Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3391 of 3416 Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently experiencing a major issue with my screen in that after a very short time of the TV being turned on, the appearance of 6 evenly sized opaque horizontal bars appear. The TV was purchased in June 2007 and this problem was inherent from the onset. The TV was repaired under warranty and the technician replaced an entire board of some type. The fix was very short term as the lines appeared only after a few months of usage. The TV is no longer under warranty. Is anyone familiar with this issue? Any recommendations on how this can be fixed inexpensively? If this board would need to be replaced again, any idea the fees associated with this repair? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3416 Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 AM

I am currently trying to upgrade from my 40" XBR2 and was looking for help. My friend wants to purchase it, but I do not know what would be a fair asking price. I still have the 4-year warranty on it and got it calibrated. Besides that, it was one of the first panels to come out and did not succumb to the notorious uneven backlight issue. Since owning it, I have always had the TV hooked up to a power center (Monster HTS 3600/ Panamax 5400-PM). I was thinking $1000 would be considered fair due to the fact that he can always get the panel replaced in the future if something goes wrong, with an even better TV. Let me know what you guys think.
post #3393 of 3416 Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 AM

I have had a Sony XBR2 for several years now and have been very happy with it. It's a 46" size. For the last month or two I am now seeing a bright green vertical bar along the right edge of the viewable area. This only seems to occur in HD programming coming from my Motorola cable box, provided by Cox. For SD programming from the box, or DVD playback from a player the line is not present. I do know that the DVD comes in via a different connection though, and I know some settings or electronics in the TV are input specific.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what might be causing this? I am hoping it's either an adjustment (like "centering") or that the cable box has a problem, but not real sure how to diagnose, correct or prove this. One approach is swapping out the cable box I guess, but before I went that route thought I'd see what the braintrust here thought.

Below is a simulation of what I am seeing:

~gs2gf
post #3394 of 3416 Old 07-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post

I have had a Sony XBR2 for several years now and have been very happy with it. It's a 46" size. For the last month or two I am now seeing a bright green vertical bar along the right edge of the viewable area. This only seems to occur in HD programming coming from my Motorola cable box, provided by Cox. For SD programming from the box, or DVD playback from a player the line is not present. I do know that the DVD comes in via a different connection though, and I know some settings or electronics in the TV are input specific.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what might be causing this? I am hoping it's either an adjustment (like "centering") or that the cable box has a problem, but not real sure how to diagnose, correct or prove this. One approach is swapping out the cable box I guess, but before I went that route thought I'd see what the braintrust here thought.

It's not a problem with your TV. It's caused by the latest software release for the Motorola HD PVR's. I also have a Sony KDL-46XBR2 and get the same green line with my Shaw Motorola HD PVR. The only fix for now is to not use Full Pixel mode.
post #3395 of 3416 Old 07-02-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post

Below is a simulation of what I am seeing:

~gs2gf

FYI, this was resolved. The problem seems to be a firmware update in the Motorola cable box. Changing the TV setting from "full pixel mode" to "normal mode" removes the problem. Not perfect, but a decent work around.

~gs2gf
post #3396 of 3416 Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Uhh yeah that's what the person in post #3394 said.

huh?
post #3397 of 3416 Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbylund View Post

Remember that the highest resolution[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG] to set using the VGA input is 1360x768 so that should be what you set your PC to.

While viewing the VGA image pressing MENU gives you image settings to look att, you may have to change something.

Can computers even be set to this res without a decent monitor? Pretty large resolution
post #3398 of 3416 Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 PM

i've had my xbr2 for a few years now. i just noticed a discolored horizontal line that stretches accross the entire screen and moves from the bottom to the top. i think it has to do with the screen refreshing, but i'm not 100% sure. is there some way to fix this? or is this a sign that the tv is starting to fail?
post #3399 of 3416 Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Hi folks, this might have been touched on earlier, but i haven't looked threw all posts. I have the Directv HD DVR and the Sony XBR2 now I know its a 1080P but when I try to make the connection between the 2 the screen says not compatable, check the output device.
Please tell me there is a fix for this?? Oh and yes, i'm using HDMI cables. There is alot of new 1080P content to record from Directv, and I would love to take full advantage of this. thanks for any advice in advance
post #3400 of 3416 Old 09-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB2009 View Post

Hi folks, this might have been touched on earlier, but i haven't looked threw all posts. I have the Directv HD DVR and the Sony XBR2 now I know its a 1080P but when I try to make the connection between the 2 the screen says not compatable, check the output device.
Please tell me there is a fix for this?? Oh and yes, i'm using HDMI cables. There is alot of new 1080P content to record from Directv, and I would love to take full advantage of this. thanks for any advice in advance

Currently Directv only outputs in 1080p/24fps and your display is 1080p/60fps.

post #3401 of 3416 Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG526 View Post

Currently Directv only outputs in 1080p/24fps and your display is 1080p/60fps.

hey, thanks for your reply. So what your saying is Directv, hasnt caught up to the full potential of the Sony? Also, if DTV is only at 24fps, shouldn't it still work since the TV can handle more? I can understand if it was the other way around. I guess I'm just bulls**t about this not working.
post #3402 of 3416 Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB2009 View Post

hey, thanks for your reply. So what your saying is Directv, hasnt caught up to the full potential of the Sony? Also, if DTV is only at 24fps, shouldn't it still work since the TV can handle more? I can understand if it was the other way around. I guess I'm just bulls**t about this not working.

Actually it is the other way around - the Sony not being able to do 24fps is because these models came out prior to that being standard... It sucks - trust me, I know as I've spent hours on the phone with Sony tech support...

HD Junkie
post #3403 of 3416 Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM

Anyone know how long these flatpannels should last? Mine is going on 3 years old. It works great, just want to know when to expect to invest in something new.

huh?
post #3404 of 3416 Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRANGER619 View Post

Anyone know how long these flatpannels should last? Mine is going on 3 years old. It works great, just want to know when to expect to invest in something new.

Ironically just after you posted this question, my panel went out. The right 12 inches were super bright and the rest of the panel very dark. Fortunately we had the Best Buy protection plan and they replaced the panel today. They left the invoice from Sony and the damn replacement panel was charged at $6,000 bucks to them. I would have thought a more prudent move would be for them to give me a new set. Hell, I don't think Best Buy even sells a TV that expensive...

HD Junkie
post #3405 of 3416 Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRANGER619 View Post

Haha, let me guess, it's more like you are looking for an excuse to get a new set, and are counting the days for yours to go out. Right???

Anyway, aside from the occasional lemons, it should last well past a few years, depending on your use. I think most people who get the upgrade itch just end up selling their old sets on craigslist or moving them to other rooms.
post #3406 of 3416 Old 10-17-2009, 03:55 PM

I can't find "advanced settings" on my xbr2. Where are they?

Also, I see there's a cinemotion option that is shaded grey, and not selectable. What's up with that?

anyone?
post #3407 of 3416 Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneo View Post

I can't find "advanced settings" on my xbr2. Where are they?

Also, I see there's a cinemotion option that is shaded grey, and not selectable. What's up with that?

anyone?

The advanced settings is the last thing listed in the picture menu. Cinemotion can only be used on things like SDTV and 480i signals(maybe 480p but I never used this setting).
post #3408 of 3416 Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Purchased Sony KDL 46 XBR9 from US Appliances... they have a 48 hour open box and inspect merchandise... anyway plugged TV in got significant "clouding" and what i notice now is a crease like defect in center of LCD... did not notice this initially as i could not see it unless at an angle with picture turned off. Very subtle, but has to have been from shipping. Sony is recommending service as it is under warranty (they do not know about screen crease... as i have just found it)... US appliance i anticipate will not discuss the issue as it is past their 48 hour disclaimer... have 30 day exchange with 15% restock fee. ANy suggestions... will Sony replace TV themselves if not fixable even though purchased through US appliances

Thanks guys
post #3409 of 3416 Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Azz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post

You are correct. Here are the links to Sony's service manuals that verify you findings:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL52XBR3_sm.pdf

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL46XBR2_sm.pdf

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL46XBR3_sm.pdf

Sorry to drag up an old thread though having scoured the net for the last day I had to push the help button..

I need to do a Picture Position adjustment 2 pixels to the right on a KDL-40X2000/XBR2 and have scoured the service menu for the apropriate key and havent been able to find anything that comes close to the setting.

Can someone please help me out with a copy of the service manual for this set (I'd say screen size doesnt matter) or share with me the key/item and it's location?

Thanks in advance for any help and may you all have a safe and happy festive season.

Aaron
post #3410 of 3416 Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Sorry to bring this back up

I have the Sony KDL 46X3100 and I am getting some fan noise from it

How can this be fixed? Anyone know or experienced this? I know it does state in the manual that its meant to be there but it should not be this loud

Hope someone can help me out
post #3411 of 3416 Old 08-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This just started. Is this an easy fix? Any info appreciated!
LL
post #3412 of 3416 Old 02-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiOS ConVert View Post

Actually it is the other way around - the Sony not being able to do 24fps is because these models came out prior to that being standard... It sucks - trust me, I know as I've spent hours on the phone with Sony tech support...

Been wondering about this for 6 years. Mine won't even display 1080p movies from DTV ppv anymore even though the 1080p tick box is checked in the DTV Resolution settings. The interesting thing is prior to getting the new DTV Genie my old DVR would not allow me to check the 1080p tick box yet I could watch 1080p ppv movies. Now I have the exact opposite issue. Maddening!
post #3413 of 3416 Old 06-16-2013, 10:53 PM

had my 46' xbr2 since launch and had 0 problems with it. use it daily as well
post #3414 of 3416 Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
KDL46XBR2--This is now my secondary tv (primary is an NX810). The XBR2 still works great. Here is my question---it appears (from using test discs) that the xvYCC circuit/software is activated in this set. I would like to turn this option off. I've searched the menus on the tv and cannot find any setting to deactivate this. I've searched these forums (and the web) and cannot find anything about this for this model tv. Does anybody have any info about this? Any way to turn this off? Is there a way in the service menu to turn this off? If so, how would I access the service menu? Thanks for any help on this topic.
post #3415 of 3416 Old 05-06-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HELP. I have KDL-46XBR3 that's has been promoted to the guest bedroom.

I currently have a DirectTV media server, connected to it via an HDMI cable. I've purchased a Sonos Soundbar for better sound quality etc. Plus I have other Sonos components and am quite happy with them.

Anyways connect the digital out (optical) via toslink cable to the input on the Sonos Soundbar, then worked my way thru the setup. The setup screen indicated it did not detect a signal coming from the tv.

But according to the manual, the Digital out (optical) is only available for digital channels.

Time to return the Sonos Soundbar?

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #3416 of 3416 Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_max View Post
This just started. Is this an easy fix? Any info appreciated!
It's very common with the xbr2-4 and sony offers zero support. In fact they know it is an issue and fall back on it's an older tv and how long do you really expect our tv's to last. The sony forums have a long thread about this issue. http://community.sony.com/t5/Televis...ht/false#M5944
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page