Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3415 Old 08-06-2006, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was told I have the honors of starting this thread. My technical knowledge and lingo is hardly as polished as the rest of you. But it doesn't take a 'techie' to see that this set is the real deal.

My xbr2 showed up yesterday morning (Best Buy) and have spent some time confirming information for everyone.

Everything you've been hearing about the Black-levels are 100% true. This LCD has the best black levels currently available. Nothing else out there holds a candle to the deep blacks this LCD can produce. This set is a monster!

Response times are among the best as well. They say 8 ms, but I think its more like 5-6ms. I couldn't spot it. There are only a few areas any kind of blurring was evident, and it was under the strictest most taxing tests. Sports are going to be a dream on this LCD.

I'm sure more and more of you guys will start recieving your sets monday, and can answer some of the real specific questions about 1:1 pixels and such... but this tv preforms where most LCD's fail. Response Time and Black levels.

like no other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3415 Old 08-06-2006, 08:12 AM

Please post some pictures when you get a chance!
post #3 of 3415 Old 08-06-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Yeah, show us some pictures if you can. I'd love to see what the US version looks like.

Scott, if you want even better black levels, expirement with the Power Saving function. Not only does it reduce the power consumption but it also dims the backlight a little nad gives you a more realistic picture (I've found).

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest.co.uk
post #4 of 3415 Old 08-13-2006, 03:35 PM

Can all owners start chiming in on what their settings are for each input (Cable/sat/OTA, DVD, gaming, etc.)? We're very pleased with our set so far, but still interested in seeing what everyone is using regarding settings.

Edit - also, please post your viewing distance.
post #5 of 3415 Old 08-13-2006, 06:44 PM

I'd lalso like to hear everyone's setting on their sets. Right now I'm having trouble adjusting mines.
post #6 of 3415 Old 08-13-2006, 06:46 PM

I checked the settings in CC and all of the settings are set to max, I know this can't be right so I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.
post #7 of 3415 Old 08-13-2006, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

How are you existing owners liking your TV after the initial wow factor? Still awesome? Not as cool after the initial sensation has worn off? How long have you been watching it?

Scott, you've been the oldest owner that we know of, still as awesome as it was when you first got it? Or are there things you are starting to dislike? Performance as good, better, or worse from when you first started to judge the TV.
post #8 of 3415 Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 PM

Is anyone else not too impressed with DRC 2.5? I have actually turned it off on all inputs. I notice "haloing" when it is on, especially watching DVD's. What is everyone else's take? Another question, is what do you think of SD? I'm somewhat disappointed, but then have to remember that blowing up a crappy image just gives you a bigger crappy image.

Who's your daddy?
post #9 of 3415 Old 08-13-2006, 08:56 PM

I'm not happy either. I'd like to get a run down of everyones settings. I'm having trouble getting a good picture.
post #10 of 3415 Old 08-13-2006, 09:28 PM

We've had our 46XBR2 for a full week now (Monday at noon). First impression, was that SD wasn't too bad, definitely watchable. My wife thought it was just fine but after a half hour aske why we always saw the bars on the sides. I said, "Here's why. . ." and switched to an HD channel. Oh yeah!

The first disappointment was Friday watching football on CBS local. There was serious macroblocking (compression artifacts) on fast moion and pans. My modest knowledge make me suspect a deficient signal is the culprit. The game on NBC todayshowed less severe symptoms. (I'm investigating whether satellite would be better.)

I have tinkered with DRC. I think it has improved my 480i cable signal. I've set both Reality and Clarity (?) to values about 20% higher than default. DRC did not seem to affect the HD inputs enough to warrent a change. (You can set these DRC parameters independently for each input resolution- a pleasant surprise, I don't believe stated in the manual).

I'm not sure if DRC helps DVD input. With an older DVD (Blade Runner), turning off DRC seemed to look better. However, recent DVD's have looked better so I'll persue the usefulness of DRC with DVD more later.

My first generation G4 Mac laptop (400 MHz) connected immediately. (Unfortunately the graphics machinery was only able to crank out thousands of colors.)

We're still both enthusiastic about our XBR (waiting for the dust to settle on hi-def DVD). Sure I wish SD were better but I don't think another TV is going to do such a better job that I rue buying the Sony. (I think the current problem with SD is that it's just not HD.)

Byrne
post #11 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 07:30 AM

Im not a new owner yet, I will be in about a week.

With regards to some people not liking their picture, have you considered paying someone to have it calibrated? After spending $4K on a tv, a few hundred extra to get the picture perfect may not be a bad investment.
post #12 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 07:51 AM

I got mine a couple days ago and I am really impressed. I also am somewhat concerned about possible artifacting during sporting events (and text scrolling at the bottom of the screen). After hooking my computer up and running it at 1920x1080 I was absolutely floored. The picture was unreal, and I couldnt be more pleased. All in all know I made the right decision with this TV
post #13 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM

There seems to ba a lot of debate about which method of connecting an Xbox 360 to an HD set (VGA or Component) is better... My 46" XBR2 is being delivered tomorrow and I was wondering if any current XBR2 owners could advise me either on which is best or let me know which connection you're using and comments on the quality. Thanks.
post #14 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmzee View Post

There seems to ba a lot of debate about which method of connecting an Xbox 360 to an HD set (VGA or Component) is better... My 46" XBR2 is being delivered tomorrow and I was wondering if any current XBR2 owners could advise me either on which is best or let me know which connection you're using and comments on the quality. Thanks.

I don't think it really matters. Both are Analog connections, right?
post #15 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DIRK View Post

Im not a new owner yet, I will be in about a week.

With regards to some people not liking their picture, have you considered paying someone to have it calibrated? After spending $4K on a tv, a few hundred extra to get the picture perfect may not be a bad investment.

I am having mine calibrated the last week in September. The person who does it rotates his services every month between the New England states and I have some home remodeling going on the last week of August, so September it is.

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #16 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwong View Post

How are you existing owners liking your TV after the initial wow factor? Still awesome? Not as cool after the initial sensation has worn off? How long have you been watching it?

Scott, you've been the oldest owner that we know of, still as awesome as it was when you first got it? Or are there things you are starting to dislike? Performance as good, better, or worse from when you first started to judge the TV.

I've now spent a week with my set. Still just as impressed with the PQ as I was initially.

But there are a few weak spots I've come to accept (some minor- to midsize complaints):

The cons:
1). SD when hooked up through a cable looks decsent at best. Digital cable looks much better, but just jacking in the old analog cable didn't look so hot. On a clean broadcast, things look great, but there was some artifacting on some dirty

2). Freeze button on the set doesn't freeze the whole screen. It pauses a frame, and scales it down to half screen size, splitting the screen to keep the live feed running. Its no good for capturing photo's, or using your tv as a painting at a party.

3). Set puts out some warm air. Not hot air, just some warm air. It can affect the tempature in a small room.

The Pros:
1). Everything else
post #17 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

Is anyone else not too impressed with DRC 2.5? I have actually turned it off on all inputs. I notice "haloing" when it is on, especially watching DVD's. What is everyone else's take? Another question, is what do you think of SD? I'm somewhat disappointed, but then have to remember that blowing up a crappy image just gives you a bigger crappy image.

I don't care for the DRC either.
I turned it off on everything.
post #18 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientificmapp View Post

I'm not happy either. I'd like to get a run down of everyones settings. I'm having trouble getting a good picture.

I am having trouble seeing anyone flatout unhappy with this set. A good picture for what: SD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD-dvd, 360 ???

This is my personal favorite LCD in existance and the only set that comes close for me is the high-end Samsung. I just don't see what more you might be looking for in an LCD.

Standard Definition is about the only thing anyone could argue about, but hardly defines this set.
post #19 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmzee View Post

Both preform! I felt that the VGA washed out the colors a little bit, but the trade-off was some extra sharpness the VGA provided. Its hard to say which is superior, its that close... you'll just have to take a look for yourself on those.

JUST DON'T FORGET:
**Gamemode = on**
post #20 of 3415 Old 08-14-2006, 03:23 PM

Thanks Scott,

I promise to remember Game mode-- If it's that close, I'll just go with the Component cable that I bought before I realized there was a VGA one available-- as long as it doesn't have any influence on Scaling, etc.

holmzee

BTW disregard Previous PM
post #21 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 07:11 AM

i'm thinking about purchasing one of these, but i'm still a little hesitant. i had been holding out for the new 52" sharp, but it appears that it does not have a dvi connection, which is one of my requirements.

anyone here live in manhattan and know where i can view one of these properly calibrated? i went over to best buy on 23rd, but they didn't have it on display. the circuit city in union square had it, but i really feel that the picture looked like crap. they were showing discovery hd, which is supposed to be one of the best, but i thought the picture was too bright and the skin tones looked to washed out.

it's completely possible the tv wasn't calibrated properly and the signal was probably being split between all the tvs it was sitting with. the sales guy also didn't seem to interested in speaking w/ me and putting on a dvd, etc so i could get a better feel for the unit.

given that i'm most likely to purchase one of these from a local store to make my life easier in the event i need to return it etc, if anyone has any local recommendations, please pass it along.
post #22 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I found a review of the Sony BRAVIA KDL-46XBR2 FYI.

By the way, I have owned a Pioneer Elite Pro-1130HD 50" plasma for about 4 months and am still lovin it with no motion blur or artifacting problems.

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/fl.../806sonykdl46/
post #23 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 09:29 AM

hey, just curious (not pushy) if there was any chance of getting some more pics of this set in action?? it seems that the performance of most TVs cant truly be measured by what we see in stores...it's the home sources where things really pop!
post #24 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 11:09 AM

On Sunday while watching Nascar on NBC HD each time they went to a 4:3 commercial when they switched back to widescreen HD I would get the HD picture in 4:3, the stb also rebooted itself a couple of times. By changing to another HD channel ( Discovery) the picture would revert back to the widescreen HD image. I was using the DVI output with a DVI to HDMI cable, set to "auto dvi", ( My SA3250HD stb does not have HDMI) so I switched to the component output (set to passthrough) of the STB and this was no longer an issue. I'm betting that it is the cable box not the TV that is causing this. I'm thinking that the cable boxes that the cable companies use have something to be desired in the compatability and PQ and hopefully we'll see a new generation of these boxes in the near future. I'll bet the XBR2 is capable of better quality than the current generation of stb's pass. I think this is where we need to go next for the next step up in PQ.

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #25 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 04:12 PM

I have posted this same issue in the other XBR2 thread also. I am looking for responses to it from other XBR2 owners.

I would like to preface this post with explaining I have always loved Sony products. In particular Sony TVs. I have always believed Sony televisions to be the best tvs on the market. Almost 2 years ago I purchased my first LCD TV. A Sharp 45GX6U. I had previously been the owner of a Sony 36XBR450 CRT tv and had an enormously hard time giving that up. But I decided I wanted to purchase a 1080p television. The Sharp 45GX6U was a beautiful set but you had to bypass the AVC box in order to run 1080p into it. Because of this I eagerly awaited the release of a Sony 1080p LCD TV. When the 46XBR2/3 was announced I sold my 45GX6U and ordered the Sony.

I have now for the past 24 hours been an owner of a brand new 46XBR2. And sadly it has been a major disappointment. Maybe it's my fault, maybe I have set the TV up improperly, or maybe this set is defective, but after hours and hours of tweaking I do not believe so.

Again, I must stress that it almost pains me to speak badly of a Sony TV since I have NEVER had a problem with one. But this is completely unacceptable. And if no one can tell me what I have done wrong I would HIGHLY recommend against this television.

The problem I have with this television, and maybe I just have a defective one, is that I see the compression of the digital image on everything. Whether through my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR with HDMI connection or my Panasonic S97 upconverting DVD player through HDMI or my XBOX connected through Component Video cables I see the lines and boxes within the compressed image. No matter what settings the TV is set to DRC on/off, Noise Reduction on/off, or Custom settings I never see a smooth image.

I had been using this exact setup with my 45GX6U and the picture on that TV looked as though you were looking through a window. It was beautiful. Even my wife who never complains about PQ has said the image looks terrible on the XBR2 compared to the Sharp.

Has anyone else hooked this TV up with similar connections and not seen this problem? Any recommendations on how to smooth the compression boxes out of the image. THe color and black levels look great but without a smooth image all of that is pointless.
post #26 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 04:53 PM

I also have a SA8300HD and had issues in the beginning. First, do an initial setup by holding down the info and guide buttons at the same time. Set your output modes to 1080i and 480i. Then, with the box on hit the settings button twice and set the output to either pass through or DVI/HDMI. If this is not set correctly, your picture will stink. One other note, you could have a bad cable box. I did, the HDMI port was bad, resulting in alot of artifact and motion blur. I'd have to say, though, with all of your inputs looking bad that it sounds like you have a defective set, something isn't right.

Who's your daddy?
post #27 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna5 View Post

On Sunday while watching Nascar on NBC HD each time they went to a 4:3 commercial when they switched back to widescreen HD I would get the HD picture in 4:3, the stb also rebooted itself a couple of times. By changing to another HD channel ( Discovery) the picture would revert back to the widescreen HD image. I was using the DVI output with a DVI to HDMI cable, set to "auto dvi", ( My SA3250HD stb does not have HDMI) so I switched to the component output (set to passthrough) of the STB and this was no longer an issue. I'm betting that it is the cable box not the TV that is causing this. I'm thinking that the cable boxes that the cable companies use have something to be desired in the compatability and PQ and hopefully we'll see a new generation of these boxes in the near future. I'll bet the XBR2 is capable of better quality than the current generation of stb's pass. I think this is where we need to go next for the next step up in PQ.

It's your cable box, I had the same issue with that box on my panny plasma.

Who's your daddy?
post #28 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdish69 View Post

I also have a SA8300HD and had issues in the beginning. First, do an initial setup by holding down the info and guide buttons at the same time. Set your output modes to 1080i and 480i. Then, with the box on hit the settings button twice and set the output to either pass through or DVI/HDMI. If this is not set correctly, your picture will stink. One other note, you could have a bad cable box. I did, the HDMI port was bad, resulting in alot of artifact and motion blur. I'd have to say, though, with all of your inputs looking bad that it sounds like you have a defective set, something isn't right.

I tried holding down the info and guide buttons on the box at the same time and nothing happened. Not sure where you set the output to pass through or DVI/HDMI. I have the SA 8300 HD DVR is that the box you are talking about?

That may clean up the cable a little bit but I have this problem with DVDs also and the Xbox. The Sharp 45GX6U I had never had a problem with this exact same equipment.

No one else is getting an enormous amount artifacting with their HD images?
post #29 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 05:27 PM

no, not at all. In fact, I replaced a 42" HD panny plasma (that I am handing down to the in-laws). I almost wet my pants when I saw the sony's HD image. The panny it replaced doesn't even come close in terms of PQ. Back to the cable box. Make sure you do this with the box turned off. Then with the cable box on hit settings twice and go to "set picture format."

Who's your daddy?
post #30 of 3415 Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Are we talking about the same cable box? I have hit the guide and info buttons at the same time with the box off and on and nothing happens. When I hit the settings button twice with the cable box on it opens and closes settings. I dont get anything close to set picture format. I am using the SA 8300HD DVR.

Any other suggestions?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kds R70xbr2 70 Inch Sxrd Xbr Rear Projection Hdtv , Sony Bravia Xbr Series Kdl 46xbr2 46 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page