Vizio GV42L & L42 42" LCDs - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 2109 Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the GV42L purchased from tigerdirect.com refurbished Sept 2007. Just yesterday the sound went. The picture is perfect, but there is no sound. I tried unplugging for 30 mins and the sound works for less than 60 seconds. Any help or direction on where to go is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2109 Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Liked: 14
Anyone have the original CNET settings? The CNET link no longer works.
post #2103 of 2109 Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 PM

So I have had the GV42L for a while and notice there is definite overscan.

The menu & manual have no way to adjust the horizontal vertical, and to date only by using Boxee on my Apple TV (a while ago) and Vudu on my LG BD390 was I able to adjust the settings when those software applications were running.

Any ideas on how to fix this once for all devices?
post #2104 of 2109 Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM

I know this is an old thread but thought I would ask a question here anyway. I scanned thru most of this thread but didn't find any reference to my problem.

On HDMI input, after the TV has been on a while, I get horizontal streaks across the screen. Not bad, just enough to be annoying. If I shut the TV off, the problem is gone when I restart. Or, if I switch to AV input then back to HDMI, the problem is gone for a while then comes back after 25-30 minutes.

Any ideas? I am not an electronics guy, but I would guess it is acting like a static build up of some sort since the problem goes away by switching inputs or power cycling the TV.

I have had my Visio GV42L for about 4 years now with no other issues at all and it gets used a lot.

thanks
Don
post #2105 of 2109 Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwooddon View Post

I know this is an old thread but thought I would ask a question here anyway. I scanned thru most of this thread but didn't find any reference to my problem.

On HDMI input, after the TV has been on a while, I get horizontal streaks across the screen. Not bad, just enough to be annoying. If I shut the TV off, the problem is gone when I restart. Or, if I switch to AV input then back to HDMI, the problem is gone for a while then comes back after 25-30 minutes.

Any ideas? I am not an electronics guy, but I would guess it is acting like a static build up of some sort since the problem goes away by switching inputs or power cycling the TV.

I have had my Visio GV42L for about 4 years now with no other issues at all and it gets used a lot.

thanks
Don

Check the HDMI cable connection at both ends. Also try a different cable if that doesn't help.
post #2106 of 2109 Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 AM

i am getting crazy scrambled lines to the point i can't see really what is on the tv, only with the Xbox thru HDMI. it works through AV. it happened when i lost the connection mid game. i used to lose audio intermittently, and i'd unplug HDMI, plug back in and be good to go, didn't happen this time. and i have not been able to get it to work since. i have reset everything multiple times and left them unplugged throughout the day. also have a case going with microsoft, but am not sure if its the Xbox or the TV!

1.my xbox works on my brothers samsung

2.his xbox works on either of my HDMI

3.my suddenlink cable works on either HDMI

if that ain't confusing i don't know what is lol
post #2107 of 2109 Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 PM

Liked: 11
I know this is an old thread but I got a new TV for the living room, and as a result this one got migrated to the bedroom to replace and old 30" CRT HDTV.

Does anyone who is still using this TV using OTA channels for it? When it was in the living room I never bothered hooked it up to an OTA asI had a Cox HD DVR via HDMI so I was using that.

So when I moved it to the bedroom I hooked up to the same OTA antenna that the old TV was using and and when I do the channel setup the Vizio TV will not scann for Digital ATSC channels. I did make sure I have the TUNER mode set to AIR and not CABLE, it actually found one obscure UHF analog channel which is surprising, I thought there were all off-air by now.

I know the anenna works for digital ATSC because this is a replacement bedroom TV and I am using and the antenna worked fine with the older TV, I even got a cheap $10 HomeWorx HDTV Digital Flat Antenna from Amazon to test it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVUAGU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and it still won't scan digital.

I called Vizio tech support on this afternoon and they said this TV probably doesn't support digital channels without a HD box or converter. But since the TV is out of warranty they didn't really want to help. If it doesn't support digital channels why is on the channel scan menus?

They tech I spoke with just referred me to their out of warranty repair center, a company called ITI Repairs.

Anyone else have issues with digital channel scan?
post #2108 of 2109 Old 06-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Liked: 12
I have a GV42L which developed the same issue. It scans the analog band but it get stuck and does nothing once it gets to the digital band. The TV does support digital OTA, mine worked for years. In my case the digital tuner now works erratically, it seems like it "forgets" all the channels in the memory, but it works again if I either turn on and off the TV multiple times or if I cycle through the inputs with the "input" button on the remote until I get to RGB, I let the TV turn off on itself (it happens after a few seconds), wait until the relay clicks, then turn it on through the "input" button and quickly cycle back to the "TV" input pressing it repeatedly. This trick "unlocks" the digital tuner and all my channels are back, without rescanning. I got fed up with this (it does not work all the time) and few days ago I got an ePvision PHD-208 external HDTV tuner.
Sinistar83 likes this.
post #2109 of 2109 Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post

I have a GV42L which developed the same issue. It scans the analog band but it get stuck and does nothing once it gets to the digital band. The TV does support digital OTA, mine worked for years. In my case the digital tuner now works erratically, it seems like it "forgets" all the channels in the memory, but it works again if I either turn on and off the TV multiple times or if I cycle through the inputs with the "input" button on the remote until I get to RGB, I let the TV turn off on itself (it happens after a few seconds), wait until the relay clicks, then turn it on through the "input" button and quickly cycle back to the "TV" input pressing it repeatedly. This trick "unlocks" the digital tuner and all my channels are back, without rescanning. I got fed up with this (it does not work all the time) and few days ago I got an ePvision PHD-208 external HDTV tuner.

Thanks for the tip. I may try that trick. I really only use this TV in the morning to watch news when getting ready for work and maybe a bit of Jimmy Fallon before going to bed.so I'm not sure if it's wroth getting an HD tuner for it. Right now it's working in SD mode hooked up to the basic cable signal in the wall.

EDIT: Tried your suggestion for about 30 minutes or so trying to get to work, didn't work frown.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page