Syntax Olevia 532H BAD PQ on 480i/p sources - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 329 Old 03-05-2007, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chipper what do you have the 360 set to? I have mine at 1360x768 with the hd-vga cable. I never looked at it with the composite cable, so mabey this is where your gosting is coming from. Get the vga cable its well worth it. You can even get it for cheaper, used, at game stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 329 Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 AM

06wt:
In order to make the PC output 16x9 you would need to change the video card settings to a 16x9 resolution (1366x768 for example). The problem is that this won't look very good on a standard PC monitor. So unless you get a widescreen monitor, you're probably better off leaving it at a 4x3 resolution.
post #303 of 329 Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06wt View Post

Chipper what do you have the 360 set to? I have mine at 1360x768 with the hd-vga cable. I never looked at it with the composite cable, so mabey this is where your gosting is coming from. Get the vga cable its well worth it. You can even get it for cheaper, used, at game stop.

yeah, i am just using the component cables that came with the system. i have it set to 1080i (i am not sure what resolution that is). i have heard from others that the vga cable fixes the ghosting issue like you said so i am planning on going to pick one up hopefully later today.

oh and by the way i ordered my tv on february 16th, and i registered it with olevia and tried to update my firmware and it said there was no updates available. so i am assuming i have the most up to date firmware on my tv.
post #304 of 329 Old 03-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipper_85 View Post

yeah, i am just using the component cables that came with the system. i have it set to 1080i (i am not sure what resolution that is). i have heard from others that the vga cable fixes the ghosting issue like you said so i am planning on going to pick one up hopefully later today.

oh and by the way i ordered my tv on february 16th, and i registered it with olevia and tried to update my firmware and it said there was no updates available. so i am assuming i have the most up to date firmware on my tv.

ok well i went and picked up a VGA cable for the 360 and i think it fixed both of my problems. i know it fixed the problem of ghosting with movies on this tv and i believe it is upscaling the movies to 1080i. it is not as crisp on this tv as the component HD was but i guess that is because component is newer technology. it is a small price to fix the ghosting issue because it was awful. thanks for the help. too bad i still only have basic cable still going through 480i where the ghosting isn't a noticeable but its there....
post #305 of 329 Old 03-15-2007, 05:43 PM

So I finally got my replacement tv after about a month since they said they'd replace it. I switched to a 432 instead, and it just looks a little smaller which bothers me. Its probably an illusion because the speakerplacement is different, but could someone measure the viewing area of the screen and let me know how wide it is?
post #306 of 329 Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrobins View Post

MadH83,
I'm having the exact same problem although not as frequently. Mine has done that twice, and it's only 3 days old. I did buy mine refurbished from NewEgg, so I guess I'm not terribly surprised. The bad news is that I can't returned it, so I'll be contacting the manufacturer as well. Please let us know if Olevia is going to fix it for you, and what hoops they make you jump through.

Besides the power issue I'm content with the picture quality. The SD image has slight ghosting, but at normal viewing distance you can't tell. The HD image is stellar. I'm running with firmware version: A33-5-2.A19.A10.A01.A19.

Same thing has been happening with my 532H for months now - and it appears to come and go. The symptoms have included cutting off on its own, Strobing or flashing like its between on and off, and the picture breaking up into verticle color lines. I have seen all of these occur at different times. Leaving the TV off for a while seems to fix things but is not a solution obviously. Yesterday this happened in the middle of watching "Blood Diamonds" and I think I have just about had it. On a whim - and because I wanted to finish the movie - I plugged the TV into my huge un-interrupted, voltage regulating BackUP UPS which I use for my Computers. Magically, I had no more issues the rest of the night. I suspect their is a pretty weak and pathetic power supply unit in the TV which is causing all these problems but I can't be sure. My email to tech support took over a month! to get a response by the way. Guess I will have to deal with them eventually. My TV was purchased late last summer by the way, right when they came out so this might point to a problem others will eventually also encounter unfortunately.
post #307 of 329 Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 AM

I think this is the last time I venture out to try a non-1st tier brand tv
post #308 of 329 Old 03-29-2007, 07:38 AM

Since I moved my TV to a different room I haven't had any more power supply problems. I was previously using an ancient power strip what wasn't very good. I'm not sure if it's related, but it probably worth making sure that you use a decent power strip with the 532.
post #309 of 329 Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 AM

Its a very Random and strange issue for me. I have plugged the TV into different power strips and AC outlets when the problem occurs and this does not seem to make a difference for me. Weird thing is that the TV is working fine at the moment. My gut feeling is that the TV Power supply has no tolerance for any voltage fluctuation in my home compared to every other appliance and TV I own. Is it possible that occassionally and randomly the voltage coming into my house from the power co. fluctuates just enough to cause this issue? If so, that may be why the TV worked fine when I plugged it into my heavy duty battery backup/Voltage Regulator. If this hypothesis is correct, then I think it points to a very low quality and weak power supply unit in the TV. At the moment, I'm using the TV waiting on the next black out.
post #310 of 329 Old 03-29-2007, 09:50 AM

hmmm that power supply issue is very strange. i have not had any problems like that. i have only had my tv about a month so hopefully that i never have that problem. i still have the ghosting problem with my basic cable because its a 480i. the ghosting problem on movies on the 360 has been fixed with the vga cable. i am still pretty satisfied with my purchase. i am hoping to get the new xbox 360 elite to utilize the hdmi input on the back of this tv. the only other problem i am having is i have to do a channel scan every time i want to switch back and forth from basic cable to over the air hd channels. other than that, this has been a great tv. i was a little worried because i got the refurb off new egg but like i said above it has been a great tv so far.....
post #311 of 329 Old 03-31-2007, 06:10 AM

Just to follow up. The issue occured again and this time with a pop before the set turned off. I plugged the set into my Volatage Regulated Battery backUP unit and this time it made no difference. The TV seemed to be in a state between off and on with the initial oleiva screen flashing. I guess I will have to have it replaced after all. I do hate seeing it go because when its working correctly, the color and picture are really great. I will check back here after my experience with the Olevia in-home warranty service - which was the main selling point of the 5 series to me.
post #312 of 329 Old 04-02-2007, 09:57 AM

I'm not sure if someone's already mentioned this, but could we bypass the video processing altogether if you used a component to vga converter and thereby avoiding the ghosting/afterimage issue? I know many lcds don't process the signal from vga...
post #313 of 329 Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 AM

Well, I had been planning on picking up the 527 but after reading through this whole thread I'm a bit put off! Not necessarily of Olevia but of the 5xx (minus 37+ from what I understand). I had been mainly looking at the 527 because of the in home service but, as I understand it, the ghosting issues aren't present in the 3xx series? Since I won't be using ota hd and don't plan on using the qam functionality I guess I may just end up with a 332.

It has been "confirmed" that these problems aren't present in the 332 line correct? (I can't seem to find where I saw the listing of what chips were in what sets but i seem to recall that the 332 was a pixel works chip). I know it's been asked numerous times but I haven't yet seen an answer:

What, if any, are the major differences between the pixelworks chips and the ati chips??

thanks!
post #314 of 329 Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM

Just to add some info about the ghosting issue with the 532, I received a replacement set last week for my very early(first shipping versions) of a 532 as I was having the other issues mentioned above. The replacement seems to not suffer that bad or at all from the ghosting issue when upsampling a Std Def source such as DVD or Std cable & OTA signals but unfortunately now exhibits yet another Video Flaw. Random areas of image break up, slight pixalation and re-draw issues with these same sources. At this point, I guess I will just live with it after the other issues, but my advice to anyone would be stick with a major brand.
post #315 of 329 Old 05-08-2007, 10:03 PM

Wow, I was looking to buy a 532 but this thread has really turned me off. What ever happened to the dude from the company? He said months ago they were looking into the issues then he faded away into oblevion??? I guess I'll have to look into another 32".
post #316 of 329 Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 AM

I had essentially decided on this tv - but after reading this thread I'm not going to bother. Sad really - as I found a good price on it and I was really tired of looking. I had already been burnt once (Westinghouse 32") and I'm not looking for another problem child.
post #317 of 329 Old 05-09-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey View Post

I had essentially decided on this tv - but after reading this thread I'm not going to bother. Sad really - as I found a good price on it and I was really tired of looking. I had already been burnt once (Westinghouse 32") and I'm not looking for another problem child.

Wow, since this one seemed to be flawed I was starting to look into the Westinghouse. I guess we'll both keep looking. I really love the price but part of the price is support. Sounds like you get what you pay for with this one.
post #318 of 329 Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 AM

On the Westinghouse I had a very specific problem - the machine would hard freeze randomly using the OTA ATSC tuner. Once that happened the machine would not respond to the front panel buttons or the remote. The only thing I could do was to unplug the TV. All other sources worked fine. I did a quick bit of research and found a fw others with the exact same problem. Probably a bad batch of tuners. I didn't want to deal with the hassle on a new set and returned it to BB.
post #319 of 329 Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM

The Olevia looked good but it was on HD so I didn't see the bars. I noticed this Element 32" set right next to it. Looks worth looking in to.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Speci...cation.do#tabs
post #320 of 329 Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM

Oh well, according to this site the response time is 16ms

http://www.elementelectronics.com/pa...s/flx_3210.asp
post #321 of 329 Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 PM

6 months later and still going strong!! SD cable quality could be better but hi-def sources are awesome!!
post #322 of 329 Old 06-08-2007, 06:20 AM

My 532H has been rock solid for the last 3 months. It exhibited the power supply problem initially, but now it's perfect. I'm confident that a questionable power strip contributed to the problem.

HD is beautiful and SD is fine especially from a reasonable viewing distance. If you plan to sit 4 feet from the TV then get something else. Otherwise it's fine. Great value.
post #323 of 329 Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 AM

i have had my 532H for about 4 months now and overall it has been a great for how much i paid for it. the original ghosting problems i was having with the 360 are no longer there because i bought the 360 elite and am now going through the HDMI input where the is no ghosting as it is upscaling all of my movies. i still get ghosting when i watch SD cable through the coax input but thankfully there have been no other issues with my tv. like everyone else says HD picture is fabulous and i am only getting OTA HD channels. mine was a refurb by the way but is still going strong.....
post #324 of 329 Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM

Liked: 12
Just bumping this up for a related thread!!

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #325 of 329 Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 AM

Is this still a problem with the 532H Olevia's? Their website still shows the ATI chipset but I have no idea if it is a new version of the chipset or if it is the same flawed one? I don't understand how they could still be selling a flawed tv after more than a year.
post #326 of 329 Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indolent View Post

Is this still a problem with the 532H Olevia's? Their website still shows the ATI chipset but I have no idea if it is a new version of the chipset or if it is the same flawed one? I don't understand how they could still be selling a flawed tv after more than a year.

I just got this TV for my son and was wondering if the newer ones have the same types of problems. I will be hooking it up to his PC as well as OTA HD.
post #327 of 329 Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I'm sure the processing is the same as the 232v, which we had for nearly two months. Even my Wife could see how crappy it dealt with SD compared to our other two displays (one being a 537h) and many HD sources/channels.

We returned it back to Kmart and purchased a 237-T12 from Target around BF (which was $10 more than we paid for the 232v)..

The ATI is just bad!

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #328 of 329 Old 11-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

I ordered my 532h on 11/22/07 from Target.

I'm thoroughly confused with the firmware upgrade feature of this tv.

According to the directions, I should be able to upgrade the firmware with a usb flash drive. The set appears to only have a usb-type b input. (like the one on most printers) What kind of flash drive goes into that?

Next, according to my TV, my firmware is (MDBI_AQ_532B_L_20). This does not match anything I am seeing in this forum or on the Olevia site.

One thing I noticed when I registered my TV on Olevia.com, Olevia thought my serial was for a 532h-B12. On the box, it says I have a B13.

Any ideas? Do I have a different version of this 532H?

Of course the obvious question may be, why do I need to upgrade? Everything looks great. That's not really the point. The first line is the features section listed on the box is that it is firmware upgradable. I may not need this now, but I might down the line... Any help is appreciated...
post #329 of 329 Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 PM

I think I have an answer to my question:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=947376

It appears to be a newer version of this TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page