help!!!! LCD OR PLASMA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
chirodcky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HELP ....im looking to buy a 42-50 inch flat for my living room...ill be sitting 15-20 ft away...no games just sports and dvds...fairly dark room...what about dlps?...its been awhile since i bought a tv as u can tell...but want a good pic and am willing to spend 1800-2200 ...720 or 1080? are all plasmas 1080?will be using dish sat...sat guys told me some of the best pics he has seen come from maxents or samsungs plasma....my poker buddies say DLP???? the guy at best buy says LCD?help me!!!!!!!! also whats up w/ the 720 vs 1080?? wouldnt a 1268x720 be able to show 1080?
chirodcky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
cammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would say plasma. I have an LCD, and my sister has a plasma. I love the plasma with sports. As a matter of fact, she owns the TH-42PWD7uy series..commercial.

Cheers to football season!
Cambryn

Out with the old in with the new.
cammy is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirodcky
HELP ....im looking to buy a 42-50 inch flat for my living room...ill be sitting 15-20 ft away...no games just sports and dvds...fairly dark room...what about dlps?...its been awhile since i bought a tv as u can tell...but want a good pic and am willing to spend 1800-2200 ...720 or 1080? are all plasmas 1080?will be using dish sat...sat guys told me some of the best pics he has seen come from maxents or samsungs plasma....my poker buddies say DLP???? the guy at best buy says LCD? help me!!!!!!!! also whats up w/ the 720 vs 1080?? wouldnt a 1268x720 be able to show 1080?
Don't concern yourself with the resolutions - you're so far away from the screen that none of it really matters anyway. Any current plasma will display a 720p or 1080i signal. Some will display a 1080p signal but they're way over your budget and i don't think there are any 1080p sources anyway. Don't listen to buddies or BB or satellite installers.

For a 15+ foot distance even a 50" is too small so maybe a gigantic DLP RPTV might be better for you as long as you don't mind replacing the $300+ bulb every year or two (worst case scenario).

You won't find a large enough LCD flat panel for your low budget, so if you want a flat panel you should check out the economy 50" Plasmas like the Vizio or sumthin similar. Don't expect great picture quality though, but i don't think it matter from such a far distance.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've tried them all except DLP (look into bulb issues) and my suggestion is to wait till just before Christmas and save a little more money, and buy a flat panel LCD. Buy a 45" Sharp or the new 46" Sony thats due out soon. Flat panel LCD has the least amount of issues.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 07:54 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband
I've tried them all except DLP (look into bulb issues) and my suggestion is to wait till just before Christmas and save a little more money, and buy a flat panel LCD. Buy a 45" Sharp or the new 46" Sony thats due out soon. Flat panel LCD has the least amount of issues.
To be used for sports and DVDs, in a dark room, 15-20 foot viewing distance, an $1800-$2200 budget, yet you recommend a 46" Sharp or Sony LCD??? I don't get it :eek:

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oztech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 7,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
i am thinking with that budget a 42 plasma and set closer.
oztech is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Go to "soundandvisionmag.com, and read their review of the 42" Vizio. Their findings can be transferred to the 50". Anything smaller than 50" would be a problem for me at your viewing distance.
andy sullivan is online now  
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Schteevie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
To be used for sports and DVDs, in a dark room, 15-20 foot viewing distance, an $1800-$2200 budget, yet you recommend a 46" Sharp or Sony LCD??? I don't get it :eek:
I agree with this.

- a sub 50" LCD would not perform well in a dark room at 15+ feet, or fit the budget for that matter.

My recommendation is definitely going to be a plasma for this user.
Schteevie is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Mikead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This should be a great help...from a professional:

http://searchwarp.com/swa43186.htm
Mikead is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Member
 
The_Mongoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My two cents: you mentioned a size range of 42-50. That's a narrow enough range in LCD, but in plasma I would caution you about the 42 inch screens. Almost all 42 inch plasmas, while maintaining their "HD" status by having 768 lines, actually cut 20% of the horizontal resolution by have 1024 pixels across instead of the standard 1366.

It's not particularly noticeable, but if you're going to spend big money on a screen, I think you should get all the pixels you're paying for.

Good luck!
The_Mongoose is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
oldcband's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
To be used for sports and DVDs, in a dark room, 15-20 foot viewing distance, an $1800-$2200 budget, yet you recommend a 46" Sharp or Sony LCD??? I don't get it :eek:
Well lets see if I can shed a little lite on the issue. From listening to experts on televisions since the early 80's and one of my favorite persons to listen to on satellite radio was Chuck Dawson. He started Home Theatre magazine and the one thing he used to tell callers calling in asking what television they should buy, he'd always say as TV's get larger "brightness" is everything and buy a Runco if you want the best. So heres where we start, I'm starting to see more and more members saying, you have to get your plasma out of the really bright mode. Well its common sense that I ask why? The more I learn if you have to reduce the brightness of your TV something is wrong. And its a contrast problem. Now your more expensive plasmas don't have these issues from what I've read, so if your going to buy a plasma buy a Runco, Fujitsu or a Pioneer and the least expensive one in this bunch is the Pioneer. Which has a contrast ratio that is lower than most plasmas.
Now whats more expensive these plasmas or a 45" Sharp? And I don't believe we have to be professional experts to have worthy opinions. Buy what works right with the budget that you have not something you might be disappionted with.
Also another test is to go BB or CC and look at a subtitled movie on LCD and plasma (budget plasma) and tell me what you thing when there in the brightest modes.

These are just my opinions.
oldcband is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
billybob_jcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Just past the Oediv-Oidua nebula
Posts: 2,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband
Well lets see if I can shed a little lite on the issue. From listening to experts on televisions since the early 80's and one of my favorite persons to listen to on satellite radio was Chuck Dawson. He started Home Theatre magazine and the one thing he used to tell callers calling in asking what television they should buy, he'd always say as TV's get larger "brightness" is everything and buy a Runco if you want the best. So heres where we start, I'm starting to see more and more members saying, you have to get your plasma out of the really bright mode. Well its common sense that I ask why? The more I learn if you have to reduce the brightness of your TV something is wrong. And its a contrast problem. Now your more expensive plasmas don't have these issues from what I've read, so if your going to buy a plasma buy a Runco, Fujitsu or a Pioneer and the least expensive one in this bunch is the Pioneer. Which has a contrast ratio that is lower than most plasmas.
Now whats more expensive these plasmas or a 45" Sharp? And I don't believe we have to be professional experts to have worthy opinions. Buy what works right with the budget that you have not something you might be disappionted with.
Also another test is to go BB or CC and look at a subtitled movie on LCD and plasma (budget plasma) and tell me what you thing when there in the brightest modes.
I'll disagree with several things you've said:

1) It isn't just "brightness" that is being reduced when you move the settings from the typical out-of-the-box defaults - it is also saturation, sharpening, and other settings. Over-saturated, over-sharpened & in general over-processed displays cause problems in color accuracy, contrast, edge artifacts, "clayface", black crush, etc - regardless of the brightness. I will agree that a low contrast ratio can be a problem at very high brightness - but it can also be a problem at low brightness, and it certainly isn't the only issue.

2) Who said Fujitsu, Runco & Pioneer don't have the same issues with contrast ratio? They do - it's all just a matter of degrees, and the BIG thing these displays do better than the others is not contrast ratio - it is the signal processing electronics.

3) In the "old days" brightness was the major factor for home theater - but of course we were all talking about analog CRTs, and front & rear projectors. Plasma & LCD flat panels and digital signals changed the landscape considerably.

4) Unless you are looking at measured contrast ratios in a consistent & controlled environment, contrast ratio specs are meaningless. You can't compare the mfr specs for contrast ratio between Sharp & Pioneer (or any other two mfrs).

If you want the highest contrast ratio, buy a direct-view CRT. If you want the brightest flat panel display, buy an LCD. If you want the best overall picture quality for home theater in a 50" display at the lowest price, buy a plasma. ;)

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
billybob_jcv is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Westinghouse 42 inch LCD is the answner to all your problems. it can be had for well under 2k, it accepts and display 1080P on all digital inputs. It has a great picture over all as well
swanlee is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
malaugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think this thread is turning into another LCD vs plasma war. With your budget, get a 50" plasma. Look at the Maxent and Visio. For the same price, you will only be able to afford a 42" LCD and it will be too small for the room. Some LCDs also have issues with fast movement (i.e sports shows). Do not worry about all this resolution stuff, any TV you buy will do a great job displaying 1080i and 720P inputs.

You could save some money with a DLP, but its physically a lot bigger, and people have issues with "rainbows". Look it up in the RP forum.
malaugh is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 7,041
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Your budget and viewing distance places you at Samsung 1080P DLP or Sony A2000 SXRD 1080P Territory.

Of course LCD/PDP FP would work but kind of small from 15'. I view a 45" Sharp at 8.5' and it's too small for me now and will be upgrading as 1080i and HD DVD is so clear I can get right up to the screen without any pixels at your at nearly double the distance.

If you go PDP I simply would extend the budget to Pio/Panny/Samsung's 50" but your budget for viewing distance is matching up with the RPTV unfortunately but in fact those two can provide an awesome viewing experience from with the sweet spot. The current Sony SXRD (A2000) is selling for about $2K less than it did when it debuted last year. One of the reasons RPTV's still have strong sales is to provide HT size for those with such a budget. Good Luck whatever you choose. :)

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is online now  
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BOSS10L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirodcky
HELP....ill be sitting 15-20 ft away...no games just sports and dvds...fairly dark room...but want a good pic and am willing to spend 1800-2200
This just so screams for a pj and screen it isn't even funny. At 15'-20', even a 50" plasma will look quite small after the first week of "newness" wears off. Unless he's willing to sit closer, that is.

Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever.
Choosing sides is so...last gen.
360/PS3/Wii/HD DVD/Blu-Ray/Plasma/PJ - Too much money
Not having to choose - Priceless
BOSS10L is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Member
 
madflava76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you don't want the TV for games then go with Plasma. It's cheaper and you can get larger sizes.
madflava76 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off