post #1171 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDONTKNOW123 View Post

^Ok thought so, yea I only have it connected via S-Video my HDMI cables should be in tomorrow. Right now my TV looks pretty bad from up close. Is it because of the S-Video cable?

Yes, as boltjames informed using an S-video cable to feed video to this tv
is an insult. An HDMI cable is your best bet and use my settings and then
call in sick for the rest of the week because you won't believe your eyes.

Good Luck.

Keep us posted.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 03:51 PM

Liked: 10
will these settings work on the 52" xbr 2?
post #1173 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Alright I just got my HDMI cable and put in and all I can say is wow. It looks absolutely amazing. My jaw has been on the floor for the past 15 minutes. I have Petmic's settings on right now. They look good, my only complaint is they are a little dull. Also the black levels can look a little bit better.
post #1174 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Alright I just got my HDMI cable and put in and all I can say is wow. It looks absolutely amazing. My jaw has been on the floor for the past 15 minutes. I have Petmic's settings on right now. They look good, my only complaint is they are a little dull. Also the black levels can look a little bit better.

Ah, then you are ready for the next level. You need the CarlosC settings with the Boltjames tweaks if you feel you need a bit more pizzaz without being too over the top.

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 7
Picture: Max
Brightness: 48
Color: 48
Hue: 0
Color Temp.: Warm 1
Sharpness: 30
Noise Red.: Off
DRC Mode: N/A
DRC Palette: N/A

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: Low
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Low
Clear White: High
Live Color: Low
Color Space: Wide
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Power Saving: Off
Display Area: Normal

White Balance(GrayScale):
R-Gain: -16
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: -7
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Give it a try and let me know what you think. I always felt that the petmic10 settings were too dark and too lifeless. I find that the CarlosC modified settings shown here add just enough brightness without tweaking clouds and dial down the reds so that the push isn't so severe.

BJ
post #1175 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaframa View Post

will these settings work on the 52" xbr 2?

Well...they'll work, and probably be better than the default 'stock' settings...but they won't be optimized for a 52". Check out my several sets of earlier 52" settings posted in this thread, as well mine and other's settings specifically for 52s on the condensed, "other" XBR2/3 Settings thread. Odds-on you'll find something that you really like & works well amongst them.

Cheers!
-3Gun
post #1176 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 05:10 PM

That definitely adds life to the TV. I'm watching the Mets on ESPN baseball and it looks amazing. I would like to thank you and Petmic for all the help. I will probably have more questions throughout.
post #1177 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thats actually rather close to what my settings were at (except i dont fiddle with the white balance, and my ACE and black corrector is al ittle higher), except when the lights are off it seems too bright, and whenever a scene thats all white (usually with a commercial) my eyes burn.

I thought about using the light censor but it kind of messes stuff up when the lights are on (even on a backlight of 10 it doesnt feel quite the same with the backlight at 7 and the Light Censor off).

Do those settings seem to bright with the lights off?
post #1178 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:

That definitely adds life to the TV. I'm watching the Mets on ESPN baseball and it looks amazing. I would like to thank you and Petmic for all the help. I will probably have more questions throughout.

Well, some candid photos of your wife would go along way as a "thank you" to those of us who worked so hard to help.

BJ
post #1179 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

thats actually rather close to what my settings were at (except i dont fiddle with the white balance, and my ACE and black corrector is al ittle higher), except when the lights are off it seems too bright, and whenever a scene thats all white (usually with a commercial) my eyes burn.

I thought about using the light censor but it kind of messes stuff up when the lights are on (even on a backlight of 10 it doesnt feel quite the same with the backlight at 7 and the Light Censor off).

Do those settings seem to bright with the lights off?

No, not to me. But it's known to be best to keep some ambient light on in the room as it keeps your eyes from fatiguing and allows the TV's brightness to be bolder.

BJ
post #1180 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

Well, some candid photos of your wife would go along way as a "thank you" to those of us who worked so hard to help.

BJ

LOL nah I'll pass on that. One more question. As I have already stated the picture looks stunning right now but there is a minor issue. On both the HD and SD channels, when the picture is gray you can see distortion in the gray area. It is really hard to explain. For example, I am watching the Mets game on ESPN HD, the light coming off the stadium lights, this is where this distortion is present. I am not even sure if distortion is the right word. Another example is, on NFL NEtwork you can see this distortion in the crowd when the focus is on the field. This is not present in the middle of the TV mostly the corners. It's not really a big issue at all but it would be nice if it wasn't there. Anyway to get rid of this? Hopefully you know what I am talking about.
post #1181 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

No, not to me. But it's known to be best to keep some ambient light on in the room as it keeps your eyes from fatiguing and allows the TV's brightness to be bolder.

BJ

I usually do have the lights on, but on certain occasions or later at night i watch tv with the lights off, and for whatever reason the brightness becomes alot more pronounced at that backlight level.

of course when the lights are in its better at higher levels. I just dont care to have to change it constantly, although i wish the light censor was a little less restrictive.
post #1182 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 PM

Bump
post #1183 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:

LOL nah I'll pass on that. One more question. As I have already stated the picture looks stunning right now but there is a minor issue. On both the HD and SD channels, when the picture is gray you can see distortion in the gray area. It is really hard to explain. For example, I am watching the Mets game on ESPN HD, the light coming off the stadium lights, this is where this distortion is present. I am not even sure if distortion is the right word. Another example is, on NFL NEtwork you can see this distortion in the crowd when the focus is on the field. This is not present in the middle of the TV mostly the corners. It's not really a big issue at all but it would be nice if it wasn't there. Anyway to get rid of this? Hopefully you know what I am talking about.

Okay, a few issues are surfacing that I can shed some light on.

First, the old adage of "garbage in garbage out" applies. Not sure who you are getting your HD feed from (cable company?) but there's something called 'bandwidth' and it's not cheap and the less that your HD provider can use, the more money he stands to make. They'll compress the virgin HD signal a bit like what an MP3 does to the original song; it cuts out what it thinks you don't need to see, and you lose some detail as a result. You'd think that there's one standard for HD and that all of us get the same consistency in broadcast, but that's not the truth. Each provider is playing a compression game based on controlling expenses and making profits. So a black/grey area around a spotlight at a stadium could be an example of your provider's greed and not an indication of a poorly calibrated panel.

Next, ESPN is a 720p native broadcast and you have a 1080p native panel. Remember last nights math exercise and pop quiz? When your 2 million pixel panel receives only 800 thousand pixels, it does something called "scaling" which is using circuitry to invent the missing 1.2 million pixels that is needed to fill your screen. You'll notice that NBC's Today Show or CBS David Letterman Show look flawless on your XBR2, because they broadcast in 1080i. The main reason why is that all 2 million pixels being sent to your living room are being represented accurately on your Sony panel. But FOX and ESPN are 720p and thus more than half of what you see isn't from the original transmission; it's "painted" on by your panel's circuits.

My guess is that the combination of the cable company's compression and the 720p ESPN broadcast is the reason for the issues around the lights you mention.

Now, to a fundamental question: You may or may not know that the single biggest issue in HD quality is the distance that your eyeballs are from the screen when you sit in the seat that you use most often. You don't buy an HDTV to "fit my entertainment center". It's like a pair of shoes. Can't be too big or too small. Has to be "right". If you are too close or your screen is too big, you're going to see distortion. Conversely, if you are too far or your screen is too small, you're not going to see all the resolution you're paying for. You bought a 46" panel, so if you whip out a tape measure and you're not 8 to 11 feet away, you may have purchased the wrong size.

BJ
post #1184 of 1418 Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 PM

Dish Network is my provider. My viewing distance is 9 feet away from the TV. Fits my living room perfect. I'm guessing this distortion I am seeing is common with all TV's. It is not only on ESPN though it is also present on most other channels. Like I said the picture is still great but this distortion is still there. I definitely understand why this is happening now. No biggie.
post #1185 of 1418 Old 06-28-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pity that you won't have pass through or "native" mode. I just got an HR20 from DirecTV and it makes a big difference.

Here's some simple math for you, and a pop quiz:

720p features 800 thousand pixels streaming into your house.

1080i features a whopping 2 million pixels streaming into your house.

Since your new XBR2 is a 1080p panel with 2 million pixels just waiting to receive content, which resolution do you think you should have your cable box set to?

That's right. Set your box to 1080i. This way, it sends all 2 million pixels of 1080i broadcasts to your Sony. If you chose 720p, guess what your cable box would have done? That's right. It would chop 1.2 million pixels out of the picture, robbing you of much of the quality that you've paid for. To answer your next question, yes, better to let the cable box upscale the 720p's 800 thousand pixels to 1080i than to have the cable box chop the 1080i's 2 million pixels down to 800 thousand. Remember, only ESPN and FOX are in 720p; the other 95% of your HD viewing will be from stations broadcasting in 1080i.

So.......set your cable box to 1080i, make sure that you watch your SD in 4:3, set Input 7 to Petmic's settings, and wait for your HDMI cable.

BJ

I know I know, Can I answer teach? 1080i is is the way to go all the time.
Who was using S-video for these monster machines? That is so SAD An outrage. We need to rescue this person. You might as well bought a non digital tube because that is the picture you will be seeing with the s-video. HDMI or component are they way to go.

I don't agree with you about watching SD in 4:3, this TV does some great expanding of the piture with very little distortion if there are any. As long as he sticks to the settings givien to him many times in this thread.

There aren't any stupid questions just stupid people who prefer to do it themselves and BOOM!
post #1186 of 1418 Old 06-28-2007, 05:52 PM

OK, here's a question that is unclear to me. I have been an avid reader of this thread and have read about setting the cable box to bypass mode. I have a Motorola 3416 and have the HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT setting to 1080i and the 4:3 OVERRIDE to 480i. Everything is fine for HD and non-widescreen SD channels. My question is about the widescreen broadcast SD channels with black bars around all 4 sides. Discovery channel and other are this way. I can zoom to fill the screen since it is in a 1.85:1 ratio, but if some setting will do this automatically, this would be great.

Thanks
post #1187 of 1418 Old 06-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Ah, then you are ready for the next level. You need the CarlosC settings with the Boltjames tweaks if you feel you need a bit more pizzaz without being too over the top.

Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 7
Picture: Max
Brightness: 48
Color: 48
Hue: 0
Color Temp.: Warm 1
Sharpness: 30
Noise Red.: Off
DRC Mode: N/A
DRC Palette: N/A

Advanced Settings:

Black Corrector: Low
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Low
Clear White: High
Live Color: Low
Color Space: Wide
Detail Enhancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off

Power Saving: Off
Display Area: Normal

White Balance(GrayScale):
R-Gain: -16
G-Gain: 0
B-Gain: 0
R-Bias: -7
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Give it a try and let me know what you think. I always felt that the petmic10 settings were too dark and too lifeless. I find that the CarlosC modified settings shown here add just enough brightness without tweaking clouds and dial down the reds so that the push isn't so severe.

BJ

ur settings are so far off wow
might as well set ur color temp to cool

i just took petmics settings and upd the BL to 5 and upd the Bright to 55
post #1188 of 1418 Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Petmic, do you possible know anyway to fix this. I am pretty sure this is not normal.
post #1189 of 1418 Old 07-01-2007, 10:28 AM

Bump
post #1190 of 1418 Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM

One last bump in hopes of somebody answering my question.
post #1191 of 1418 Old 07-02-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:

One last bump in hopes of somebody answering my question.

Your question's been answered. We are all watching what many call "HD Lite" where our satellite/cable/FIOS providers chop a percentage of the resolution out so as to save precious $ on bandwidth. This unwanted compression can add noticable artifacts.

If you'd like to see the difference, purchase an over-the-air antenna and tune in to one of your local (and free) HD stations. That comes through uncompressed and can be quite a bit better looking.

BJ
post #1192 of 1418 Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Petmic, do you possible know anyway to fix this. I am pretty sure this is not normal.

My apologies for not answering sooner, I was away for the weekend.

I think Boltjames hit the nail right on the head, unfortunately most cable or
satellite providers if not all compress the signal dramatically to fit as many
channels as possible. The outcome is some of the problems you are noticing.

post #1193 of 1418 Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 AM

I got that part but this is also present when I use my DVD player. I'd like to add that it is a regular DVD player hooked up with composite cables. I don't really watch DVD's so that is why it is so old. So is it normal for this to be on my old DVD player as well?
post #1194 of 1418 Old 07-02-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I got that part but this is also present when I use my DVD player. I'd like to add that it is a regular DVD player hooked up with composite cables. I don't really watch DVD's so that is why it is so old. So is it normal for this to be on my old DVD player as well?

This is just like your first question about using an S-Video cable with HDTV.

Any equipment (DVD, camcorder, set-top box, xbox, etc.) that doesn't use HDMI or component cables is going to look like crap on your XBR2.

HDTV's, especially those from a high-quality maker with 1080p resolution, are not meant to be used with last gen components using last gen cables.

So.....no more questions about quality on any source unless you a) have HDMI or component cables and b) you've properly calibrated the TV per the petmic or carlos settings. Savvy?

BJ
post #1195 of 1418 Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM

^Yup I was just confused because you said the problem was compression from the satellite company so I thought maybe it should not have been there for the DVD player. I am getting a PS3 tomorrow so I'm anxious to see what that looks like. As for the settings I am using Petmic's setting with you tweaks on page 20 except I have the backlight at 5 and that has been the perfect settings for my TV.
post #1196 of 1418 Old 07-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:

^Yup I was just confused because you said the problem was compression from the satellite company so I thought maybe it should not have been there for the DVD player. I am getting a PS3 tomorrow so I'm anxious to see what that looks like. As for the settings I am using Petmic's setting with you tweaks on page 20 except I have the backlight at 5 and that has been the perfect settings for my TV.

Going from a composite or S-Video cable to HDMI is like going from 1 to 9 on the 10 point scale. We're talking quantum leap here. We're talking black & white movies to color. We're talking cassette tapes to CD. We're talking VHS to DVD. Tremendous quality jump due to the HD signal, the HD panel, and the HD cables.

Then going from compressed HD to uncompressed HD, or DVD to upscaled DVD via HDMI, is like going from 9.1 to 9.2 to 9.3. We're talking fractions of slight improvements here. This is where we discuss your grey patches on baseball broadcasts.

For the purposes of this thread, we talk in that 9.1 to 9.9 fractional range. So if you're not using a source with an HDMI or component cable connection, start there as getting the hardware right is going to be your answer. Then come to this thread to get those fractional improvements from those in the know.

BJ
post #1197 of 1418 Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Here are my Xbox 360 settings:

I just calibrated mine to what you used. However, I have an Xbox Elite and it uses an HDMI cable. Should I then make any changes to the calibration, or is there a different calibration that someone's posted that I should use because of the HDMI connect?

Thank you in advance for your reply
post #1198 of 1418 Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM

I purchased my 46XBR3 on last Friday and I picked it up from Best Buy on the 4th and i am loving it. I've been eye-hustling on this message board with no need to post until now. I want to thank Petmic for his settings and i am currently using those with pleasure. My picture is good and if someone else comes with better settings than i am willing to try those as well. My only question is when i press the display button, it says that the source is 1080i, but i thought it was suppose to say 1080p. Is the XBR automatically processing it the source at 1080p although it says 1080i ?
post #1199 of 1418 Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcees4life View Post

I purchased my 46XBR3 on last Friday and I picked it up from Best Buy on the 4th and i am loving it. I've been eye-hustling on this message board with no need to post until now. I want to thank Petmic for his settings and i am currently using those with pleasure. My picture is good and if someone else comes with better settings than i am willing to try those as well. My only question is when i press the display button, it says that the source is 1080i, but i thought it was suppose to say 1080p. Is the XBR automatically processing it the source at 1080p although it says 1080i ?

IIRC, the TV is showing you that it's receiving a 1080i signal, but it's always displaying everything at 1080p.

52XBR4
55HX929
post #1200 of 1418 Old 07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suomynona View Post

I just calibrated mine to what you used. However, I have an Xbox Elite and it uses an HDMI cable. Should I then make any changes to the calibration, or is there a different calibration that someone's posted that I should use because of the HDMI connect?

Thank you in advance for your reply

Try my HDMI settings although both are similar.

petmic settings

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page