it up to a media center pc.

I am not sure if there are any advantages of one over the other featurewise. If there aren't any significant feature differences I think I'd go with the cheaper Samsung. Anyone know if that commercial volume equalizer is worth it? I hate how the volume of commercials goes up and the Sony apparently fixes that.

Opinions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-08-2006, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Don't get the Sony if you plan on playing games because the ghosting is terrible.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-08-2006, 05:42 PM

I thought the xbr is good for gaming.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-08-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Are all response times equal? I have a 16ms lcd monitor for my pc and haven't noticed ghosting playing games and this TV is 8ms unless I am mistaken.

Also, do the samsung's have that bad of an issue with dark scenes as I have been reading here?
post #5 of 22 Old 07-08-2006, 06:19 PM

i would go with the sony. in the store i like the pic a lot better
post #6 of 22 Old 07-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I would go for the Samsung. I have the 32 and it has an excellent picture, also works very good with pcs... had my pc hooked up to it this morning.

HD DVD & Blu Ray Owner
post #7 of 22 Old 07-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I choose the 26XBR. I thought it had the best colors and the least amount of motion blur of all the TV's I looked at and I looked at a lot of them at many different stores. The Sammy was my second choice though.

There are some really good deals on the XBR right now, wish I had waited a few months. But thats always the case with electronics.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-08-2006, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

What are your thoughts on purchasing something like this online? Is it usually a better idea to get it from a big name B&M like Circuit City in case I have some dead pixel issues or something along those lines?
post #9 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

I always buy my TV's locally, its a lot easier to take them back if you have problems or just don't like them. Usually the prices are about the same (except for tax) as most of the online places that I would consider buying from. I bought my XBR from a local Magnolia (non Best Buy) and their prices were excellent at that time.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You can't adjust the backlight manually on the Samsungs, to the best of my knowledge. That means when you get it home out of the brightly lit store, chances are the overall light output will be overpowering.

The Sonys offer that adjustment so you get a much nicer picture, and have far better video processing (WEGA Engine vs Samsung's DNIe). From what I gather, the DNIe processing is detrimental to the picture and applies a lot of oversharpening.

I would go for the Sony.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #11 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 08:31 AM

Sold. That's a very important feature. You may want to consider the Panny 26 and 32 (well really 30) inch models as well. The backlight is adjustable too.

"If you don't know what to do...about a world of trouble...take the golden rule...as the best example...eyes that have seen...will know what I mean..." -TR 1973
post #12 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I went to Circuit City to get the Sony, but it was out of stock and apparently they are discontinuing that model XBR so I decided to get the 32" samsung on an impulse. Got it home and it looks great, but the terrible thing is I paid for the LN-S3251D and the guy from pickup handed me the box for the LN-S3241D (the cheaper model). I just happened to notice the model # difference on the receipt and box a few moments ago :(

This is going to be an interesting return. Besides the base and lit speaker well is there any big difference between the two that warrants the price? I haven't decided if I will keep this and take the price adjustment refund or return and get the one I paid for.

Either way what a crappy mistake they made ><
post #13 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 08:11 PM

higher contrast ratio 4000-1
all black with swival base
post #14 of 22 Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby515
higher contrast ratio 4000-1
all black with swival base
That is dynamic contrast, not actual contrast.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 AM

thezap,

The s3241d has a dynamic contrast of 3000:1, the s3251d 4000:1.

In actual fact, I find the difference between the two displays to be more dramatic than the numbers alone would suggest. The 51d uses a s-pva panel - the most recent panel created by Samsung & Sony's joint manufacturing venture. To my eye, it provides a much better overall viewing experience than the 41d, including increased viewing angle.

I had the 41d and traded it up for the 51d. To me, the improved picture quality was absolutely worth the relatively small price difference. I am very happy with the pq on the 51d.

BTW, the backlight is adjustable.

On a further note, I use this panel with an xbox and have never seen any ghosting.

On a final note, to my surprise, I actually don't actually find the DNIe on the Samsung intrusive, and actually prefer it in most viewing situations. Apparently it is much improved over last year's model. A/V zealots drive themselves crazy over these sorts of "artificial" enhancements, but at the end of the day you have to decide what looks good to you.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezap
I went to Circuit City to get the Sony, but it was out of stock and apparently they are discontinuing that model XBR so I decided to get the 32" samsung on an impulse. Got it home and it looks great, but the terrible thing is I paid for the LN-S3251D and the guy from pickup handed me the box for the LN-S3241D (the cheaper model). I just happened to notice the model # difference on the receipt and box a few moments ago :(

This is going to be an interesting return. Besides the base and lit speaker well is there any big difference between the two that warrants the price? I haven't decided if I will keep this and take the price adjustment refund or return and get the one I paid for.

Either way what a crappy mistake they made ><
Take it back and demand some sort of compensation for the hassel. It was their mistake, not yours.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 09:43 AM

I have the Samsing LN-S4051D, and a Xbox 360. They work great together, the screen has great color and good blacks.

The swivel stand on the bottom is a great, I was surprised after I bought the TV how much I used it.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

They exchanged it this morning no hassle. I got it home and I sware I am either imagining things or this model has the issue with dark scenes being too dark (the DNIe complaint I read ont he other posts) on this model and the other one didn't. Am I losing my mind now or could this be possible?
post #19 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezap
They exchanged it this morning no hassle. I got it home and I sware I am either imagining things or this model has the issue with dark scenes being too dark (the DNIe complaint I read ont he other posts) on this model and the other one didn't. Am I losing my mind now or could this be possible?
That's exactly the reason I went with the XBR1 over the Samsung. I viewed the two in a side by side comparison watching Moulin Rouge (from a sampling DVD) on an upconverting DVD player. Both sets were set to standared mode without any customizing beyond that. The Sony did much better in the darks. At home I am pleased with the Sony's performance with dark scences.

When at the movies on Saturday (took my kids to see Superman -- less than super movie IMO), I paid especialy close attention to the darks and came away with the conclusion that the Sony is handling darks quite competently.

I would shop around and find a B&M that has the Sony in stock. With recent price drops it is quite competitive and seems to have better features than the forthcoming XBR2.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 11:15 AM

thezap,

Have you run a calibration disk, such as DVE or Avia, or even just a THX optimizer? With a bit of adjustment, I think you will notice a big difference. If you don't have a calibration reference disk, try looking through some of the posts on the main Samsung thread. There are a number of settings there that will serve as an excellent starting point.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks twofeet I'll look around.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-10-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think I fixed it with the manual brightness adjustment :)
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page