Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3416 Old 09-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWeinz View Post

When I was first playing with the settings trying to get the cable box to work, it started flickering between black and displaying any sound/picture every second. Leaving the TV on, I yanked power from the cable box, plugged it in, and haven't seen the problem since... but since you've been going through a few, maybe yours is attributed to the tv's input being bad? Try a different port - there are 3?

If it happens with consistent repeatability, why not try to isolate of resolution. Make sure the box is outputting the channels native resolution (go to DiscoveryHD and hit display on the remote - should show 1080i) and go to ABC/ESPN/Fox and see if it says 720p. If not, make sure the box settings (Settings + A on the DVR remote) are outputting all the resolutions (assuming you have a newer box based on the replacements) ... Try forcing everything to 720 and everything to 1080 ... this should eliminate the box trying to decide what to send ... then the TV shouldn't have a chance at seeing mixed cables ... if there are still problems, try a different HDMI cable ... what if a damaged cable is causing the handshake to be lost? (this is a long shot)

I have been through several settings on each cable box setting the output to 1080i, 480i or 1080i only, or 480i, 720p, 1080i. All yielding the same problems. I have tried the Utra 800 HDMI cable and traded it for the HMDI X cable from tweeter. No luck. I dig the tv, just worried. I've experienced the black fickering problem 3 times now. Like you, I turned it off and started back and it was a while before I saw it again. This past time it happened I let it run. With no resolve I rebooted everything. This time in the different order. I then discovered that when I booted the TV before the cable box I recieved a dialog that stated the TV is not compatibile with HDCP and needed to be hooked up through the component inputs. BAhh..where would I hook up my WII or my 360 .
Thanks for all your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3416 Old 09-02-2006, 07:24 PM

[quote=luna5]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher4Scuba View Post

Thank you Shinraven - I will get the Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF31. I know Monster stuff is really overpriced - sales guy told me I should not even hook the TV up without one and since I'm new to LCD tecnology - I didn't want to ruin anything.

I picked up an APC H10 up for $149.98 from CompUsa last week:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...m?base_sku=H10

Has voltage regulation, noise filtering and surge suppression and I know that APC has a very good reputation for quality products.

ive read people who leave the NR on on their xbr2/3 have blurred images sometimes. WIll using one of these systems allow u to leave NR off and have better image quality?
post #453 of 3416 Old 09-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

OK>
XBR3 / 18-Month Warranty can be downloaded from Sony Style at the product info screen.

I had a chance to see an XBR2 , showing Discovery HD , and I was not impressed
of course I`m sure that had to do with so many tv`s hooked up to the same line at CC.

I need to know about the XBR3 ?????
I know that it`s gloss black , so what else , black remote ?? or the same as the XBR2 ??
Also does it have a swivel base ????

Many thanks to all that help
Gary

dude xbr2 and xbr3 are same tv in every respect with minor diffs
different remote
obviously diff color
and warranty on xbr3 is 6 months more.
so if you dont like xbr2, no way to like xbr3 ok
post #454 of 3416 Old 09-02-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitt View Post

dude xbr2 and xbr3 are same tv in every respect with minor diffs
different remote
obviously diff color
and warranty on xbr3 is 6 months more.
so if you dont like xbr2, no way to like xbr3 ok

Nope, warranty is 12 months on the XBR3 as well. I called Sony customer service and the lady there said it was 12 months in her system too. She didn't seem to care that the Sony website said otherwise so I made her write in her system that the website is incorrect and needs to be fixed.
post #455 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 03:46 AM

[quote=amitt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna5 View Post

ive read people who leave the NR on on their xbr2/3 have blurred images sometimes. WIll using one of these systems allow u to leave NR off and have better image quality?

Only if your power line is picking up some kind of interference that is actually affecting the picture without a filter. I wouldn't count on any kind of power filter producing a better picture using a good source of power which I would guess that 99.9% of us have. I needed a good surge supressor anyway and at the price I paid for the APC I consider the filtering and AVR to be a bonus but certainly not necessary.

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #456 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total_Mule View Post

I have been through several settings on each cable box setting the output to 1080i, 480i or 1080i only, or 480i, 720p, 1080i. All yielding the same problems. I have tried the Utra 800 HDMI cable and traded it for the HMDI X cable from tweeter. No luck. I dig the tv, just worried. I've experienced the black fickering problem 3 times now. Like you, I turned it off and started back and it was a while before I saw it again. This past time it happened I let it run. With no resolve I rebooted everything. This time in the different order. I then discovered that when I booted the TV before the cable box I recieved a dialog that stated the TV is not compatibile with HDCP and needed to be hooked up through the component inputs. BAhh..where would I hook up my WII or my 360 .
Thanks for all your input.

Have you had the cable company send a tech and check out the problem? I had a cable box problem and when they brought a replacement the tech set it up and checked out the picture on the TV, he was very HD knowledgable which surprised me. They should know if the ports on the box are active and be able to help you get connected up properly with the equipment they supply. At least you'll know at that point if the cable company's equipment is working correctly before you return the set. I get occasional "dropouts" on my cable co's HD and "premium" channels and where the picture blanks out for a split second but I know it's the cable co's problem because I have the optical audio out from my STB (SA3250HD) directly connected to the optical in on my DD surround receiver and the sound drops out at the same time.

"Future"
post #457 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 06:59 AM

Could you pleas report back to the list what you hear from Sony?

I have a similar issue. Every once and a while the TV flickers. It is not terribly annoying but if there is an easy firmware fix that would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gad Zookz View Post

Thanks.

We will have to see if Sony Central Command is aware of any XBR2 firmware issues when they call be back on Sunday.

post #458 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 08:21 AM
kdk

Couple questions from a newbie:
I requested an HDMI capable HD DVR box for my XBR2. Got Motorola 6412 from Time Warner. Its too deep for my stand!!! I noticed most of you have Scientific Atlantla 8300HD, could somebody please measure depth??? Plus I was wondering if its a better box since all you experts have them.
I have a sony VAIO AR170G laptop which has a HDMI port, tried to connect HDMI to HDMI got an error message "cannot support signal"
Plus, is the RGB supplied VGA or SVGA? Is there a difference? Plus, can the adio part of the RGB PC input accept optical audio?
I am getting wall mount from Magnolia, currently have HDMI connected to cable box, the second one will be for upconverting DVD, but I want to connect PS3 by HMDI later, without using side port for aesthetic reasons. Will I even need the upconverting player later after I get the PS3? (Wish they had more HDMI back ports)
post #459 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolop View Post

Anyone notice that when you first turn the TV on the remote seems not to work, takes about 20 seconds untill the TV will take commands.

Well, the first 5-10 seconds is the TV warming up before displaying an image, but as soon as the image is displayed, I have control.
post #460 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 AM

[quote=kdk]Couple questions from a newbie:
I requested an HDMI capable HD DVR box for my XBR2. Got Motorola 6412 from Time Warner. Its too deep for my stand!!! I noticed most of you have Scientific Atlantla 8300HD, could somebody please measure depth??? Plus I was wondering if its a better box since all you experts have them.

Don't know about the other posters here but my cable company ( Charter) doesn't give us a choice of what cable box to use...they have only 1 model of HD cable box ( SA3250HD) and 1 model of DVR type box (also an SA I believe). If that's the case with your CC you won't be able to change it anyway.

"Future"
post #461 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdk View Post

Couple questions from a newbie:
I have a sony VAIO AR170G laptop which has a HDMI port, tried to connect HDMI to HDMI got an error message "cannot support signal"
Plus, is the RGB supplied VGA or SVGA? Is there a difference? Plus, can the adio part of the RGB PC input accept optical audio?
I am getting wall mount from Magnolia, currently have HDMI connected to cable box, the second one will be for upconverting DVD, but I want to connect PS3 by HMDI later, without using side port for aesthetic reasons. Will I even need the upconverting player later after I get the PS3? (Wish they had more HDMI back ports)

VGA, SVGA, etc. has nothing to do with the connection interface, it is a function of your display.
post #462 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Holy crap, aren't these like the best quality picture or what!?!?!??!!?!?! :|

when i look at it more, it looks like those characters are going to pop out of my screen X_x
post #463 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenogo View Post

Holy crap, aren't these like the best quality picture or what!?!?!??!!?!?! :|

when i look at it more, it looks like those characters are going to pop out of my screen X_x

Care to tell us the source, i.e. make and model of DVD player?
post #464 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

I remember seeing these a while back ago when the XBR set had been released in Europe (to coincide with the World Cup). I believe these are the same pics from that original post (don't recall exactly which website, but not here). As for myself, I'm psyched to be getting my 46xbr2 (should be here on Tuesday). Is there anyone out there that has gotten one of these professionally calibrated?
post #465 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post

Could you pleas report back to the list what you hear from Sony?

I have a similar issue. Every once and a while the TV flickers. It is not terribly annoying but if there is an easy firmware fix that would be cool.

Will do.

It has not happened again for almost 2 days now so I am quite baffled. How often is it happening to you?

Never Fully Here
post #466 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 PM

I just got back from my local Magnolia AV retailer, where I was ogling the KDL-46XBR3 on display, comparing it to the A2000 SXRDs and the LED-DLP Sammy there. Just thought I'd mention that my sales guy showed me the KDL-52XBR2 in his system, marked as due in November, priced (now) at $6500 which I assume is MSRP.

Loved the 46XBR3, btw. Handled SD very well with some tweaking IMHO.

...this is going to be a tough call for me to make - a 52" XBR3, or 60" SXRD XBR2...jeeze! Nice to at least have a choice, but the waiting is killin' me, I tell ya...

-3Gun
post #467 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanks.

It happens every hour or so. The odd time it happens a couple of times an hour. I'm trying to determine if it is source dependant. I just watched a DVD and had no issues. Back to cable and I got a "flicker". I'll watch another DVD and see. I'm also going to try using a power/av filter/cleaner. See if this does anything.

Quote:

Will do.

It has not happened again for almost 2 days now so I am quite baffled. How often is it happening to you?

post #468 of 3416 Old 09-03-2006, 07:20 PM

I was thinking of trying one of the line conditioners but do not know much about them except that they can get pricey. All I have ever used to date are good quality surge protectors.

I understand that some folks use UPS units as well but you have to get the right type or the back up power does not kick in fast enough.

Never Fully Here
post #469 of 3416 Old 09-04-2006, 02:48 PM

I'm getting my 46" XBR2 next week (thanks to all in here for your excellent info) and now I turn to the DVD....

Are the built-in scaling and interpolating functions good enough to take a good progressive scan DVD player and make it look fantastic or does one need to invest in the likes of an OPPO upconverting DVD player? If there is a difference in PQ, just how dramatic is it on this Sony vs. a non-1080p panel?

TIA
post #470 of 3416 Old 09-04-2006, 02:51 PM

I think I discovered what my problem was. I'm using a SA8300HD PVR as my cable box. I had it set to auto-hdmi with the only available screen mode being 1080i. I switched it to allow 480i,720p and 1080i and the flicker has not re-occurred today.

Quote:

Will do.

post #471 of 3416 Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 PM

I ordered this set after reading these forums (Mugen's original thread). Once ordered I read through the accolades and criticisms. It finally arrived last Friday and I am very happy with this LCD. As many others have pointed out, this set like all sets are totally dependent on source. The way this set displays 1080i is unbelievable, the image is fantastic...and even the sound is excellent. SD is acceptable, not bad at all, but as with my previous set...not HD. I've watched SD, HD, DVD's (via an old Sony DVP-S7700 new Oppo 971HD arrives Tuesday, Sony Blu-ray arrives in November).

What I like:
HD awesome...best I have seen.
Colors are accurate, brilliant and sharp, something very hard to find on a plasma.
SD...okay, not great, not HD, but easily watcheable(I followed the settings used by a couple of posters (a little tweaking to this) and found the custom environment recommended made a difference when it came to SD http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8291186)
Design and build quality....excellent.
Remote...easy...straight forward
Interface...well laid out, easy to use, fast
Black's awesomecheck out the moon shot below...can you tell where the bezel begins?

What I don't like:
My set also takes a while before the remote will work....20-30 seconds this is no big deal, but it also takes about six minutes to allow me to remove the source display on the screen and lower or raise the volume on the set. Has anyone else had this problem?

I could have waited for HDMI 1.3, SED or whatever is around the bend but then why not wait for the next best thing after that too? I waited 3 years to buy a flat panel display. I waited until I could find a set which would display an image that fit my taste and this has.

Below are a couple of pic's for your review.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Circles on moon...they were not there until I put this photo on a server for posting.
post #472 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 06:02 AM

Well, I finally jumped into the HD world and bought the 46" XBR2. I wanted to wait for the XBR3, but too eager and don't need to spend more money just for the black bezel.

I was wondering, I bought this at Best Buy and didn't get the warranty. I heard others saying you could get the TV then buy the warranty from SonyStyle.com, has anyone else done this?
post #473 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 06:38 AM

I just bought an XBR2 46" from Best Buy. I'm going to purchase a RepairTech extended warranty. Much cheaper and longer period of time as compared to the one Best Buy offered. After researching, they appear to be reputable, use local service companies, and have good customer feedback.

You can purchase from lcdtvs.com and probably many others. You can also find them on Ebay.

Repairtech web site is http://www.repairtechinc.com.
post #474 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 06:40 AM

I will check them out, thanks!
post #475 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYSHUNCE View Post

Black's awesomecheck out the moon shot below...can you tell where the bezel begins?

The set can display decent blacks, but at the cost of a loss of detail in dark areas. It's possible to change the settings to get the detail back (see the settings of CarlosC), but then the blacks don't look so good. Plasma is still better at this.
post #476 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if there is a section/option in the service menu of the XBR2 that shows the hours the TV has been used. The KDL-46S000 had this feauture in the service menu but I cannot find it in the XBR2 service menu. The 46S200 also has a GUI style service menu where as the XBR2 has a crude text based service menu.
The service menu I am accessing in the XBR2 is obtained by entering the following on the remote:
[PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [VOL+], [PWR ON]

Is there another service menu on the XBR2?
post #477 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 10:31 AM

Picking up new Sony XBR3 on Friday and had some real basic questions on set up ... apologize ahead of time if answers are obvious, but could really use the help of those of you more informed on this type of stuff....

1. Do I need to order a new Comcast Hidef cable box? I have an older Motorola Hidef, but I think it only has a DVI versus HDMI connection. Is there one specifically I should ask for? When I called Comcast, did not get a very intelligent answer! Is there a real advantage to HDMI hookup versus component?

2. I have an NAD T973 and 163 pre and amp withno HDMI, Oppo 971 DVD Player, XBox 360.

Do not understand advantages of HDMI versus component all that well and whether to run through NAD or direct to TV.... Any suggestions on best way to hookup and/or HDMI cables to purchase appreciated.

3. Do I really need a "Line Conditioner"? Looks like ones recommended will set me back around $200.....currently have a basic surge protector.
post #478 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 AM

Preliminary Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too just got my 46XBR2 last Thursday. I spent a good chunk of the holiday weekend playing with it. Here are some of my early thoughts:

1) Black level = overall excellent. When I have any lights on in the room, the blacks look completely black. The more light the blacker, but this is true of any TV, including my old Sony XBR Wega 32" CRT (the "holy grail" of televisions). I have watched several DVDs in the complete darkness and at first I was quite dissapointed because the blacks looked bright/grayish with my initial settings, but after a lot of adjusting yesterday, I now have pretty much totally black blacks lights on or off. The biggest correction I made was to turn brightness down to about 42. While this results in the loss of some shadow detail, the blacks look a lot better. Just found out yesterday that my Toshiba HD-A1 has a black level enhancer built in but haven't played with it yet.

2) I too got lucky and have an August build panel with zero dead/stuck pixels. I ran Dead Pixel Buddy and Pixel Test from my laptop and have also checked whenever a solid colored screen comes up. I was worried because the dopes that delivered the TV banged the stand on my apartment door when they were bringing it in. It took about a 1/8th inch chip of paint/plastic off of the front of the stand but the TV seems to be none the worse for wear. The chip is one of those things that I can't really see from more than a foot away but it bothers me because I know it's there. I'm debating whether to ask Tweeter to order me a new stand - think I might.

3) I have not seen any of the problems reported about this panel as of yet (ie. macroblocking, pixelation, etc.). Keep in mind though that 99% of my viewing so far has been DVDs from my Toshiba HD-A1. However, I do notice on some sources that there is a moderate amount of what I think is called mosquito noise. Not noticeable in dark areas but worse in bright colored areas. Surprisingly, I noticed the worst amount of it last night when watching Full Metal Jacket HD DVD. Have watched other DVDs with little to no noise. I'm guessing it's the source/quality of DVD transfer. Turning on Noise Reduction to medium or high significantly improves it but causes some slight loss of detail. Right now I have NR set at low. I don't notice any detail loss with NR set at low.

4) When the TV is on but with no active source and a black screen (ie. while a DVD is booting up, etc.), I can detect the slighest amount of what looks for lack of a better description like "clouding" in the lower left 1/4 of the screen. It looks like cloud shaped "patches" of ever so slightly brighter screen, and I do mean slight. I really have to strain my eyes to notice it. The rest of the scren looks pretty uniform. I don't know if this is some light leakage or something to do with the liquid crystal substrate or whatever. Bottom line is I'm doing as critical review of this set as I know how and evaluating everything I find. Whatever this "clouding" is, it doesn't affect the active picture at all so it's a non issue for now. I didn't buy this set to watch blank screens.

5) I've watched most of the extended version of the Lord of the Rings and the upscaled picture from the HD-A1 is phenominal. Looks completely high def and better than Full Metal Jacket HD DVD which I think is a poor transfer or something because it didn't look that hot. Chronicles of Riddick HD DVD is also incredible. Braveheart also looks hi def now but I noticed a lot of black specs flashing, especially in brighter scenes. I'm sure it's the quality of the DVD and not the TV because I haven't seen this on any other source. It's just like the black specs you see in a movie theater which I think are caused by dust on the film. I'm sure they've always been on the DVD but were never noticeable until played on a true hi-def TV. Final Fantasy Spirits within looks hi-def.

6) The colors on this set are excellent. Skin tones, etc. are all very natural looking. It took a lot of adjusting to get the settings I like. Don't be shy to adjust everything as if you get too far afield you can just reset.

7) Regarding cable, I currently have Comcast basic (non digital) and it is barely watchable. I haven't tweaked anything for the cable settings yet because this week I'm getting Comcast digital with HD hooked up so I will reserve any further cable review until then. I hooked up the non-digital basic box to the TV just out of curiosity and it's bad. I'm assuming the step up to digital with HD will make a significant improvement, although I know SD cable will never look pristine.

8) My viewing distance is around 7.5 - 8 feet. I'm glad I went with the 46". I had contemplated waiting and getting the 52" but 46" is plenty big enough for me. It's very true when you hear people say that the TV looks bigger in your home than in the store.

9) I have seen no ghosting or motion blur even in the fastest most intense parts of LOTR, Chronicles of Riddick, etc. Haven't watched any sports yet though.

10) One final note, I think these new XBRs are selling like hot cakes. Best Buy was sold out of them when I tried to order and I've been in Tweeter twice since I bought the set and on both trips there were other people buying both the 40 and 46. I think Sony has a winner on its hands. While I'm still within my 30 days, I'm going to continue going over the set as critically as possible and then just sit back and enjoy. Can't wait for PS3. My heart sank when the day after I got the TV delivered Sharp announced the new 62U with 2000:1 contrast, 4ms response time, etc. But to tell the truth, after watching this TV all weekend, I can't imagine that the new Sharp will be better and will be a great set if it's even as good as the Sony. As far as style, when I first saw pictures of this set everal months ago, I hated the floating glass and thought the set looked way too artsy/contemporary. However, the look has really grown on me and now I really love the style. It's very classy looking and I love the illuminated Sony logo. Unlike some others, I don't find the glass or the metal strip around it to be distracting at all when viewing.

11) One addition to my novel, it's been my experience so far that there are very few "problems" that arise with this TV that can't be corrected with settings adjustments.
post #479 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 11:19 AM

1. Do I need to order a new Comcast Hidef cable box? I have an older Motorola Hidef, but I think it only has a DVI versus HDMI connection. Is there one specifically I should ask for? When I called Comcast, did not get a very intelligent answer! Is there a real advantage to HDMI hookup versus component?

You need a HDMI HD cable box....you can usually pick it up same day. Otherwise you will not have an HDMI input.
post #480 of 3416 Old 09-05-2006, 11:25 AM

GRXBOX360,

Mind posting your picture settings once you have had time to fiddle some more?

TM
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page