Syntax Olevia 532H BAD PQ on 480i/p sources - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 329 Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone checked the new olevia site for a firmware update? I don't own one otherwise I'd enter my serial number to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 329 Old 09-08-2006, 06:22 PM

Is anyone else experiencing the 1080i over component "jitter" that is mentioned in the new models thread? My 532H is coming tomorrow and I am starting to get nervous.

Thanks
post #93 of 329 Old 09-08-2006, 08:00 PM

hey you get some jitter over component on the 4\\5 series. i noticed it watching "family guy" this past sunday on fox. hdmi resolves this problem though, so thats always an option. i know this is an av forum, but i didnt think the jitter thing was that big of a deal. but i understand some others may be more bothered by it then myself.
post #94 of 329 Old 09-15-2006, 08:58 AM

I purchased the 432V yesterday and should point out that I do not experience any of the the problems others have experienced when using 480i/p sources. I do know that I bought this LCD from a Office Depot store that had just gotten it in the same day, so maybe Olevia fixed the problem?

I tested a Gamcube over S-Video and a DVD player via RCA and noticed no loss in image quality or jittering compared to how they looked on my SD CRT.
post #95 of 329 Old 09-15-2006, 03:56 PM

same like i have been saying the entire time. i think those who reported the issue just had buggy sets. but no one wanted to listen lol. oh well, they are the ones stuck with the messed up sets, so alls well that ends well!
post #96 of 329 Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Try a 1080i source over Component and then see if it Jitters (this is where the problem shows itself) . I had no issues with any other resolutions or any other inputs on the 432v . I had three different devices sending 1080i to the 432v and they all jittered when using the Component connection .

I would also like to add that whatever chipset is being used in the older Olevia LT37HVS it offers superior performance over the new ATi chip that is in the 432v (other than the 1:1 mode offered in the 4 & 5 series which is great for PC use) . With the older models 480i/p is better , SDtv is better , 1080i over component has no issues and the image is superior with better black level .

------- Jason
post #97 of 329 Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 PM

I have no problem with jittering when playing my Xbox 360 over component at 1080i, and I should mention I sit about 3-4 feet form the screen. The only problem I have is figuring out which looks better, 720p or 1080i, and I'm leaning towards 1080i in the 2 games I've tried

I do get what looks like tiny horizontal lines that move about the screen a bit when I use VGA, but I suppose that could be my video card or the cable I'm using. It's not always noticeable, but a bit annoying.
post #98 of 329 Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegenigma View Post

I have no problem with jittering when playing my Xbox 360 over component at 1080i, and I should mention I sit about 3-4 feet form the screen.

Nice , then it is possible that Syntax fixed the jitter issue with 1080i . Did you try both Component inputs with 1080i (it is possible that only one of the inputs is to blame) ? Would be great if they fixed it already , maybe people that have the sets should compare firmware version numbers to see if there is indeed different versions already .

------ Jason
post #99 of 329 Old 09-16-2006, 08:42 AM

maybe there is no fix and some people just got crappy sets. seeing as how like 2 people had issues and about 10 didnt, when does common sense start to come into play here?
post #100 of 329 Old 09-16-2006, 08:43 AM

and someone who said they had the same firmware version as me said they saw issues, when i didnt. its not a "sensitivity to the issue" issue, its a some people got **** sets issue.
post #101 of 329 Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Nice , then it is possible that Syntax fixed the jitter issue with 1080i . Did you try both Component inputs with 1080i (it is possible that only one of the inputs is to blame) ?

Well I only have one component input unless I am missing something. I think the spec sheet on Olevia's site is a bit confusing when it says "2 Component + 2 R/L RCA Audio (VGA connector accepts as 2nd Component source)." I think what that means is that they are counting the VGA input as the second component input.

I have used VGA and there is flickering if I set it to 1080i mode but it also produces a very hard-to-see image since it squishes things down a bit. However, at 1360 x 768 in 1:1 mode it looks great with no flickering. I do experience some horizontal lines jumping about the screen, but it is very minimal and not always present. I believe my cable is to blame for this.
post #102 of 329 Old 09-16-2006, 10:23 AM

Oh and my FW is A30-2.A19.A10.A01.A19
post #103 of 329 Old 09-19-2006, 10:14 AM

I don't know if it just started happening or I was just blind to it at first, but I am noticing considerable motion blur on my 432 now.

In DVDs, for example, there will be a closeup on a couple people's faces and everything looks very crisp and clear. The moment their heads move even the slightest bit, their faces lose a lot of detail.

Argh, I thought I had gotten a good unit but apparently that's not the case. I'll call Syntax today and if they don't have a satisfactory answer I'll have to return it.
post #104 of 329 Old 09-19-2006, 02:52 PM

Returned it.
post #105 of 329 Old 09-20-2006, 04:01 PM

vegenigma, what did you end up replacing the 432v with?

I'm having some jittering issues with my 432v that I posted about here earlier today in the thread entitled "Syntax 432v Any Info?" (sorry, can't post URLs yet)

If I need to return it to Office Depot and go with something else, I'd be curious to know what set you eventually decided on.
post #106 of 329 Old 09-20-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternn View Post

If I need to return it to Office Depot and go with something else, I'd be curious to know what set you eventually decided on.

I'm kind of in limbo right now. I see a few 32 inch models for about what I paid for the Olevia, but there always seems to be some sort of problem. i.e., the Vizio has greenish looking blacks and no 1:1 mode, the Westinghouse actually displays 3.5:2 instead of 3:2 when watching SDTV and costs more, the Viewsonic has a bad picture, the Maxent... well nobody seems to have even tried it.

From what I've read, the "greenness" issues with the current 32 inch Vizio are not present in all models, can sometimes be fixed through the menus, and if you experience problems the replacement is likely not to have the problems. It seems like the best choice of the bunch, as long as you are willing to risk another return. It costs the same as the Olivia 432V and is available from the manufacturer's website or some Costco and Walmart stores.

Everything seems iffy at this point though. If you do happen to find a good model, be it one I mentioned or another one, send me a PM and let me know. I'll do the same if I discover anything.
post #107 of 329 Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM

You might also want to keep an eye on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...65#post8467065

I started it to find out if there are any decent inexpensive 32 inchers out there, although I haven't gotten much of a response yet.
post #108 of 329 Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I would also like to add that whatever chipset is being used in the older Olevia LT37HVS it offers superior performance over the new ATi chip that is in the 432v (other than the 1:1 mode offered in the 4 & 5 series which is great for PC use) . With the older models 480i/p is better , SDtv is better , 1080i over component has no issues and the image is superior with better black level .
------- Jason

Do you know if the LT32HVE's have the same chipset as the LT37HVS?
I am seriously considering grabbing that over the 432/532, as I want it mostly for DVDs, gaming (360 coming soon). The lack of the tuner doesn't bother me as I never watch tv or cable. I just want decent PQ and the HD resolutions for when I get the 360.
post #109 of 329 Old 09-22-2006, 09:30 AM

I considered returning my 532h becuase of some HDMI issues I was encountering, but broke my clavicle which prevented me from doing so before the last possible return date. Consequently, I have been spending a considerable amount of time trying to troubleshoot. As it turns out, most of the problems were related to the motorola HD DVR and were dealt with by getting a new box. However, I find that I still cannot adjust the volume via HDMI. The only way I can adjust the volume is on the TV. I've tried 3 different boxes and 2 different cables. Analog audio works fine. Is it possible that my 532 for some reason cannot recognize different volume levels on HDMI? BroChaos?
post #110 of 329 Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM

Has there been any news from Brochaos or anyone else regarding a firmware update to fix the Bad PQ in 480i/p for the 532H sets. I want to buy one but I don't want to buy until there is a fix.
post #111 of 329 Old 09-28-2006, 08:45 AM

westcoastnative, as of today (9-28-06) I see no firmware updates for my 432V on the Olevia website. The 532H is listed in the same category as the 432V, so they probably use the same firmware.

Edit: Actually, the two sets (432V and 532H) use the same video processor, the ATI Xilleon, and are almost identical in most other respects, but I can't say for sure if they use the same firmware (maybe just the same firmware upgrade procedure).
post #112 of 329 Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 PM

So the problem seems isolated to the models with the ATI chipset (427/527 and 432/532)? The 332 uses the PixelWorks chipset, so I was thinking of getting that model to avoid the problem. The only other difference in the 332 is it doesn't have a tuner. I'll be getting tv reception from my cable company, so the lack of a tuner doesn't really bother me.

Not counting the 480i/480p problem, is the ATI chipset a strong improvement over the Pixelworks chipset? If it is I can wait until this problem is resolved to get the 4 series. If it isn't I'll just get the 3 series now, and save some money by dumping the tuner.
post #113 of 329 Old 10-07-2006, 04:38 PM

I have a 532h and looked up on Olevia website for a new firmware. There is new one, looks like from 10/05/06 from the fliename, but I can't download it. Its always saying file not found when I click on the link. Has anybody been able to download this new firmware?
post #114 of 329 Old 10-08-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIVLIVES View Post

I have a 532h and looked up on Olevia website for a new firmware. There is new one, looks like from 10/05/06 from the fliename, but I can't download it. Its always saying file not found when I click on the link. Has anybody been able to download this new firmware?

When I enter my S/N as requested in the firmware download window, I get a reply saying no firmware is available for my model. Where did you see that new firmware is available?
post #115 of 329 Old 10-08-2006, 10:25 PM

I hope the firmware update is available for download soon, and that one is also available for the 432. I look forward to hearing some comments on what improvements, if any, the new firmware provides. I will happily go buy a 432 if my issues have been addressed.
post #116 of 329 Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 AM

I just checked the Olevia website for new firmware for my 432V, and I see nothing available for download. After entering my serial number, the only response I receive is: "We currently don't have a firmware for this model. Please try again later."
post #117 of 329 Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just getting back to this thread since my wife and I were busy with the birth of our first child.

So syntax is just letting these crap sets sit despite the calls and emails that I have sent?

I was unable to find any firmware for the 532H on the website.

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #118 of 329 Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 PM

I was waiting for these issues to be resolved before purchasing a 532h, but I eventually gave up waiting and bought a westinghouse instead.

Syntax, you are losing customers over this issue, please get it resolved as quickly as you can for your current customers, and anyone thinking about becoming one.
post #119 of 329 Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM

Consider this: the shadows are in the original material and the Olevia's electronics are fast enough to show the shadow - on par with someone like Sony's. Other systems do not have fast electronics and can not show the shadows.

LCD Panels have a very fast rise and fall time, on the order of 6.5 to 8 milliseconds. Each field time is 16.66 milliseconds. The images will decay in less than one half of one field time. Each discrete LCD cell only serves one pixel. The effect is to time slice a smooth image into 1/60 second segments. These segments are visible on the screen.

Electronics that are less subtle would no doubt fail to capture the shadows of the fin - which the director may have placed in the source material to suggest SPEED of motion - on very fast moving images.

Additionally, the shadow behind the fin can be affected by the Brightness setting. If Brightness is set to remove dark details, less of the fin's shadow will be displayed.

Hope that explanation helps...
post #120 of 329 Old 10-11-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccg106 View Post

Consider this: the shadows are in the original material and the Olevia's electronics are fast enough to show the shadow - on par with someone like Sony's. Other systems do not have fast electronics and can not show the shadows.

LCD Panels have a very fast rise and fall time, on the order of 6.5 to 8 milliseconds. Each field time is 16.66 milliseconds. The images will decay in less than one half of one field time. Each discrete LCD cell only serves one pixel. The effect is to time slice a smooth image into 1/60 second segments. These segments are visible on the screen.

Electronics that are less subtle would no doubt fail to capture the shadows of the fin - which the director may have placed in the source material to suggest SPEED of motion - on very fast moving images.

Additionally, the shadow behind the fin can be affected by the Brightness setting. If Brightness is set to remove dark details, less of the fin's shadow will be displayed.

Hope that explanation helps...

Whose post are you responding to? I searched through the entire thread and the only mention of shadows or fins is in your post. I am fairly certain that a Sony LCD will not have the problems we're describing here.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page