Official Samsung LN-S4692D Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 458 Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Official Samsung LN-S4692D Owners Thread - for owners or "possible owners" to discuss picture quality, sound, setting, issues, and concerns, including using this TV with other devices, such as surround sound systems, dvd players, video game systems, etc. This TV is extremely popular, because it's a large (somewhat) affordable LCD. This thread is an owners community, to share our experiences and to help each other acheive optimal use of this TV.

Of course, any picture quality can be affected by room conditions, distance from screen, source, light, etc...but by comparing our TV's set up, we can all try to achieve optimal settings, perhaps by trying something new.

For the most part, on any source, the best all-around Picture Quality settings I've found are the following:

Contrast: 82
Brightness: 62
Sharpness: 35
Color: 56
"Normal" color filter

Digital NR: On
Film: On (when applicable)

Issues/concerns: I find in darker shadows, or shadows on faces, HD or SD, much of the time those areas are a shade of "green" and not "gray"...or have a bit of green glow. I've adjusted the settings, but it seems I have to turn the color too far down to enjoy the rest of the screen. Also, at times, I find HD to be too grainy, or to have too much movement in the solid darker color areas...some OTA channels have a screen-door-effect...some just look fuzzy. Am I being picky, is it the source, is it the TV?

For the most part HD looks fine OTA, and few programs have looked absolutely amazing. Newer DVDs via HDMI look fantastic (HD like), so perhaps any issues I have are from the source, and not the TV...though I would like to compare with others. I have SD Directv Tivo coming through on S-Video, and find that's the best connection for it, while Samsung Support recommended Coax...but it seemed to bleed too much for me. Some channels, like HBO, look as good as my old tube...others are okay. I was hoping SD would look better...and it has as I've adjusted the settings for the past week since I got the TV, but perhaps others have better settings for SD or HD. Other people on this forum BRAG about their SD quality on other LCDs or Plasmas... I can't brag about this TV yet when it comes to SD...but I'd like to...if it's a matter of settings.

Source button can miss a source now and then, but seems to work fine, and I've had little issue. HDMI can miss, but it hasn't taken me more than five-seconds to find any source.

Sound is "varied" but fine...as good as any TV I've heard...better after adjusting the EQ. When I watch a DVD, I put "on" the TruSurround setting. Any other source (so far), I turn TruSurround to "off"...all seems to work fine with the proper volume adjustment. Picture quality is more concerning to me.

Comcast HD comes today to install...will see how it looks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 458 Old 08-07-2006, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Made some adjustments to the TV picture quality settings. I'm now at:

Contrast: 78
Brightness: 74
Sharpness: 10
Color: 52
"Normal" color filter

HD looks amazing... Comcast installed...running HDMI to TV and really the picture is outstanding...even old movies on HBO look fantastic, surprisingly good. OTA local broadcasts and cable local look amazing as well...no real problems with HD on this TV. DVDs on this new picture setting, and some HD, look a little DARK in the shadows...not enough blending from color to shadow...that is bothering me, but if I turn up the brightness, this LCD is just so bright, and the colors dull...turning up the contrast and color helps, but the color starts to bleed. Hence, contrast and color are turned down a bit in my new settings and really seem to have helped. Still the dark shadows need to be adjusted. Perhaps that's what people are talking about when they talk about "black levels"...but when it comes to seeing a rich BLACK on this TV, it's no problem at all.

SD from the Directv Tivo looks just fine on S-Video...especially now with the new settings and just getting used to it. Watching National Geographic Channel in SD last night, and it looked just great, better than my old tube... In fact, I could zoom1, on the 16:9 picture (has bars in SD), and it filled the screen, and really held the image just fine, easy to watch and enjoyable.

So, better and better with this TV. Still have some "shadows" to figure out...but hopefully anyone with this TV will benefit from these posts...
post #3 of 458 Old 08-13-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, best setting yet, note bold changes below:

Contrast: 78
Brightness: 60
Sharpness: 10
Color: 52
"Cool1" color filter

Works best so far for Comcast HD including the HD movie channels, DVDs, OTA HD.
post #4 of 458 Old 12-18-2006, 04:37 PM

hows this TV working out for you now??? any new comments on HD ?SD?and the blacks? any new settings? thanks
post #5 of 458 Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM

I am also interested in hearing more on this TV. Lots of info in the forums on the 1080p models, but not so much on this 720p model. I have to make the choice of going with a 46" 720p (4692d) or the 40" 1080p (4095d) as I can get them for exactly the same price.

Any other owners have comments?
post #6 of 458 Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Yes, back with more info on my S4692d...

I still love it. Yes, the prices on the 1080p set came down below what I paid for this 720p, back in July, but I'm still very happy, and would probably do it all over again. My problem with 1080p today, and why this 720p could be the best TV on the market -- there is still question as to (at this size) whether your eyes can tell a difference, even with a true 1080p source. Only way you're getting that is with Blu-Ray or HD DVD. But, there's more: 1080i is still perhaps no "better looking" on a 1080p set compared to a 720p set. Twice now, I've had the chance to watch hours of different 1080i shows on the 720p 4692 and the 1080p 4695 Samsungs, with the TVs side-by-side. I stood around 5.5 feet back...and watched and watched. The only difference is being able to see the pixels in the TV or not. At about 2 feet away, I could see actual pixels in the 720p set, but not as easily in the 1080p. So, yes, at that point, the 1080p looked better. At 5.5 feet, I have not seen any difference in the two TVs. Yes, some shots, the 1080p looks "better"...but in some shots, the 720p looked "better"... It's mental, and I promise, I have eagle eyes, and I'm picky as ever, and I was "working" to find any differences. There was none that I could say were concrete at all.

So, right now, the only reason I'd go with the 1080p is for Blu-Ray, HD DVD, and PS3s... At 1080i, I could not see a difference at all. So, so far, it's one plus for the 1080p content (maybe), and a tie at 1080i. Here come all the votes for the 720p -- every other source of video is 720p or lower. Even if someone could convince me that 1080i looked better on 1080p sets, which I have no proof of, then they would have to say 720p looked better on 720p sets...and that's a lot of programming and #1 shows on TV (ABC, FOX, ESPN). I would also argue that SD TV and DVDs look better on a 720p compared to a 1080i.

So, all this being said, until the HD world is on the same page, and everyone is in 1080i or higher, I'm very happy with this 720p HDTV -- as Microsoft put it when designing the XBOX, so I've read, 720p is the "sweet spot" today, and I totally agree.

That being said, this is all NOT why I'd get the 46" over the 40" as was posted in the question above. I would get the 46" over the 40" because the 46" is so much bigger and awesome...it is totally impressive versus the 40... I've got the 46 and I want a 52 -- up to a certain size, bigger is better. At this point, depending on your room size, go for the 46" 720p, it's a no brainer to me. The picture will blow you away, and you'll have a more theater like experience, which will mean you'll probably like the picture better. As I've learned over the past six months, resolution is a factor in having a "great picture" but it's just one of many, and not at the top of the list. Under 50"...size is more important for viewing experience.

That being said, there is the issue of black levels, or black crush on the screen. You have to really play with the settings on these things to get the picture just right. The newer LCDs and Plasmas seem to just look better and better when it comes to blacks, so really, next year, there will be something better, and the year after that and so on... So, at this point, my picture looks absolutely amazing and blows everyone away with the following settings, adjusted over the past month for "perfection" watching HD:

Contrast: 79
Brightness: 68
Sharpness: 50
Color: 53
"Cool1" color filter

I brought up the brightness and the color to get more out of the shadows and it really has helped. I think I need to come up with a better setting for watching DVDs, but this does look great...just want to experiment.

As for the sharpness...there's a lot of debate on where to set it... I do believe, after testing and testing this TV, that "50" is where sharpness is actually NOT affecting the picture, meaning the setting is neutral, and not "0" where many people set it. Some will disagree, but setting it lower than 50 seems to artificially soften the picture, and over 50 seems to artificially enhance the image to the point of distortion on each end.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this TV is gorgeous at my house. I'm working taking some screen shots, but can't get the camera to shoot the screen clearly.... Will work on that.

Thanks, HDBREW
post #7 of 458 Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM

pictures would be great on HD and SD on this set
post #8 of 458 Old 12-19-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

SD pictures on this set are not the BEST, but better than others I've seen... And, with the right fine-tuning, they look fine...and I've gotten used to them. Digital SD channels are far better than analog SD. Not sure how the SD looks on the 1080p set...but would like to hear... It's a lot of pixels to make up...
post #9 of 458 Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM

well Im not really expecting great SD, but Im hoping its something Im able to watch
post #10 of 458 Old 12-20-2006, 05:19 AM

thank you for the follow up hdbrew. I was pretty much set in my mind to go with the 4692 over the 4095. The bigger size will just have a much bigger impact on viewing than having the extra rez. I will notice the bigger size EVERYTIME I watch the TV, but I may only notice the extra rez once in awhile. I do not plan on hooking up a PS3 nor do I plan on buying a blu ray or HDDVD player until the prices come done and a standard is set.

At the price its at right now, I don't think I can go wrong. Next year will I be able to purchase the 46" 1080p at the same price or possibly less, yes, but I need a TV now and can't wait another year.
post #11 of 458 Old 12-24-2006, 04:19 AM

I just ordered the LN-S4692D from Amazon for $1879 Delv.. I did the research and think it was a pretty good price.

I'll be back on this thread once I recieve the TV. Otherwise, this is a great starting point to help me tune the TV.

John
post #12 of 458 Old 12-24-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

jaxxx123:

Yes, you'll be able to watch SD...some channels will look better, some will look worse...after a while, you won't care... My only suggestion is get a digital SD source, such as Directv or Dish...or a cable system with all digital channels... Our Comcast doesn't hit digital till around channel 120, that's a big bummer...so I had to keep Directv for SD as well...Comcast for HD. I will say, Comcast's HD is awesome, with great channels, including the new MHD (MTV's HD)...beautiful. (As soon as D* gets my local channels in HD, I'll probably get their DVR and swith to HD on D*, if it doesn't look worse than Comcast. Another reason not to worry too much about 1080p from 1080i sources...Directv and Dish don't show true 1080i, as it's trimmed down about 500 lines on the vertical side...so yes, 1080i horizonal - maybe - but, around 1440 or so cut down, compressed, etc, whatever you want to call it...but point again, with 1080p, there are a lot of pixels to make up for. Plus, all sources of HD aren't perfect yet, so 1080p sometimes has to make up for poor sources, ain't fun to see.)

yankees17:
Yes, in a year, you'll be able to get the 52" LCD or 53" at the same price...if not for less! This is such a changing industry at this point, still fresh and new...if you think you're getting a set that you'll be 100% happy with for the next 7 years, I'd be surprised. So, get the "sweet spot" TV now, then when the prices go down and the HD sources go up, you may want to upgrade your TV, and you'll put this one in the bedroom. This one (or any) may look great in 7 years, but why spend $5000 now on something that might be "out" in 7 years. Get a great TV now, and see what the future holds. You will love the bigger picture! Again, you'll want the 53" soon enough! (Now around $3500...not so bad considering where the prices for awesome LCD's were before!)

John_Madison:
Great! You'll love the TV. Curious to know how your online shopping experience works out. Tuning it will make a big difference, for anyone who buys it new...first thing is to realize that the picture CAN be adjusted! If you just use the custom settings, you probably won't find an image that looks GREAT... Try the settings I posted for HD and go from there.

I am still working on an ideal setting for my HDMI DVD player. It is regular DVD being sent to the TV via an HDMI connection. I have noticed that DVDs look best on this TV when they are sent directly, in their original 480p signal, to the TV, and I let the TV upconvert to 720p. It's barely noticeable, but when I have the DVD upconvert first to 720p or 1080i, and send that to the TV, I don't think it looks as good...again it's barely noticeable. So, I have the HDMI for a "pure connection" only, but not for "upconverting"...I let the TV do that. So, that being said, for this TV, you don't necessarily need an HDMI upconverting DVD player. If you have component video output on your current DVD player, you could arguably get an equal picture from a DVD - component vs. HDMI. I figure, go with HDMI, but if you'd rather save the $100 on a new SD DVD player and put it toward a Blu-Ray or HD DVD, that could be good as well. I haven't seen Blu-Ray or HD DVD on this TV yet, but I'm hoping it's awesome. I will eventually upgrade, but waiting for the prices to go down and the war to end. Right now, I see Blu-Ray winning (though I was hoping for HD DVD because of the price-point, but no problem either way...just want to get a player for closer to $200!).

Keep us posted....
post #13 of 458 Old 12-24-2006, 01:25 PM

HDBrew
I havn't seen you say what you do with the back lite control. Do you use a diff setting for day and nite?

roy

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home---Navigator ver.-- 6.1.0_5
Desert Cities CA

post #14 of 458 Old 12-26-2006, 03:21 PM

I just got a new 46" Sammy RP-DLP w/ absolutely fantastic, better than expected PQ for all sources. But it makes unwanted & intolerable cooling fan noise just like an aquarium air-pump motor. I'm almost certainly going to need a 46" flat panel, the best candidate being the subject of this thread, the Sammy 4692.

None of the 4692's audio inputs will be used. All audio monitoring is through an external system.

For owners: Does the 4692 make any unusual, noteworthy, unwanted mechanical hum, buzzing, or other noise in use? Turn-on noises are irrelevant. I'm only interested in noises while images are displayed.

You sure can't hear anything in BB, CC or Costco!

Thanks for your time.
post #15 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 01:04 PM

Does the 4692 output digital audio that's being input from an HDMI input? This would be cool since my audio receiver could just use 1 digital audio input and let the display do the switching. However, it seems that most displays don't do this.

Thanks,
Kris
post #16 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

hdbrew

Thanks for starting this thread.

I have a ln-s4692d I got mine on 9/1/06

My setup is:

Old JVS S-VHS on S-Video
Sony NS75H up-converting DVD was on HDMI now on component
JVC progressive scan DVD was on component now retired
Scientific Atlantic 8000HD (charter cable) was on component now HDMI>DVI
PS2 on side composit now retied
PS3 on HDMI
PC on PC

All sound goes into my Sony receiver

I have spent almost every day "playing" with the adjustments and I am still not happy, next month I will have it calibrated. The problem is the green tint to the blacks after much research I have come to the conclusion that the gray scale if off. I can not fix this as it can only be done in the service menu.

I have "optimized" mine using DVE on both HDMI's, component, both S-Video's and one AV. I will share my settings when I get home. Please include what mode you are in, what source and what the back lighting is.

I will say that I love my TV and would buy it again in a second although I would look harder at the 95/96 models but factoring in price the 92 would still win and I have a blu-ray (1080p)

I have not had any switching problems it takes 2/4 sec (HDMI taking the longest). PQ in HD is unbelievable, SD is very good (as good or better than any other HDTV).
post #17 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbonspeakers View Post

I just got a new 46" Sammy RP-DLP w/ absolutely fantastic, better than expected PQ for all sources. But it makes unwanted & intolerable cooling fan noise just like an aquarium air-pump motor. I'm almost certainly going to need a 46" flat panel, the best candidate being the subject of this thread, the Sammy 4692.

None of the 4692's audio inputs will be used. All audio monitoring is through an external system.

For owners: Does the 4692 make any unusual, noteworthy, unwanted mechanical hum, buzzing, or other noise in use? Turn-on noises are irrelevant. I'm only interested in noises while images are displayed.

You sure can't hear anything in BB, CC or Costco!

Thanks for your time.

No noise, just the click when you turn it on and when you change inputs.
post #18 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung2112 View Post

Does the 4692 output digital audio that's being input from an HDMI input? This would be cool since my audio receiver could just use 1 digital audio input and let the display do the switching. However, it seems that most displays don't do this.

Thanks,
Kris

Yes it does (optical)
post #19 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx123 View Post

well Im not really expecting great SD, but Im hoping its something Im able to watch

The SD PQ is very good. I have tried OTA, Dcable on component and HDMI. For me HDMI gave the best PQ but all looked good.

When I first got the TV I did not have HD just Dcable and I thought the PQ was the best I have ever seen two days later my HDbox showed up after that all SD looks out of focus
post #20 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

A note about res for any one looking at this TV.

It is not a 720p TV nor is it a 1080i like most (really any) LCD panel or Plasma > 1080p

This one is a 768p TV what it good about this on is it keeps the correct aspect ratio 16:9 as it is 1366x768 unlike most that are 1280x768 and some are even 1024x768 the closer to 16:9 the less the distortion.

This TV does a very good job of deinterlacing and scaling the picture.
post #21 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDO CA View Post

HDBrew
I havn't seen you say what you do with the back lite control. Do you use a diff setting for day and nite?

roy

Hi,

Sorry I haven't gotten back with this soon...away for the holiday.

As for the backlight control -- I believe it's called "Energy Saving" on this TV, which is the only option I see for adjusting the backlight. I leave it on "Off" all of the time. That means, the set is on its FULL backlight all of the time for me. The other settings are Low - High in Energy Savings, meaning it starts to dim the set as you turn on these settings. Again, I put mine to off, so there is no dimming. I use the picture setting controls to adjust for this power TV. At first, out of the box, the "Dynamic" picture setting will almost hurt your eyes, but my settings seem to work for all room-light settings. I do not (though I've though about it) have different picture settings for day room lights and night room lights. For now, picture with the current settings looks great day or night, lights or none.

My current settings, which have not changed from my previous post of settings:

"Cool1" color filter
Energy Savings: Off

I will soon see if I need a new setting for DVDs (through HDMI) and I'm thinking now about getting either an HD DVD or Blu-Ray soon, so I will post my results when I get one.
post #22 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

tower101,

Great to see you onboard. I have not read all your posts as of yet (will read more later), but quickly, I am also considering Blu-Ray for this TV via a PS3, which I see you have. Can you tell us about the Picture Quality and using this Blu-Ray player on this set... Any more details would be great. How do you rate the Blu-Ray picture vs. HD cable, etc?
post #23 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbrew View Post

tower101,

Can you tell us about the Picture Quality and using this Blu-Ray player on this set... Any more details would be great. How do you rate the Blu-Ray picture vs. HD cable, etc?

Really depends on the movie some are better than others. I have a few HD movie channels (HBO,Showtime) Same movie it looks almost the same Blu-Ray or HDHBO with a small edge to Blu-Ray on PQ but sound is way better on Blu-Ray.

The PS3 on the TV looks awesome.

I own 12 Blu-Ray movies and rent some from Netflix.
post #24 of 458 Old 12-27-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quick note: I agree, as for noises, I hear no fan noises or untolerable noises coming from this TV...pretty much quiet. You will love the picture quality on this TV vs. the DLP version.
post #25 of 458 Old 12-30-2006, 05:01 AM

I just bought the 4692D. Hoping to learn more about the t.v. Thanks for this thread and info!

I have the SA3250HD digital cable box, outputting on component cables. I haven't done any adjustings yet. HD looks great, buy digital SD is only ok. Some SD channels are better, but some images (especially faces) seems to have "noise", or distorted blocks. Maybe this is because the screen is much bigger. On a regular CRT tube, I don't notice it.

I haven't noticed the green tint on blacks problem that was mentioned here.
post #26 of 458 Old 12-30-2006, 10:55 AM

I'd very much appreciate owners quantifying the level of mechanical noise emanating from the Sammy 4692.

Would appreciate having it turned on & off next to it in a quiet room.

Sorry I'm so anal about this but I'm hoping the 3rd TV is a charm (returned plasma for burn-in issues & terrible SD PQ, current RP going back for fan cooling noise).

Thanks all.
post #27 of 458 Old 12-30-2006, 11:53 AM

what mode do you guys use on this TV?
post #28 of 458 Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGoop View Post

I just bought the 4692D. Hoping to learn more about the t.v. Thanks for this thread and info!

I have the SA3250HD digital cable box, outputting on component cables. I haven't done any adjustings yet. HD looks great, buy digital SD is only ok. Some SD channels are better, but some images (especially faces) seems to have "noise", or distorted blocks. Maybe this is because the screen is much bigger. On a regular CRT tube, I don't notice it.

I haven't noticed the green tint on blacks problem that was mentioned here.

Great, I hope you love the TV! I too do not notice the green tint in the blacks...could be because I have my setting on "Cool1"... I did think I had that in the beginning...it could be a setting issue or the TV breaking in? Maybe not... Still, with my settings, all look beautiful. Again, still working on figuring out how to take good photos of the screen...anyone have any suggestions?

The SD on mine at times is "soft"...and some channels are better than others. Digital Satellite or Digital Cable is a must for SD on this TV. I will relist my settings below, but I will soon come up with new settings for SD and DVD.
post #29 of 458 Old 12-30-2006, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbonspeakers View Post

I'd very much appreciate owners quantifying the level of mechanical noise emanating from the Sammy 4692.

Would appreciate having it turned on & off next to it in a quiet room.

Sorry I'm so anal about this but I'm hoping the 3rd TV is a charm (returned plasma for burn-in issues & terrible SD PQ, current RP going back for fan cooling noise).

Thanks all.

I just had my wife mute the TV and turn it on and off while I stood next to it, listening for sounds. (Aren't we having fun on a Saturday night! Well, a movie is on tap...) I hear nothing coming from the TV as far as fan noise or sound...maybe a quick hiss on start-up, but nothing after that. I do hear my TiVo fan from below, and I can hear my computer fan going from my office (talk about loud), but nothing from the TV. (Plasmas are trouble here in Colorado, as they BUZZZZZZZZ because of our elevation...go to a Best Buy or Circuit City with 8 in an aisle...BUZZZZZZZZ so loud it's unreal. That buzz at home would drive me nuts.) Don't worry about being anal...best to make sure you know what you're buying.
post #30 of 458 Old 12-30-2006, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx123 View Post

what mode do you guys use on this TV?

I have the TV on Dynamic Picture Mode, but I have adjusted that mode in the picture menu. Dynamic setting from the factory will blow your eyes out.

My current settings (adjusted picture settings in menu), which have not changed from my previous post of settings:

"Cool1" color filter
Energy Savings: Off

I will soon see if I need a new setting for DVDs and SD.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page