LCD's in 2007? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-07-2006, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interesting in purchasing a 46-52" LCD. I'm wondering what kinds of technological developments and changes in price I can expect if I wait a year or so. What do you think will be the big differences between the models offered today and the models available, say, late in 2007? I keep hearing about LED backlighting as the next big advance in LCD technology -- is that expected to be widely available in larger LCD panels a year from now, and at what kind of price?

Thanks for any informed predictions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 AM

I think the biggest change will be the adoption of HDMI 1.3. Not sure how much of a difference this will make, especially since it has been confirmed that HDMI 1.3 is not necessary for 1080p. Still, we are told to start expecting sets with this feature in late 2006. More often than not that sort of talk translates to early 2007.

Certainly there will be more sets available with 1920x1080 native resolution. Already seeing the evidence of that. I used to think we were waiting on HDMI 1.3 for this, but as you read earlier it is not necessary for 1080p as previously thought.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I would expect improvement in the areas LCDs are weak in - SD, motion and black levels. VPs like HQV for SD ( and maybe LetItWave.) VPs doing motion adaptation, 120Hz, interpolation,...

HD-DVD is dead, so now I'm a Gary McCoy fanboy.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We'll see a large shift to LED backlight starting next year. This is also going to slow or even halt the price drops we've been seeing for years now. Looking at the price trends, this fall is actually a pretty good time to buy an LCD set if you want one. Prices won't fall much more nex t year.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
LCD pricing currently benefits from the huge number of LCD computer monitors produced that share a significant amount of technology with LCD TVs. If LCD TVs depart from the technology used by computer monitors, I would expect prices to at least hold, if not rise.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Old 08-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
LCD pricing currently benefits from the huge number of LCD computer monitors produced that share a significant amount of technology with LCD TVs. If LCD TVs depart from the technology used by computer monitors, I would expect prices to at least hold, if not rise.
In the history of television prices have NEVER risen for the same technology. Prices will continue to fall on LCDs and Plasmas. I'm a conservative guy but I'd bet the farm on it (Ok, I don't have a farm but you get the idea). ;)
Old 08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

1920x1080p 60Hz, 120Hz
HDMI 1.3, multiple inputs
LED Backlighting
Larger Sets with wide viewing angles
Lower costs

Think it will take 3 years to make those common place, but it seems that is the future.
LED 1080p looks to have the momentum now to become next TV standard.

Test Your Display,
Tips for Large Monitor Use
: 720p, 1080p Test Patterns, Tips Just Click Here