Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
please post pix, hehehe simple as that. HD and SD. even if i am keeping my westy 47, i am still in the market for an lcd. to put in other room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1848 View Post

Regarding the over the air HD, will the tv automatically pick it up, or do I have to plug in the cable running from the wall into the tv to get this. The area I live is is very close to sea level and generally over the air reception is minimal unless there is an antenna. HD through the cable box looks phenominal.

Also, would DVI-HDMI cables from monoprice give me a better picture vs the bargin bin DVI-HDMI cables from Best Buy.... when the install person came to my house he gave me the cables from his truck that he said they used as "replacements" The wires look very thin and of not great quality, but even these "cheap" cables gave me a better picture than the component cables that the cable company got me.

Ah well. I actually consider the cables from monoprice a bargain compared to those super-ridiculously-expensive-ripoff Monster cables from Best Buy that I got ($100+ each. No other choices since that's all they got when I bought the TV).
They should be here very soon and if I can't find any difference in PQ, then those Monster cables will not stay in my house.
post #93 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 03:54 PM

Lets put some more custom picture settings up, I'm still fiddling with my settings and I'll update them soon as I can. I know some people put them in the other thread, but that thread is way to big at least put them here close to the first page for new owners to easily navigate.
post #94 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 PM

I'm going to try and get some pictures and some of my settings for you folks tonight...I'm new to this board, but thanks to the members here, I have learned quite a lot!

disguised...how would you rate your pq that your monster cables give you (i assume you are using them to connect with some sort of cable/satalite box correct?)

Cheers!
post #95 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM

I hooked up the OPPO 971 DVD player today and it took quite a bit of tweaking, but the final result is excellent. I am confused however about one thing. When output on the player is set to 1080i, i am able to choose full pixel on the sony which delivers a very crisp sharp picture, but it is not centered. The picture is shifted to the left and there is no menu on the sony to fix this. Any ideas?

Who's your daddy?
post #96 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpedit View Post

I'm receiving Comcast HD through a Moto DCT6412 III. It sends (via HDMI) either 480i or 1080i to the TV (as indicated by the Display function of the TV's remote). I hooked up an RF splitter out of the wall so I could check out the TV's tuner (there was no option in the Moto to pass the raw signal to the TV). I compared some primetime (House?) HD broadcast on the TV, which now indicated the expected 720p, to that coming in from the Moto (1080i). I'll have to spend more time to make a call between the two, both looked quite good.
Byrne

Byrne,

What Comcast system are you on? From your post, I assume that Comcast is sending HD locals in the clear and the XBR2 QAM tuner is able to display them straight off the cable... correct? Is there any other HD in the clear besides locals?

Jeff
post #97 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

I hooked up the OPPO 971 DVD player today and it took quite a bit of tweaking, but the final result is excellent. I am confused however about one thing. When output on the player is set to 1080i, i am able to choose full pixel on the sony which delivers a very crisp sharp picture, but it is not centered. The picture is shifted to the left and there is no menu on the sony to fix this. Any ideas?

in the screen menu their is a option called horizontal center, it lets you adjust the picture left and right. i don't know if it works with full pixel though.
post #98 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

in the screen menu their is a option called horizontal center, it lets you adjust the picture left and right. i don't know if it works with full pixel though.

unfortunately, it does not. I think it is the source, not the panel. I see it also on some HD channels, though not as bad. It must have something to do with the 1080i to 1080p upconversion.

Who's your daddy?
post #99 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

unfortunately, it does not. I think it is the source, not the panel. I see it also on some HD channels, though not as bad. It must have something to do with the 1080i to 1080p upconversion.

a guess is the signal isn't exactly 1920x1080 which is the standard and this could be the reason why this is happening.
post #100 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 08:05 PM

well, I took a bunch of pictures of everything from standard definition, to DVD, to HD programing, to Xbox 360 and it says that all of my pics are too large to post. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get you guys these pics please let me know.

slapshot
post #101 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 08:24 PM

What are the optimal settings you found on the Oppo with regards to the XBR2? I'm patiently waiting for my XBR3 and my Oppo 971 just arrived this afternoon ... I'd like to at least start with some settings people liked on the TV and I can tweak it to my own liking .... (this can be PMed to me, if you think it will get too off topic ... although I think others would be curious too with the Oppo on the XBR2).
post #102 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 08:42 PM

This set does NOT like camera flashes or strobe lights.

I watched the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs on Conan O'Brien's show last night and there were strobe lights going off during their performance. You couldn't see any detail because it got so pixelated. Then, I'm watching the news, and camera picture flashes caused the same effect. It's really bad. Is this common for LCD sets, or only this one?
post #103 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hero View Post

I watched the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs on Conan O'Brien's show last night and there were strobe lights going off during their performance. You couldn't see any detail because it got so pixelated. Then, I'm watching the news, and camera picture flashes caused the same effect. It's really bad. Is this common for LCD sets, or only this one?

same thing happened on my panny plasma......I think it was the feed

Who's your daddy?
post #104 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWeinz View Post

What are the optimal settings you found on the Oppo with regards to the XBR2? I'm patiently waiting for my XBR3 and my Oppo 971 just arrived this afternoon ... I'd like to at least start with some settings people liked on the TV and I can tweak it to my own liking .... (this can be PMed to me, if you think it will get too off topic ... although I think others would be curious too with the Oppo on the XBR2).

I put the panel to bed for the night so I will post tomorrow

Who's your daddy?
post #105 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:

It's the feed ... you'll see it on a tube too. The beginning of Leno when they pan the audience is the same. Too much action/color change.
post #106 of 3416 Old 08-17-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscozz View Post

. . .What Comcast system are you on? From your post, I assume that Comcast is sending HD locals in the clear and the XBR2 QAM tuner is able to display them straight off the cable... correct? Is there any other HD in the clear besides locals?

Not sure what you mean by "system". I'm in No. California and receiving Comcast's Digital Classic Pkg with the additional HD option. Indeed, it seems I receive all the analog and most (or all?) of the digital channels in my package. I haven't investigated this thoroughly, just enough to compare the Sony's processing to that of the STB. Channel cruising your cable input with your TV's tuner is a bit more problematic than via the STB because the channels do not display info about which station you're watching (beyond the watermark logo if present). I think I am only able to receive the local HD stations. I haven't stumbled on any beside FOX, NBC and CBS (the local ABC has not gone HD).
Byrne
post #107 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'll add to what others said. This is NOT you set....strobing is the achillies heel of HD. Strobing during the Grammy's ruined many a performance.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #108 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I'll add to what others said. This is NOT you set....strobing is the achillies heel of HD. Strobing during the Grammy's ruined many a performance.

Hmmm, I think that's a fair statement. But, I never noticed it this badly before on my previous set (KD-34XBR2). Although, the 2002 Winter Olympics opening ceremony looked very bad (pixelation). The dancing Indians looked horrible.
post #109 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopRock03 View Post

I got mine a couple days ago and I am really impressed. I also am somewhat concerned about possible artifacting during sporting events (and text scrolling at the bottom of the screen). After hooking my computer up and running it at 1920x1080 I was absolutely floored. The picture was unreal, and I couldnt be more pleased. All in all know I made the right decision with this TV

I've been watching mine for about two/three weeks now. This is a problem with all HDTV. NTSC does interlacing but there's never any artifacts because the number of lines are very small. 1080i... it's a problem that all sets have decifering.

FOX shows as 720p -- god bless them -- I see no artifacts at a normal viewing distance 4.5/5+ feet away (if you're watching this set closer, you shouldn't be because your killing way to many brain cells and killing your eyes). Fox seems to do the best. No matter if I'm watching shows that arn't filmed with HD camera to football, it's always a great picture.

ABC shows as 720p. I can't comment on a lot of shorts because I haven't watched sports on ABC; however, I can say that this picture doesn't seem to be as good as fox.

Everything else is 1080i -- not really sure about football, but on formula one, there was some artifacting around the wheels and around the lane strips. When I turned off DCP, that fixed most of the atrifacting but it also made the picture a little more blurry. Interestingly enough, TBS 1080i is the best picture 1080i -- I think it's much better than NBC, CBS for the shows that arn't actually filmed with HD camera.

This is somewhat frustrating -- as a community, we are all caught up in different formats -- even if the channel is showing in HDTV formats, that doesn't mean it was filmed with HD camera.

Before purchase, I saw this TV at two different places and I compared against many plazma's and the AQUOS. This is the best one to date -- it's not perfect, just better than anything else out there.

I am considering a video processor as I think they are worth the money now -- it will normalize your viewing experience between channels and create a fantastic picture all the time. In 10 year, my guess is that no one will need a video processor.
post #110 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinraven View Post

whats the overal feeling of SD on these sets. reason I asked is because today I was at a pc richards store in nyc while checking out the samsung 4095 on InhD, looked great I was impressed. So i imagine the sony would look similar.

however when I asked the salesman to switch to an SD channel running of timewarner cable...i was Horiffied.. yuk. my defecting westinghouse sure as hell handles SD better. then again timewarner sucks. I plan on goind DishHD once i get my set.

I am going to change sets soon this has def ruled out the samy for me esp since the wife loves her SD. what's the overall feeling on SD with these set. i did get the chance to check out the older s2000 sonys, not bad at all.

It's really hard to judge a SD picture at a store -- those signals are usually very bad and slit a hundred times. I know everyone tells me that I am crazy, but I just have the coax direct from wall into TV (no digital cable box). I think the SD picture looks awesome. I am constantly switching between HDTV channel and same SD channel. Yes, there's a difference but not much on difference on any type of show except nature and sports.

Keep in mind that I only have two splits to this TV and I'm only loosing 7db with those two splits.
post #111 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 07:48 AM

Plugged in the 46XBR2 for the first time last night. Tried coaxial from the Comcast digital Moto box straight to the tv... yuck. Tried unplugging coax from the tv and using component from the cable box to the tv, couldn't get it to work though. I may have plugged it up wrong.

HDMI cable should arrive today, that is the only thing that needs to come from the cable box that would allow me to receive SD/HD, correct?
post #112 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 AM

I'm still confused.... sorry.

Now that you actually have the XBR2 in your homes, is the HDMI input standard 1.2 or 1.3 ?

Thanks, Tim
post #113 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

I'm still confused.... sorry.

Now that you actually have the XBR2 in your homes, is the HDMI input standard 1.2 or 1.3 ?

Thanks, Tim

How would one even find out? It's not listed in the manual, which I find odd ... my hope is that the XBR3 adds 1.3 ... but to be honest, it's not that big of a deal, might explain the delay and higher price difference, but I don't even know where to find out!

Oh, and it's highly unlikely the set will be 1.3 - others claim the XBR2 is 1.2 ... just don't know how they figured it out.
post #114 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff View Post

Plugged in the 46XBR2 for the first time last night. Tried coaxial from the Comcast digital Moto box straight to the tv... yuck. Tried unplugging coax from the tv and using component from the cable box to the tv, couldn't get it to work though. I may have plugged it up wrong.

HDMI cable should arrive today, that is the only thing that needs to come from the cable box that would allow me to receive SD/HD, correct?

Well... no...

It depends if your cable company is sending the HD signal unscrambled. Your cable company may be sending unscrambled HDTV signal along with the SD signal. If so, you are already receiving a HD signal for those channels and could hook your coax direct to TV and do an autoscan. That's how I am doing mine and I get all the audio channels plus ABC, NBC, CBS, TSB, PBA, and FOX all in HD (through this method I don't have access to ESPN HD or Discovery HD).

I think the picture looks great from 5 feet+ away. I usually watch from 6-10 feet away.
post #115 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallag View Post

Interestingly enough, TBS 1080i is the best picture 1080i -- I think it's much better than NBC, CBS for the shows that arn't actually filmed with HD camera.

Are you in the Atlanta area? I read that TBS only goes HD to the Atlanta area and immediate surroundings, but it's standard SD for the rest of the country.
post #116 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Are you in the Atlanta area? I read that TBS only goes HD to the Atlanta area and immediate surroundings, but it's standard SD for the rest of the country.

Yes. Not suprising that TBS is only in Atlanta yet...
post #117 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 09:52 AM

On my cable system ( Charter in CT) watching Nascar on NBCHD VS TNTHD there is a big difference in PQ. I was surprised to see that TNT HD had a sharper picture and much less pixelation ( almost non existant) than NBC. 2 races this weekend, Saturday and Sunday on TNTHD and I'll be interested in seeing how they compare to last weekend's races on NBC HD. Maybe more compression being used by NBC ???

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #118 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 10:07 AM

Hello all-

I bought this set a little while ago, but now I am moving to an apartment in downtown chicago. Due to problems placing my large center speaker [klipsch RC-III], Ive decided to wall mount the set so i can place my center channel on top of my media bench. Anyways, I'll be RENTING my place so I cant afford to do any real damage, but does anybody have experience with mounting this set (or any set in general)?

I am worried that I'll have to put some serious holes into the wall and will not get my security deposit back. I have no problems with 4-6 medium size holes, for those can be patched and painted. Anyways I think you catch my drift, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I found a "Sanus - VisionMount Flush Wall Mount for 32" - 60" Flat-Panel TVs - Silver" at best buy for $188. Is there a better option?
post #119 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 AM

Need more pq settings from owners please. I think we have only 1 set in 4 pages... I would love to see some more.
post #120 of 3416 Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

There are no products of any kind on the market with hdmi 1.3, at this date.

That pretty much rules out 1.3 in the XBR2.

The Grocers' Apostrophe, an AVS Forum tradition.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page