Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1900 Old 08-08-2006, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmoon View Post

Could someone with a 532H please post a review including how the ATI chipset does with interlaced materal ( sometime confused with ghosting ). I am also interested in the ease and accessability of the OSD and DTV tuning.

Thanks in advance.

I posted a review a few pages back which you can read. In short, I'm very happy with the 532H. Color depth and reproduction is great and the OSD menu system is very good and easy to use as is the remote. The auto tune mode for QAM cable works great and found a ton of channels. I have not tried over the air tuning yet. In my opinion, the only thing this set looses to say the top of the line Sony or Panasonic at almost twice the price is a real deep black level and the lack of as good an off axis viewing angle. Standard Definition looks as good as it does on the better top end LCD screens, HD looks incredible. With a non progressive scan older DVD player and relying on the ATI chip to do the de-interlacing, I do see some very slight persistant image/ghosting problems. Solution is to get a decent Progressive Scan upressing DVD player for $100 or so if it bothers you. Other than that, I never ever see this with Cable channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1900 Old 08-08-2006, 08:59 PM

Liked: 10
actually, there WILL be a 4 series...
it will be very similar to the 5 series, but it's for a specific retailer, who wants to be different than the rest. they are not out yet.
post #183 of 1900 Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post

actually, there WILL be a 4 series...
it will be very similar to the 5 series, but it's for a specific retailer, who wants to be different than the rest. they are not out yet.

Hmm...sounds like a Costco or Sam's Club type thing. They always have special versions of many products.
post #184 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
5 is a bigger number than 4, so it must be better!
post #185 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM

Can anybody give me an insight to Datavis? I check some reviews and they don't seem very good. How is the experience from the folks here?

Thanks,
post #186 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Noticed while crammed into an airplane seat that Skymall has the 3-series for sale...descriptions are not accurate (they all have the 42" description) but titles and prices seem to match each other.

http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skysto...70&catId=10272
post #187 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post

don't even think about touching the old sets if you want to use a pc with it.

there are no plans for a 737 at this time.

website is supposed to be updated on the 12th. then again, it was supposed to be updated on the 2nd so....we'll see. does the link to the pdf data sheets still work?

We will try too link our site to Olevia when the site is updated with the new models. An interesting press release that a large assembly plant was to open in Ontario, California for LCD and LCoS models.

If I knew for a certainty that a man was coming to my house with the conscious design of doing me good, I should run for my life.
Henry David Thoreau
post #188 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

Hmm...sounds like a Costco or Sam's Club type thing. They always have special versions of many products.

This prevents returns or exchanges of product that wasn't purchased from the original seller.
post #189 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC View Post

This prevents returns or exchanges of product that wasn't purchased from the original seller.

Actually it prevents retailers with "price match" policies from actually having to provide price matches with other sellers on that model. They can say "that is not the same product" since their product would have a model number that is unique to them - even though for all practical purposes it is identicial.
post #190 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsheley View Post

Can anybody give me an insight to Datavis? I check some reviews and they don't seem very good. How is the experience from the folks here?

Thanks,

I can just say that I used them just this one time for the 532H and I had it within 4 days. I did call once following my order as I never received any email confirmation from them or anything. They were not very helpful and said that customer service was gone for the day. Could not even look up my order number. It was only after inputing my order number(be sure to print or write that down!) into their own website section for checking order status that I saw the order had completed and noted a tracking number. So, I guess somewhat mixed reviews as I did in fact recieve my Set very quickly.
post #191 of 1900 Old 08-09-2006, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennynihon View Post

How gullible are you? First you believed it when someone goofed and mentioned a 37" 7 series, and now you've fallen for the mistake of a 4 series. You know I'm just kidding with you.

I never beleived any of it ... it was contrary to what I understood, so I had to ask.
post #192 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 AM

Well I finally placed my order for the 532H. I did it through JR.com so it is on pre-order so it will be here in a few weeks. I called in and the made the price very comparable to the Datavis price.
post #193 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Well I finally placed my order for the 532H. I did it through JR.com so it is on pre-order so it will be here in a few weeks. I called in and the made the price very comparable to the Datavis price.

Did they say when they are suppose to get them in?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #194 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Did they say when they are suppose to get them in?

They said in a couple weeks but they are hoping sooner.
post #195 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
MES

Brochaos....
Is there any word or inkling that they will up the release dates on the 7 series to an earlier time to mix in the the already existing 1080p panels i.e Sony Samsung?
post #196 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 10:01 AM

This maybe a stupid question so please forgive me. My Cable box has a DVI connection on it. So I will need to use a DVI to HDMI cable and then I just plug the audio into the Audio Input on the back of the 532H correct?
post #197 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

FYI - Visual Apex also has the 3 and 5 series listed on their site.
post #198 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT917 View Post

FYI - Visual Apex also has the 3 and 5 series listed on their site.

Yeah but 1/4 of 1k more expensive than datavis.com or if you get jr.com to match shipping the same deal as datavis....

my .02
post #199 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This maybe a stupid question so please forgive me. My Cable box has a DVI connection on it. So I will need to use a DVI to HDMI cable and then I just plug the audio into the Audio Input on the back of the 532H correct?

Yes ... (or hook to your receiver)
post #200 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Yes ... (or hook to your receiver)

Thanks!
post #201 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM

So we are back to only 1 hdmi on the 542? Meanwhile the manual shows how to hook up 3 different devices through HDMI. Why would they even bother taking up space with composite inputs these days?

I know the reason I looked at Syntax to begin with was that things like the little light and the proper inputs inspired confidence that quality was important. I have to say, it sounds so far like they fixed some major complaints which were total flaws from the last round, but then went back cheap in other spots, which is acceptable as long as it does not impact PQ.

It would be nice to have a comparison of the 42 inch models, since we are dealing with different sets of guts on each of the three new models as well as the former one. I understand the new smaller versions look better, but the 42 was the award winner, so how does it compare with the new 3,5&7. I also wonder if the picture is as good without the glass, since they kept it on the more expensive model. I kind of liked the glass look.

When did football games become talk shows?
post #202 of 1900 Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM

I'm really anxious to see how the new 42" stacks up. They are slowly starting to trickle out the e-tailers...
post #203 of 1900 Old 08-11-2006, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

BroChaos, Can you confirm that the 7xx series still includes HDMI 1.3?

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
post #204 of 1900 Old 08-11-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the 532H have a zoom feature... specifially can it take letterboxed ( non-anamorphic 4:3 ) from a progressive scan player and make it fit properly?

I only ask because I will not give up my Panny RP-56 DVD player ( bought back in '01 and still rated one of the best progressive scan out there ).

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #205 of 1900 Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Does the 532H have a zoom feature... specifially can it take letterboxed ( non-anamorphic 4:3 ) from a progressive scan player and make it fit properly?

I only ask because I will not give up my Panny RP-56 DVD player ( bought back in '01 and still rated one of the best progressive scan out there ).

Yes, it has a number of Zoom options such as Full Screen, Widescreen, Aspect, 1:1, Zoom 1 and Zoom 2. The only way to force a letterbox movie that is in the standard 2.35:1 ratio to totally fill the screen with ANY Widescreen TV is to either Zoom and Crop some of the right and left OR compress and distort the image to make it fit. Otherwise, you will always have Black on the bottom and top of a Widescreen Display when viewing a 2.35:1 Movie which is the way the movie was intended to be seen. The 532H offers all the possible options and choices.
post #206 of 1900 Old 08-11-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Yes, it has a number of Zoom options such as Full Screen, Widescreen, Aspect, 1:1, Zoom 1 and Zoom 2. The only way to force a letterbox movie that is in the standard 2.35:1 ratio to totally fill the screen with ANY Widescreen TV is to either Zoom and Crop some of the right and left OR compress and distort the image to make it fit. Otherwise, you will always have Black on the bottom and top of a Widescreen Display when viewing a 2.35:1 Movie which is the way the movie was intended to be seen. The 532H offers all the possible options and choices.

Thanks, just what I needed to know. I don't want to butcher video's, just want non-anamorphic widescreen to properly fill the screen.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #207 of 1900 Old 08-13-2006, 01:46 AM

Yay, just got my 532H. Works great out of box, and now I'm wondering if I should use DVI-HDMI cable or S-video cable ( cable length would be about 40' ) to connect my desktop with this TV and use it as a monitor. Here're my questions:

1. Will I be able to use both my 17" LCD (DVI connection) and this 532H(S-video connection) if I choose to use a s-video cable?

2. How would the picture quality come out on my TV with a 40-foot cable for both S-video and DVI-HDMI?

3. Does using the TV just as a monitor means there's no need to go for a DVI-HDMI cable? ( DVI-HDMI cable is much more expensive than a S-video at that length

4. This one is not so much related to the above: what kind of connection provides the best audio quality if I connect my dvd player with a set of 5.1 speakers?

Any input will be appreciated.
post #208 of 1900 Old 08-13-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk007 View Post

1. Will I be able to use both my 17" LCD (DVI connection) and this 532H(S-video connection) if I choose to use a s-video cable?

2. How would the picture quality come out on my TV with a 40-foot cable for both S-video and DVI-HDMI?

3. Does using the TV just as a monitor means there's no need to go for a DVI-HDMI cable? ( DVI-HDMI cable is much more expensive than a S-video at that length

4. This one is not so much related to the above: what kind of connection provides the best audio quality if I connect my dvd player with a set of 5.1 speakers?

Any input will be appreciated.

1-3) DVI is the only way to use it as a monitor. 40' also means that you MUST buy a very high quality cable or you will get sparkles or no signal at all.

4) Digital connector such as optical tos-link or Coax digital. Either will provide you with more than enough quality for the digital soundtracks on DVD's.

Eric

post #209 of 1900 Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:

1-3) DVI is the only way to use it as a monitor. 40' also means that you MUST buy a very high quality cable or you will get sparkles or no signal at all.

4) Digital connector such as optical tos-link or Coax digital. Either will provide you with more than enough quality for the digital soundtracks on DVD's.

Thank you so much, that's very helpful. I found two 35' DVI-HDMI cable on monoprice, product id: 2753 & 2809. One is 24awg and the other is 22awg. Do you think these two will make much difference on the picture quality? (In this case I'm just using this TV as a monitor, not watching video and stuff.) Am I getting sparkles or no signal at all like you said with these two inexpensive cables?

Also I just tried to connect my laptop with the TV through VGA and it said invalid format. Does that mean I can't use the TV as a monitor through VGA? Or am I doing wrong? Since my laptop only have VGA output, how would I connect these two then? Lots of questions... ughh...

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
post #210 of 1900 Old 08-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Any update on when the 7xx models will be available? The 2006 product comparision sheet pointed to earlier in this thread claims the 747i will be available this month. Also, is there any MRSP for these units yet?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page