New Syntax Olevia TV models - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 1900 Old 07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Naylia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'll hazard a guess:

VGA Component is the VGA input being fed a Component style signal. Essentially a component signal is sent using certain wires in the VGA cable (since there are more then enough to handle it).
Naylia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 1900 Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Member
 
plschwartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
His re cent post suggests that a buyer will not be able to know what LCD panel is being used on the set purchased - AUO LG or CMO. These panels are different in design and in the picture they present. What ywhat ou see on say a demo may not be is sold to you. I spent a certain amount of time and effort and decided I wanted a set with a LG panel because of its color fidelity.
I think that for the money spent I have a right to know that a set seen or reviewed is the set I am going to take home. Instead, like Dell with say hard drives they will bid out the component on some regular basis looking for lowest price.
I am actually suprised at Bro Chaoses news as Syntax signed a long term deal with LG But now maybe they are saving LGs just for the 7xx series.
If so then I have some worries about the general quality of the 5xx series, which might then be aimed as a "house brand" for target or costco as Sams club has the Vizio (sp?)
I was ready to run out and buy the 537 but now I have to give it more thought.
plschwartz is offline  
post #93 of 1900 Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Member
 
BroChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
when these sets list 2 components, it's really 1 physical component input. you can then buy a vga-component adapter, and use the vga input as your second "component" input.

i don't think the panels will be completely random. they have designed these sets with videophile-like calibration out of the box, and if they play around with the panels, it will mess that up. i just don't know what sets will have what panels yet.
BroChaos is offline  
post #94 of 1900 Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Senior Member
 
badself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrussell View Post

I just hope the company outlasts the warranty on these new sets. Looking at the May 15 10-Q filings, Syntax-Brillian lost over $11M on sales of $45M in the previous 3-month period. They have been late to market with the 3xx and 5xx series TVs, and still have no official press announcement or web page info. The Signature series is still missing in action. Competition at the bottom end is increasing with house brands (such as Emprex). A major manufacturer could almost purchase the company out of its petty cash. There are 48M outstanding shares, and the price plunged to $2.20 last week, although it has bounced back.

Perhaps their financial condition is contributing to what is beginning to look like a delayed rollout of th 742i. If this set is not out by September, I'll be going with the xbr3 or v2500 sony. The apparent lack of 1:1 on the 95 (and probably 96) Samsungs is a dealbreaker for me.
badself is offline  
post #95 of 1900 Old 07-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Senior Member
 
badself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 View Post

Most of us have spent our entire life with TVs that reflect light. Honestly, has it ever really bothered you that much throughout your life?

Not since the early sixties. This is an amazingly futile way to think.
badself is offline  
post #96 of 1900 Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by plschwartz View Post

His re cent post suggests that a buyer will not be able to know what LCD panel is being used on the set purchased - AUO LG or CMO. These panels are different in design and in the picture they present. What ywhat ou see on say a demo may not be is sold to you. I spent a certain amount of time and effort and decided I wanted a set with a LG panel because of its color fidelity.
I think that for the money spent I have a right to know that a set seen or reviewed is the set I am going to take home. Instead, like Dell with say hard drives they will bid out the component on some regular basis looking for lowest price.
I am actually suprised at Bro Chaoses news as Syntax signed a long term deal with LG But now maybe they are saving LGs just for the 7xx series.
If so then I have some worries about the general quality of the 5xx series, which might then be aimed as a "house brand" for target or costco as Sams club has the Vizio (sp?)
I was ready to run out and buy the 537 but now I have to give it more thought.

I understood Bro Chaoses' coment to mean that he did not know what brand panels would be used on each exact model. Each specific model would almost certainly be designed and calibrated with only one specific panel make, particularly given what has been reported about how well the 5 series 32" panel was calibrated right out of the box.
Flatliner is offline  
post #97 of 1900 Old 07-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
notreally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toto land
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by badself View Post

Perhaps their financial condition is contributing to what is beginning to look like a delayed rollout of th 742i. If this set is not out by September, I'll be going with the xbr3 or v2500 sony. The apparent lack of 1:1 on the 95 (and probably 96) Samsungs is a dealbreaker for me.

A birdie told me, hopefully some in country in August

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
notreally is offline  
post #98 of 1900 Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

I think the pricing might have to do with what is actually in stock. I just ordered the 532H from them which was more than $200 off retail but the 332H was not in stock and the price given was retail.

Let us know how your experience is with Datavis -

Chad

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
post #99 of 1900 Old 07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Member
 
plschwartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post

when these sets list 2 components, it's really 1 physical component input. you can then buy a vga-component adapter, and use the vga input as your second "component" input.

i don't think the panels will be completely random. they have designed these sets with videophile-like calibration out of the box, and if they play around with the panels, it will mess that up. i just don't know what sets will have what panels yet.


OK and Thanks
will stay tuned to wavs for the lastest info. Have my fingers crossed about the 537 being an lg panel
plschwartz is offline  
post #100 of 1900 Old 07-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Let us know how your experience is with Datavis -

Chad

I just received my 532H from Datavis today. I ordered it on Tuesday and I'm located in FL so I would say thats pretty good same day shipping on their part. As for the TV, I must say it has its pluses and minuses like most anything, particularly at this price point. Physically, it appears to be very well made. I have only played with it for a few hours thus far but can already see that the "Home"(versus "showroom") calibration setting out of the box is very good overall with only minimal tweaking required. Fleshtones are very good as are neutrals and the color depth is very nice overall. I think blacks are somewhat weak which is a little dissapointing. Also dissapointing is the limited viewing angle as I can see a slight color change and even weaker blacks when viewing at just 30 degrees off axis either horizontal or verticle. I should mention that I'm very sensitive to this as I'm a Photographer and work with images every single day doing things such as color correction and matching to original artwork. I had been shopping for an LCD screen for a long time and have viewed many and the first thing I always do is move off axis to a screen and see what happens with the color and black level. The Sony's, Sharps, JVC's(Sharp Panel I think), Panasonics and even the LG's do well in this regard. The Westinghouse does poorly. This 532H is probably somewhere in the middle but closer to the westinghouse in regards to off axis color shifts and lack of a real black(which gets worse off axis). Color though is much better on the 532H than the Westinghous and probably close to the top tier brands mentioned above. I can also say that SD looks pretty decent on this Olevia compared to a lot of the lower end HD displays I have seen. Still not SD CRT quality though. The menu system is very easy to use and navigate but one thing I would suggest is to actually show a value or number along with the bar length indicator so that exact settings could be known. As it is now, there is a triangle which indicates where you are currently but moving up or down say in Brightness, Contrast, Color, etc. gives no exact figure! Also, there should be more control of the Backlight than just "Dark Room" Medium Room" or "Bright Room". Finally, the speakers are just average and it would have been nice to be able to remove them for a more elegant appearence as most people would most likely not use them at all, instead using their Home Theatre Audio system. Overall though, not bad for $ delivered. Not Sony, Sharp, ect. Picture quality but probably better than what Wal Mart sells for under 1k.
Flatliner is offline  
post #101 of 1900 Old 07-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Member
 
rtrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

I just received my 532H from Datavis today. I ordered it on Tuesday and I'm located in FL so I would say thats pretty good same day shipping on their part. As for the TV, I must say it has its pluses and minuses like most anything, particularly at this price point. Physically, it appears to be very well made. I have only played with it for a few hours thus far but can already see that the "Home"(versus "showroom") calibration setting out of the box is very good overall with only minimal tweaking required. Fleshtones are very good as are neutrals and the color depth is very nice overall. I think blacks are somewhat weak which is a little dissapointing. Also dissapointing is the limited viewing angle as I can see a slight color change and even weaker blacks when viewing at just 30 degrees off axis either horizontal or verticle. I should mention that I'm very sensitive to this as I'm a Photographer and work with images every single day doing things such as color correction and matching to original artwork. I had been shopping for an LCD screen for a long time and have viewed many and the first thing I always do is move off axis to a screen and see what happens with the color and black level. The Sony's, Sharps, JVC's(Sharp Panel I think), Panasonics and even the LG's do well in this regard. The Westinghouse does poorly. This 532H is probably somewhere in the middle but closer to the westinghouse in regards to off axis color shifts and lack of a real black(which gets worse off axis). Color though is much better on the 532H than the Westinghous and probably close to the top tier brands mentioned above. I can also say that SD looks pretty decent on this Olevia compared to a lot of the lower end HD displays I have seen. Still not SD CRT quality though. The menu system is very easy to use and navigate but one thing I would suggest is to actually show a value or number along with the bar length indicator so that exact settings could be known. As it is now, there is a triangle which indicates where you are currently but moving up or down say in Brightness, Contrast, Color, etc. gives no exact figure! Also, there should be more control of the Backlight than just "Dark Room" Medium Room" or "Bright Room". Finally, the speakers are just average and it would have been nice to be able to remove them for a more elegant appearence as most people would most likely not use them at all, instead using their Home Theatre Audio system. Overall though, not bad for $xxx delivered. Not Sony, Sharp, ect. Picture quality but probably better than what Wal Mart sells for under xk.

That's pretty impressive for the price (which will soon be censored). From my experience of owning a 32hve black levels have always been a weakness of these low cost panels while Syntax does an excellent job with their deinterlacing of SD content.

Does it have a QAM tuner? If so I suspect it will move into the lead of the discount LCD pack. It just plain looks better than it's competition.

I hope they use the USB port to provide regular firmware updates.

I'm very curious how the 7 series will handle black levels, particularly with higher quality panels.
rtrip is offline  
post #102 of 1900 Old 07-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrip View Post

That's pretty impressive for the price (which will soon be censored). From my experience of owning a 32hve black levels have always been a weakness of these low cost panels while Syntax does an excellent job with their deinterlacing of SD content.

Does it have a QAM tuner? If so I suspect it will move into the lead of the discount LCD pack. It just plain looks better than it's competition.

I hope they use the USB port to provide regular firmware updates.

I'm very curious how the 7 series will handle black levels, particularly with higher quality panels.

Thanks for reminding me about mentioning price. I have corrected that. The more I play with this TV, the more it impresses me. the manual mentions nothing about QAM but connecting my incoming cable directly to the tv and using the Auto cable tune function in the OSD picks up a ton of cable channels which one usually would have to pay for! Very impressive and I guess thats QAM ability. Another thing I have discovered is that by changing the "input" setting in the OSD to Standard Definition(and there is also HD, Progressive, VCR) greatly improves black levels for STD definiton(and probably for HD stuff as well). And the Standard definition quality is really very good. I'm now confident that one would have a very difficult time doing better than this set at this price point.
Flatliner is offline  
post #103 of 1900 Old 07-29-2006, 02:23 PM
MES
Member
 
MES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are the 7 series using the same chipset as the new Denon dvd players? If so, this may be a very impressive set
MES is offline  
post #104 of 1900 Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Member
 
BroChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
glad to see another positive review. i guess that makes it 2 for 2. i never realized that while the calibration menus are good (you know where you originally started from), it does make it difficult to share your settings with others. i'm not sure if thats something that can be added in later, but i will pass it along. it might be a long shot though, becuase you really shouldn't have to change the settings out of the box, unless you like to make non-standard personal changes. this tv's default settings are already calibrated to avia and DVE standards.
BroChaos is offline  
post #105 of 1900 Old 07-30-2006, 04:15 PM
Member
 
westcoastnative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the major differences between the Syntax 532H and the Syntax 537H. Is the picture quality just as good with both sets?
westcoastnative is offline  
post #106 of 1900 Old 07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post

glad to see another positive review. i guess that makes it 2 for 2. i never realized that while the calibration menus are good (you know where you originally started from), it does make it difficult to share your settings with others. i'm not sure if thats something that can be added in later, but i will pass it along. it might be a long shot though, becuase you really shouldn't have to change the settings out of the box, unless you like to make non-standard personal changes. this tv's default settings are already calibrated to avia and DVE standards.

What I'm finding as far as the Calibration goes is that just about every HD cable channel and individual DVD Movie is slightly to majorly different. Unfortunately, they all don't go by avia and DVE standards apparently! So I'm always tweaking the settings for each source AND each channel(and even Movie). Thats one reason why it would be helpful to have a value associated with the various settings of Brightness and Contrast in particular. I seem to always be fighting to hold my details in the whites while also maintaining shadow detail AND a good Black level with the right combo of Brightness/Contrast for each Movie, Source or Channel. After seeing so many LCD sets while shopping, I think this is just one of the limitations(Dynamic Range) of ALL Panels. I should also mention that I suspect that I get more Dynamic Range(Shadow Detail to Highlight Detail) when using the HDMI versus the Component input. I am extremely pleased with this set though.
Flatliner is offline  
post #107 of 1900 Old 07-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Member
 
westcoastnative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Syntax-Brillian Corporation (Nasdaq: BRLC), a manufacturer and marketer of LCD and LCoS HDTVs and digital entertainment products, today announced the launch of a new line of cutting-edge LCD TVs under the company's award-winning Olevia brand.

The impressive new collection of Olevia LCD TVs consisting of the 3 Series,' 5 Series' and 7 Series' features world-class technology, state-of-the-art image processing and video quality that far surpasses any comparably-priced product in the market, and has been designed and engineered to elevate the Olevia brand to top-tier status among its peers. Led into the market by the Olevia 5 Series, Syntax-Brillian's latest line of TVs is the company's first complete product offering since the completion of its merger in late 2005.

The new Olevia 3, 5 and 7 Series TVs feature the latest in video-processing technology and handpicked, state-of-the art components from world-class suppliers, said Vincent Sollitto, CEO of Syntax-Brillian. Syntax-Brillian's expertise in TV technology, supply relationships and focus on quality in design and production have combined to create new Olevia LCD TVs that stand out as among the best in their class in the world.

The feature-rich Olevia 3 Series LCD HDTV Ready TVs are intended for general consumer use and are ideal for displaying crisp digital programming whether received via cable and satellite set-top boxes or broadcast tuner and when displaying images from a DVD, VCR or camcorder. The Olevia 5 Series LCD HDTVs provide exceptional video and audio quality for an unparalleled high-definition cinematic experience at an affordable price, while the elegantly-designed Olevia 7 Series highlights Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) advanced technology that redefines the ultimate home theater experience.

All Olevia 3, 5 and 7 Series LCD TVs feature new industry-leading technology innovations engineered by Syntax-Brillian to perfect video quality. Director's Image technology recreates the director's intended image through calibrated 6500K color temperature, gamma, optimized gray scales and adjustable black levels. Big Picture Technology shows without distortion up to 11% more of digital broadcast images and up to 37% more of analog images. Consumers can protect their investment by easily downloading firmware updates from Syntax-Brillian's website via Olevia's USB port to ensure that their TV will always perform with the latest features, software updates and image-quality improvements. Syntax-Brillian has also designed an easy-to-understand On-Screen Display (OSD) for selecting the optimum image attributes for any viewing environment.

The Olevia 3, 5 and 7 Series LCD TVs leverage the best performance attributes of state-of-the-art video processor technologies including Pixelworks DNX, ATI Xilleon, MTK MDDI and Silicon Optix HQV. The Olevia 3 and 5 Series models support up to 1080i resolution and the Olevia 7 Series supports 1080p. All models are designed to ensure superior clarity of lower-resolution standard analog TV channels, high-definition digital programs, VHS tape content and DVDs.

All new Olevia 3, 5 and 7 series LCD TVs also function as superior computer monitors with PC compatibility featuring up to 1366 x 768 resolution on the Olevia 3 Series and 5 Series TVs on both the VGA and HDMI inputs, while the Olevia 7 Series is capable of displaying 1920 x 1080 resolution. Additionally, RS232C connectivity and control capability allows all new Olevia LCD TV models to be used for a host of other display functions, including high-end industrial applications.

Currently shipping are the Olevia 5 Series LCD HDTVs including 27-, 32-, 37- and 42-inch models designated, respectively, the 527V, 532H, 537H, and 542i. Each Olevia 5 Series model features a high-definition native resolution of 1366 x 768 and a fast 8 ms response time that is ideal for fast-action program viewing such as sporting events and adventure films. The built-in ATSC and NTSC combination tuner provides convenient viewing of high-definition digital programs and standard analog channels. With a sharp dynamic contrast ratio of 1600:1, a cinematic 16:9 aspect ratio, and 178-degree viewing angle, the Olevia 5 Series deliver vivid colors and crisp on-screen images that can comfortably be viewed from almost any location in a room. Versatile connectivity options include PC compatibility of 1360 x 768 @ 60Hz through HDMI and VGA, and video compatibility through HDMI, HD component, composite, and S-Video inputs.

Leveraging engineering excellence has been key to producing these new Olevia LCD HDTVs, said Sam Miller, Chief Product Officer for Syntax-Brillian. The powerful combination of advanced digital-image processing technologies from Pixelworks, ATI, MTK and Silicon Optix plus the leading-edge feature enhancements we've engineered gives Olevia consumers an unbeatable choice of high quality video performance, and with the built-in USB-enabled upgrade capability a solid way to protect their investment.

Olevia 5 Series LCD TVs are available from Syntax-Brillian's network of select national and regional retailer partners. The Olevia 3 Series and 7 Series LCD TVs are expected to be introduced to the market incrementally through September.
westcoastnative is offline  
post #108 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 AM
Senior Member
 
badself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it possible that the 742i will hit the streets in September, when according to Bro Chaos, it is still currently undergoing engineering tweaks/testing as we speak? Something about this timeline does not add up, and I do hope I'm wrong. Once the Sony's come in, I'll be hard-pressed to delay my choice several more months for this set to see the light of day.
badself is offline  
post #109 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

I just received my 532H from Datavis today. I ordered it on Tuesday and I'm located in FL so I would say thats pretty good same day shipping on their part. As for the TV, I must say it has its pluses and minuses like most anything, particularly at this price point. Physically, it appears to be very well made. I have only played with it for a few hours thus far but can already see that the "Home"(versus "showroom") calibration setting out of the box is very good overall with only minimal tweaking required. Fleshtones are very good as are neutrals and the color depth is very nice overall. I think blacks are somewhat weak which is a little dissapointing. Also dissapointing is the limited viewing angle as I can see a slight color change and even weaker blacks when viewing at just 30 degrees off axis either horizontal or verticle. I should mention that I'm very sensitive to this as I'm a Photographer and work with images every single day doing things such as color correction and matching to original artwork. I had been shopping for an LCD screen for a long time and have viewed many and the first thing I always do is move off axis to a screen and see what happens with the color and black level. The Sony's, Sharps, JVC's(Sharp Panel I think), Panasonics and even the LG's do well in this regard. The Westinghouse does poorly. This 532H is probably somewhere in the middle but closer to the westinghouse in regards to off axis color shifts and lack of a real black(which gets worse off axis). Color though is much better on the 532H than the Westinghous and probably close to the top tier brands mentioned above. I can also say that SD looks pretty decent on this Olevia compared to a lot of the lower end HD displays I have seen. Still not SD CRT quality though. The menu system is very easy to use and navigate but one thing I would suggest is to actually show a value or number along with the bar length indicator so that exact settings could be known. As it is now, there is a triangle which indicates where you are currently but moving up or down say in Brightness, Contrast, Color, etc. gives no exact figure! Also, there should be more control of the Backlight than just "Dark Room" Medium Room" or "Bright Room". Finally, the speakers are just average and it would have been nice to be able to remove them for a more elegant appearence as most people would most likely not use them at all, instead using their Home Theatre Audio system. Overall though, not bad for $ delivered. Not Sony, Sharp, ect. Picture quality but probably better than what Wal Mart sells for under 1k.


Thanks for the info....still not sure if I should go with the 27 or 32" but not sure what tv I am replacing first - bedroom 20" or Family Room 36" tube tv....

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
post #110 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Member
 
darkeyes909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Beach, Ca.
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree. The 7 series is my first choice at this point. But for the price being so close, I will wait until the user reviews are in for both of them. I understand that the price is subject to change on the 742i. Really anxious to see the actual sets and compare them.
darkeyes909 is offline  
post #111 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
notreally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toto land
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Thanks for the info....still not sure if I should go with the 27 or 32" but not sure what tv I am replacing first - bedroom 20" or Family Room 36"
tube tv....

The 527v has side mounted speakers making it 5" wider but 10" shorter than the 532H. It also comes with a non illuminated unified remote. The press release on the LGPhilips panels mentioned the sizes LGPhilps manufactures.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
notreally is offline  
post #112 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Member
 
RADMANK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WHATS THE BEST GUESS FOR THE 47 INCH AS FAR AS PRICE? When does it get released?
RADMANK is offline  
post #113 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Member
 
n4fw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lenoir, NC
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the 532H doesn't have an SPDIF audio output jack. Can anyone confirm this?
n4fw is offline  
post #114 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
ExCavTanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's surprising that there's been almost no mention of what I consider THE addition to the Syntax Series 7 that will make it worth waiting for, the integration of the Silicon Optix HQV chip. This video processor chip is talked about extensively in the VP section of AVS. What I'm really curious about is how much of the chip's capabilities they will use, also the chip is going through some growing pains in the Vantage HD processor (being adressed through updates). But clearly the two big dogs in this arena (VP chips) are the Silicon Optix HQV and the Gennum VXP. IMO everything else is old school compared to displays using this VP chip. I for one hope that Syntax exploits the full horsepower this chip is capable of.
ExCavTanker is offline  
post #115 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4fw View Post

Looks like the 532H doesn't have an SPDIF audio output jack. Can anyone confirm this?

No SPDIF. Just R and L RCA and an earphone jack for Audio out.
Flatliner is offline  
post #116 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Member
 
315carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manhattan, IL.
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pardon my ignorance, but what is QAM?
315carter is offline  
post #117 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Thanks for the info....still not sure if I should go with the 27 or 32" but not sure what tv I am replacing first - bedroom 20" or Family Room 36" tube tv....

Your welcome. Since my initial review post, I have been wathing this TV constantly and the more I watch it, the more it impresses. The color is really fantastic. I was just looking at some of my prior top picks(money no object) in BestBuy today such as the Sony and Panasonic and can honestly say that this Olevia is right up there as far as color reproduction goes. I have not even had to mess with the out of box Color settings! The Panasonic and Sony had a better black level and the Panasonic in particular also maintained good detail in those deep blacks but that is really the only thing I can see that this set gives up to those much more expensive sets. Price wise, I think the 32" sets are in a sweet spot offering much larger displays for very little more than the 27" sets. In my viewing room I sit about 8 feet or so from the display and the room is fairly small. In a large room, I would definately go with something larger though.
Flatliner is offline  
post #118 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Flatliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 315carter View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but what is QAM?

I believe its the ability to decode unencrypted cable channels through a direct cable connection to the TV which allows one to tune and view them.
Flatliner is offline  
post #119 of 1900 Old 07-31-2006, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Price wise, I think the 32" sets are in a sweet spot offering much larger displays for very little more than the 27" sets.

Exactly why I am not sure since the price difference is a tad over $100 between the two.
Still have to sell some stuff off to fund one of these sets.....

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
post #120 of 1900 Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 AM
Member
 
315carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manhattan, IL.
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

I believe its the ability to decode unencrypted cable channels through a direct cable connection to the TV which allows one to tune and view them.

Thanks Flatliner.
315carter is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off