PAL Tuner, NTSC LCD TV, What are my options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-26-2006, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I've just bought a Sony KDL-46S2000 HD TV (NTSC) and I'm now moving to the UK for a while where they use PAL. Luckily, the TV is dual voltage (110-220V and 50/60Hz.) The PAL Sky HD satellite receiver has HDMI and composite outputs

How do I get around the PAL and NTSC issue?:
1. Will the HDMI or composite outputs on the Sky box save the day?
2. If not, what other options do I have? Buy an PAL to NTSC converter? Will the quality be very poor? Will the HD be a disaster?
3. It looks like Sony have a similar model in the UK - do you think they'll convert it for me? The UK model is a KDL-46S2000U

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-04-2007, 11:06 PM

I need to know the same thing. Any experiences?
post #3 of 14 Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Your TV won't be using it's internal tuner, so using the external Sky satellite box should save the day in this case. You just won't be able to tune anything with the set itself, it will only be an HD monitior.

"PLEASE HELP STOP HDTV ABUSE! FEED YOUR HDTV AN HD SIGNAL!"
post #4 of 14 Old 12-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo-whu View Post

Hi guys,

I've just bought a Sony KDL-46S2000 HD TV (NTSC) and I'm now moving to the UK for a while where they use PAL. Luckily, the TV is dual voltage (110-220V and 50/60Hz.) The PAL Sky HD satellite receiver has HDMI and composite outputs

How do I get around the PAL and NTSC issue?:
1. Will the HDMI or composite outputs on the Sky box save the day?
2. If not, what other options do I have? Buy an PAL to NTSC converter? Will the quality be very poor? Will the HD be a disaster?
3. It looks like Sony have a similar model in the UK - do you think they'll convert it for me? The UK model is a KDL-46S2000U

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Hi,
I am in the same boat as you! Moving to India and need to find a PAL B to NTSC converter...not sure oif the sky dish offers converters in India.

Does anyone have any experience with an external converter such as:

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/A...r-p-17380.html

grateful.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-21-2007, 07:10 AM

I have the same situation and would like to know from an firm source. My assumptions are that if I am using digital inputs such as DVI and HDMI, definitely no issues. I am not very clear on analog sources though. I assume that a NTSC TV can't tune PAL video inputs directly, but if I have a local cable box that puts out DVI or HDMI, it would be no problem. But how about component and composit, are those inputs going to be issues?

The reason why I want to move stuff over is that the destination country has older models that cost 3x the price.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-11-2009, 07:38 PM

Seems like lots of people have shipped NTSC ( American TV standard) TV to India (PAL-B system) in last few years but no one has posted the results of what they have done? Have they been successful also or not with external convertors or any other options?

I am also moving to India and has a Sony LCD TV ( NTSC) and don't know what to do? If there is an option to make it work in India, I would prefer to ship my TV.

Would appreciate if someone can share the experience and the solution followed.

Thanks
post #7 of 14 Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockss View Post

I am also moving to India and has a Sony LCD TV ( NTSC) and don't know what to do? If there is an option to make it work in India, I would prefer to ship my TV.

You'll need an external box that can convert the 50Hz signal to a 60Hz one. Video scalers that cease to be state of the art tend to go for not that much on the second hand market (well, provided you shop around), so an older DVDO/Lumagen/etc scaler would probably be the most straightforward solution. For a little more ($600ish) you could get a new DVDO Edge which would be even better. The "PAL" and "NTSC" monikers themself are quite meaningless with digital displays as the BT.709 digital standard is used worldwide, the only issue is frame rate.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Hi,

I am also planning to move my Samsung LCD TV to India. Can anybody share their positive or negative experience.

-Debraj Das
post #9 of 14 Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Hi All,
What you need to use a NTSC TV in a PAL country or a PAL TV in a NTSC country. Also answers which Video Converter do I buy?

The new CMD-RF1080p solves all of your problems for PAL to NTSC TV conversion. Before this model came out you needed an external TV tuner plus a PAL to NTSC video converter to use your American TV in a PAL/Secam country. Now, with the CMDRF1080p, you do not need an external TV tuner as it has its own built-in PAL/SECAM TV tuner! This model has a built in TV tuner for PAL and Secam systems: PAL B/G, D/K, I and Secam, B/G, D/K, L. So the CMDRF1080p works as a TV tuner and a Pal to NTSC Converter also. And it will output in NTSC format through HDMI connection for HDTV. It is the perfect solution for those customers that already own an NTSC HDTV. So now you can take that American TV you bought at Best Buy, Sears, Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. to any Pal or Secam country outside the USA. This model is on factory promotion so the price will not be so low. the CMD-RF1080p is actually priced lower than all other video converters for limited time only!

Just plug your antenna into this converter and then connect the HDMI output to your American TV. That's it. Before this model was introduced you also needed a TV tuner to use your American TV in a PAL/SECAM Country. Not anymore. The CMD-RF1080p eliminates all extra boxes and external tuners. It also has HDMI input, RCA input, S-Video input and Component input in case you want to use any other PAL devices on your American TV.

If you buy a video converter that does not have a built-in TV tuner then the setup changes. Then, to use a NTSC (American TV) in a PAL country, you need two items: A local TV broadcast tuner and a video converter. The local TV tuner must be able to receive the specific PAL or SECAM broadcasting in the country. Basically it is needed to receive local TV channels. Most multi-system VCRs have a PAL tuner or you can buy a cable box or satellite dish in the PAL country you are going to. The VCR or tuner will receive and output the local TV or cable channels. The Video converter will then take this PAL signal and convert it to NTSC for viewing on your existing American TV set. The key to this process is to buy an excellent quality video converter like the CMD-1500. The CMD-1500 has RCA and S-Video inputs and outputs. We have many video converters on our site that start at $129.99. All the PAL to NTSC Video Converters are on our site for your review.

If you have a HDTV LCD or Plasma then consider buying one of our HD High Definition Video Converters. We have now introduced fully digital video converter models with HDMI output like our CMD-HDX5, CMD-HDX6 and CMD-HDX98. These models convert PAL (up to 1080p) HDTV to NTSC (up to 1080p) HDTV. These models will take RCA input, HDMI input and Component input and change to HDMI output up to full HD 1080p! The best feature of these models is that they have New Digital technology which provides direct conversion without any signal loss. The input and output will be the same without any degradation after the conversion. Using the high definition quality conversion of these HDTV you can convert PAL HDTV signals to NTSC HDTV for viewing on your existing NTSC HDTV. Eliminating the need to buy a new multi-system TV set. Local PAL HDTV tuner like a Cable Box or Satellite Receiver is required to get HD signals.

Our PAL NTSC video converters are so good that you will not get a better PAL NTSC video converter model even if you spend 3 times the price! Our guarantee is that if you find a model that gives you better conversion for even 3 times the price we will take our video converter back and even arrange for return shipping (within the USA). So if you buy any other model you won't like the conversion quality! We can ship our models world wide also!

To use a PAL/SECAM (Euro/Asian TV) in a NTSC country you need the same equipment. Call or email for specific models and recommendations.

for more info please see this url: world-import.com

Regards,

Hussain Naqvi
post #10 of 14 Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 AM

I think the main question is , whether the NTSC TV will work in PAL country without a Converter. Will the PAL region's STB be able output NTSC, or are they compatible with HDMI out etc.

I have a Sony bravia 40" NTSC TV bought in USA. It does not work with PAL STB . I bought CMD 1500 PAL to NTSC converter. The video quality is not good on 40" TV. I am disappointed with the quality of video on my Sony TV.
Here in India , Dish TV provides a STB with VGA out. So, right now , this is the only best option to watch on NTSC TV ( if the TV has VGA in)

Now the STBs are coming with HD service. However , none of the HD STBs currently works with NTSC TV even with HDMI.
Dish TV HD STB has setting to output the video through HDMI at 1920x1080i@60Hz or 1920x1080i@50Hz. I was in a belief that if the output can be set to 60Hz, then it would just work fine with NTSC TV over HDMI. I did not test this personally, but hearing that even this setting does not work.
So, now I thinking that , just like PAL ( Europe) and NTSC (USA) are analog standards, there are standards ATSC ( USA) and DVB-T(Europe) in digital world too.
My Sony TV is ATSC compliance. So, is there is something beyond framerate ( 50Hz(PAL) vs 60Hz(NTSC) ) to make the NTSC TV to work in PAL region ?

What does PAL HDMI<=>NTSC HDMI converter do other than converting the frame rate from 50Hz to 60Hz ?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-24-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralia View Post

I think the main question is , whether the NTSC TV will work in PAL country without a Converter. Will the PAL region's STB be able output NTSC, or are they compatible with HDMI out etc.

I have a Sony bravia 40" NTSC TV bought in USA. It does not work with PAL STB . I bought CMD 1500 PAL to NTSC converter. The video quality is not good on 40" TV. I am disappointed with the quality of video on my Sony TV.
Here in India , Dish TV provides a STB with VGA out. So, right now , this is the only best option to watch on NTSC TV ( if the TV has VGA in)

Now the STBs are coming with HD service. However , none of the HD STBs currently works with NTSC TV even with HDMI.
Dish TV HD STB has setting to output the video through HDMI at 1920x1080i@60Hz or 1920x1080i@50Hz. I was in a belief that if the output can be set to 60Hz, then it would just work fine with NTSC TV over HDMI. I did not test this personally, but hearing that even this setting does not work.
So, now I thinking that , just like PAL ( Europe) and NTSC (USA) are analog standards, there are standards ATSC ( USA) and DVB-T(Europe) in digital world too.
My Sony TV is ATSC compliance. So, is there is something beyond framerate ( 50Hz(PAL) vs 60Hz(NTSC) ) to make the NTSC TV to work in PAL region ?

What does PAL HDMI<=>NTSC HDMI converter do other than converting the frame rate from 50Hz to 60Hz ?

You may want to try DISH HD STB using HDMI. This guy tried and it worked h t t p : / / w w w .r2iclubforums.com/forums/showthread.php/11141-MT-All-Questions-on-taking-TV-to-India-LCD-NTSC-PAL-110V?p=319352#post319352

Please post here if it works
post #12 of 14 Old 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM

any one willing to take an LED or LCD from USA to india or to any country that works with PAL Video decoding be aware of the Power output. do not worry about the signal, u may not be able to use the tv tuner but could use one of the digital boxes with hdmi input and work, all the digital tv in india (most of them) comes with HDMI output, so u could enjoy the same clarity in india. beware that u have to know the customes in India to carry bigger ones.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliyar2090 View Post

any one willing to take an LED or LCD from USA to india or to any country that works with PAL Video decoding be aware of the Power output. do not worry about the signal, u may not be able to use the tv tuner but could use one of the digital boxes with hdmi input and work, all the digital tv in india (most of them) comes with HDMI output, so u could enjoy the same clarity in india. beware that u have to know the customes in India to carry bigger ones.

Can you please explain the things i need to in detail? you can also email me at netrama0@gmail.com.

basically i need the
1.PAL-NTSC convertor box with HDMI ports
2. HDMI cable

do i need to check anything else. my home has cable TV and not dish. is that a problem?

thanks
post #14 of 14 Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM

t work well if u have a multisystem support
Else you need ntsc to PAL conversion
Go here for more information
http://caopinion.com/Post/NTSC-to-PAL-Converter
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays