Syntax Olevia 532H BAD PQ on 480i/p sources - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 329 Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it went from one version of A33 with no change-log with another version of A33 with a change-log.

the files were definately different in size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 329 Old 01-07-2007, 11:07 PM

Here are my results with the 532H, originally had A30 firmware but upgraded to A33. I'm not getting any weird green tint or some of the issues described in here.

(Xbox 360) 720P
Componant = Great no ghosting
VGA = Great no ghosting

(PC) 1360x768 7900GT
VGA = Great with no overscan - Easy on eyes
HDMI (HDMI to DVI) = Slight overscan + Ghosting - Hard on eyes
Componant = Messed up, looks horrible.

(TV) Basic Cable hookup
Standard looks ok, little ghosting.
HD network sub channels look good, little ghosting.
post #273 of 329 Old 01-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatiub View Post

hello guys. Can you recommend me a good wall mount for this TV?

Omnimount WISHBONE...CL-M? I got it as an openbox from eBay seller: TradingCircuit (CC's eBay name). I bid less than 90 clams for it. Came out to a little over 100 clams with shipping. Sturdy; retractible swingarm; holds up to 80 lbs (for mid sized LCDs).
post #274 of 329 Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 PM

I just tried to update to the new firmware and when I did the Olevia screen came up with the blue square in the bottom left corner of the screen. It stayed like this for a long time and I looked at the flash drive in the back and the status light was blank. So the only thing I could do was turn the tv off. Now nothing happens when I try and turn the tv on. I tried redoing the flash but nothing happened. So I know I smoked the firmware... is there anything I can do?
post #275 of 329 Old 01-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Not sure if you've found a solution yet, but hopefully there's a hardware reset on this tv. I'm not exactly sure how, i'm guessing it's holding the on/off(with blue led) button for 30 secs. You might also want to check your firmware files and usb stick are not corrupted. After that try unplugging the tv, plugging it back in turning power on(in the back) and then sticking the usb in to see if it makes a difference.
post #276 of 329 Old 01-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madh83 View Post

Not sure if you've found a solution yet, but hopefully there's a hardware reset on this tv. I'm not exactly sure how, i'm guessing it's holding the on/off(with blue led) button for 30 secs. You might also want to check your firmware files and usb stick are not corrupted. After that try unplugging the tv, plugging it back in turning power on(in the back) and then sticking the usb in to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestions but no luck. Does anybody know if this is something that will be covered under the warranty?
post #277 of 329 Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Just wanted to add taht I definitely noticed the blurring on moving images with a ps2 connected to the tv. When your standing still the textures look fairly crisp, but when they starting moving textures that have details in them normally, turn into blurry/illegible things.
post #278 of 329 Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 PM

I thought there was a rule here about posting prices, but I see there have been many, many posts regarding deals on this set.

So... newegg has this set going for $520 (for refurbished 532h). That's not only a fantastic deal for a 32" 720p set, but it even has an atsc tuner.

That's too good of a price to pass up for a tv w/ high-def tuner! Mine arrives tomorrow afternoon! Wait... it's mid-night... make that THIS afternoon!

Oh, the excitement!

(Oh, first post, btw)
post #279 of 329 Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmurf View Post

I thought there was a rule here about posting prices, but I see there have been many, many posts regarding deals on this set.

So... newegg has this set going for $520 (for refurbished 532h). That's not only a fantastic deal for a 32" 720p set, but it even has an atsc tuner.

That's too good of a price to pass up for a tv w/ high-def tuner! Mine arrives tomorrow afternoon! Wait... it's mid-night... make that THIS afternoon!

Oh, the excitement!

(Oh, first post, btw)

so do you like the tv?
post #280 of 329 Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 AM

I'm watching DVDs through my Xbox 360 on 1360 x 768 resolution but there are black bars around the non widescreen movies. When I set it to 1024 x 768 the picture black bars disappear. Is there anyway you can view the movies in 1360 x 768 without the black bars? I've tried adjusting the aspect ratios and its not working?
post #281 of 329 Old 02-17-2007, 09:10 AM

This stinks! Consumer Reports (march '07) just put the 532H as one of their top picks and I was about to run out and get it. How could they not have picked up on these issues, especially after rating SD def as very good? Arghhh!
post #282 of 329 Old 02-17-2007, 11:27 PM

SD def looks great to me now. Didn't look good in the beginning but now it has "broken in" so to say for a couple of months.
post #283 of 329 Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCircuitCity View Post

SD def looks great to me now. Didn't look good in the beginning but now it has "broken in" so to say for a couple of months.

That's great to hear. I need to do a little more research, but for the price, this set's going to be hard to beat. If the SD looks good enough for regular viewing, that might be good enough for me. I'm more of a dvd watcher anyway and plan to upconvert, but the other members of the family watch all the standard stuff. Thanks for the input.
post #284 of 329 Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 PM

annnd my tv broke down...it only turns on if you turn the power off for a while and back on. Trying to reach tech support is incredibly difficult! On the plus side atleast their people are nice.
post #285 of 329 Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Ok, I just picked this tv up. I have it connected to a toshiba sd3900 progressive scan dvd player and a comcast motorola dvr box. Both are connected to a component switch box until I upgrade the dvr box (tomorrow hopefully) to the one with the hdmi out.

A few things:

Is there a way to turn off that damned blue LED? This lights up my bedroom at night like a fire!
Has there been success in getting into a service menu? I'd like to see if I can adjust the gamma...most of the other settings seem ok.
Has anyone come up with some good general settings for color/contrast/brightness et al? In some of the other forums there have been posts about this kind of thing (notably the samsung xx87/88 threads, my other tv )

Also, I can't wait to hook this thing up to HDMI. From what I've been reading and the way I'm understanding it is that it's the component input that is making the pictures look pretty bad. Or do I have that scewed? My PQ doesn't look bad, but I have been spoiled by my 1080p Samsung 5087w, so I was expecting the picture to pop out at me. I watched some King Kong on HBO HD last night and was pretty impressed, though the black levels are just not very good, which is why I'd like to adjust the gamma.

Thanks.
post #286 of 329 Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:

annnd my tv broke down...it only turns on if you turn the power off for a while and back on. Trying to reach tech support is incredibly difficult! On the plus side atleast their people are nice.

MadH83,
I'm having the exact same problem although not as frequently. Mine has done that twice, and it's only 3 days old. I did buy mine refurbished from NewEgg, so I guess I'm not terribly surprised. The bad news is that I can't returned it, so I'll be contacting the manufacturer as well. Please let us know if Olevia is going to fix it for you, and what hoops they make you jump through.

Besides the power issue I'm content with the picture quality. The SD image has slight ghosting, but at normal viewing distance you can't tell. The HD image is stellar. I'm running with firmware version: A33-5-2.A19.A10.A01.A19.
post #287 of 329 Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 PM

For those of you that missed it here's a nice review of the 532H:

https://www.avguide.com/products/product-3640/

You will need to download the pdf in the middle of page from issue #71 of "The Perfect Vision" magazine. This review was one of the primary reasons why I choose this set for my bedroom display. It's too bad that the reviewer didn't notice any ghosting in his demo unit. He actually noted that the video processing was pretty good.
post #288 of 329 Old 03-01-2007, 09:58 PM

just to post my 2 cents on this thread, like many others i picked up this tv refurbished from newegg. i have had it for about a week now. at first, before i got it, i wasn't really worried about the bad picture quality on 480i/p sources but now it is definitely there and annoying. i have an xbox 360 hooked up to it and that is my dvd player. all the movies i have for some reason the xbox does not upscale them so they run at 480p. the ghosting is VERY noticeable to me and pretty much everyone who has watched a movie on there. like everyone else is saying the hd is great and for some reason the ghosting isn't noticeable on basic cable which is in standard definition. it is only on movies on the xbox 360 at 480p and since watch a lot of movies i hope olevia can release a new firmware update and get this fixed or something....
post #289 of 329 Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrobins View Post

MadH83,
I'm having the exact same problem although not as frequently. Mine has done that twice, and it's only 3 days old. I did buy mine refurbished from NewEgg, so I guess I'm not terribly surprised. The bad news is that I can't returned it, so I'll be contacting the manufacturer as well. Please let us know if Olevia is going to fix it for you, and what hoops they make you jump through.

Besides the power issue I'm content with the picture quality. The SD image has slight ghosting, but at normal viewing distance you can't tell. The HD image is stellar. I'm running with firmware version: A33-5-2.A19.A10.A01.A19.

I've actually not noticed the blurring so much with the firmware update, before my tv broke down that is =*(.
Chrobins,
If you can avoid it don't deal with Olevia!! I had to speak with two different people over the phone just for them to start processing my replacement. This was painful because it was two different days and both times I had to wait for a very long time on the phone to reach someone. Seems like their understaffed, after they told me my order was sent to customer service nothing happened for over a week. Had to call again to customer support, whose # wasn't easily found, when I finally got to someone they disconnected me in the middle of conversation. When I finally got my UPS label mailed to me so I could send in my tv, it wasn't even a pick up label, I had to bring the tv to UPS myself, for my area this is a pain in the ass. Didn't this tv come with on site or something?? Anyway, the people there are nice enough for the most part, but they seem extremely understaffed, horrible phone system, and extremely disorganized. Did you try telling Newegg your tv was essentialy DOA? This issue usually leads to the tv to not turning on completely so it might as well be a DOA. I think if you can get a replacement that way it'd be best.
post #290 of 329 Old 03-03-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa1000 View Post

I'm watching DVDs through my Xbox 360 on 1360 x 768 resolution but there are black bars around the non widescreen movies. When I set it to 1024 x 768 the picture black bars disappear. Is there anyway you can view the movies in 1360 x 768 without the black bars? I've tried adjusting the aspect ratios and its not working?

Ive seen that on some of my older dvds. But why is there still black bars on the top and bottom of a widescreen tv when watching a widesreen dvd?
Btw Im useing a 360 at 1360x768
post #291 of 329 Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 AM

Does anyone know how to make the bars go away on the 532?
post #292 of 329 Old 03-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06wt View Post

Does anyone know how to make the bars go away on the 532?

I don't have an XBox, so I can't answer your question. But in general, I would recommend that you try to learn to accept having black bars while watching 4:3 content. This seems to be the biggest hang up for most people when they switch from a 4:3 tube TV to a widescreen TV.

Here are the main reasons why I would recommend that you keep the black bars:
1. If you try to stretch the picture to fill the screen it will distort the image, period. Some TV's do it better than others, but I haven't seen one yet that actually looks natural. 4:3 stretched wasn't how the director intended the material to be viewed, so why try to change it?
2. Using the zoom feature works O.K, but you end up cutting off the top and bottom of the picture. Not ideal especially if you are watching Sports Center and you can't read the ticker at the bottom of the screen.
3. After a while you will stop caring about the black bars; I promise. The best part is that it makes you appreciate it that much more when a widescreen or HDTV show comes on
post #293 of 329 Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Did you try telling Newegg your tv was essentialy DOA? This issue usually leads to the tv to not turning on completely so it might as well be a DOA. I think if you can get a replacement that way it'd be best.

I'm pretty sure that contacting NewEgg about a replacement would be futile. When you buy a refurbished TV from NewEgg the return policy is clearly stated during checkout. The only time that you are allowed to return the TV is if you reject shipment from UPS. In my case the box was in perfect condition, so I had no reason to reject it. The TV has only failed to turn on twice. In each case I was able to fix it by toggling the power switch on the back. It's worked fine for the last 3-4 days. I'm really torn as to whether I should contact Olevia right away about a replacement or wait until I'm closer to the end of the warranty period and see how it goes. Aside from this issue, I'm totally pleased with the set.

I did a bunch of work to try to clean up the cable signal this weekend, and the picture has improved quite a bit. The ghosting is minimal when viewing 480 content via the ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuners. I do still see minimal ghosting when viewing DVD's via 480i/p component. I have a dual boot MCE 2005\\MythTV HTPC in the family room, so I'm still debating what to use for an extender in the bedroom. Whatever I choose it must be able to up-convert to 720p, so the ghosting shouldn't be much of an issue going forward.
post #294 of 329 Old 03-04-2007, 09:21 PM

Chrobins:

Not when Im watching 4:3 when Im watching a 16:9 widesreen dvd there is still bars on the top and bottom, not the sides. Is there a setting to change that can make them go away
post #295 of 329 Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrobins View Post

I'm pretty sure that contacting NewEgg about a replacement would be futile. When you buy a refurbished TV from NewEgg the return policy is clearly stated during checkout. The only time that you are allowed to return the TV is if you reject shipment from UPS. In my case the box was in perfect condition, so I had no reason to reject it. The TV has only failed to turn on twice. In each case I was able to fix it by toggling the power switch on the back. It's worked fine for the last 3-4 days. I'm really torn as to whether I should contact Olevia right away about a replacement or wait until I'm closer to the end of the warranty period and see how it goes. Aside from this issue, I'm totally pleased with the set.

It sounds to me like a defective switch relay.Should be reletively easy/cheap to replace yourself if you have some basic electronics/soldering background.

~S!TH

"Very few high-definition TVs achieve that elusive sense of looking out a window but the Syntax-Brillian Olevia 747i is one of them delivering some of the best video images I've seen in a long time." 2007

post #296 of 329 Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06wt View Post

Chrobins:

Not when Im watching 4:3 when Im watching a 16:9 widesreen dvd there is still bars on the top and bottom, not the sides. Is there a setting to change that can make them go away

I assume that you are referring to DVD's that were shot in anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1 or 2.39:1). Most Epic movies (Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, etc) are shot in 2.35:1. When you go to the movies you are typically watching the movie at 2:35:1. This aspect ratio results in a wide and short picture. Since your TV is 16:9 or 1.78:1 you will still have black bars on the top and bottom. If you are watching a 1.85:1 movie then the back bars will be very small, and a typical HDTV show will fill the screen perfectly. Zooming is about the only thing that you can do to get rid of the bars, but if you zoom you loose part of the picture off the sides of the screen.
post #297 of 329 Old 03-05-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S!TH!NAT0R View Post

It sounds to me like a defective switch relay.Should be reletively easy/cheap to replace yourself if you have some basic electronics/soldering background.

~S!TH

I'm an Electrical Engineer, so I'm pretty sure that I could fix it. Convincing my wife to allow me to crack open the TV is another story
post #298 of 329 Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks. But i have it hooked uo with vga and the zoom option is not in the menue when useing the vga imput, its only an option with composite. One other question, I also have my pc hooked up, through a vga switch, is there any way to make the display 16.9 from a pc or is it always going to be 4.3?
post #299 of 329 Old 03-05-2007, 05:42 PM

06wt:
i noticed you said you have use your xbox 360 to watch movies. are you experiencing the same ghosting issue that people are talking about in this thread? when i watch movies on my xbox 360 is where im having the most problems with the ghosting.
post #300 of 329 Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 PM

No ghosting issues here mabey I have the new firmware from the factory, I dont know, but I have no ghosting with the 360 or with sd tv from my dishnetwork reciver. Im still waiting for the hd receiver from dish network. The 480 from the dish is a little smeared but it looks better then the oter tube tvs in the house so Im not complaining. And it can only get better with the hdmi out on the hd box.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page