Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Westinghouse LVM-42w2 LCD

does not support 1080p via its HDMI input.

I just came back from doing an extensive test at BEST BUY...

the 1080p (1920x1080) works via the VGA and DVI... I tested them both with my laptop and both LOOK AMAZING... !

however... when we hooked up the Samsung Blu-ray player, It would only support 1080i...

we then took the blu-ray player over to the 60inch Samsung DLP and it automatically switched to 1080p.

Apparently the HDMI input on the Westinghouse is version 1.2... and this is not capable of running true 1080p.. only HDMI v1.3 can do that.

according to the westinghouse website the monitor is capable of 1080p reproduction.

Needless to say, I didn't buy the TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever23
Apparently the HDMI input on the Westinghouse is version 1.2... and this is not capable of running true 1080p.. only HDMI v1.3 can do that.
This isn't true.

1080p works on all versions of HDMI:

http://www.hdblog.net/2006/02/09/update-on-hdmi-1080p/

1080p technically also works over component, as per Sony (they are indicating 1080p over component will be supported on the PS3), though few TV's will accept a 1080p signal on their YPbPr ports.
post #3 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
It's a myth that 1.3 is required for 1080p. More than likely it is simply that the HDMI transceiver part that they used doesn't support 1080p.

Too bad it turned out to be a disappointment. Hopefully you will find a display that meets your needs.
post #4 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

I just found this....

A handshake protocol built into the HDMI interface called Extended Display Identification Data, or EDID, enables the BD-P1000 to learn the connected TV's maximum resolution, at which point it automatically sets itself to that resolution and activates the HDMI output. This works well in theory, but we did occasionally find that as we switched about on our TV inputs or reset the player outputs in some way it would default to undesirable resolutions, such as 720p on our 1080p TV or even 480p at one point. Yikes! Fortunately, you can see your resolution setting clearly via the front panel display (or on the screen at 480p) and change resolution in the BD-P1000's setup menu as needed.

EDID also complicated use of the player's 1080p output option. We had four 1080p-compliant displays on hand, all of which should have worked nicely with this output. But this signal is available only via HDMI, and the EDID information must be communicated before the BD-P1000 will send any HDTV signal to any display via HDMI. If the Samsung doesn't think your TV can handle a particular HDTV format, it defaults to the next-best and grays out the higher-resolution format on its setup menu, preventing you from selecting it manually.

That's unfortunate for owners of the popular Westinghouse LVM-42w2, a 42-inch 1080p LCD panel that's said to accept 1080p signals. Because of an apparent lack of EDID compliance, the Samsung will send it only 1080i.
post #5 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
sounds like more of an issue with the bd-p1000
post #6 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM
L_T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Actually, the HDMI port on the Westinghouse should support 1080p per the spec (And backward compatibility). However, despite their claims and the fact that is should be able to. The part used on the Westy doesn't work as they claimed. So far Westinghouse has not owned up the problems associated with this set. Including the HDMI issue. If you read thru the Westinghouse thread there are many who are having this problem. Some who are not. Those that aren't must be like a few percent.

I am still waiting for their 3rd party field support to call me to come take a look at my set for the power lock up issues.

I just got a DVI to HDMI converter from Monoprice today and tested the HDMI. It works but has severe sparkling (flashin/hot pixels). This is being driven by a Geforce 6200 card. When it was being used on DVI 1 with 1080p. Everything looked beautiful.

I am losing faith in Westinghouse. Who cares if you put out a good looking well priced set if it doesn't work as supposed to. Also, suffers from other issues as well bad support.
post #7 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just found this....

A handshake protocol built into the HDMI interface called Extended Display Identification Data, or EDID, enables the BD-P1000 to learn the connected TV's maximum resolution, at which point it automatically sets itself to that resolution and activates the HDMI output. This works well in theory, but we did occasionally find that as we switched about on our TV inputs or reset the player outputs in some way it would default to undesirable resolutions, such as 720p on our 1080p TV or even 480p at one point. Yikes! Fortunately, you can see your resolution setting clearly via the front panel display (or on the screen at 480p) and change resolution in the BD-P1000's setup menu as needed.

EDID also complicated use of the player's 1080p output option. We had four 1080p-compliant displays on hand, all of which should have worked nicely with this output. But this signal is available only via HDMI, and the EDID information must be communicated before the BD-P1000 will send any HDTV signal to any display via HDMI. If the Samsung doesn't think your TV can handle a particular HDTV format, it defaults to the next-best and grays out the higher-resolution format on its setup menu, preventing you from selecting it manually.

That's unfortunate for owners of the popular Westinghouse LVM-42w2, a 42-inch 1080p LCD panel that's said to accept 1080p signals. Because of an apparent lack of EDID compliance, the Samsung will send it only 1080i.
There are more 1080p displays incompatible with Sammy BD player than ones that plays well with Sammy.
post #8 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T
If you read thru the Westinghouse thread there are many who are having this problem. Some who are not. Those that aren't must be like a few percent.
I absolutely agree that Westinghouse should address the issue - they advertised and sold this panel specifically w/ 1080p capability.

However, I also want to point out that IMHO it is a real mistake to use forum posts as a guide to what percentage of customers are having problems. Not only are the majority of total customers probably not even attempting 1080p on this display, but forums are notoriously skewed negative. In general, much fewer people post "mine works great" posts than who post "mine has a problem". Many people only find this forum because they have an issue or question.

That doesn't mean there isn't a problem - just that there's really no way to know to know what percentage of sets actually have the problem.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #9 of 35 Old 08-02-2006, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
for the people complaining about no 1080p with westinghouse 42, are you not getting a picture at all? or is it a picture but with "sparklies"?

to me there is a difference. if you have some sparking in the picture, i hope that westinghouse can provide a firmware update to resolve the issue(when set to 60hz). i've hooked mine
up to a pc set to 1920x1080 at 48hz and the picture is perfect.

the complaints of "no picture" seem to stem from the samsung combination. i've also heard that the samsung player doesn't like other of 1080p displays, not just the westinghouse.

we'll have to wait till other 1080p players are on the market to pin down if it's samsung or everyone else who's at fault.

i've had one lock up in two months of owning my westy. i still love it. wish me luck. :)

http://www.bosskong.com/avs/r011.jpg

pic of westy w/ hd dvd
post #10 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think HDMI is a complete disaster. Heaven forbid the damn interface would just freaking work. There are a lot of incompatabilities with HDMI and seems it's just going to get worse. Easiest thing to do is just use DVI.

While Westinhouse should be held accountable for the sprakling issues, 1080P over HDMI does work as many people have gotten pc's to work at that res. This is definately a samsung issue as they should at least give the option to override EDID so you can manually set it at 1080P
post #11 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 07:08 AM
L_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
I absolutely agree that Westinghouse should address the issue - they advertised and sold this panel specifically w/ 1080p capability.

However, I also want to point out that IMHO it is a real mistake to use forum posts as a guide to what percentage of customers are having problems. Not only are the majority of total customers probably not even attempting 1080p on this display, but forums are notoriously skewed negative. In general, much fewer people post "mine works great" posts than who post "mine has a problem". Many people only find this forum because they have an issue or question.

That doesn't mean there isn't a problem - just that there's really no way to know to know what percentage of sets actually have the problem.
The beligerant Westinghouse tech essentially said the same thing. Also, told me that the people on AVS don't know what they are talking about and like to nit pick about every little thing.

I myself have taken everything into consideration and have run my own tests to verify. With a few people saying they did not have sparkles. I decided to buy the adapter to test out the HDMI at 1080p instead of taking people's word for it.

I could complain about every little details but I knew what I was getting into after reading all the countless posts. For all the problems I am still impressed by the picture quality. I kept the set hoping that Westinghouse would make good on their promise to send a tech out to fix the lockup issue. However they aren't delivering on their promise.

As you've said even if it was one person having the problem. They should make every effort to quickly address the issue. Which they aren't doing. In the long run this will just hurt their reputation and leave a bad taste in the mouth of ones who got burned.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 07:12 AM
L_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
I think HDMI is a complete disaster. Heaven forbid the damn interface would just freaking work. There are a lot of incompatabilities with HDMI and seems it's just going to get worse. Easiest thing to do is just use DVI.

While Westinhouse should be held accountable for the sprakling issues, 1080P over HDMI does work as many people have gotten pc's to work at that res. This is definately a samsung issue as they should at least give the option to override EDID so you can manually set it at 1080P
I totally agree that the HDMI spec is a disaster. 1.1? 1.2? 1.3? Hey, how about putting out a universal standard that actually works instead about worrying about modifying the standard every year.

Westinghouse should be held accountable for defect of their set. However, as crappy as the Samsung Bluray player is. I don't believe Samsung holds as much blame since many people seem to have the 1080p over HDMI issues as I do. Which points to them using parts that either did not meet the specs or had really bad quality control.

I'd be happy enough if they came to fix my power lock up issue.
post #13 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 07:15 AM

This all has to do with the frequency of the 1080p signal. The Samsung Blu-Ray only outputs 1080p @ 60Hz.

Quote:
A handshake protocol built into the HDMI interface called Extended Display Identification Data, or EDID, enables the BD-P1000 to learn the connected TV's maximum resolution, at which point it automatically sets itself to that resolution and activates the HDMI output.
Not exactly, it determines the TV chassis maximum supported resolution/frequency, not the resolution of the panel. I have a feeling the Westinghouse might support 24Hz (and 48Hz as mentioned in above post). 60Hz is probably too much for the Westy to handle. It should work with the Pioneer and Sony Blu-Ray's coming out later this year as they are supposed to output 1080p at the Disc's native 24Hz.
post #14 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

well, will it work (1080p) with PS3?
post #15 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Ironically, the westinghouse is also one of the very few tvs on the market known to take a 1080p signal via component. It's undocumented, but confirmed to work though Audioholics. Buyers of the cheap PS3 model have found their tv.
post #16 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I have yet to test my Westy's HDMI, but I am too worried as is. This TV at this price is a great deal, even with its quirks. The PQ when callibrated is pretty darn sweet.

If this fails as a mega TV complex, it will sure make a good PC monitor anyway at a sub 2k price... or around there anyway.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #17 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 09:41 AM

Forget the HDMI issue the quality control on the TV is a mess. Banding is certainly an issue. I returned mine due to pretty significant banding. The price and technical description sure sounds good but I say it’s not worth it the product is substandard and they released it without fixing the problems.

There will certainly be a High return rate on this TV.
post #18 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
well, will it work (1080p) with PS3?
seriously, how the heck can people know for sure if PS3 is not even out?????
post #19 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 AM

The W3 1080p Westy has no problem with 1080p via the Sammy Blu Ray Player :)
post #20 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

what model is w3?

the fault of incompatibility seems to fall squarely on the samsung player since it is the one refusing to send a signal when the westy can clearly accept one, though it has some sparkling. sparklies is the fault of westinghouse.

maybe westinghouse is holding firm until bd players that do 24/48hz come to market and lay the issue to rest by pointing to the one lone culprit----samsung.
post #21 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 12:35 PM

Is using 1080p through HDMI that big of a deal? Whats wrong with DVI? I'm figuring if you have a device that can drive 1080p res then you would also have a receiver with digital audio.
post #22 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng
what model is w3?

the fault of incompatibility seems to fall squarely on the samsung player since it is the one refusing to send a signal when the westy can clearly accept one, though it has some sparkling. sparklies is the fault of westinghouse.

maybe westinghouse is holding firm until bd players that do 24/48hz come to market and lay the issue to rest by pointing to the one lone culprit----samsung.
LVM-37w3
post #23 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The topic is misleading.

The 42" set may have an issue but the 47" set works wonderful with a PC at 1080p, 1920x1080 of perfect 1:1 pixel mapping.

The new 47" Westinghouse supports 1080p on VGA, DVI 1, DVI 2 and HDMI.
HDMI has an issue with green clipping.

Running a PC into the 47" Westinghouse will leave you amazed.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here
post #24 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

so you are running 1080p on the 47 westy at 60hz on pc and samsung player with no problems at all?

if only pc are you at 60hz with no sparkling?

42 does a wonderful job at 1080p but at 48hz.

and yes i do agree that the title is very misleading. it should be changed

the westinghouse sets are a breakthrough in price/performance. these sets for those in the know, are a dream come true at a price that's impossible to beat.

some qc issues to deal with but what set doesn't have issues. weighing the pros/cons the westy's are giving the competition a black eye. :eek: :eek: :eek:
post #25 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng
so you are running 1080p on the 47 westy at 60hz on pc and samsung player with no problems at all?

if only pc are you at 60hz with no sparkling?

42 does a wonderful job at 1080p but at 48hz.

and yes i do agree that the title is very misleading. it should be changed

the westinghouse sets are a breakthrough in price/performance. these sets for those in the know, are a dream come true at a price that's impossible to beat.

some qc issues to deal with but what set doesn't have issues. weighing the pros/cons the westy's are giving the competition a black eye. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Yes! on the 47", with the PC, 1080p works with the VGA, both DVI and HDMI inputs. As I said the HDMI has a green clipping issue with the PC, other inputs look super. 1:1 1920x1080 60Hz.

I just picked up a Samsung HD960. Its works too at 1080p, but only using the DVI input with a HDMI-DVI cable. Have not tested fully, but all seems fine. On the HDMI input it resets to 480p as others have noted, but DVI is fine, Samsung reports 1080p and so does the Westy. Within the 960's menus there is a monitor type setting, try different ones to get the best black and white levels.

Sparkling was solved by using quality dual link DVI cables.

Everytime I use the 47" set, it amazes me, I only wish it was a 52" or bigger!
You know this is one of the 1st 1080p sets, and the Samsung one of the early 1080p DVD players. There are a few glitches, you need to tinker a bit, but thats expected.

Overall, this is great, and much better than the 1st gen DLP nightmares I had.
Still to this day, I dont think a DLP exists than can show the full desktop at even 720p with 1:1 pixel mapping and no overscan.

With the Westy 47" we have perfect 1:1 1920x1080 60Hz on multiple inputs, it runs SILENT and no bulbs or color wheels to replace!!!

Please change the thread title, I'd hate someone to miss out on this...

Test Your Display,
post #26 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 PM
L_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLT
Yes! on the 47", with the PC, 1080p works with the VGA, both DVI and HDMI inputs. As I said the HDMI has a green clipping issue with the PC, other inputs look super. 1:1 1920x1080 60Hz.

I just picked up a Samsung HD960. Its works too at 1080p, but only using the DVI input with a HDMI-DVI cable. Have not tested fully, but all seems fine. On the HDMI input it resets to 480p as others have noted, but DVI is fine, Samsung reports 1080p and so does the Westy. Within the 960's menus there is a monitor type setting, try different ones to get the best black and white levels.

Sparkling was solved by using quality dual link DVI cables.

Everytime I use the 47" set, it amazes me, I only wish it was a 52" or bigger!
You know this is one of the 1st 1080p sets, and the Samsung one of the early 1080p DVD players. There are a few glitches, you need to tinker a bit, but thats expected.

Overall, this is great, and much better than the 1st gen DLP nightmares I had.
Still to this day, I dont think a DLP exists than can show the full desktop at even 720p with 1:1 pixel mapping and no overscan.

With the Westy 47" we have perfect 1:1 1920x1080 60Hz on multiple inputs!!!

Please change the thread title, I'd hate someone to miss out on this...
Where did you get the DVI cable? Or what brand is it? I might get it to see if it takes care of my sparkle issue. Thanks.
post #27 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T
Where did you get the DVI cable? Or what brand is it? I might get it to see if it takes care of my sparkle issue. Thanks.
From Alberta Computer Cables, but I'm sure most dual link DVI cables would do.

Test Your Display,
post #28 of 35 Old 08-03-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T
Actually, the HDMI port on the Westinghouse should support 1080p per the spec (And backward compatibility). However, despite their claims and the fact that is should be able to. The part used on the Westy doesn't work as they claimed. So far Westinghouse has not owned up the problems associated with this set. Including the HDMI issue. If you read thru the Westinghouse thread there are many who are having this problem. Some who are not. Those that aren't must be like a few percent.

I am still waiting for their 3rd party field support to call me to come take a look at my set for the power lock up issues.

I just got a DVI to HDMI converter from Monoprice today and tested the HDMI. It works but has severe sparkling (flashin/hot pixels). This is being driven by a Geforce 6200 card. When it was being used on DVI 1 with 1080p. Everything looked beautiful.

I am losing faith in Westinghouse. Who cares if you put out a good looking well priced set if it doesn't work as supposed to. Also, suffers from other issues as well bad support.
I have found that sparkle can be blamed on the videocard. When I had my lapotp with an ATI X700 connected to my Sceptre 42" over HDMI, I get sparkles when playing back 1080p WMV HD movies. At first I thought it may be signal lose over a long DVI to DHMI cable so I got a 24AWG one with Ferrites from Monoprice and the problem persist. I then got a hold of another laptop with a ATI X1600 and low and behold, no more sparkles at all on any kind of video playback.
post #29 of 35 Old 08-04-2006, 05:13 AM

How long is the HDMI cable? It seems some displays are more sensitive to HDMI distance than others. It would be interesting to see if you still get sparkles running the signal through a 2 meter HDMI from monoprice.

...And, does a ferrite bead do anything for a digital cable? It filters out RF and EMI, but does that affect the 1's and 0's going through the cable?
post #30 of 35 Old 08-04-2006, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbw01
How long is the HDMI cable? It seems some displays are more sensitive to HDMI distance than others. It would be interesting to see if you still get sparkles running the signal through a 2 meter HDMI from monoprice.

...And, does a ferrite bead do anything for a digital cable? It filters out RF and EMI, but does that affect the 1's and 0's going through the cable?
I'm using a 5m or about 15' cable dual link DVI cable, have shorter ones that work fine too.

Test Your Display,
Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page