Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Can anyone verify whether they're getting HD channels over QAM on either the 537 or the 542? I know it's dependent on your cable co. but I don't think I've seen anyone say that they have. Right now, since I don't have a cable box, I'd have to buy an separate HD tuner if they won't come in over QAM since the TV only has one RF input.

I have checked the Comcast thread for Atlanta and the local channels are available in QAM without a box, but I need to know if these TVs are actually pulling in HD channels via QAM. I do plan on building an HTPC to supply ATSC OTA eventually.
post #723 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFOOTBALLGIANTS View Post

When will the 742 be released?

The 747i will be released the third or fourth week in October, and the 742i will be released four weeks after the 747i. I was expecting my 747i by this week, and the dealer e-mailed me with the above information directly from Olevia. The delay on the 747i was actually announced at CEDIA about two weeks ago. Hope that helps.
post #724 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Can anyone verify whether they're getting HD channels over QAM on either the 537 or the 542? I know it's dependent on your cable co. but I don't think I've seen anyone say that they have. Right now, since I don't have a cable box, I'd have to buy an separate HD tuner if they won't come in over QAM since the TV only has one RF input.

I have checked the Comcast thread for Atlanta and the local channels are available in QAM without a box, but I need to know if these TVs are actually pulling in HD channels via QAM. I do plan on building an HTPC to supply ATSC OTA eventually.

I have a 537H. We have ComCast here in Naples, FL and all I can pickup are a few digital channels, no HD. I continue to rent the box.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #725 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I've had my 537 now for a couple weeks. It has been pulling in HD channels over cable. I have Comcast in Seattle. However last night I couldn't view any of the digital chanels.
post #726 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:

No HD over Charter Cable in St. Louis. Lots of digital channels in odd places, but the audio on many of them is mono, compared with stereo or 5.1 via the Moxi box.
post #727 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 12:21 PM

How happy are you with the picture quality of your tvs now that some of you have had them a while? I am still looking to getting either the 537 or 542 but of course keep getting swayed to thinking that 1080p is better/important. With my viewing distance and some other charateristics I feel that 720 may fit my needs. How is the PIP and other functions? The 1:1 pixel mapping? do you still recommend this tv, at what point would you recommend something else? ie would you say if you have 1k more, to look at other tvs brands..or only if you are looking at 1080p in the higher tier brands etc. How are you enjoying the tv in a home theatre set up if you have one?
post #728 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 12:24 PM

Got my 542i from the Nerds and it was in perfect condition. Ordered it Tuesday, got to my house on Thursday. The SD channels are very good. The HD channels are excellent. I have everything run through Component except my xbox. That is still through s video. That also looks very good. I am very happy with my purchase. I had no problems with the nerds either. Very quick and easy.
post #729 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 01:43 PM

bd8653 - the picture quality is an amazing value for the price. the only set i have seen with comp. specs that looks better are the samsung models, but those are about $600+ more then any olevia at a given inch ratio. for the price, the quality is unbeatable.

and its not just a deal. the picture is very good. not as good as samsung, but alot better than about every other "budget" brand out there.
post #730 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 03:53 PM

Ok...just opened the box on my new 537h and hooked it up. The new HD equipment from DirecTV is not here yet, so this is based on just a straight S-video hook up to an old Hughes DTV box.

First thing; No...repeat, no dead pixels. Second, plugged it in. switched to "home" mode, voila! SD picture is as good as the Sony Trinitron it is replacing. At this point there is no need to tweek the picture. It is just fine from the factory. This is my first venture into LCD TV so I was a bit leary, but I would have no qualms about recommending Olevia.

Thanks for all the info on this forum for helping me make a good decision. As for the geeks, 18 hours from order to delivery is pretty outstanding.
post #731 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone with 3-Series PQ impressions, compared to 5-Series?
post #732 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM

I've had the 537H for nearly 3 weeks and give offer my observations so far. This is coming from a user with no LCD owner experience, as both my former tv (KV-35S65) and present computer monitor (CPD-G420S) are Sony trinitrons.

The set itself is all black except for the "Olevia" emblem which appears to be an unobtrusive dull platinum color. As a personal preference, I think a flat black bezel is by far the best frame to have around the screen. At 53 lb, I can move the tv with relative ease, or at least relative to a 150 lb CRT. The remote is decent, as I have seen far worse. Works well and doesn't have to be pointed directly at the sensor as I have read was the case with last year's models.

Menu/Controls are a mixed bag. The "rotating wheel" menu system works ok, although a little odd. PIP/Split Screen has some annoying limitations (only HDMI is available with the tuner). Zoom 1 and 1:1 pixel mapping come in handy. Source button has no "back" feature, so if you miss the correct input you have to cycle through all of them again. I do like the dark/medium/bright room settings.

HDTV from cable is anywhere from pretty good to downright jaw-dropping. It really depends on the channel and/or the program. Colors are spot-on with virtually none of the red push I have seen on several lcd screens over the years. Motion lag is minimal. Dark scenes can be weak, but that is inherent with all lcds.

SDTV, depending again on the source, can be anywhere from really ok to ugly. To be fair, some of the channels that looked bad here also looked bad on my crt. The crt just does a better job of hiding the defects. Colors on SDTV by contrast are all too vivid. I am not sure why that happens. Overall, the sd channels looked better than I thought they would.

DVDs from my Philips DVP 642 over a component connection looked horrendous and I was very disappointed. Played around with the settings for a while and gave up. I didn't need it anyway.

PC input is very pleasing overall. I have a self-built Athlon X2 4400 computer with an ATI X1900 AIW and Windows MCE 2005 in my bedroom attached by a 35 ft component/digital coax cable to my receiver and tv in my den. DVDs and Divx/Xvid look really nice with good color and clarity. Text is ok with just a slight blurriness, but very usable (I am typing this on the tv now). Games are fantastic, but there is a bit of motion lag that I have more than gotten used to. The Matrox Reef Demo at 1360x768 is flat-out stunning.

To sum up, I am even more pleased than I thought with this purchase. Leaving the comfort zone of the CRT was a difficult choice for me, but I think I made a good choice. At a purchase price of just under a grand, I give this set two thumbs up.

I don't really know anything. I am just repeating what I have either heard or read elsewhere.
post #733 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidguy View Post

Watch out for thenerds.net!

I placed my three days ago for a 537h and payed the extra 3.99 fee to rush the order precessing. When I placed the order, their web page showed they had the item in stock. I called customer service later that morning and they told me the TV would ship that day. After not getting any ship notification, I called today and was told the TV was back ordered, but that they charged my card anyway!

THIS IS NOT GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICE!

I immediately cancelled my order and requested a refund, then placed an order with J&R.

Just a follow-up...

I did a little research on pricegrabber, clicked on the reviews hotlink for thenerds.net, sorted on ratings, lowest to highest by clicking on "rating" twice. Turns out thenerds.net has pulled this same thing with many people before on many different products. Wish I had done this before trying to buy from them. I also noticed that alot of people have had other troubles with their CS after the sale. You can just click here if you want to see for yourself.
post #734 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I was able to see the 542i in person locally today. Overall very nice TV. The one thing I don't like is the bottom speakers - just makes it look bulky - awkward comes to mind. I believe someone posted you can take those off though. Just still not sure on what I would want plus I have to sell off my current TV so who knows.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #735 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 PM

awesome review Steelyken! thank you very much. I have heard there are hd/sd and maybe some other (mode) settings that can be used..are you using those for the different sources?
how far do you generally sit from your tv? how close can you get while still having decent pq with hd... sd? is your dvd player progressive?

Cburbs- the speakers are removable from the 542i, the 'i' stands for interchangable I believe. They can also be mounted on the sides if you prefer (with purchase of addictional hardware)

Haven't seen brochoas on here in a while... Hope all is well with him, and would also be interested in any company product updates he is able to share.
post #736 of 1900 Old 10-06-2006, 11:36 PM

I just unboxed my 542i earlier tonight and got a chance to play around with it a bit. With the TV hooked directly to the cable outlet, no STB, the SD picture is fantastic, at least compared to the 26" Mitsubishi CRT it replaced.

However I think I found a major bug in the software. Everything was working great at first but now I cannot change any setting in the menus. I believe things went south after I hit "restore to factory defaults" in the menus. Since after that it seems all of the setting are locked.

Selecting autoscan for channels does nothing(worked earlier). Aspect ratio is stuck at 1:1 and cannot be changed in the menus or by pressing the aspect button on the remote(Worked earlier). Hitting the aspect button just results in a quick flicker and the display remains in 1:1. Closed captioning cannot be changed. Treble and bass cannot be changed, I can get to the slider in the menus but it cannot be adjusted. Brightness cannot be changed either.

As of right now the only things the TV can do are change channels, adjust volume and switch between sources.

Turning it off and unplugging it didn't solve the problem nor did selecting "restore factory defaults." I tried the firmware upgrade on Olevia's website but the links to the files are all dead.

I sent an email to Olevia tech support and I let you guys know how things go. By the way my firmware rev. is 542-B11-060608B
post #737 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 12:36 AM

Nevermind, as it turns out I'm an idiot. It seems that I acidentally set the TV to "Showcase mode" on the startup after I restored the defaults as opposed to "Home." Apparently the showcase mode locks all the settings so there was no bug afterall.

Sorry for the false alarm, chalk this one up to user error.
post #738 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 12:37 AM

Sorry to hear about the menu being locked! Definately let us know how this is resolved.
post #739 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 04:57 AM

Can someone post some pics of their sets? Especially those with the 542i sets, as that is the set I plan on purchasing.

Thanks.
post #740 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 05:30 AM

[quote=Ole42]My guess is that since both the DVD player signal and the Verizon signal are displayed fuzzy, the problem is not with Verizon. You are using the same HDMI connection for the HD and SD channels, so it's not the connection. Therefore, it is probably the TV.
Finally found the time to give an update. I'm using two different connections. HDMI for verizon service and used the component for the DVD. When playing DVD's I see no real problems. But once I try the DVE test screens, all is blurry.

I also tried the cable/TV line into the RF input, once again, This TV will give me a great pictures on 1080i, it give blurry picture on anything else.

I also had Verizon come back, they pretty much replaced everything...including the fiber cable coming to the house. No difference.

I'm thinking it is just my TV or maybe the Brand.

Is there anyone else using this TV with Verizon FOIS TV service? I did here from the Verizon service Tech that they have a compatibly issue with Samsung TV's. Sounds like it might be similar issues.

Jim
post #741 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, Please! I'm debating between the 542i and the LT42HVi. I think the LT is a much nicer looking set, but I think I need the QAM on the 542i. But I can't find a local retailer with the 542i to check it out...candid pics would be great! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbztrk View Post

Can someone post some pics of their sets? Especially those with the 542i sets, as that is the set I plan on purchasing.

Thanks.

post #742 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 12:41 PM

Just has a thought

Looks like some 542i owners are have no issue with SD, while some of us are.

What would the chances of listing our firmware version? Maybe this has something to do with the Firmware.

I would list it like something like this

Version number:
Picture quality on SD with using HDMI
Picture quality on SD with using Component
Picture quality on SD with using RF
Picture quality on HD with using HDMI
Picture quality on HD with using Component

Good idea? Should I add more?

I will start:

Version number: 542-B11-060806B
Picture quality on SD with using HDMI pretty poor/blurry/ghosting
Picture quality on SD with using Component pretty poor/blurry/ghosting
Picture quality on SD with using RF pretty poor/blurry/ghosting
Picture quality on HD with using HDMI GREAT
Picture quality on HD with using Component GREAT
Let me know what you guys think
jim
post #743 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Just bought my Olevia 542i from NewEgg. Took it out of the box, put it on the table, finally found the darned power outlet and plugged it into the MONSTER surge protector and - nothing. No power. Nada.

Everything else on the protector powers up. We swapped around plugs, tried a different cable- nada. Nothing. Bummer. Been searching the boards for anything I may have missed( I know- it's power- how much can be missed) but ultimately I guess I just got a DOA unit...

And NewEgg has a no return policy so now I have to go through OLEVIA's "vaulted" tech support- yeah, I'm looking forward to that.

On a side note- last night when I went to Olevia's site to register- it wouldn't accept the SN for the longest time- not for the model. Then I finally pushed it through, but I notice it's listed as Olevia 542B11. It's that on the box as well. Is this a revision thing?
post #744 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 12:54 PM

Hi Jim.... can you post some pics of the quality you are getting in SD? I work for a small company that does fiber to the home as well as some other non-traditional tv signal transport technology. Our issue is more along the lines that we are sending a mpeg2 signal and the higher resolution tv's are proudly displaying the lack of quality in the compressed signal.

Do some channels look decent, not great, but not horrible either while other channels look exptremely poor? With our service, generally the lower- local channels look the worst as does cnn and others. We do find there are many channels that look okay, but the bigger the tv the more people complain about the 'service'.
post #745 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawngf7 View Post

Just bought my Olevia 542i from NewEgg. Took it out of the box, put it on the table, finally found the darned power outlet and plugged it into the MONSTER surge protector and - nothing. No power. Nada.

There is a power switch on the BACK of the TV near where the power cord connects. It's a rocker switch (at least on the 537). Impossible to see if yr not looking for it...

barry
post #746 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Yeah, we've popped that in and out- no go...

I might give it another look when I get home...
post #747 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 03:38 PM

So as far as I can tell, the specs are the exact same between the 537H and the LT37HVS. Does anyone know if there is an advantage to one set over the other?

Iamfalcon
post #748 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 04:10 PM

Yeah- no go on the power switch.

This 542-B11 thing is interesting. The pic on the website shows a gray LCD- the one we got much more closely resembles the LT42HVI in appearance and color. However the one I have does show the HDMI...strange...very strange...
post #749 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry about the problems. But would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of your 542i? If it closely resembles the LT42HVi, then it looks much better than the impression I get from Olevia's pictures on their site and the pictures on other sellers' sites. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawngf7 View Post

Yeah- no go on the power switch.

This 542-B11 thing is interesting. The pic on the website shows a gray LCD- the one we got much more closely resembles the LT42HVI in appearance and color. However the one I have does show the HDMI...strange...very strange...

post #750 of 1900 Old 10-07-2006, 06:16 PM

iamfalcon the 537 does have new features like: Director's Image calibrated 6500K color and a full range of brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness and mode controls available to tune image quality. It is said the 537 (all actually) come precalibrated to avia standards instead of showroom settings. People generally only have to make minor tweaks for their taste rather than spending hours trying to find the best picture quality. (Those who tweak them that much more are always gonna tweak them- never satisfied )

Big Picture Technology advanced technology displays up to 37% more of analog images and 11% more of digital broadcast images, without distortion.

User Friendly On-Screen Display scrolling icon wheel simplifies use and features preset video and lighting modes for different environments and content types.

Firmware upgradeable via USB the latest software updates and quality improvements available from the Olevia website, easily uploadable to your TV through its USB port.

it is powered by MTK's state-of-the-art MDDI video processor technology and also has a QAM tuner (not officially supported)

537 doesn't dislay "zoom" on the screen when you use the zoom feature. It will display it momentarily so you know you switched to it, but it doesn't stay up perminantly like last years model.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page