New Syntax Olevia TV models - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msteiner View Post

Yes I would like to know if they have a stretch mode with very little distortion.

Taking a 4:3 image and filling 16:9 will either result in cropping the top and bottom(zooming in) but with no distortion OR stretching it where there must always be distortion, no way around it.
Flatliner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, 532H how the hell do I turn off noise reduction, it's blurring the crap out of my DVD's

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #273 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Member
 
induna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those who are concerned about ordering from DataVision: I ordered a 532H at 7am MST today. I received an email confirmation in about an hour and a tracking # by email at 1:30pm. It was picked up by UPS in Long ISland City, NY at 5:40pm EDT with a scheduled delivery data of 8/23 in Phoenix, AZ. So far so good. I will update my experience.
induna is offline  
post #274 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Member
 
msteiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Taking a 4:3 image and filling 16:9 will either result in cropping the top and bottom(zooming in) but with no distortion OR stretching it where there must always be distortion, no way around it.

I know this, but some televisions have a mode where it called anamorphic or something and it makes the picture not appeared as stretched, like it makes the middle of the picture not stretched i think
msteiner is offline  
post #275 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Member
 
westcoastnative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Datavision is offering a 3 year warranty on their 32" 532H LCD for an extra $99.00. Would I be wise to purchase one or are these just a waste of money.
westcoastnative is offline  
post #276 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Raistlin_HT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY area
Posts: 2,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk007 View Post

Well actually I noticed that when I designated the 532H LCD TV as a secondary monitor (VGA output), set the resolution to 1360*768, and extended desktop view to it, I always found that the resolution on the TV set was actually 640*480 (expanded to full screen), not 1360*768 as I expected. And so is my laptop, it's resolution changed from 1024*768 to 640*480. Is this normal or am I missing something here? However, when I used the desktop software that comes with my laptop's intel chipset(my video card is the on-board kind) to do "dual display clone", then the image on my TV set is the same as my laptop, which is 1024*768, and expanded to full screen. I don't know if this is just because of my video card or something else. Has anyone ever had a 1360*768 resolution desktop view sent to this TV? Please educate me how to do that. Thanks.


I'm just guessing here ... but it may have issues running at multiple resolutions at the same time.

Can you try turning off the display on your laptop? ... for many laptops, simply closing it will turn off that screen while leaving the VGA output going.
Raistlin_HT is offline  
post #277 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msteiner View Post

I know this, but some televisions have a mode where it called anamorphic or something and it makes the picture not appeared as stretched, like it makes the middle of the picture not stretched i think

There are Two "Distortion" modes for the 532H and 4:3. Full Screen and Widescreen. Full screen distorts everything and stretches to the edges and Widescreen distorts the right and left edges(dramatically) but the center looks fairly normal. I prefer the Zoom 1 mode which gives no distortion but crops the top and bottom to fill the screen.
Flatliner is offline  
post #278 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

Ok, 532H how the hell do I turn off noise reduction, it's blurring the crap out of my DVD's

I wonder if it is indeed some sort of noise reduction. I'm seeing some motion blurring with Analog Standard Definition channels AND with my older non-progressive scan DVD player. I don't see it with Digital or HD channels and my guess is that it would not show up with a Progressive Scan/upscaling DVD player. Seems like to me its some sort of De-interlacing artifact with the ATI chip and interlaced material. I would be curious if its something that could be fixed with Firmware. Of note is that I once used an Oppo DVD player with this TV and saw the exact same issue only when the Noise Reduction was enabled in the Oppo Player so maybee your on the right track with the noise reduction idea. BroChaos? Any ideas.
Flatliner is offline  
post #279 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

I wonder if it is indeed some sort of noise reduction. I'm seeing some motion blurring with Analog Standard Definition channels AND with my older non-progressive scan DVD player. I don't see it with Digital or HD channels and my guess is that it would not show up with a Progressive Scan/upscaling DVD player. Seems like to me its some sort of De-interlacing artifact with the ATI chip and interlaced material. I would be curious if its something that could be fixed with Firmware. Of note is that I once used an Oppo DVD player with this TV and saw the exact same issue only when the Noise Reduction was enabled in the Oppo Player so maybee your on the right track with the noise reduction idea. BroChaos? Any ideas.

This noise reduction is happeneing on progressive scan DVD, but not HDTV. It's definatly noise reduction of sorts since static scenes are beautiful.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #280 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

This noise reduction is happeneing on progressive scan DVD, but not HDTV. It's definatly noise reduction of sorts since static scenes are beautiful.

Thats strange. I did not see any motion blur/persistant image problems on the Oppo V971H connected via HDMI(DVI-HDMI cable) when I turned noise reduction off in the Oppo. The Oppo is an up scaling player as well. Could also be something with the Scaling on the 532H and not just the de-interlacing? Or perhaps with your DVD player?
Flatliner is offline  
post #281 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Thats strange. I did not see any motion blur/persistant image problems on the Oppo V971H connected via HDMI(DVI-HDMI cable) when I turned noise reduction off in the Oppo. The Oppo is an up scaling player as well. Could also be something with the Scaling on the 532H and not just the de-interlacing? Or perhaps with your DVD player?

I've had this DVD player for 5 years, I know it's picutre. The 532H is applying noisereduction and de-interlacing ( yes I'm positive ) to all non HD sources even if it's already 480p. For reference it's a panny RP-56, it got one of the higest scored as a componient player.

This is basicly a dealbreaker and will totally screw with SD/ED quality.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #282 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried some reference materal such as "the fifth element" supoerbit and I can clearly see burring and "jitters". It's better with this materal than the other, but it's even so bad my wife can see it. All the problems resolve when using XBMC @ 720p to play the same reference materal, no blurring, no jitters.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #283 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

I've had this DVD player for 5 years, I know it's picutre. The 532H is applying noisereduction and de-interlacing ( yes I'm positive ) to all non HD sources even if it's already 480p. For reference it's a panny RP-56, it got one of the higest scored as a componient player.

This is basicly a dealbreaker and will totally screw with SD/ED quality.

So how would it de-interlace an image which is already so? The Oppo DVD image definately did not have any noise reduction or anything else applied to it when hooked up via HDMI so I don't believe the 532H does that with a pure digital signal thrugh HDMI so perhaps its an analog/component issue with the set.
Flatliner is offline  
post #284 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

I have tried some reference materal such as "the fifth element" supoerbit and I can clearly see burring and "jitters". It's better with this materal than the other, but it's even so bad my wife can see it. All the problems resolve when using XBMC @ 720p to play the same reference materal, no blurring, no jitters.


I used that exact same movie when evaluating the Oppo by the way. It definately sounds like an analog input issue with the set.
Flatliner is offline  
post #285 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

I used that exact same movie when evaluating the Oppo by the way. It definately sounds like an analog input issue with the set.

Same analog cables and input @720p or 1080i shows no noise reduction

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #286 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

So how would it de-interlace an image which is already so?

I dont' know how, but I;m positive that I'm seeing interlacing on video that I know is progressive.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #287 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

Same analog cables and input @720p or 1080i shows no noise reduction

So basically, anytime the TV is fed either 480i or 480P, there is an issue through component but if fed a higher resolution, no problem.
Flatliner is offline  
post #288 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

So basically, anytime the TV is fed either 480i or 480P, there is an issue through component but if fed a higher resolution, no problem.

Exactly, without being able to turn this off it will cause countless problems.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #289 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

So basically, anytime the TV is fed either 480i or 480P, there is an issue through component but if fed a higher resolution, no problem.

Could you try 480p through HDMI and see if you get the same "effect"?

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #290 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

Could you try 480p through HDMI and see if you get the same "effect"?

Unfortunately, I returned the Oppo V971H last week because I was seeing Macroblocking with it. At the moment, all I have is an old 480i non progressive player and it too shows the issues you describe. I thought it was just because it was a non progressive player but now I know that I will need to buy a decent upscaling player to replace it to avoid this issue. Hopefully, someone else could test this.
Flatliner is offline  
post #291 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Unfortunately, I returned the Oppo V971H last week because I was seeing Macroblocking with it. At the moment, all I have is an old 480i non progressive player and it too shows the issues you describe. I thought it was just because it was a non progressive player but now I know that I will need to buy a decent upscaling player to replace it to avoid this issue. Hopefully, someone else could test this.

Or syntax could release a real firmware with those controls.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #292 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

Or syntax could release a real firmware with those controls.

Well, that would be great. Oppo actually released a Firmware which fixed their noise reduction ghosting issue. Hopefully that ATI chip used is up to the task... I guess thats one area where that HQV chip in the 7 series would make a huge difference.
Flatliner is offline  
post #293 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Member
 
BroChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well i'm not with a set or a dvd player right now. have you guys tried setting the mode to whatever you are using?

i think it's menu>picture>mode>(gets fuzzy here)input device?

we use the fifth element as a reference disc as well. perhaps i can get something setup when i have a chance.
BroChaos is offline  
post #294 of 1900 Old 08-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Member
 
msteiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So in english terms are we saying that the new 5 series syntax has motion blurring and other problems when using a dvd player?
msteiner is offline  
post #295 of 1900 Old 08-18-2006, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At this point we are saying that 480i and 480p sources will look like mud to anyone who knows what to look for. We are talking low grade de-noise ( and I really do mean low grade since it trys to blur cross scene boundaries ). Choopyness that I can only presume is the player attempting to do 2:3 checking and failing badly ( on an already progressive source )

It's a shame since the HD picture 720 and 1080i are gorgeous and show none of the same defects. I really don't want to spend another $200 to correct these defects since they will rear their ugly heads on any 480p/i source.

For now I would say anyone interested in a quality 480p/i source should AVOID the ATI based 5 series ( 26, 32" ) for the time being. This IS something that can be fixed in firmware and I will be calling today to harass them about this flaw.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #296 of 1900 Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post

well i'm not with a set or a dvd player right now. have you guys tried setting the mode to whatever you are using?

i think it's menu>picture>mode>(gets fuzzy here)input device?

we use the fifth element as a reference disc as well. perhaps i can get something setup when i have a chance.

I would love to get sometihng setup, right now it appears to happen on all modes when fed 480p ( Was using High Def most of the night ). With reference materal like 5th element the effect is reduced, but definatly still there, with mixed quality source like B5 it's blatently apparent. I happen to be able to recognize it because for a while I converted TV to SVCD and this is the same effect that I have used in the past to de-noise.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #297 of 1900 Old 08-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post

well i'm not with a set or a dvd player right now. have you guys tried setting the mode to whatever you are using?

i think it's menu>picture>mode>(gets fuzzy here)input device?

we use the fifth element as a reference disc as well. perhaps i can get something setup when i have a chance.

Makes no difference as to the input setting mode is used. The input mode appears to only adjust Brightness/Contrast. The motion blurring is definately there on Standard Definition sources where the TV must do the De-interlacing/upscaling. It did not show up when I used a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD Cable box/Personal Video Recorder initially as I had set that device to output 720P to the TV(So the de-interlacing and upscaling took place in the Box, not the TV). To test this, simply watch any 480i source such as a standard DVD player(mines non progressive) or direct cable without a box and/or over the air source. The only place it will not be an issue is with HD, 720P, 1080i material. This definately needs to be addressed by syntax as it will show up on 90% of everything watched and basically nullifies the claims of "True De-interlacing", "3:2 Pull Down", "8ms response times" and "motion adaptive processing" as it looks like your watching a display with a very slow response time(Blurring and Ghosting) and without these other features(and would need to rely on the input device to provide them).
Flatliner is offline  
post #298 of 1900 Old 08-18-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
snowmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to clarify I went from a 100" 4:3 DLP front projection down to this. I only have high quality sources ( ATSC tuner, DVD player, Xbox ) and the 480i/p look like crap compared to my poorly configured XGA DLP and 720/1080 looks 100% better.

This is a problem with the set. This is a problem ONLY with 480i/p

When I first saw it I assumed my DVD player was in interlaced mode, but progressive saw 0 change in the quality.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
snowmoon is offline  
post #299 of 1900 Old 08-18-2006, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Raistlin_HT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY area
Posts: 2,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ruh roh ...

Syntax better start working on a fix for this ...
Raistlin_HT is offline  
post #300 of 1900 Old 08-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Its interesting that on some 480i channels the flaw is worse(or just more noticeable) than others. Seems to have a lot to do with both how the original material was recorded(Video or Film) AND the contrast of that material. For instance, The History Channel which is mostly Video based looks better than say a movie on TNT. Less contrasty material shows the Blurring much more than a High Contrast image. It really bothers me most on my DVD player.
Flatliner is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off