Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1900 Old 09-20-2006, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
537H arrived last night!!!

Here are my thoughts...

Much to my wife's dismay, I spent the majority of the night tweaking my 537H. Inial impressions:

- Set-up was a bit confusing, mine came with "Showroom" setting turned on and took me an hour to figure out you need to change it to "Home" setting before you can make the majority of the settings (i.e. auto tune analog channels)

- I have one dead pixel, unfortunately it is in the middle of the screen and it shows when the screen is completely black. Luckily, it is not visible when watching shows, only when the screen goes black.

- Remote is awsome, it really lights up and all the buttons are illuminated. I have buttons galore. I will program it to work with my DVD player and receiver. I do wish it did have dedicated buttons for HDMI, Tuner, ecad. because switching between them gets tedious.

- Tuner works great. I am a cheapo and do not have cable/sat just plain old OTT and I picked up 17 additional channels, some YD some digital in addition to the 16 analog channels.

- SD quality is pretty good. Wife noticed immediately the difference between YD and analog. If she can notice, and be impressed, all is well. The picture is clean and is good enough to make me sad that all channels are not coming in as YD (I am waiting for Fib. 2009)

- I only get 3 true YD channels OTA, but man they look really good.

- No problems with lip sync or picture blackness. Auto tuner works great.

- I do not have a good picture with my progressive DVD player (phillips 2 years old) using the component settings. I am going to blame this on my cable/DVD player. My cables are 10 years old and I am just using three separate cables (they are monster audio l/r cables and one video cables). I will buy true component cables today. Also, I ordered a Oppo 970HD yesterday and plan to run HDMI anyway, but want to see how the old DVD player runs.

I have not tried hooking up my computer to the 537H, will try tonight.

Also I will hook up my audio receiver and run my sound through that. With that being said, I was actually surprised at the sound coming through the 537H speakers. Pretty darn good for stock lcd speakers.

Anyway, happy with my purchase, sad about the one dead pixel but all in all I feel good about my purchase and what I am getting for my money.

Syntax 537H & Oppo 970 owner...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1900 Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1 View Post

This ---- Syntax-Brillian's has developed two new patent-pending feature technologies that are included in the new Olevia Signature HDTVs. Big Picture Technology delivers up to 11% more of the digital broadcast image and up to 37% more of analog images without distortion so viewers can see more of the picture displayed on each side of the TV. Director's Image enables viewers to see realistic content in the same way that the director intended images to be displayed. Director's Image features calibrated color temperature (6500 degreesK) at 2.2 gamma, red/green/blue gain controls and offsets, optimized gray scales, black level adjustment for NTSC and ATSC, full range contrast adjustment, color and tint colors for red/blue saturation and sharpness. ----- is what's caught my eye more than anything else about these sets. Sounds awesome. When are they shipping? And will Boscov's be carrying them? Too many questions!

that's interesting if true.. actually that's pretty groundbreaking.. everyone knows about ISF calibration/etc/etc etc and more-often than not, the only logical question that follows and even up to now you'll almost always see it is, "why doesn't the set come pre-calibrated/tuned already?"

if Olevia does indeed ship and they stay true to their so-called "Director's Image" feature which is listed in the olevia website spec sheet
"Director's Image calibrated 6500K color and a full range of brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness and mode controls available to tune image quality. "

---then not only is that a first of its kind, but pretty much groundbreaking stuff

dang, maybe I should've held off on my purchase and waited Olevia's out ^^ of course if true as well that their prices are around 4Large for a 42" :P maybe not

-+ I heard mono with my ears, stereo with my heart, but I heard surround with my soul - Unnamed
-+ My tastes are simple -- I am always satisfied with the best
-+ You ainÂt gotta like me, you just mad 'cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be!
post #633 of 1900 Old 09-20-2006, 06:18 PM

I got it via Beach Camera in about 6 days from when I pressed the button on 8-10 day shipping. I was a little nervous when the Fedex info didn't update until it arrived on the truck, but it came on the tracking schedule. It was double boxed with foamies- the outside basic box was a little roughed up, but the inside Syntax box was flawless.

This thing really resembles the older 42, except for no glass. So its light enough for one strong person to move it. What that also seems to mean is that the noise in bad pictures is a tic more noticeable than the old one, but a good signal really stands out. I turned off my sharpness and really liked the results.

I have found the tuner to be much improved in many regards, and on par with my H20 directv box. THe single OTA input is nice to have as well.

The color is great and totally customizable. The color detail is far superior to my LG based plasma (sitting right behind it.) THis is after I cranked the color down and contrast up from factory settings.

I do not see a problem with the blacks at all, even compared to the plasma pushing the contrast burn-in barrier. I can see how a purist would complain about not reaching total black, but all I care about is the shadow detail- which is very comparable and great for an LCD.

I thought the XBox 360 looked awesome. Some of the stuff looked absolutely perfect. I even checked it on 1080i and it handled it well. A DVD looked about as good as you could expect.

As for the supposed blurry computer text, I think that reviewer needs glasses. It was fine. I played some HD material from the 1080P site. Robotica and Dolphins both were fantstic for those who are familiar.

The remote, is far better than the last, but still lacks the individual input buttons, which is my biggest complaint. The "source" button cycles pretty easy, but it kills me to have to go past the S video settings I will never use.

THe menu is fabulous. Much better than the old 42. It is very easy to navigate.
I checked to make sure my sharpness setting stayed put when I cycleded inputs and powered off.

So far the only things I notice out of the box are:
1. Out of the box, the little noise line is peekeing out on some 4/3broadcasts. THis is common on flat panels that don't overscan and can be remedied in a number of ways, especially since this set has screen placement settings, which I have not yet played with.

2. I saw a bit of motion blur on smallville when one person walked in front of another in a close-up , and a little in the baseball game, but its possibly the source. Some pretty fast dance scenes in wedding crashers showed little if any blur.
3. Not having the glass is a double edged sword- you can see more detail, but you get a better view of the problems with your source material. Therefore I give the SD a B.

Overall, I am very happy with the set so far. With the upgrades I think its worth it over the deals on the older set. The only down side is the single HDMI.

I also noted that Office Depot's Tech Depot is getting these things in too if you want a happiness guarantee. I doubt you will be disappointed.

When did football games become talk shows?
post #634 of 1900 Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 PM

cjarrettgsu-
It's an RCN moto 6416 box and has one HDMI out. The RCN service tech will be swapping the box tomorrow, so I may have an answer/solution then. BTW, while troubleshooting, I had the 532 side-by-side with my Panasonic 50 inch 8uk plasma and I think the overall picture quality is comparable--nice color out of the box once switched from showroom to home setting.

To update, a new 6416 box took care of the problems with poor picture on channels 2-11, but did not fix the issue of being unable to control volume using the HDMI connection from the box. This is a bigger problem than it seems since the box remote does not have a code for the new olevias.

Can anyone confirm they are able to control volume via HDMI with one of the motorola HD DVR boxes and a 532 (or other new syntax set)?
post #635 of 1900 Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 AM

I just bought this set last night because the price was really nice.

However, the brightness of the backlighting is very uneven. On a black screen, or very dark scenes, you can clearly see the 4 corners are much brighter than the center of the screen. During normal scenes, it's hardly noticable, if at all.
post #636 of 1900 Old 09-21-2006, 12:29 PM

For anyone interested in the availability of the 747i, Bright and Sleek has informed me today that my unit will ship the middle part of next week, most likely Wednesday. Currently, no dealer I am aware of (including Bright and Sleek) has information on the 742i in terms of price or availability.
post #637 of 1900 Old 09-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:

QAM picked up a bunch of digital channels, and I've been watching a few things in HD

I got my 527 today, and it too picked up a bunch digitals channels. It said 91 and a few other numbers? Is that suppose to be the channel number? or how many channels are digital. I dont have an antenna or anything this is just through basic cable, But i cant seem to find the digital channels? When flipping through i see nothing different.
Could some one help me out
post #638 of 1900 Old 09-21-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by badself View Post

For anyone interested in the availability of the 747i, Bright and Sleek has informed me today that my unit will ship the middle part of next week, most likely Wednesday. Currently, no dealer I am aware of (including Bright and Sleek) has information on the 742i in terms of price or availability.

Delivery on the 747i has been pused back to October. Olevia announced this at CEDIA last week. Bright and Sleek must not have gotten the word. Sorry.
post #639 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Has anyone seen the Olevia TV commercial on ESPN? Looks like they are building the brand name.

I actually heard a commercial on the radio this a.m. on sports talk station....

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #640 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Delivery on the 747i has been pused back to October. Olevia announced this at CEDIA last week. Bright and Sleek must not have gotten the word. Sorry.

Actually, I had learned about that announcement through your posting while at Cedia (thanks for the heads up). Bright and Sleek maintains this is updated information from Olevia within the last day or two. At this point, even October is acceptable assuming the set lives up to the hype.
post #641 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I can't find the 747i on the Bright and Sleek web site. Are you sure they have access to it? At CEDIA I overheard a rep saying that 7-series was not going to be available via mailorder or internet or mass merchants...only through specialty retailers, integrators, custom installers and the like. I was planning to get mine through an installer friend who says he can buy it from one of his distributors.
post #642 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 11:22 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I actually heard a commercial on the radio this a.m. on sports talk station....

Interestingly I recieved the 537H last night from New Egg. Hooked it up to the cable box and went immediately to ESPNHD. What was the first ad we saw? Olevia..

BTW, love the 537H so far. For my tiny bedroom its almost overwhelming. This is my first real HD tv. I've been watching on the computer monitor for years via HD tuner card. This experience is much more fun. Especially after all the research on the best model to buy for myself. After seeing the 537H in person at Microcenter I had to have it. What I had not realized is how much more I'd be impressed in the home as compared to any showroom I've been in.

I think it makes a great computer as well. I almost want to use it as my full-time monitor. It really doesn't have the blurry text I've heard about so much once I cranked up the resolution. Excellent for games, and certainly excellent for the 100s of video files I've accumulated. The most impressive thing I saw on day one was the WMVHD clip of Super Speedway. This experience just may cause me to buy a 332 for a monitor.

Now on to trying to build a nice setup as some of you guys have already.
post #643 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:

I can't find the 747i on the Bright and Sleek web site. Are you sure they have access to it? At CEDIA I overheard a rep saying that 7-series was not going to be available via mailorder or internet or mass merchants...only through specialty retailers, integrators, custom installers and the like. I was planning to get mine through an installer friend who says he can buy it from one of his distributors.

Olevia requested that the 747i be removed from Bright and Sleek's website in order to maintain its specialty status, and in return for their compliance they've been allowed to sell the set via phone order. If you email them, I'm certain they will return your inquiry, as they are a reputable outfit (i.e. check reseller ratings, CNET review, and their actual written policies on their website). They even have a strong return policy spelled out in black-and-white.

In direct contrast, Sony xbr3 was to have only limited/exclusive availability, and there are at least several each day available for purchase on ebay.
post #644 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 AM

is anyone ever going to post pictures of their newly aquired Olevia sets? Everyone says they will, and then we never get any...I am interested in seeing the 542i.
post #645 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 12:32 PM

The 532H is reviewed in the October/November issue of The Perfect Vision magazine. It can be downloaded from The Perfect Vision web site.
post #646 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Beach Camera just dropped their price on the 542i by a c-note. Considering they're an authorized Olevia reseller, and they have the set in stock, I just had to pull the trigger.

Ha, cancelled my 2nd order with Computer Brain. Anyone still waiting on them, I wouldn't hold your breath. Sad too, I got my order in when they dropped the price down to the lowest point it reached, before they "wised up" and jacked their price up to the market average.

Oh well, for an extra $80, it's worth getting the set within a reasonable time, and from a reputable Olevia reseller.
post #647 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 03:22 PM

Liked: 11
Heres my update jr.com has an EXCELLENT Supervisor for phone sales his name is Kenny....did not get his last name wish I had cause he was great. Shipped out last Thursday next day air (no extra charge) received at 10:34 am the next day. Packaging Not impressed with just a cardboard box with styrofoam at the top and bottom with nothing protecting the screen. Fortunately arrived in great shape. Hooked up a Brighthouse Network SA 8300 HD-DVR very easy setup HD is unbelievable.....SD is pretty good also a lot better than I expected it to look. Put a splitter before the STB so I'd be able to record to HD shows while watching something else thru the tuner but getting the tuner to autoscan was a BITCH. Also do not like having a Cd-ROM for an owners manual I personally prefer a booklet to read thru. Other than that although was aggravating for a big purchase i am very happy with this TV and would recommend the 537h to anyone looking for a good tv at a great price. BTW i got it at JR's lower price for less than 1K.....
post #648 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 06:20 PM

I recently received my 537h from newegg. Came in about 2 days which was awesome for only 34 bux. The box was packed pretty well and ups did a pretty good job handeling it. I didnt have any dead pixels or other defects. My first impressions on this tv are really good.

- SD is pretty good well exceeded my expectations.
- HD is excellent i tried both OTA and through my cable box.
- DVDs looked awesome too, but all i had was my xbox dvd player but they still looked good.
- I picked up quite a few channels with the QAM tuner as well.
- The remote control is ok nothing great.
- It was really easy to setup the menu the UI was pretty good.
- Inputs are easily accesible optical out is nice
- XBMC looked amazing !!!

I havent tried the PIP yet.
post #649 of 1900 Old 09-22-2006, 11:57 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by betweenthepipes View Post

is anyone ever going to post pictures of their newly aquired Olevia sets? Everyone says they will, and then we never get any...I am interested in seeing the 542i.

Here some to appease. I've been so busy I've had no time to play with it(or clean up at all). Hopefully I get better pics up as soon as I tidy up and buy a nice console for the equip.
LL
LL
post #650 of 1900 Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 AM

Do the new 3,5,7 series have Super-Ips?
post #651 of 1900 Old 09-23-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post

Here some to appease. I've been so busy I've had no time to play with it(or clean up at all). Hopefully I get better pics up as soon as I tidy up and buy a nice console for the equip.

Thanks for the pics, they are awesome! What resolution was your vid card set to? how was it connected (vga/dvi)? Much better resolution on the text that I would have expected from other reviews!

Also, which model is that, looks like the 537?
post #652 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 AM

Ok the first picture is The Ryder Cup on HD NBC.....The second picture is from Discovery HD.......The third picture is USA network is SD......On certain channels there is a line of something like white noise at the top of the screen and I have to use the vertical adjustment to get rid of it. Happens on SD and HD. and only on some channels. Also I'm starting to notice pixelation if the camera sweeps to quick or like during a football game and the graphics they show for stats when that disappears. Other thabn that for the price you cant beat it. Btw I am using a SA 8300 HD-DVR hooked up thru component. I ordered an HDMI cable Feriday from Monoprice I'll post when I get that hooked up to see if theres a difference in picture quality.
LL
LL
LL
post #653 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 AM

Also picture quality is limited due to file size upload. I had to set the resolution on the digital camera to the lowest seeting to be under 500kb to upload
post #654 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

On certain channels there is a line of something like white noise at the top of the screen and I have to use the vertical adjustment to get rid of it. Happens on SD and HD. and only on some channels. Also I'm starting to notice pixelation if the camera sweeps to quick or like during a football game and the graphics they show for stats when that disappears.

White line is the closed caption info being sent on the first few scan lines.

The pixelization you mention is macroblocking. This is an artifact of MPEG2 compression and is a problem at the source end. You will see this most during live broadcasts since they need to compress on the fly and it is compute intensive. As compute power improves over time, so will digital broadcasts.
post #655 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk69 View Post

Do the new 3,5,7 series have Super-Ips?

I was told by Syntax tech support that the panels in the 5 series were LG Philips which are s-ips.

BroChoas in an early thread, did I believe mention that the 7 series would be samsung
post #656 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the info satire.....I believe I remember reading something a few months ago mpeg2 and mpeg4 with the 4 being the industry standard some time soon????
post #657 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info on the lcd panels. Any body using the 537H with an xbox 360? are the black levels good. Ive got a Vizio 37, and a Polaroid 37 FLM-373B from Walmart and returned them both.
post #658 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 12:43 PM

Blacks are black on my 537h....Of course no 360 just a ps2 until the ps3 comes out
post #659 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 01:22 PM

does anybody know if the pic quality on the 337 is any different from the537?
post #660 of 1900 Old 09-24-2006, 05:24 PM

337vs 537

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"does anybody know if the pic quality on the 337 is any different from the537? "

The difference is in the video processor chip. The 337h uses a PixeWorks DNX chip while the 537h has the MTK MDDI chip which is supposed to be the better processor chip but not quite as good as the chip in the 7 series. I believe theres a thread dealing with a firmware issue in the 3 series 32" lcd also. So my guess would be yes there might be a difference in picture quality between the 2 sets. Only way to know for sure is to compare them side by side in a B&M store. Hope that helps.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page