Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 2109 Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by katleman
Considering the GV42L, space wise, it fits better than the 47" that is full 1080p.

Any rumors on 42" from Vizio that supports 1080p? If it's coming out this year, I might as well wait.
Yes Vizio will be releasing a 42" 1080p and a 52" 1080p to go along with the 47" brother that is currently out. Nice feature it's going to have also. The new remote looks sharp also.

VIZIO+GV42L+FHD+TV[1].pdf 259.2802734375k . file

VIZIO+GV52L+FHD+TV[1].pdf 259.6982421875k . file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2109 Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 AM

Liked: 11
Has anyone had problems adding the GV42L as s device to the Harmony 880? I get some error about it cannot add the input '-' when I try to update my remote with this TV. I left everything at default when I added the device.
post #1803 of 2109 Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 AM

I am trying to decide between the GV42L and the L42. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in picture quality between these two? I know the GV42L has a higher contrast ratio, but I didn't know if there was any picture quality difference.
post #1804 of 2109 Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc42 View Post

I am trying to decide between the GV42L and the L42. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in picture quality between these two? I know the GV42L has a higher contrast ratio, but I didn't know if there was any picture quality difference.

I think it's in here "somewhere" that the GV is a little more configurable so you can tweak it a bit more. They're fairly close. The GV can also lose the speakers if you're mounting and using an external audio system. Cleaner look on the wall. Both are good performers, overall especially for the money.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1805 of 2109 Old 04-22-2007, 02:46 PM

Curious to find out when it will be available!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCDSareKING View Post

Yes Vizio will be releasing a 42" 1080p and a 52" 1080p to go along with the 47" brother that is currently out. Nice feature it's going to have also. The new remote looks sharp also.

post #1806 of 2109 Old 04-23-2007, 12:25 AM

Anyone else experience this?
Got the GV42L and a Motorola DCT6416 III STB connected through HDMI. (I've also tested it with component, and everything that follows still applies). The TV receives OTA HD channels beautifully, and the Comcast HD channels through the box come through perfectly as well.

My only problem with this set/box combination is that Comcast's HD On Demand programming is coming through at 480i SD resolution. It comes through in its intended wide screen format, but I have to put the TV in zoom mode to fill the screen, and of course it's still not in HD. I've fiddled with about every setting on my cable box and my TV, and nothing resolves this problem. The only thing I have been able to do to get the TV to at least say it's displaying HD content when watching On Demand is set the STB's "4:3 Override" setting to "off." However, although the TV still says it's displaying 720p content, it's clear that it's not an HD picture (as compared with, say, HBO HD or other digital cable HD channels). Also, the SD channel quality noticeably deteriorates with this setting turned to "off." The HD channels look the same no matter how I have the 4:3 override setting set. Since I still watch quite a bit of SD programming, the terrible picture quality with the setting turned to "off" is unacceptable.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas I can try out? Comcast is trying to be helpful, but they act as if no one else has complained that the HD On Demand programming comes through in 480i, and they keep saying that they don't know if it is the On Demand content being provided or a problem with my STB. I've tried the free HD On Demand content, as well as the content provided by the premium channels I subscribe to, and it's the same story with all of them. I'd love to hear from someone else who may have some experience with this problem. Thanks so much!
post #1807 of 2109 Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacrick View Post

Anyone else experience this?
Got the GV42L and a Motorola DCT6416 III STB connected through HDMI. (I've also tested it with component, and everything that follows still applies). The TV receives OTA HD channels beautifully, and the Comcast HD channels through the box come through perfectly as well.

My only problem with this set/box combination is that Comcast's HD On Demand programming is coming through at 480i SD resolution. It comes through in its intended wide screen format, but I have to put the TV in zoom mode to fill the screen, and of course it's still not in HD. I've fiddled with about every setting on my cable box and my TV, and nothing resolves this problem. The only thing I have been able to do to get the TV to at least say it's displaying HD content when watching On Demand is set the STB's "4:3 Override" setting to "off." However, although the TV still says it's displaying 720p content, it's clear that it's not an HD picture (as compared with, say, HBO HD or other digital cable HD channels). Also, the SD channel quality noticeably deteriorates with this setting turned to "off." The HD channels look the same no matter how I have the 4:3 override setting set. Since I still watch quite a bit of SD programming, the terrible picture quality with the setting turned to "off" is unacceptable.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas I can try out? Comcast is trying to be helpful, but they act as if no one else has complained that the HD On Demand programming comes through in 480i, and they keep saying that they don't know if it is the On Demand content being provided or a problem with my STB. I've tried the free HD On Demand content, as well as the content provided by the premium channels I subscribe to, and it's the same story with all of them. I'd love to hear from someone else who may have some experience with this problem. Thanks so much!

I have had the exact same problem since HD On-demand started. I have two 3416's connected via compoment cables, one to a HD RP CRT and one to an HD LCD. No matter what I select for HD on demand, I get a 480i signal.

If anyone has an answer, I would love to hear it. I had a tech out once for it, but the tech had no clue about it, nor did tech support.

It sounds like it does work for some people. I just want to know how.
post #1808 of 2109 Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc42 View Post

The higher contrast ratio is a very mixed blessing. Vizio achieves it by varying the intensity of the backlight. As the scenes change, so will the backlight brightness. Sometimes this works fine but sometimes the change in the backlight is quite noticeable. I don't use it.

One other little difference that I really noticed, much to my surprise, was this: on the GV42L the Vizio logo is illuminated and changes color when the TV is turned on. At one point my GV42L had an L42 motherboard in it (a failed repair attempt -- I got a refurb replacement that has worked fine since). I really missed the glowing logo because the TV turns on with "soft" buttons, either on the remote or the side of the TV. With the L42 setup I couldn't be sure if the TV had clicked on or not. Yes, it only took a second or two to find out if I had hit the "on" button properly but I'm glad I have that feedback again.
post #1809 of 2109 Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 PM

Need help with remote control. I think the batteries died so I replaced them with new batteries. Now the remote will do nothing. I tried programing in the TV code to the TV button based on the manual and now it turns on and off, volume, and channel changing. But the input buttons won't change the input any more. When I push menu I get the menu but I can't move around in it.

I have the GV42L and love it...but this is killing me to get up to change the input.
post #1810 of 2109 Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 PM

i think ive about had it with this tv, the humming sound from the speaker, the crackling after you turn it off, now to top it off, i hooked up a philips hts6500 home theater system, and remembered that if you turn the bass up on this tv, it distorts the sound. i think its about time for an upgrade, prob go name brand this time.
post #1811 of 2109 Old 04-25-2007, 03:15 PM

Hi, first time member. Just wanted to mention that I got my GV42 a couple of months ago and love the quality and price I paid. Only drawback was the weak 10W speakers, which I turned off through the menu and have hooked up directly to my Yamaha. Problem solved. I also just recently got a PS3 that I have hooked up through the HDMI, the other HDMI I have to my Dish 622 HD DVR. I am disappointed to find out that the PS3 doesn't convert blu-ray movies to 720p. Only 1080i or 480p. After seeing the new FHD model coming out I'm thinking about taking advantage of my Costco return policy (I purchased before the change) and upgrading. Does anyone know when the new GV42-FHD model will be out and what the going price will be?
post #1812 of 2109 Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post

The higher contrast ratio is a very mixed blessing. Vizio achieves it by varying the intensity of the backlight. As the scenes change, so will the backlight brightness. Sometimes this works fine but sometimes the change in the backlight is quite noticeable. I don't use it.

One other little difference that I really noticed, much to my surprise, was this: on the GV42L the Vizio logo is illuminated and changes color when the TV is turned on. At one point my GV42L had an L42 motherboard in it (a failed repair attempt -- I got a refurb replacement that has worked fine since). I really missed the glowing logo because the TV turns on with "soft" buttons, either on the remote or the side of the TV. With the L42 setup I couldn't be sure if the TV had clicked on or not. Yes, it only took a second or two to find out if I had hit the "on" button properly but I'm glad I have that feedback again.

On my L42 the small light on the lower right corner of the set changes from yellow when the set is off to green when it is on.
post #1813 of 2109 Old 04-26-2007, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicini View Post

Need help with remote control. I think the batteries died so I replaced them with new batteries. Now the remote will do nothing. I tried programing in the TV code to the TV button based on the manual and now it turns on and off, volume, and channel changing. But the input buttons won't change the input any more. When I push menu I get the menu but I can't move around in it.

I have the GV42L and love it...but this is killing me to get up to change the input.

I would call vizio and tell them to send you another remote under their warranty
post #1814 of 2109 Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Went ahead and purchased the L42 last night. I will be hooking up to to Time Warners HD service and was wondering what cords or extras i will need. thanks or any help
post #1815 of 2109 Old 05-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportznut02 View Post

Went ahead and purchased the L42 last night. I will be hooking up to to Time Warners HD service and was wondering what cords or extras i will need. thanks or any help

Sportznut02, you will need either an HDMI or Component cable(s) as you will want to carry the HD through it.
Good luck.
post #1816 of 2109 Old 05-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Wide screen being turned out automatically?

OK... When I am watching TV (Via HDMI through DirecTV HR-20), the SD channels come in as they should = Black pillar on each side to maintain the 4x3 aspect ration. When I tune to a HD-TV channel, it fills the whole screen.

No problems there.

But when I play Nintendo Wii, or X-Box, it seems to make EVERYTHING wide screen. At first I thought this was fine because those games were designed for widescreen. But I noticed playing OLD SCHOOL "Punch Out" on the Wii, that it filled the whole screen. This game should definitely only be 4x3 aspect ratio.

The Wii and the X-Box are both hooked up through components. Do I have some kind of "auto-widen" feature turned on?? Some of these games MAY be designed for wide screen, but definitely not all of them
post #1817 of 2109 Old 05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Walmart now carries the Vizio VW42L.

Which is just the Walmart Version of the VX42L.

It is the same exact TV, except it has an all black front, no silver bottom.

And it has a Black Remote Control which is not Universal.

Other than that, it has the same specs,
post #1818 of 2109 Old 05-04-2007, 12:38 PM

How is the VX42L/VW42L different fromt the TVs being discussed in this thread (GV42L and L42)?
post #1819 of 2109 Old 05-05-2007, 07:24 AM

Hey all

I have owned a Vizio L42 HDTV for the past few months and love it. Its native resolution is 1366x768 so I typically run my 360 at 720p.

I recently grabbed a PS3 and Im having issues with the resolution. When looking at very small text - I find that the 720p setting is slightly blurry - the 1080i setting is a little better - and the 1080p setting is perfect, but a little grainy.

Now, my TV isnt suppose to support 1080p....but I have read some forums and apparently the TV accepts a 1080p signal so it displays that when you are playing it.

My question is this - is it possible my TV is actually outputting a true 1080p signal - or is it just passing it through? What exactly am I seeing then if it is not displaying 1080p?

Wierd thing is, the PS3 definitely looks better when using the 1080p setting (albeit a bit grainy). Im using the HDMI input on the PS3 and the VGA on the 360 (set for 1366x768)

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=11
post #1820 of 2109 Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM

gulbane,

How do BluRay movies look like on the TV? I've heard some TV's won't play BluRay movies on the PS3 HDMI cable because of handshaking issue or something like that.
post #1821 of 2109 Old 05-08-2007, 04:36 AM

I just bought my L42 last night. Bought it after reading about it here and I have a couple of questions:

1. I've read alot about a "Harmony Remote". Is this an aftermarket remote? And if so where can I find one and what's wrong with the remote that comes with the unit?

2. I have an Xbox 360. Which is the more common hook up: HDMI or Composite?

If these questions have already been asked and answered, I apologize, but if they have, can someone point me to the thread/page that it was answered on?

Thanks,

Michael
post #1822 of 2109 Old 05-08-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper2672 View Post

I just bought my L42 last night. Bought it after reading about it here and I have a couple of questions:

1. I've read alot about a "Harmony Remote". Is this an aftermarket remote? And if so where can I find one and what's wrong with the remote that comes with the unit?

2. I have an Xbox 360. Which is the more common hook up: HDMI or Composite?

If these questions have already been asked and answered, I apologize, but if they have, can someone point me to the thread/page that it was answered on?

Thanks,

Michael

1. Yes, they are after market remotes. People like them because they are easily programmable and many offer a learning capability making them true universal remotes. You can also program such things as when you turn on your dvd player, with that button it also turns on your television and set it to the correct input and turns on your receiver again, turning it to the correct input- that's just 1 button press rather than several.
2. I don't know which is more common, but generally hdmi is going to be more common (or at least preferred) with HD sets. Composite cables are not capable of HD resolutions.
post #1823 of 2109 Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulbane View Post

Hey all

I have owned a Vizio L42 HDTV for the past few months and love it. Its native resolution is 1366x768 so I typically run my 360 at 720p.

I recently grabbed a PS3 and Im having issues with the resolution. When looking at very small text - I find that the 720p setting is slightly blurry - the 1080i setting is a little better - and the 1080p setting is perfect, but a little grainy.

Now, my TV isnt suppose to support 1080p....but I have read some forums and apparently the TV accepts a 1080p signal so it displays that when you are playing it.

My question is this - is it possible my TV is actually outputting a true 1080p signal - or is it just passing it through? What exactly am I seeing then if it is not displaying 1080p?

Wierd thing is, the PS3 definitely looks better when using the 1080p setting (albeit a bit grainy). Im using the HDMI input on the PS3 and the VGA on the 360 (set for 1366x768)

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=11

You are NOT viewing the image(s) at 1080p. The television set is not capable of displaying that resolution. (My guess is) It may be showing up better because it's processor is better at down scaling the image from 1080p to 768 rather than up scaling the image to 768. The native resolution refers to the actual number of pixels that make up the screen.
post #1824 of 2109 Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sominex30 View Post

Wide screen being turned out automatically?

OK... When I am watching TV (Via HDMI through DirecTV HR-20), the SD channels come in as they should = Black pillar on each side to maintain the 4x3 aspect ration. When I tune to a HD-TV channel, it fills the whole screen.

No problems there.

But when I play Nintendo Wii, or X-Box, it seems to make EVERYTHING wide screen. At first I thought this was fine because those games were designed for widescreen. But I noticed playing OLD SCHOOL "Punch Out" on the Wii, that it filled the whole screen. This game should definitely only be 4x3 aspect ratio.

The Wii and the X-Box are both hooked up through components. Do I have some kind of "auto-widen" feature turned on?? Some of these games MAY be designed for wide screen, but definitely not all of them

I don't know for the x-box, but the Wii does have setting in it for widescreen vs 4x3. On the main menu Wii screen you can go into the Wii setup and change it to 4x3. The tv is displaying what it's being told to- I assume your consules are set to widescreen and therefore sending the signals that way.
Also, check what aspect your tv is set to. Mine will do different aspects for different programming as well as the different inputs-
post #1825 of 2109 Old 05-08-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd8653 View Post

1. Yes, they are after market remotes. People like them because they are easily programmable and many offer a learning capability making them true universal remotes. You can also program such things as when you turn on your dvd player, with that button it also turns on your television and set it to the correct input and turns on your receiver again, turning it to the correct input- that's just 1 button press rather than several.
2. I don't know which is more common, but generally hdmi is going to be more common (or at least preferred) with HD sets. Composite cables are not capable of HD resolutions.

Thanks BD! Wedding anniversary is tonight so I won't be setting it up just yet, but tomorrow night, it's on!
post #1826 of 2109 Old 05-08-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike171979 View Post

Walmart now carries the Vizio VW42L which is just the Walmart Version of the VX42L. It is the same exact TV, except it has an all black front, no silver bottom. And it has a Black Remote Control which is not Universal.
Other than that, it has the same specs,

42 inch,1366X768 VIZIO VX42LHDTV10A LCD- $999 from Vizio on-line [lcd-bob]
http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=30
VIZIO's VX42L High Definition Liquid Crystal Display blends high performance with an incredible value. Only the best ingredients reside within the thin 3.9" display (wall mounting capable) including 1366 x 768 native resolution, wide 16:9 aspect ratio and multiple video input sources, two of which support HDMI technology. Vivid colors with breathtaking response times are sure to carry you into the high-definition future. The VIZIO VX42L.

Walmart sells an all black version of this set for $100 less: Model VW42LHDTV10A.

If you can wait a month or two, Vizio is coming out with a 1080p 42" LCD $1199.
http://www.twice.com/article/CA6419567.html
Also planned is the Gallevia GV42LF ($1,199) 42W-inch LCD TV, which will include Genesis video processing circuitry.

At CES, the company showed a 1080p 52W-inch Gallevia LCD that to be introduced in August for less than $2,000. The set will feature four HDMI inputs, and a side mounted USB port. It will also employ next-generation Genesis Cortez Advanced video processing circuitry.
Read about Genesis Cortez VIDEO PROCESSOR http://gnss.com/prod_fp_tv.phtml
post #1827 of 2109 Old 05-08-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the post, lcd-bob. That price point for the 1080p 42" set is excellent. I'll likely pick one up.
post #1828 of 2109 Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM

[quote=lcd-bob]42 inch,1366X768 VIZIO VX42LHDTV10A LCD- $999 from Vizio on-line [lcd-bob]
http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=30
VIZIO's VX42L High Definition Liquid Crystal Display blends high performance with an incredible value. Only the best ingredients reside within the thin 3.9" display (wall mounting capable) including 1366 x 768 native resolution, wide 16:9 aspect ratio and multiple video input sources, two of which support HDMI technology. Vivid colors with breathtaking response times are sure to carry you into the high-definition future. The VIZIO VX42L.

Walmart sells an all black version of this set for $100 less: Model VW42LHDTV10A.

Look Closer....
Walmarts version is NOT the same...
they do not have PIP/POP or Audio/Optical out connections and a few other things, my son works there and bought his the day they came in, so I never had a chance to check it out, he brought it back the next day, and went to sams..
the remote is the same, but the manual says these buttons do not work because feature is not installed....
post #1829 of 2109 Old 05-15-2007, 06:36 PM

The VW42L does too have PIP and POP. A guy even has screenshots of it in the VW42L thread. Take a look.
post #1830 of 2109 Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDex View Post

The VW42L does too have PIP and POP. A guy even has screenshots of it in the VW42L thread. Take a look.

My Mistake.. I am not sure about the VW42L, it was the VW32L and the VW37L that he had gotten and it did not have PIP and POP or any Audio Out, I thought he had said he got the 42" and took it back to get the 37" , but I was wrong.
sorry for the confusion.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page