Choosing between RP DLP/LCD and Plasma/LCD + Pricing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my parents are looking for their first new TV in 10+ years. I've convinced them HD is the way to go (they watch plenty of TV). Initially I was just looking at RP DLP/LCD sets because price seemed to be much better, but now I've read some articles and seen with my own eyes that prices on LCD and plasma sets are coming down quite a bit.

-Their old set was a 32" CRT. They want something much lighter and not as deep - it seems that is the norm now anyways, with anything non-CRT? The depth difference between RP and and flat panels doesn't seem to be enough to make a difference to them.

-They don't have a huge living room, so I'm thinking about 37-42" would be best, 46" at the most.

-One thing that dad doesn't seem to think much of is bulb replacement. It seems the initial price difference could be made up by not having to replace a bulb every couple years on a flat panel display?

-The room faces the south, so the winter sun comes in pretty bad during the day. They do have some pretty good blinds that block most of the light. A lot of times they'll sit around reading the paper with a light on while watching TV in the evening. I'm not sure how much of a difference this makes for RP or flat panel displays?

-They definitely want something that can be set on a TV stand, which seems to be basically all of these.

-Decent audio would be nice. They have a nice little surround sound setup, but only like using it for movies.

-They don't like to upgrade often (obviously), so on the one hand that makes me think they should get something that's near top-of-the-line now, so it'll be "better" for longer. But at the same time, they've been w/o HD or a large display for this long, so even a cheap set would seem like a huge improvement to them.

-They have DTV and can pull in OTA HD. I'm guessing there's no difference in DTV quality between the different TV types, if I'm wrong let me know. ;)

-They watch HBO, Discovery Channel-type shows, sports, and a lot of ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX.

-I don't think they'd want to spend much over $1,500. Being the wonderful son I am, I'm going to buy the HD-DVR and any cables, as well as a bit towards the TV. I'd like to set a hard ceiling price for the TV itself at $1,800. I suppose the less the better, if there isn't too much of a compromise on quality.

What else should I/they consider in helping make their decision?

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on both type of display and specific models.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions, they're much appreciated. :)

(quick question - is it OK to crosspost this to the RP board?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick
-They don't like to upgrade often (obviously), so on the one hand that makes me think they should get something that's near top-of-the-line now, so it'll be "better" for longer. But at the same time, they've been w/o HD or a large display for this long, so even a cheap set would seem like a huge improvement to them.

-I don't think they'd want to spend much over $1,500. Being the wonderful son I am, I'm going to buy the HD-DVR and any cables, as well as a bit towards the TV. I'd like to set a hard ceiling price for the TV itself at $1,800. I suppose the less the better, if there isn't too much of a compromise on quality.

At $1500 for a flat panel plasma/lcd, you can probably eliminate the "near top-of-the-line" HDTVs. You can probably pick up a 42" Westinghouse plasma/lcd at that price or a EDTV panasonic. I don't have any experience with Westinghouse brand, but many here seem to be happy with it. The Panasonic EDTVs seem to get great reviews and many people on this forum love it.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM

The 42" Panasonic EDTV is excellent, and right in their price range. DVDs and high definition programming look excellent on it, and because it is an EDTV, regular definition programming looks very good as well. I had this set at one time and was happy with it, but it was too small for my needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjeff
The 42" Panasonic EDTV is excellent, and right in their price range. DVDs and high definition programming look excellent on it, and because it is an EDTV, regular definition programming looks very good as well. I had this set at one time and was happy with it, but it was too small for my needs.
Difference between HD and ED isn't going to be too noticeable?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 11:43 AM

We sit 11 feet from our TV. At that distance, I have been told most people cannot tell the difference between HD and ED, particularly on a 42" set. Actually my wife and I couldn't tell the difference even at 8 or 9 feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, I'll definitely look into the set. What model is it? TH-42PD60U?

How about one of the 1080p Westinghouse LCDs? Seems like a 37" could be had for about the same price as a 42" Panasonic EDTV, or a 42" for a couple hundred more. I'll check in on the threads specific to those sets.

From the limited I've read, it seems LCDs are more prone to motion-blur than plasmas? But LCDs might be better for a brighter room? Viewing angles on plasmas is a little better?

Then I have the whole RP vs. flat panel debate.

The life of LCDs and plasmas is supposed to be a moot point, right? But RP's is a couple hundred $ every couple years for a new bulb, in general?

Thanks again for the help.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
One thing to be aware of is that a 42" 16:9 is equivalent to a 34" 4:3 when viewing 4:3 material with sidebars. A 37" 16:9 is equivalent to a 30" 4:3 for SD.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-...tml#calculator

At $1500, I would probably stay with either a 42" ED, or rear projection. I wouldn't want to go smaller or be stuck in the low-end models.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=>
post #8 of 8 Old 08-03-2006, 06:34 PM

Yes, the 42PD60U. You can also look at the 42PX60U, which is the HD version, but it is a few bills more.

Closed Thread LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page