Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 341 Old 02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could use some help answering theses questions:

1) How does SD look ? Does it have a good Scaler ?
2) Do black shades flatten out (to just black) ?
3) Are there discrete codes for inputs ? (remote control)
4) Should i spend the extra 400-700 bucks for a brand name ?? I'm willing if i don't have to compromise too much.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 341 Old 02-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakujin View Post

It is? I'm on the site right now, and no x37 naga, just the komodo crap.

Mine just came by UPS... I guess I have the Komodo...

I was expecting it to scan my cable and pick up some digital signals like my friends' tvs. They all get HD channels and digital subchannels. This Tv doesn't even indicate what type of signal is being received. All I am getting is the same thing I had on my CRT tv. Even my xbox looks lame. Setting it to widescreen changes nothing, and I can barely see the picture. Lame. [Answer: Press Source PC>>Scan Channels will find whatever digital channels are available]

I'm going to have to take this back... I'm not satisfied.

Also: The coaxial hookups are flimsy and came off immediately. I just jammed them back in, but that's not a good setup.

The volume is always too loud.
post #333 of 341 Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 PM

Is there a way to display the tv info, so I can see whether a show is in hi def or not? {answer: tv info is displayed only in DTV mode.}

I'm starting to figure this set out. To watch digital channels I have to switch to DTV settings. I seem to get a lot of digital channels, like NBATV, which is cool, but I have to remember to switch between cable/digital to see the programs I'm interested in.

That feature sucks. On my bro's tv, (I thought I was buying the same one) The digital channels are all grouped with the non digital channels. Many channels have sub channels. I think I prefer that system.

Why is my set like this?

The volume is always too loud.
post #334 of 341 Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeed View Post

I could use some help answering theses questions:

1) How does SD look ? Does it have a good Scaler ?
2) Do black shades flatten out (to just black) ?
3) Are there discrete codes for inputs ? (remote control)
4) Should i spend the extra 400-700 bucks for a brand name ?? I'm willing if i don't have to compromise too much.

Thanks!

1) The what?? and a who?
2) It looks good in my dark room, although I don't have it sitting next to a more expensive one like at a store.
3) Say what? Explain that and I can probably answer it. As I mentioned mine does not seem to work when I get on the opposite side of a 30' room.
4) I'd have to say if you have it and are willing, do it. I shopped mostly by price. The Scepter looks very good for the price. To me.
post #335 of 341 Old 04-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Is anyone using this for a HTPC via the HDMI cable cause my desktop is overhanging the screen and i was wondering if there's anyway to fix it (i tried to switch to dmt but it didn't fix it, it actually made it worse)
post #336 of 341 Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 PM

I've had this set for about 4 or 5 months now. It didnt come DOA, and the universal sound popping issues that most users are mentioning has yet to show itself on my set. Physically the unit was shipped damage free (even the outside shipping packaging was unscarred, both straps intact) and the TV itself was undamaged. Picture reproduction is fairly good, and using the custom tweaks posted by other users I was able to get my set looking comparable to more expensive brands. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT use the factory settings "Nature, Cinema" etc. They look terrible compared to taking some time to tweak it yourself. Please keep in mind this mini-review is coming from someone who has not seen a large number of high-def sets in the past for comparison.

Unfortunately I havent had the chance yet to put any HD content of any kind through the Komodo. Next month I'm getting HD cable, so hopefully I'll be able to post a followup update later. As for the the regular inputs (RCA and Component) the picture is good. Not breathtakingly amazing, but good for scaled standard definition at 480i. I also made use of the VGA port to try watching movies from my laptop. Due to difficulties with my graphics drivers (I am using an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M) I wasnt able to get the TV to scale more than 1024x728. Even at this resolution, the picture was really good. Color reproduction was better than my actual laptops LCD monitor itself. Played a bit of CS source and watched some movies this way.

That being said, there were a few issues I encountered. Surprisingly enough, most of these centered around using the VGA port. Quite different from most other posters in this thread. If i had the set running and connected my laptop, there would be an instant firmware crash on the Komodo. Meaning the remote stopped working, and the bottons located on the right side of the set would also stop working (the picture and sound would work find however). Occasionally it would only be something like the sound quitting, or the picture becoming distorted and still being able to use the remote control and side buttons. I figured out if you turned the Komodo off, then plugged the laptop in and got everything up and running then turned on the TV you wouldnt have any issues. The other issue I encountered with this set was the coax NTSC connector has become a bit loose. Indicative of poor manufacturing, but since I dont use any analog signals through NTSC coax as it is, this doesnt really affect me. Just hoping this doesnt happen to the ATSC connector as well should I decide to try to use it in the future.

I cant give a final word yet as to how I feel about this set since I havent used any HD sources up to this point, but from what I've seen so far an old saying sums it up perfectly: You get what you pay for.
post #337 of 341 Old 04-15-2007, 05:41 PM

I still have an issue with the remote. When you get more than 10' away from the TV you have to be directly in front of the sensor for it to work. 1-2 feet to the left or the right and the remote does not work. I am going to contact Scepter this coming week to see what they say.
post #338 of 341 Old 04-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorFox View Post

Great, I got my TV just about 20 min ago. Now, someone explain to me how *I* managed to get probably the ONLY Scepter Komodo that has NO tuner in it????

Call up sceptre, and they will send you the connectors....kinda lame, I know. You have to take the sticker off the hole where the connecter is.
post #339 of 341 Old 06-07-2007, 06:13 AM

So does this TV have a removable front speaker?
post #340 of 341 Old 06-07-2007, 10:11 AM

I've had the set now for almost a year and I must say that I'm extremely happy with it. As others have pointed out, the pre-set color settings are horrible, but after some tweaking, I've been able to get a really nice consistent picture. I have never experienced any of the "popping" that others have referred to. My only technical issue with this TV is that every once in a while (like maybe once a month), the set will power on and the noise of static will blast out of the speakers at an incredibly loud volume. It scares the living hell out of the dog. I shut the TV off for a second, turn it back on and the sound doesn't come back for a long time. Any of the HD programming coming out of my DVR/cable box is very clear, and my cable box has all of the nice bells and whistles of auto-selecting the resolution (so if I'm watching NBCHD, it will broadcast at 1080i and then if I switch the channel to MTV or whatever, it goes to 480i automatically), PIP and Zoom.

And now I looked at Costco, this set is only 799 bucks including delivery. How can you go wrong at that price?
post #341 of 341 Old 10-13-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothwell View Post

So does this TV have a removable front speaker?

Yes.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page