Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubro View Post

Any update on this from any harmony owners? Has anyone been able to get harmony to put these codes in? If not I will reach out to them. This cycling through inputs is a pain.

no updates as of yet for input 8 & 9. you really dont have to cycle through all of the inputs, just hit menu, input selection, click video 8 or 9, and presto!!!

You are damaging my calm... - Jayne Cobb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 04:37 PM

Can the owners here post your rationale for choosing these 1080p LCDs over Sony's 1080p SXRD line?

I see pro's and con's for them both, and I'm curious what led you guys to the LCD.
post #363 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesper View Post

Can the owners here post your rationale for choosing these 1080p LCDs over Sony's 1080p SXRD line?

I see pro's and con's for them both, and I'm curious what led you guys to the LCD.

My biggest reason is it's wall mountable (no room for a rear projection), secondly I just can't stand a rear projection televsion. I hate the fact that if you move off center the picture starts to wash out, drives me nuts.

Who's your daddy?
post #364 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:

To get any screen over 36" in my room I had to go with a wall mountable set and I have a fairly well sunlit room during the day so I needed to minimize screen glare.

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #365 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

My biggest reason is it's wall mountable (no room for a rear projection), secondly I just can't stand a rear projection televsion. I hate the fact that if you move off center the picture starts to wash out, drives me nuts.

plus its a little too big and bulky for my apt. too heavy to carry up 3 flights of stairs

You are damaging my calm... - Jayne Cobb
post #366 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 PM

I've had my XBR2 for a week... finally got around to running the Laptop dead pixel test utility via VGA input... I found about 6 dead pixels all over the screen... the brightest is red and dead center. Is this too few to be concerned about? If I were to exchange it are the odds that I would get a worse set the next time?
post #367 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 PM

Does anybody else have this?

I use HDMI for video only-- I have audio going to my AVR via Optical.
When I play HD content, either from Satellite box or HDDVD, I get a message on the Panel (it has the same visual theme as the menu) that says there's an unrecognized audio signal...
It goes off after a few seconds, but it's pretty annoying-- Does anybody know how to disable this warning? I've tried everything (the speaker is off).
Also, has anybody figured out how to "skip" the Internal Tuner input?

I'll have had this set 2 weeks tomorrow, I'm still loving it.
post #368 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscozz View Post

I've had my XBR2 for a week... finally got around to running the Laptop dead pixel test utility via VGA input... I found about 6 dead pixels all over the screen... the brightest is red and dead center. Is this too few to be concerned about? If I were to exchange it are the odds that I would get a worse set the next time?

Here is an interesting question: I bought my panel at Circuit City and they kept pushing the extended warranty at a price of $650 for 3 years. The manager said that it differs by replacing a panel with a gift card of the purchase price if just ONE pixel is dead/stuck. Now the question: Would it be wrong to do a pixel test now find a couple of dead pixles, get the warranty and wait unitl the end of the 3 years to file a claim? Then you could use the proceeds to get a new panel? Not judging the morality of this, what do you think? BTW, I did a pixel test and found only1 stuck pixel only visible on blue screen in the upper right corner (completely unnoticable from 3 feet) pretty amazing considering the amount of pixels on the 46".

Who's your daddy?
post #369 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 PM

I just did the dead pixel test and think I've got one. But, I can only see it with the white and green colors. Black, red, yellow and blue don't show it. Am I seeing things? It's in the same place; left of dead center about five inches from the edge of the screen on my 46XBR2.

I hardly notice it, so it does not bother me. Are dead pixels really noticeable? Could this be a dirt spot on my screen?

Oh, I haven't cleaned it yet, and it's two weeks plus two days old. What do you guys use to clean your screens?
post #370 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hero View Post

\\
Oh, I haven't cleaned it yet, and it's two weeks plus two days old. What do you guys use to clean your screens?

Purified Glacial holy water from the polar ice capped blessed by the pope.

Who's your daddy?
post #371 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 PM

My dead pixels are flat out dead... a few are visible on all colors except red... and I can see a few of them at 2-3 feet, since I know where to look. Any advice on whether I should swap it out or whether it may just be worse on the next one...
post #372 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Everyone+AndrewScott

i'd just like to say that i think i saw what andrewscott is talking about with respect to motion artifacts / large macroblocking.

i was in BB looking at their HD loop on the 46XBR2. I was watching the Dr. "House" segment.

every time there was a scene change, as in the camera switched between three people talking, I saw a SPLIT second of this effect. Maybe 1 or 2 frames. inbetween sorta, the image change, the screen would show large compression blocks, like a pixelated censored image. now i have no idea if that was the tv or the compression. i am leaning towards compression becasue from encoding movies myself, i know sharp frame changes are tough on compression. in any event i saw it, i had to look REAL hard for it, and it was only for a split second.

is this what you've all been seeing? (for thoes who see it)

-mijitiro
post #373 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 08:42 PM

Quote:

My dead pixels are flat out dead... a few are visible on all colors except red... and I can see a few of them at 2-3 feet, since I know where to look. Any advice on whether I should swap it out or whether it may just be worse on the next one...

Although most sets do not have bad pixels, they are not at all uncommon. So, if the pixels really bug you (now you know they exist), I would seriously consider swapping it for another XBR2.

Just one thing though - some stores/companies have pixel policies. If you tell them the problem is bad pixels, they will ask you how many? If it is under a certain number, they will resist you to the death.

The moral of this story is that if you want to return a set with bad pixels, it is better to have a more subjective reason to exchange it, like maybe it smells bad or something like that...

Never Fully Here
post #374 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

mijitiro dont look at Best buy in house feed. It shows macroblocking on all the sets. Its the source itself. what was alarming about Andrewscott's report was the xbox comment.

in store demo loops esp the best buy one is pretty much flawed and has mpg artifacts.

best way to fully judge this would be HDdvd source or blueray source.
post #375 of 3415 Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:

This is why I'm afraid to check-- I put up test images Full Screen Red, Blue, and Green-- But I didn't see any, but I decided that I didn't want to get too involved-- If they're there and I can't see them, I don't think I want to know...

post #376 of 3415 Old 08-29-2006, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hero View Post

I just did the dead pixel test and think I've got one. But, I can only see it with the white and green colors. Black, red, yellow and blue don't show it. Am I seeing things? It's in the same place; left of dead center about five inches from the edge of the screen on my 46XBR2.

I hardly notice it, so it does not bother me. Are dead pixels really noticeable? Could this be a dirt spot on my screen?

I have the Monster screen cleaner kit...just had a couple of fingerprints to remove and it works great. I have been using this cleaner on my 3 computer LCD screens for some time and it works geat.

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #377 of 3415 Old 08-29-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

Here is an interesting question: I bought my panel at Circuit City and they kept pushing the extended warranty at a price of $650 for 3 years. The manager said that it differs by replacing a panel with a gift card of the purchase price if just ONE pixel is dead/stuck. Now the question: Would it be wrong to do a pixel test now find a couple of dead pixles, get the warranty and wait unitl the end of the 3 years to file a claim? Then you could use the proceeds to get a new panel? Not judging the morality of this, what do you think? BTW, I did a pixel test and found only1 stuck pixel only visible on blue screen in the upper right corner (completely unnoticable from 3 feet) pretty amazing considering the amount of pixels on the 46".

I don't think it's wrong to be a smart consumer. What you should do is read the fine print, those store managers' compensation is tied to how many extended warranties they sell. So what they tell you may vary dramatically from the actual terms of the warranty. I'm almost 100% sure that it's not as simple as saying there is one dead pixel and them handing over a $4,000+ giftcard. I'm pretty sure that CC also has the lemon policy, where they will try to fix it 3 times, then give you the credit.

Personally, I would have just bought Sonystyle's extended warranty, which is about 1/3 the price of that CC's warranty, and then bought the next best thing out in 4-5 years.
post #378 of 3415 Old 08-29-2006, 08:19 AM

Just got mine last night... 40inch xbr2 waiting on DTV to come drop off new hr10-250 reciever.... Can't wait... Thank you guys for all the help, it has been wonderfull reading..
post #379 of 3415 Old 08-29-2006, 08:46 AM

When I change channels the picture is bright for a second then uniformly shifts to being darker, is this a problem with the television or normal/result of a certain setting?
post #380 of 3415 Old 08-29-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theviceman View Post

When I change channels the picture is bright for a second then uniformly shifts to being darker, is this a problem with the television or normal/result of a certain setting?

Is the Light Sensor on? Are you in Custom settings for picture? If so, list your settings.
post #381 of 3415 Old 08-29-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theviceman View Post

Sounds like either the Automatic Contrast Enhancement (in advanced settings under picture menu) or the light sensor... I keep both turned to off.
post #382 of 3415 Old 08-29-2006, 03:16 PM

The review for the 40" XBR 2 is up at cnet...if memory serves me correctly, it's the highest rated direct view LCD yet!

Go check out the review, I'd love to hear some of your input on it as well....I've had mine for a couple weeks now, and I am still in awe of what this thing is cabable of.

To anyone worrying about SD programming, I picked up the 24 guage DVI-HDMI cord at monoprice and it has really helped with the SD pq, definitely a very acceptable picture with these cables at an unbelievable price
post #383 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 06:43 AM

Repost from the other XBR forum.
Guys check this out. Anyone think the DRC-MF 2.5 would fix some of our SD issues? I dont know just asking. We have the 2.5 I think most of us think it isnt working like the japanese website shows below. Also why are they saying that they are coming out in Sept and Oct(52") in Japan. I thought they already had our TV? I know Europe had it before us.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ent...mojo-197575.php

Go look at the Sony page. http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/...00608/06-0830B/
FYI you can translate the page through babelfish

It is Japanese but look at the before and after pictuer of the plants. Anyone elses SD look like the before picture? Mine does a lot of the times. Could there be an issue with the DRC chip?
post #384 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 07:30 AM

Anyone using the Live Color setting?
post #385 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubro View Post

Go look at the Sony page. http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/...00608/06-0830B/
FYI you can translate the page through babelfish

It is Japanese but look at the before and after pictuer of the plants. Anyone elses SD look like the before picture? Mine does a lot of the times. Could there be an issue with the DRC chip?

Link seems no good.
post #386 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Link seems no good.

Try this one:

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/P...0608/06-0830B/
post #387 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 01:14 PM

anyone use comcast SD. how does xbr 2 and 3 handle this feed. I am ready to pull trigger on kdl40-xbr2 but want opinions. i will get sd with HD package.
post #388 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitt View Post

anyone use comcast SD. how does xbr 2 and 3 handle this feed. I am ready to pull trigger on kdl40-xbr2 but want opinions. i will get sd with HD package.

Re-post:

I have Comcast thru HTPC with TV Wonder Elite, and it looks fine actually - much better than connecting the cable directly to the set.

Hope SD will improve a bit once I upgrade to TV Wonder 650. But the recent recall by ATI means I will have to wait longer.
post #389 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateriaRedux View Post

Re-post:

I have Comcast thru HTPC with TV Wonder Elite, and it looks fine actually - much better than connecting the cable directly to the set.

Hope SD will improve a bit once I upgrade to TV Wonder 650. But the recent recall by ATI means I will have to wait longer.

does your wonder elite card get HD. Also, do you have to leave computer on while using tv?
post #390 of 3415 Old 08-30-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Mule View Post

Has any one experienced problems with the XBR2 HDMI inputs. I have a cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) hooked up using one of the 3 HDMI inputs, however when browsing the channels I loose signal. Picture turns nothing but snowy static. This happens when the source goes from a 480i to a 720p or 1080i signal. The picture will be loss also when changing the inputs say from input 6(xbox) to input 3(hdmi cable-box). I do not experience these problems when the cable box is connected through the HD Component cables. The cable box is being supplied by Time Warner. Is the Display defective or the HDMI output on the cable box flawed? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm having this same problem too... Same situation with the 8300HD. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen from time to time... Any thoughts?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page