Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Krevnik from has done some investigation and believes it is not a synch-on-green issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krevnik View Post

Not likely... I did my own initial investigation, and the source of the problem is the horizontal frequency.

The XBR2 is looking for a: 1920x1080, 60Hz Vert, 67.5kHz Hor
The 360 is providing: 1920x1080, 60Hz Vert, 66.9kHz Hor

That is 500-600Hz off of what it is expecting.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...66#post8793366

So it simply appears that the horizontal synch does not match what several TV's are expecting.

Hopefully this will be a simple patch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckage83 View Post

Long time reader, First time poster.

I've been reading this forum while at work for nearly a month now. I've gone to BB and CC a couple of times and checked TVs. Everytime the wife and I return to the Sony 46XBR2.

My new house will be finished at the end of November and this will be the first TV I have bought in nearly 10years (I'm 23). I am not real big into the AV world. I like to play my Xbox360, watch DVDs and TV. I haven't owned an HD tv and when we finish the house we will be getting Metrocast HD cable service, because I will be in the sticks of Maine.

So My question to you is, will this TV live up to what it looks like in the store. I read on here about motion blur and other issues and I am worried about dropping 3k on a tv and get mad when I try to ply a first person shooter or watch the game on sunday night.

I will get quality cables and a backup power supply so will I be happy with my new toy in my new home?

I can say for sure that I have not seen any motion blur with this set and video games, dvds, or downloaded HD content. The *only* blur I have seen is on a few shows such as Conan O'Brien. It scared me at first, but it really is source related, as it does not show up anywhere else. In addition, it's not even that bad...you might not even notice it. It can vary even among the same channel, as I have seen one movie on HBOHD show a little blur, and the very next look perfect. When playing video games, make sure that Game Mode is on, and you will be a-okay. I think you will be more than happy with your new toy...I know I am.
post #1653 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyC79 View Post

I can say for sure that I have not seen any motion blur with this set and video games, dvds, or downloaded HD content. The *only* blur I have seen is on a few shows such as Conan O'Brien. It scared me at first, but it really is source related, as it does not show up anywhere else. In addition, it's not even that bad...you might not even notice it. It can vary even among the same channel, as I have seen one movie on HBOHD show a little blur, and the very next look perfect. When playing video games, make sure that Game Mode is on, and you will be a-okay. I think you will be more than happy with your new toy...I know I am.

I pretty much agree with everything Sonny said.

I'll add:

motion blur in recent NBA games live on TNTHD and ESPNHD. not that noticeable, but yaknow.... i see it

but when i watched one game saved on my DVR, it didn't seem that apparent.

I dunno, it coulda been that Dwyane Wade is too quick for my xbr3.

Back to the matter at hand, I have been noticing this "motion blur" less and less. Maybe I was paying too much attention to these things and not enjoying the beauty of this badboy.

Nonetheless, I believe that this TV is effin amazing. I don't know how it can get better, but some are already enjoying BD and HDDVD on their 1080p sets... my time will come, right PS3? Right.

PSN and XBox Live gamertag: JonesJohnson

Format Neutrality = Best
post #1654 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Sorry, don't want to interupt the gaming input discussion but I was hoping I might get some feedback from owners who might be in the same situation as me...

I've made my decision and am purchasing the 46XBR2. I have satellite (Direct TV) for HD programming but will also be watching a good amount of SD as well. I'm not a gamer, but will be using my laptop as an input on occasion.

As long as I have a digital satellite feed does anybody think I'll have issues with SD?

TIA
post #1655 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott1017 View Post

Sorry, don't want to interupt the gaming input discussion but I was hoping I might get some feedback from owners who might be in the same situation as me...

I've made my decision and am purchasing the 46XBR2. I have satellite (Direct TV) for HD programming but will also be watching a good amount of SD as well. I'm not a gamer, but will be using my laptop as an input on occasion.

As long as I have a digital satellite feed does anybody think I'll have issues with SD?

TIA

Good question. I thought the same thing. I went out and bought one last weekend, and I dont regret it at all, and either will you. The thing is massive, and the picture is immaculate. SD, is fine, obviously not as good as HD or the BluRay they show in stores, but still ok. definitly now bad put it that way.

GO for it. Take the plunge.

Devout home-theaterist
post #1656 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothias View Post

I pretty much agree with everything Sonny said.

I'll add:

motion blur in recent NBA games live on TNTHD and ESPNHD. not that noticeable, but yaknow.... i see it

but when i watched one game saved on my DVR, it didn't seem that apparent.

I dunno, it coulda been that Dwyane Wade is too quick for my xbr3.

Back to the matter at hand, I have been noticing this "motion blur" less and less. Maybe I was paying too much attention to these things and not enjoying the beauty of this badboy.

Nonetheless, I believe that this TV is effin amazing. I don't know how it can get better, but some are already enjoying BD and HDDVD on their 1080p sets... my time will come, right PS3? Right.

I know a lot of people don't like it but I've used the Cnet settings with SD content (all I have until PS3) and since I entered their settings I have had zero blur and I must say SD content (same concept of bad quality is still bad but good is really good) is wonderful.

Before I used the cnet settings I had motion blur and I was really upset as you could really see it. I'd say this is the same that people see in stores that don't have it setup properly. It's a shame too because IMO this set really shines when setup correctly. I'll also say that with all the possible PQ settings it's almost overwhelming so if you don't like the end result of the cnet settings after a day or so you could at least use it for reference.

Thanks,

J

post #1657 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 PM

Bad news for 360 owners.

Major Nelson indicated a patch fix went up today... which only addresses the 360's that got bricked by the last patch. No VGA fixes, no indication there would be a further patch.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow, then call the support line AGAIN to register my inability to view 1080. This is just silly.
post #1658 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukescerri View Post

Good question. I thought the same thing. I went out and bought one last weekend, and I dont regret it at all, and either will you. The thing is massive, and the picture is immaculate. SD, is fine, obviously not as good as HD or the BluRay they show in stores, but still ok. definitly now bad put it that way.

GO for it. Take the plunge.

I'll go a step ahead of that and say that my SD content is amazing. I'm in awe on some programs and commercials. As I mentioned earlier the cnet settings really show how beautiful this set can be. It did take me a few hour however to adjust from the overly high contrast and brightness and other settings the set is defaulted to.

To give you more info I am using an Dish DVR 522 (SD) and have it connected with the best connection my dvr has which is svid and optical audio. I have the svid running to my tv and the audio going to my onkyo s790.

In my viewing when watching shows that are in HD on my SD dvr they look the best. Such as smallville and Law & Order:SVU and both Stargates are prime examples of how wonderful this set can be. I was also watching an old xfile show last night that was first ran in 1990's and it looked so crisp and vivid.

Only bad scene I've seen was with Angel which in itself has great picture expecially in all the dark scenes but with a flashback scene in an old angel it wasn't so hot but If memory serves the flashback wasn't too hot on my crt as well.

Thanks,

J

post #1659 of 3416 Old 11-01-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanGagne View Post

Bad news for 360 owners.

Major Nelson indicated a patch fix went up today... which only addresses the 360's that got bricked by the last patch. No VGA fixes, no indication there would be a further patch.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow, then call the support line AGAIN to register my inability to view 1080. This is just silly.

Actually ... I'm quite sure the current 'patch' is to PREVENT further 360's from getting bricked.

Many (most? all?) people that have had their 360 bricked can't even boot to get a new patch.

It looks like the dreaded Error 71 may be as bad as the red ring of death.
post #1660 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotep View Post

Proof at TGS 2006 when they showed Ridge Racer 7, Virtua Tennis 3, Lair, etc... all running on the 40 inch XBR2 at 1080p.

Pwned.

You mean the developmental ps3s they had running unfinished games with? The same ones I played with my own hands? Really now...interesting.
I know, you can tell from the Vanilla and Chocolate comment is was a joke. back off Sony fanboy. You are actually to the point were your comments are jokes wether you mean it or not.

It seems the update for the update only concerns the bricked 360 issue and not the 1080p issue. Not looking good for my xbr2 at this point.
post #1661 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomhitman View Post

You mean the developmental ps3s they had running unfinished games with? The same ones I played with my own hands? Really now...interesting.
I know, you can tell from the Vanilla and Chocolate comment is was a joke. back off Sony fanboy. You are actually to the point were your comments are jokes wether you mean it or not.

It seems the update for the update only concerns the bricked 360 issue and not the 1080p issue. Not looking good for my xbr2 at this point.

No, there were no Development kits running at TGS. All software was run on final builds of the PS3 hardware with final beta canditates of the Operating System.

Once again, pwned.
post #1662 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Really now, it is quite obvious that I did not play it at Tokyo. They were not using sdk at Tokyo, but those were not final "same as retail" ps3s either. Regardless of what final builds your are talking about or demos of games that are still in development the fact remains you are solidly in the Sony fanboy world.
Open you eyes a little wider and you will see what you are doing. Maybe giving other consoles a chance will aleviate your blind following of a brand name.
post #1663 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 05:58 AM

There's a thread started here for XBOX 1080P update working on Sony Tv's;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=743870

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #1664 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

There are 2 threads on the official xbox forums as well, but the forums are down right now. I will link to those as soon as they come back up.
post #1665 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...66#post8793366

So it simply appears that the horizontal synch does not match what several TV's are expecting.

Hopefully this will be a simple patch.

Wow, that's strange....interesting to see the s.o.g. theory supposedly disproved, though. I'm starting to think MS shouldn't have bothered. I know they kind of "had to" so they could match Sony's on-paper specs, but this doesn't help their image among the obsessive right before the launch of the competitor's consoles. Bad timing, I guess.

If my VGA cable isn't here today I may just pick one up and Best Buy and then return the one that's coming to there. I know it's not going to work, but I'm not a fan of calling and complaining about something I haven't experienced personally yet, even if I know what's going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emotep View Post

No, there were no Development kits running at TGS. All software was run on final builds of the PS3 hardware with final beta canditates of the Operating System.

Once again, pwned.

"Pwned?" I think this is the site you meant to go to. I don't know why you feel a sense of accomplishment, you haven't done anything.

We do not train to be merciful here.
post #1666 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

There are 2 threads on the official xbox forums as well, but the forums are down right now. I will link to those as soon as they come back up.

Oh, the irony..........

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #1667 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Here we go, everyone that is having issues go here and post up. The more people we get the better the chance to get a fix for it.
1080p update faq
1080p with sony tvs
1080p working?
Sony xbr2 thread
post #1668 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWeinz View Post

Literally, do a search in this thread for that question verbatim ... just humor me.

Ok. Just to humor you, I did the search. One hit, post #1261.

Now humor me. Show me where someone answered the question.

- msc

I just took my VT60 out of the box and started watching it. Is that ok?
post #1669 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While I'm not here to trn this thread into a gaming forum ...

... just to be clear, there are 4 confirmed 1080p/60 launch titles for the PS3.

These have been played/tested on retail PS3's, with finished games.
post #1670 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

While I'm not here to trn this thread into a gaming forum ...

... just to be clear, there are 4 confirmed 1080p/60 launch titles for the PS3.

These have been played/tested on retail PS3's, with finished games.

Ok, I never said 1080p games would not be released. What are these 4 1080p games you speak of?
post #1671 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM

Ever since I got my new Sony set, I have noticed that there is interference with IR in the bedroom where it is installed. I've had a swith-plate IR receiver in that room for a long time and never had any problems before. What started happening with the Sony is that for the first 30-60 seconds that the TV is turned on, the little red dot (indicating IR signal) on the receiver plate stays lit continuously and is on so strong that it kind of blocks IR transmissions from my TiVo remote. Within about 1 minute, the light fadens and eventually goes dark and normal IR transmission resumes. I did some experimentation and found that the continuous IR light "on" situation is a funtion of turning on the TV. When I turn it on the IR interference starts in 5-10 seconds. If I turn the TV off immediately, the IR interference stops.

I remember seeing some special IR receivers made for use around plasma TVs. Could the same issue that causes problems between plasma and IR be affecting me with an LCD?

Is there something the Sony TV is doing when it powers up that might be causing the interference? All I can think of is that it might have some "checking" it does for other IR devices in the vicinity, or that this may have something to do with the lights coming on in the plexiglass bezel.

Any thoughts ideas on what might be causing this and what I can do to make it stop?

Thanks!
post #1672 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 11:12 AM

I've been having an issue with my 46" XBR2 which may be the TV's fault or could be the fault of the SA8300HD cable box or my Harmony 880 universal remote...I'm not sure which. A good bit of the time, when I turn on the TV (when it already has the HDMI input for the 8300HD selected) or change inputs to the 8300HD, I'll get a screen full of static (but with audio for the 8300HD coming through just fine). I eventually get a picture after changing channels on the 8300HD five or six times...but doing that is a pain in the butt 'cause of how slow the channel changes are. Any idea why this might be happening? I doubt it's an HDMI issue, since those are usually accompanied by the picture cutting in and out. Does this sound like something that could be caused by the remote sending a stray signal (or perhaps not having the right delay times for the signals?). Any troubleshooting suggestions would be much appreciated.
post #1673 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I never said 1080p games would not be released. What are these 4 1080p games you speak of?

NBA 2007 (Sony)

NBA 2K7 (2K Studios)

Virtual Tennis (Sega)

Ridge Racer 7 (Namco)

Just to note, these games are not only 1080p ... but at 60fps as well.

I'm not sure, but there may be another (a couple?) 1080p titles for the launch window, but I believe the above ones are the only ones at 60fps.

Regardless, there are other 1080p games in development as well.

Also, all of the Playsation Online 'Arcade Games' are reported to be 1080p, and many will likely be at 60fps.
post #1674 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 11:21 AM

I just got off the phone with XBOX 360 support. I talked to a supervisor and told him that the 360 is not displaying 1080p properly on my46XBR 3 using the vga cable. He said hold on a second and then came back and told me they know they have a problem and are working on it to fix it. He was not sure when. But at least he did not say they never heard of it before.
post #1675 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjnyc View Post

A good bit of the time, when I turn on the TV (when it already has the HDMI input for the 8300HD selected) or change inputs to the 8300HD, I'll get a screen full of static (but with audio for the 8300HD coming through just fine). I eventually get a picture after changing channels on the 8300HD five or six times...but doing that is a pain in the butt 'cause of how slow the channel changes are. Any idea why this might be happening?

I've had a similar problem with a Motorola DCT6200 and I found the problem to be my DVI -> HDMI adapter. Not knowing if the 8300's have HDMI built-in or you have to use an adapter I'd suggest looking into the adapter as the source of the problem if you do use one. For me, the static only seemed to occur when watching standard def programming and changing from a standard def channel to a hi def channel fixed the problem without having to turn the cable box on and off.

I have two DVI -> HDMI adapters. One Monster and another off brand that I can't remember the name of. I've never had a problem with the Monster adapter.
post #1676 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar325 View Post

Ever since I got my new Sony set, I have noticed that there is interference with IR in the bedroom where it is installed. I've had a swith-plate IR receiver in that room for a long time and never had any problems before. What started happening with the Sony is that for the first 30-60 seconds that the TV is turned on, the little red dot (indicating IR signal) on the receiver plate stays lit continuously and is on so strong that it kind of blocks IR transmissions from my TiVo remote. Within about 1 minute, the light fadens and eventually goes dark and normal IR transmission resumes. I did some experimentation and found that the continuous IR light "on" situation is a funtion of turning on the TV. When I turn it on the IR interference starts in 5-10 seconds. If I turn the TV off immediately, the IR interference stops.

I remember seeing some special IR receivers made for use around plasma TVs. Could the same issue that causes problems between plasma and IR be affecting me with an LCD?

Is there something the Sony TV is doing when it powers up that might be causing the interference? All I can think of is that it might have some "checking" it does for other IR devices in the vicinity, or that this may have something to do with the lights coming on in the plexiglass bezel.

Any thoughts ideas on what might be causing this and what I can do to make it stop?

Thanks!

I have a similar situation with my SA3250HD cable box. For about 15 seconds or so after I turn my XBR2 on the cable box does not take commands from the remote. After that everything works normally. My original HDTV, Samsung 45" LCD went back because my cable box would not work at all with the set . Fortunately that went right back and I came home with a 46"XBR2, which turned out to be a far superior TV so I considered the problem a blessing in disguise! My guess is that the backlight outputs some kind of IR interference when it warms up and settles down shortly after.

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #1677 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

phantomhitman,

Here are some other announced titles at 1080p:

Army of 2 (EA) - framerate unknown

Marvel Ultimate Alliance* (Activision) - framerate unknown

Wardevil (likely bought by Sony) - framerate unknown

Gran Tourismo - HD (Polyphony Digital/Sony) - 60fps

Skate (EA I think) - framerate unknown

Full Auto 2 (Psuedo/Sega) - framerate unknown

Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Team Nenja/Tecmo) - 60fps

Lair (Factor 5) - framerate unknown

(* Note - Marvel UA is a launch title as well)

All announced original downloadable 'arcade' games are 1080p @ 60 fps:

Lemmings 2
flow
Calling All Cars
Blast Factor
Cash Carnage Chaos
post #1678 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Raistlin, I now know what to look for to test out the new 1080p hype when I pick up my ps3.
For now I will go back to crying about my 1080p issues with the 360.
post #1679 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah ... I'm in a bit of a pickle as well.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Sony 50A2000 SXRD to use with PS3 games and BluRay movies.

However, in the future I may want a 360. If MS does not release a new rev of the 360 with HDMI, or does not fix the VGA issues with the new 'dashboard' for 1080p ... I will be quite disappointed.

Unfortunately, there is no current TV that fits everything I would like to have.
post #1680 of 3416 Old 11-02-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Yeah ... I'm in a bit of a pickle as well.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Sony 50A2000 SXRD to use with PS3 games and BluRay movies.

However, in the future I may want a 360. If MS does not release a new rev of the 360 with HDMI, or does not fix the VGA issues with the new 'dashboard' for 1080p ... I will be quite disappointed.

Unfortunately, there is no current TV that fits everything I would like to have.

You could always just plug your PC into the XBR2s VGA port and game on your PC (therefore negating the need for an Xbox 360 since so many 360 games are ported to the PC)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page