New Syntax Olevia TV models - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
J and R doesn't have the Syntax in stock in their retail store, but they did have the Samsung. It's a nice TV, but the screen is way too big for my apartment, so I'm going with the 537H based on comments by those who already purchased one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 11:16 AM

I have not posted before and I am not permitted to post a URAL but would like to know if the information on the product advertisement for the 747i posted at the stearin site is accurate.

starin.info/Product%20Info/Olevia/747i.pdf#search=%22747i%20signature%22

Can someone go to this address and see if this is the 747i product brochure?
post #363 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 12:16 PM

Does anyone have a 542i yet?
post #364 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 01:55 PM

I would just like to confirm that the 480i issue is NOT present on the 427 version as it is with the 527v. I would assume the same goes for the 532H, but obviously that's only a guess. I'm not sure how different the 4 and 5 series are (I heard not much at all) so anyone interested may want to check out officedepot.com, they have both the 27 and 32 (. The image quality is fantastic.
post #365 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Just received a 537H today. Inputs are from a Comcast HD cable box and a Toshie HD-A1. The TV is set up for 1:1. Watched HD-DVD Laura Croft, Tomb Raider, SD A Clockwork Orange, and some home made DVD's originally in Mini DV tape. All were outstanding. I can see the loss of deep black but it doesn't bother me a bit. Right now I'm watching NASCAR on HD and the PQ is phenominal. Purchased form J&R for a very good price. The set was back ordered for about three weeks before they shipped but well worth the wait. So far, so good.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #366 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 06:35 PM

were you able to fill the screen with SD stations? If so, how is the PQ? I am going to order this set in the next few days...

Jeff
post #367 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Did anyone buy an extended warranty with there syntax TV - looking at getting the 37"..

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #368 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 07:55 PM

yeah, I too would like to know about the extended warranty. their shipping and warranty prices kill the deal...I wouldn't feel comfortable buying this tv without at least a 3 year warranty...

Jeff
post #369 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betweenthepipes View Post

yeah, I too would like to know about the extended warranty. J&R has great prices, but their shipping and warranty prices kill the deal...I wouldn't feel comfortable buying this tv without at least a 3 year warranty...

Jeff

Call your CC and see what they offer.
post #370 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Did anyone buy an extended warranty with there syntax TV - looking at getting the 37"..

I did.
For just buying it with my CC that makes it 2 years and I can buy a 5 year from them for $112(within 6 months). But so far I don't think I'm going to.
post #371 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 10:05 PM

you can buy a warranty through your credit card company? What card did you purchase the TV with? Do you actually get a document that proves you have a warranty on the television? Who would come out and fix the TV if there was a problem?

Jeff
post #372 of 1900 Old 08-26-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:

you can buy a warranty through your credit card company? What card did you purchase the TV with? Do you actually get a document that proves you have a warranty on the television? Who would come out and fix the TV if there was a problem?

Jeff

My CC is chase. But call yours, I believe you can call them 24hrs a day.
post #373 of 1900 Old 08-27-2006, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I added it to my cart at J&R and got the following:
Important Messages
The following products are restricted and cannot be purchased on our website at this time:
( STX 532H. ) SYNTAX 532H 32 inch HDTV LCD TV
( STX 537H. ) SYNTAX OLEVIA 37" Flat Panel LCD TV with HDTV
You may call 800-806-1115 for more information or to place your order.

Maybe because it is the weekend?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #374 of 1900 Old 08-27-2006, 09:37 AM

For those of you who own the 537

How is the SD, and how is HD?
Basically I'm looking to buy a samsung, and was going to until I heard of the zoom1 problem reported by a fellow member. Does the syntax 5 series compare?
post #375 of 1900 Old 08-27-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

were you able to fill the screen with SD stations? If so, how is the PQ? I am going to order this set in the next few days...

Jeff

I was able to fill the screen via the menu system through the Comcast box.

Buzz

post #376 of 1900 Old 08-27-2006, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I added it to my cart at J&R and got the following:
Important Messages
The following products are restricted and cannot be purchased on our website at this time:
( STX 532H. ) SYNTAX 532H 32 inch HDTV LCD TV
( STX 537H. ) SYNTAX OLEVIA 37" Flat Panel LCD TV with HDTV
You may call 800-806-1115 for more information or to place your order.

Maybe because it is the weekend?

I'd give J&R a call. Perhaps, because of their excellent price, the order book is filled relative to expected deliveries from Syntax.

Buzz

post #377 of 1900 Old 08-27-2006, 10:18 AM

I just ordered the 537H from J&R (12:15 p.m. central) and it went through w/o a hitch. I had it in my cart since yesterday but had not checked out.
post #378 of 1900 Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

As I stated in the other thread the my new Office Depot model 427V has 480i/p tearing or ghosting problem as well as the larger 32 inch version in their store display. I noticed this when I purchased it but I attributed this to poor DVD player being used in the store. All syptoms are the same and they do not show up or are noticable for HD or upconverted HD sources.
post #379 of 1900 Old 08-27-2006, 04:41 PM

Here's a newbie question: My 532H seems like a peach, but unfortunately I'm only feeding it a signal from a series 1 DirecTV Tivo. Those Philips units only have RCA and S-Video out. Obviously the Tivo is converting the satellite signal to analog.
My question is: if I get a series 2 unit, such as the seemingly wildly popular Hughes HR10-250, will I then see a better picture, without the ghosting and aliasing that I'm seeing now? If the signal the TV is getting is all digital then surely I can get a better PQ than I'm seeing now - I hope.

And what's the deal with those HR10-250's anyway? That's a unit that came out 2 years ago. Isn't it getting a bit long in the tooth now?
post #380 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 02:11 PM

There was a question about the 532H and gaming systems - I did a quick test on the original Xbox and PQ seemed fine (using composite inputs, so I'm sure component will be even better). I haven't played video games in a long time, but it seemed there was some lag (Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden Black). It could be my reflexes are slow from not playing or I'm not remembering the response time correctly. But there weren't any ghosting issues. Not an expert, thorough response, but hopefully it's somewhat helpful.

On another note, for those with the set, do you have any preferred picture settings? HD channels seem to require different adjustments than SD ones, and while there are presets for HDTV and SDTV, it would be nice to find a happy medium so I'm not switching for each channel. The great thing with the set is that it does have a lot of control over the picture and after seeing the gorgeous HD content, you'll realize what a difference a few adjustments can make. But the out-of-the-box settings are good - it sounds like they took time to calibrate it to real life settings (they have a "home" and "showroom" setting, and that inclusion shows they at least realize how drastically different a set can look in a store). I am usually not a big nature show watcher, but the HD content available is vivid and immersive (like a mini-Imax). HD sports is a new experience - football games show all the players, which makes it easier to follow certain players and aspects without having the camera choose them for you.

After reading the posts on the previous generation, it does seem most, if not all issues raised by the forum were addressed. And that itself is impressive - I don't think many other companies would care what we think and immediately make changes to the next generation. And the apparent ease of firmware updates is huge and should prove to be very useful in extending the life of the unit (and save us the trouble of having a tech come and do updates). Besides the ATI chip issues (which I've been able to get around by using my cable box and upconverting DVD player), the only other comment I have I wished it had 2 HDMI inputs (I'm using a manual HDMI switch from Monoprice - a little inconvenient but perfectly functional). But for the very, very good price it is at right now, I am very pleased and am giving them the benefit of the doubt they will address the ATI issue, which I think they earned given their response to the previous generation. But those of you relying on the set to do the processing may want to hold back for a bit.

So, those of you with both good and bad experiences, please continue to post to this thread - since Syntax seems be listening, it will ultimately help us get closer to the product we want, and will help those still deciding make an informed decison.
post #381 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archinla View Post

Here's a newbie question: My 532H seems like a peach, but unfortunately I'm only feeding it a signal from a series 1 DirecTV Tivo. Those Philips units only have RCA and S-Video out. Obviously the Tivo is converting the satellite signal to analog.
My question is: if I get a series 2 unit, such as the seemingly wildly popular Hughes HR10-250, will I then see a better picture, without the ghosting and aliasing that I'm seeing now? If the signal the TV is getting is all digital then surely I can get a better PQ than I'm seeing now - I hope.

And what's the deal with those HR10-250's anyway? That's a unit that came out 2 years ago. Isn't it getting a bit long in the tooth now?

I've always been a cable user, so I don't know much about satellite setups, but I do think it will depend on how good your set top box/DVR does scaling. The Series 3 Tivos are apparently around the corner, but I'm not sure if they work with DirecTV (they do have cable cards if DirecTV supports them). The Series 3 have 6 tuners and are specifically designed for HD (they are also a reportedly $799 at Best Buy when they come out).

And while component and HDMI/DVI are way better than S-video, I think other 532H owners are saying the ghosting issues are still there with any input, and especially noticable from 480i sources. So again, if you are able to convert the source to 720p or above, the 532H seems to be without much or any ghosting (none in my experience).
post #382 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM

Hi guys, I dont know if this is the place to post this but i really need your help here. I purchased the 532H on 8/1/06 and it arrived with the screen broken about 10 days later. I called them and they said they'll talk to UPS and schedule a pick up. The UPS people call me to to come pick up the T.V. but they never came. I called Datavis so many times but they kept transfered me to a voice machine. So what should I do to either have them send me a new T.V. or just cancel this purchase ? They already charged the money on my account. I also paid $99 for a 3 years warrantee.
thx for any help, guys.
post #383 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulong View Post

Hi guys, I dont know if this is the place to post this but i really need your help here. I purchased the 532H on 8/1/06 and it arrived with the screen broken about 10 days later. I called them and they said they'll talk to UPS and schedule a pick up. The UPS people call me to to come pick up the T.V. but they never came. I called Datavis so many times but they kept transfered me to a voice machine. So what should I do to either have them send me a new T.V. or just cancel this purchase ? They already charged the money on my account. I also paid $99 for a 3 years warrantee.
thx for any help, guys.

Wow - that sucks. I used Datavis and had no problem. I would definitely stay on them - you shouldn't have to pay a cent - so I would have them send you a new one and then at THEIR cost, have you ship the broken one back. Even if it's UPS' fault, that has nothing to do with you, so I would keep talking to Datavis - maybe escalate it, threaten to go the Better Business Bureau, etc. It also seems they owe you a discount or something for length of time it's taken to get resolved. If they don't satisfactorily resolve it for you, even though they didn't mess up my order, I won't recommend them to anyone. As a last resort, I would take it up with your credit card company to do a chargeback - sometimes losing a sale and bad PR will motivate them to move.

Maybe someone knows a direct line or extension that will get the right person at Datavis?
post #384 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 03:35 PM

tulong - may I ask where you got a 3 year warantee from for $99?

Keep on Datavis...most people have expressed their quick shipping times and ease of use. I have heard they arn't the best with posting order numbers and shipping confirmation emails, but they should set you up with a new set. If UPS broke the screen during shipping, the insurance will certainly cover a replacement television. If all else fails, get a chargeback from your CC and take your business elsewhere..

Jeff
post #385 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulong View Post

thx for any help, guys.

Try and stay calm, datavis is a wharehouse shop and they are not known for their customer support. Try and be patient and at this point I would follow up with UPS rather than Datavis since they are likely to be more receptive.

As soon as you have a tracking # bug the crap out of datavis ( calling every day ) and let us know how you make out. Make sure to state clearly that if you do not receive a response from them you will reverse the transaction with your credit card company. Give datavis at least a few business days and then cancel the transaction.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #386 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 06:08 PM

For those of you who have 532H or 537H, have you tested to see whether the two models can receive digital cable channels w/o problem using the QAM tuner?
post #387 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_bigwolf View Post

For those of you who have 532H or 537H, have you tested to see whether the two models can receive digital cable channels w/o problem using the QAM tuner?

The 532H certainly can.
post #388 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_bigwolf View Post

Well, yes and no. My 537H tunes eight HD channels but none are of the local (Naples, FL) channels, ESPN, etc. The channels found were of no interest to me. perhaps ComCast scrambles nearly everything down here.

Buzz

post #389 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 PM

The cable companies are not allowed to encrypt the local HD channels. The channels can be very hard to find, however. My TV detected over 300 digital channels on Cox cable. Almost all of them had no picture when tuned. I had to search through them in order to find my local HD channels. It was a pain. I'm now receiving all of my local channels OTA, which is much easier to deal with, and better quality.
post #390 of 1900 Old 08-28-2006, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learninghd View Post

Wow - that sucks. I used Datavis and had no problem. I would definitely stay on them - you shouldn't have to pay a cent - so I would have them send you a new one and then at THEIR cost, have you ship the broken one back. Even if it's UPS' fault, that has nothing to do with you, so I would keep talking to Datavis - maybe escalate it, threaten to go the Better Business Bureau, etc. It also seems they owe you a discount or something for length of time it's taken to get resolved. If they don't satisfactorily resolve it for you, even though they didn't mess up my order, I won't recommend them to anyone. As a last resort, I would take it up with your credit card company to do a chargeback - sometimes losing a sale and bad PR will motivate them to move.

Maybe someone knows a direct line or extension that will get the right person at Datavis?

thx for the replies, guys.
It's been almost a month since the order already and calling them seem to be useless as they kept telling me they can't do anything about it and transfer me to a voice machine. So i used my wellsfargo checkcard to pay for it. How do I go about reversing this charge ? It's been almost a month since they transfered the money from my bank account.

@between the pipes, I bought the 3 year warrantee for $99 at datavis.com with the T.V.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page