Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just an FYI to other owners looking to obtain a better SD image. I have been doing alot of research on video processors thinking that this may be the answer to my SD woes. After posting in that forum and talking with some companies......it seams that is not the case. Most of the issue with the SD signal is noise related, and most video processors improve the picture by deinterlacing. There are only a handful of VP's out there that have MPEG noise reduction circuitry built in and they are not cheap. Unfortunately, I think the choice is clear. Suffer with inferior SD and bathe in superior HD (and I have to keep reminding myself that what I am currently watching is either 1080i or 720p, not the full 1080p this panel is capable of) or revert back to the old CRT. Seeing how great this panel is with HD, and with the OPPO971 it also is stellar at DVD. My choice is easy.......screw SD.

Who's your daddy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi bluechuncks,
Yes this info helps a ton !!
Where I`m still in the looking stage , I just want to make sure it would all go together
Not really sure what I`m going to do , but it would seem very cool , and I do need a new computer anyway and I`m looking for a HD+ panel.
That connection ( VGA ) would be perfect ,
I`m thinking about a huge HT overhaul , so right now everything is in the planning stage.
Anyway , many thanks again for your help , most useful help
Gary
post #183 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 03:00 PM

I just got the 46xbr2 and connected my 360 using monster cables, the gamelink and the fiber optic digital, I plugged everything in and the picture is on but I ha ve no sound. Which settings do I need to mess with?

Secondly, the letters on screen appear a bit blurry? Is this the "halo" effect and if so what setting do I need to mess with to fix this?

Oh, and unrelated I can't get my cox cable box to work with the TV via HDMI or component. Not one minute of use yet....
post #184 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

My choice is easy.......screw SD.

Exactly! I can't imagine even wanting to watch SD. We have plenty to watch on INHD, HBOHD (Deadwood, various new/old movies), NBCHD (ER and various HD programming), ABCHD (Lost), FOXHD (House M.D.) and CBSHD (Letterman). I'll occasionally watch M*A*S*H or something in SD, but honestly.....who needs it? Not us.

If a person really watches that much SD then they should just consider lower resolution sets. Still, I can't imagine wanting to watch much, if any SD.
post #185 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 PM

I'm sure this post will lead to a lot of angry owner responses. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just flat out disappointed. I have waited for a Sony 1080p LCD for many years and I never dreamed a Sony television would fail me. I have owned the XBR2 for over a week now and have done endless tests on it. I have even taken my tests to CC and BB and every XBR2 I have tested has failed. Maybe I'm more critical than others on this site but the PQ is unacceptable to me. For those who say "you can't do a real world test standing 2 inches from the screen" I say BS. If there is a lot of noise present that you can see clearly from 2 inches away it will effect how sharp the picture appears from 7ft away. I have tested the XBR2 with an upconverting DVD player, A Samsung Blueray disc player, a Core 2 Duo PC with 1920x1080p HDMI output, a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box, and an OTA HD antenna. I have tested at least 3 of each of these sources at each location. And everytime the XBR2 fails me. I always see tiling, I always see noise, and I never see a crystal clear through a window picture. When a static image is on the screen the XBR2 looks beautiful. But I did not get this TV to look at photographs, I got this TV to watch video. And video with a lot of movement on the screen looks like garbage. Now I'm sure some of you will say thats BS but I truly believe the reason we each see a difference must be that my vision is apparently better than those who think this picture is perfect. Every XBR2 I have seen has this problem. I used to own a Sharp 45GX6U and it never looked this bad. And now half of you are thinking I work for Sharp, but I don't. So I got rid of my Sharp the second the XBR2 became available because I had that much faith in Sony TVs. Not anymore. I'm not saying the picture in HD isn't decent it is. But it's not flawless. And I know flawless is possible because the 45GX6U had it. I believe the digital signal processor in this TV is flawed. It is clearly not as good as the one that was in the 45GX6U. I can't blame it on a certain input because I have seen flaws in the HDMI, the component, and the PC input. I have had dozens of people come look at the TV that had also seen the 45GX6U and without leading them one way or the other every person that has seen both inevitably says the 45GX6U had a sharper cleaner picture. I will be returning this TV in the next 2 weeks. I plan on trying an external Digital Signal Processor on the TV to see what kind of difference that makes. Other than that I can't help but post my disappointment. I was always the first one to say Sony TVs were the best TVs out there. After owning this XBR2 I can't say that anymore.
post #186 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theviceman View Post

I just got the 46xbr2 and connected my 360 using monster cables, the gamelink and the fiber optic digital, I plugged everything in and the picture is on but I ha ve no sound. Which settings do I need to mess with?

Secondly, the letters on screen appear a bit blurry? Is this the "halo" effect and if so what setting do I need to mess with to fix this?

Oh, and unrelated I can't get my cox cable box to work with the TV via HDMI or component. Not one minute of use yet....

The TV doesn't have optical in. Where did you plug the optical cable to?

For 360, did you set the output to 1080i? This should be set in the xbox dashboard: System->Console Settings

What cable box model do you have from cox?
post #187 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 06:05 PM
wwc

I recently purchased the 46XBR2, and wanted to pose a couple of questions to the other owners.

1) Of note, I thought all XBRs were made in Japan. Apparently not, as my set is made in Mexico. Same for XBR3?

2) Using the digital test images by J. Vincent, how many dead or stuck pixels are considered acceptable? It's inconceivable to have zero dead/ stuck pixels.

3) Why is the Sony extended warranty so much cheaper than those from Circuit City or Best Buy? Are the coverages similar?

Thanks, in advance.
post #188 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewScott View Post

I'm sure this post will lead to a lot of angry owner responses. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just flat out disappointed.

That's too bad. Best of luck with whatever set you end up with.
post #189 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:

I'm sure this post will lead to a lot of angry owner responses. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just flat out disappointed. I have waited for a Sony 1080p LCD for many years and I never dreamed a Sony television would fail me....

Wow, I can't even fathom what you're talking about... Maybe my vision is like Mr. Magoo, Maybe my standards are low, but on my end-- I get the Looking through a Window effect on HD for sure.

I hope you find what you're looking for-- let us know if you find it.
post #190 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I'm sure this post will lead to a lot of angry owner responses. I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just flat out disappointed. I have waited for a Sony 1080p LCD for many years and I never dreamed a Sony television would fail me. I have owned the XBR2 for over a week now and have done endless tests on it. I have even taken my tests to CC and BB and every XBR2 I have tested has failed. Maybe I'm more critical than others on this site but the PQ is unacceptable to me. For those who say "you can't do a real world test standing 2 inches from the screen" I say BS. If there is a lot of noise present that you can see clearly from 2 inches away it will effect how sharp the picture appears from 7ft away. I have tested the XBR2 with an upconverting DVD player, A Samsung Blueray disc player, a Core 2 Duo PC with 1920x1080p HDMI output, a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box, and an OTA HD antenna. I have tested at least 3 of each of these sources at each location. And everytime the XBR2 fails me. I always see tiling, I always see noise, and I never see a crystal clear through a window picture. When a static image is on the screen the XBR2 looks beautiful. But I did not get this TV to look at photographs, I got this TV to watch video. And video with a lot of movement on the screen looks like garbage. Now I'm sure some of you will say thats BS but I truly believe the reason we each see a difference must be that my vision is apparently better than those who think this picture is perfect. Every XBR2 I have seen has this problem. I used to own a Sharp 45GX6U and it never looked this bad. And now half of you are thinking I work for Sharp, but I don't. So I got rid of my Sharp the second the XBR2 became available because I had that much faith in Sony TVs. Not anymore. I'm not saying the picture in HD isn't decent it is. But it's not flawless. And I know flawless is possible because the 45GX6U had it. I believe the digital signal processor in this TV is flawed. It is clearly not as good as the one that was in the 45GX6U. I can't blame it on a certain input because I have seen flaws in the HDMI, the component, and the PC input. I have had dozens of people come look at the TV that had also seen the 45GX6U and without leading them one way or the other every person that has seen both inevitably says the 45GX6U had a sharper cleaner picture. I will be returning this TV in the next 2 weeks. I plan on trying an external Digital Signal Processor on the TV to see what kind of difference that makes. Other than that I can't help but post my disappointment. I was always the first one to say Sony TVs were the best TVs out there. After owning this XBR2 I can't say that anymore.

which is better xbr1 or xbr2? i am confused?
post #191 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navjeet View Post

which is better xbr1 or xbr2? i am confused?

Specwise and by a lot of opinions, the XBR2 is better. However, some people have been having problems with the XBR2 and that's when you're seeing the XBR1 is better.
post #192 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copybeaver View Post

Specwise and by a lot of opinions, the XBR2 is better. However, some people have been having problems with the XBR2 and that's when you're seeing the XBR1 is better.

now i am really confused , waited for the xbr2, have been tvless for 2 months,sold my xbr crt (200 pounds) considered buying the panasonic px60u plasma was skeptical because of burn in and the radiation that plasmas emit, then thought of the white samsung 4052 lcd bought it and then returned it at BB in hope of getting a LCD XBR. had my eyes on XBR1 decided to wait on XBR2 and now the reviews for xbr2 are mixed. Any other good LCDs in 40 inch range? should i go back to plasma since lcds still have to get their kinks out or should i just wait? does xbr2 really suck?
post #193 of 3416 Old 08-20-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navjeet View Post

now i am really confused , waited for the xbr2, have been tvless for 2 months,sold my xbr crt (200 pounds) considered buying the panasonic px60u plasma was skeptical because of burn in and the radiation that plasmas emit, then thought of the white samsung 4052 lcd bought it and then returned it at BB in hope of getting a LCD XBR. had my eyes on XBR1 decided to wait on XBR2 and now the reviews for xbr2 are mixed. Any other good LCDs in 40 inch range? should i go back to plasma since lcds still have to get their kinks out or should i just wait? does xbr2 really suck?

well.. this is for the owners to discuss their tvs they own. Seeing as how you and I aren't owners, you can ask the question in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&goto=lastpost
post #194 of 3416 Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 AM

Anybody else have problems connecting their PC (Windows XP Home) to their XBR2 via HD15 cable into RGB input? I get nothing. Do I need to set up something before I do? A certain video card? Shouldn't this be like a regular monitor (plug and play)?
post #195 of 3416 Old 08-21-2006, 06:29 PM

** Originally posted in Official XBR Thread **

Just got my 40" XBR2 this morning. To summarize: simply amazing!

My previous set is a year old Sharp 37d5u and I've enjoyed using it. The XBR2 is only slightly better, in my opinion. Maybe the Sharp was a great set to begin with.

First off, I tested the Full Pixel mode using a MacBook Pro thru HDMI, and I think this is where the XBR2 really shines. The added resolution made a huge improvement. But it still can't match my 30" Apple Cinema display.

Although I won't be watching a lot of SD on it, I was curious to know how this set performs. After reading several posts on underwhelming SD quality, I got a little worried. To my surprise, it looked quite acceptable. SD on my Sharp looked better by a very small margin.

I haven't tested this set with a PS2 or XBOX360 yet. If it performs as well as my Sharp, then I'll be a happy gamer. I plan to test them after the start-of-semester rush has settled. Looking forward to the PS3 and Sony Blu-ray player, which are a big part of my decision to buy this set.

I'm happy to report that I found absolutely no dead/stuck pixels. It did take me a while to change the picture settings to a more acceptable level.

So far, I'm very satisfied with this set. My GF thinks the XBR2 looks fantastic. We were at a SonyStyle store, and when I saw her smile while looking at the set, I knew this was it.

Now, to find that matching HT system. Infinity, Niles, or B&W... we'll see.
post #196 of 3416 Old 08-21-2006, 10:15 PM

I thought VGA accepts 1:1 pixel mapping.

MacBook Pro thru HDMI looked great. But noticed a slight overscan using the VGA input. I could only see about half of the Dock in OS X.

Not a big problem at all, since I don't plan on using VGA. It's HDMI or nothing...
post #197 of 3416 Old 08-21-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:

I have posted this on the other XBR thread but I would like owner opinions...

Before I set off a firestorm of criticism with this pic "IT'S YOUR CABLE BOX STUPID!" kind of comments. This issue happens with my DVD player and with my Xbox. It does not appear to happen through the PC Input. So NO IT IS NOT MY CABLE BOX.

After taking 20-30 pictures I just happened to catch a screenshot when the camera was panning. Any kind of movement on the screen causes this artifacting and tiling effect. Again not just when watching cable.

It is most prevalent through the HDMI connections, though it does happen through Component with my XBOX.

This picture is an extreme example it does not look like this all the time only during a shot with a lot of movement. The rest of the time it looks like this only partially.

Any way you look at it it is unwatchable and unacceptable. I believe some of these TVs may be shipping out defective.

Incidentally due to the 800x600 limitation of the upload pic the problem is not as clear. You can still see it but it is not as dramatic.

I would love to hear responses but please no attacks. I love Sony TV's and I have waited a long time for this one and am extremely disappointed. If it can be corrected I will be thrilled. If I replace it and it works fine I will be thrilled. But after reading this forum I dont have much hope.

Incidentally this shot was taken with Custom settings and all the correcting DRC and NR turned off. It is even more obvious with these settings turned on.

Ok AndrewScott, I'm a believer.

So tonight, I tried to hook up a brand new HR10 HD-DVR. I hooked it up through RGB components. I turned it to Discovery HD, and everytime the picture panned, I would get the blockiness. Then as soon as the picture stayed still, the picture would be come fine and detailed again. It did this at 720x/1080i...less prevalent at 1080i. I have my DvD player hooked up through my A/V Receiver, also hooked up to the TV via RGB. Same thing, DVD's would get blocky sometimes.

I haven't tried HDMI yet, but I switched to S-Video, which the HDVR would only output the signal at 480i and there was no blocking at all. No blocking through the A/V Receiver and DVD player either.

I'm going to try only HDMI as soon as my Oppo971 arrives and see if that changes things.
post #198 of 3416 Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsindogg View Post

Ok AndrewScott, I'm a believer.

So tonight, I tried to hook up a brand new HR10 HD-DVR. I hooked it up through RGB components. I turned it to Discovery HD, and everytime the picture panned, I would get the blockiness. Then as soon as the picture stayed still, the picture would be come fine and detailed again. It did this at 720x/1080i...less prevalent at 1080i. I have my DvD player hooked up through my A/V Receiver, also hooked up to the TV via RGB. Same thing, DVD's would get blocky sometimes.

I haven't tried HDMI yet, but I switched to S-Video, which the HDVR would only output the signal at 480i and there was no blocking at all. No blocking through the A/V Receiver and DVD player either.

I'm going to try only HDMI as soon as my Oppo971 arrives and see if that changes things.

GASP!
Are we a step closer to tracking down what ails poor AndrewScott's XBR2 situation?!

For AndrewScott's sake and for help (maybe) getting other folks to troubleshoot, you might consider posting in the "other" thread also...
post #199 of 3416 Old 08-21-2006, 11:19 PM

Has anyone successfully removed the bezel? I'm curious to see how the set looks without it. Everytime I make an attempt, it seems like the panel and glass will fall apart.
post #200 of 3416 Old 08-21-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:

AndrewScott,

First of all, thank you for all of the research you have done on this set. Actually, a few days before you posted your first post about this problem, and before I was to purchased the XBR, I saw firsthand the XBR2 and also had a similar impression (during transitions, the set would seem to get pixelated with very large square pixels). I thought it was something having to do with the compression algorithm, and the SonyStyle sales person agreed with me that it had something to do with the compression. Given that you've seen the problem on so many sets, and that a few others have seen it as well, and that I myself noticed it (but didn't originally think it was the sets fault), I think there is something wrong with this model.

I think the *key* issue is that the problem occurs *only* during transitions. If other readers of this thread could look at HD input and during brief moments of large transitions, do they see this distortion (similar to the picture that AndrewScott originally posted). For example, I saw it only during times when the scene would change. It would last perhaps only about 250ms or so. Do other owners of this set not see these artifacts at all?

The next question is, does Sony acknowledge that this is a problem at all? Have you called Sony, someone knowledable, to see if they agree with your assessment. Might it be a software problem (so that with an appropriate software patch, the problem will go away)? Is there anyone here reading this from Sony? I suspect that if Sony doesn't at least address this issue, they are going to loose quite a few sales (and gain quite a few returns). On the other hand, if it only requires a down-loadable software patch (which is quite possible), then this might not be a big deal.

Thanks!
post #201 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 12:07 AM

Just wanted to chime in on this set... I've only had mine for a few days now, but I love it! The picture is absolutely stunning. I've been especially blown away by the details on animals and plants on Discovery HD. The HD football I've watched has been pretty good too.

Yes, I have noticed some macro-blocking. But to my eyes it is only really noticable on bright fade-ins and doesn't detract much from the experience.

Then again, I'll also keep watching to see if any updates or setting changes turn up that might reduce the blocking...that would make the set perfect.

Just my .02.
post #202 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 06:51 AM

I know this is the XBR thread, but the Sharps have been mentioned in comparison to the XBR.

What is the difference between the Sharp LC-45GX6U the is sold and the model LC-40C45U that is sold at Costco ?

I am trying to convince myself to get the XBR but have not really seen the Sharp TV up close and personal.

I DID see the XBR2 at BB and I thought in general, the PQ was good, but I am also still bothered by blurring on fast motion on the screen.

If they ALL do it, than the XBR will be the choice.

Thanks, Tim
post #203 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

What is the difference between the Sharp LC-45GX6U the is sold and the model LC-40C45U that is sold at Costco ?

The Sharp LC-45GX6U was introduced approx. two years ago, when LCD's were nowhere near as advanced or cheap as they are now. It has an undocumented feature that allows 1080p input directly into the back of the panel (bypassing the media box) but the blacks... well, the blacks! Here are two reviews (keep in mind the scores and discussions are dated by now): http://reviews.cnet.com/Sharp_LC_45G...0898685-2.html and http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1865475,00.asp. I believe Westa and Suzook own this HDTV and they swear that it's still one of the better LCD's in the market. Back then it was worth like $8,000 but today they're much, much cheaper (though it's rare to find a new unit because they're basically discontinued).

The LC-40C45U is a newer line of Sharp LCD's that have much better contrast ratios (1,200:1) but with 720p resolution. If you're not in the market for a 1080p this sounds like a pretty good HDTV for the money.
post #204 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabakahn View Post

Just wanted to chime in on this set... I've only had mine for a few days now, but I love it! The picture is absolutely stunning. I've been especially blown away by the details on animals and plants on Discovery HD. The HD football I've watched has been pretty good too.

Yes, I have noticed some macro-blocking. But to my eyes it is only really noticable on bright fade-ins and doesn't detract much from the experience.

Then again, I'll also keep watching to see if any updates or setting changes turn up that might reduce the blocking...that would make the set perfect.

Just my .02.

Hey Sabakahn, what's your setup, and how is your video connected?
post #205 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 07:34 AM

dad1153,

Thanks for the info....

I "do" want a 1080p unit. It seems like many mfg are starting to pump them out, so I might as well get one and try to stay ahead of the obsolesence curve as much as possible.

Tim
post #206 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 AM

Am I in the minority here...I think that the picture is amazing, I see no problems of what Andrew Scott has mentioned. My set was manufactured in Mexico (could this be the reason). I also have my hookups for cable through the DVI-HDMI and even SD looks great (not as good as my old sony wega CRT, but close) Xbox 360 looks AMAZING through the HD cables that Microsoft provided, I see no blur or artifacts at all with any of my games.

I don't want to seem like I'm rubbing it in, but I just wanted to let people out there know that this set is truly a winner! Also, in case anyone was wondering, I found no dead/stuck pixels either.
post #207 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 11:40 AM

Ok, I'm back on the XBR2 bandwagon. I became so consumed with the thought that I had to return this LCD and I'd be stuck with my old 27" SD again, that I went home during lunch to play with my system.

I unplugged everything:

A/V System - Panasonic SA-XR70
DVR - DirecTivo HD10-250
DVD Player - Toshiba SD100

When I got the macro blocking during motion scenes, my set up was component from the DVR and DVD to the A/V, and component to the TV.

So after unplugging everything, I connected the components directly to the Sony XBR2 on Input 5. Both DVR and DVD looked amazing, no macro blocking at all...I was kind of in a hurry so that's all I was really looking for (being my lunch hour and all).

Next I tried HDMI on the DVR, and no macro blocking either. But I think the picture from the component input looked better.

So, based on the what I did, I'm going to say the culprit was the SA-XR70 when trying to pass through component input.

Kinda sucks that I might have to input video directly to the TV and not through the receiver because cycling through all the difference video inputs on the Sony is time consuming, where I loved just switching sources fromt he A/V receiver.

I'm planning to recreate the macro blocking and takeing pictures/video with my digital camera (when I find it). Then comparing it to the direct feed to the Sony. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.
post #208 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Does anyone have the XBR hooked up through a E* DVR 622 and how does it look. I have seen that their having HDMI issuse with the 622 and just wondering if any XBR2 users have that connection and is it working? Some of the issues appear to be software related and some are solder related for the actual connection.

If so - what are your connection settings - 720/1080i ? Thanks!
post #209 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsindogg View Post

Kinda sucks that I might have to input video directly to the TV and not through the receiver because cycling through all the difference video inputs on the Sony is time consuming, where I loved just switching sources fromt he A/V receiver.

go in the setup menu and select label video inputs and put SKIP for the inputs you don't use.
it's a good thing i will only be using 2 inputs
post #210 of 3416 Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 PM

I have seen the xb2 46" at a local CC it was being fed HD signal that was shared among a handful of other HDTVs. Despite the image being sharp as can be I noticed a lot of "tiles" during fast movements and scene transitions. Whats up with that??!!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 46xbr2 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page