post #1381 of 1418 Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosng View Post

the xbr4/5 as well as the hot new samsungs are the reason i tweaked the original petmic settings which are very nice.

anyone else looking for more "black" in their picture (and like petmic10's settings )should give these a try. if you don't like it, change it back. simple, but i think you won't
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1341

BOSNG, your settings have worked best for me thus far. Thanks for the post!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1418 Old 02-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I finally went into Best Buy to view the XBR4/5 and was blown away by its color! I noticed a huge difference in the vibrance of the color and the deepness of the black compared to my 52-XBR2. Is there any firmware upgrade that will help tweak the XBR2 for a better picture? I have petmic10's settings with the color turned up, and i think it is at its potential. Any comments?

I have been trying to find out if there is a firmware upgrade for the XBR2/3s to no avail. I have had my 52" for about a year and have never been that happy about the picture quality despite going through dozens of calibration settings. If anyone out there knows if there is a firmware update, service upgrade or something to make the XBR2/3s closer to the XBR4/5s I would appreciate an answer as well.
post #1383 of 1418 Old 02-29-2008, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by molinare View Post

I have been trying to find out if there is a firmware upgrade for the XBR2/3s to no avail. I have had my 52" for about a year and have never been that happy about the picture quality despite going through dozens of calibration settings. If anyone out there knows if there is a firmware update, service upgrade or something to make the XBR2/3s closer to the XBR4/5s I would appreciate an answer as well.

Only firmware that was released for the 2/3 series is the infamous introduction of the autodim function. Released last year about this time.
post #1384 of 1418 Old 03-08-2008, 12:32 PM

I have a 46XBR3 that was purchased in Nov '06. I also have some flashlight/clouding issues on the upper corners of the screen and Sony has sent me the firmware update, but I have yet to install it because I'm wondering whether the cure is worse than the disease. Are most folks who have applied this update happy with the results?
post #1385 of 1418 Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
try these settings on your set. i think clouds will be a non issue.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1341
post #1386 of 1418 Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 PM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will these settings work on the KDL-XBR2 40inch too?
post #1387 of 1418 Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhzz35 View Post

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will these settings work on the KDL-XBR2 40inch too?

Most settings will work for each model. You might have to make some personal prefferance changes but any setting can be good it is just a problem of us as a viewer and consumer being the most picky person out there., Our friends may come over and love what they see, but we want perfection.
My advice to you is to write down how it is set before you try any new settings then go for it. If it works great, if not go back to what you liked before.

There aren't any stupid questions just stupid people who prefer to do it themselves and BOOM!
post #1388 of 1418 Old 03-21-2008, 05:14 PM

I came across these at www.tweaktv.com for the Sony KDL-46XBR2 .

http://www.tweaktv.com/component/opt...1&model_id=137
post #1389 of 1418 Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 PM

Of all the settings I've tried for my 46XBR3, this was the one I liked the best. Thanks Googlybear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooglyBear View Post

it's been a long while now, so figure might as well share my 40xbr2 settings which I've racked my brain for back in the day..

situation was simple.. it annoyed me to no-end that a lot of the features Sony has is simply put.. best turned off in most ISF calibrations.. why do we even pay premium for the "Sony" brand if we just turn them off?

so anyhows, back in the day of searching and educating myself how to calibrate.. proper grayscale.. color temps.. and specially correct Gamma setting.. all tied hand in hand so yea, I just calibrated my set with some options turned on and yea..

first step is getting proper gamma.. then work on the color temps after.. basically, proper Grayscale is the way to achieve a "perfect" color pallette

MY SET SPECIFIC CALIBRATION:
-+ 40xbr2, HD Cable, HDMI (this is probably best used for movies/hdtv) +-
Power Save: LOW
Sensor: OFF
Backlight: 3
Pic: 96
Brightness: 47
Color: 50
Hue: G2
Temp: Warm2
Sharpness: 33
NR: OFF
DRC: OFF

Advanced: (this is where i differ from ISF'ers, most of these are turned off for ISF.. I blend my style with ISF and the "steaming rat")
BLACK CORRECTOR = ***OFF*** xbr'ers.. i cannot emphasize this enough.. this feature is dangerous.. it doesn't help blacks at all.. it CRUSHES BLACKS.. turn on ACE which increases the dyanmic contrast ratio without crushing it.. BC just crushes blacks..
ACE = Medium
Gamma = high
Clear white = low
Live = off
Color Space = Wide
Detail: Off
Edge: Off

White Balance:
rgain: -3
ggain: -6
bgain: -10
rbias: 4
gbias: 2
bbias: -5

-+ PS3 via HDMI +-
only difference and you have to toggle this on the PS3 itself
RGB RANGE: ***FULL***
BD/DVD Video Output HDMI: ***RGB***
Brightness: 66 <-- has to be bumped up once toggling the RGB range to full on the ps3 or else your blacks will be crushed mercilessly

anyhows, that's my calibration settings blending the ISF and SteamingRat philosophies.. scientific and yet turned on the "features" which most of the time is turned off

D65 Color Temp even with the extra settings on

How about the relative R-G-B levels? yep, spot on as well

The Gamma Curve

so yea, try it out you 40XBR2'ers and specially those of us who have a PS3.. let me know what you think

and oh.. if you have something other than 40xbr2.. I doubt it'll work -.- difference sizes, etc etc.. everything's askew :P sosrsly

post #1390 of 1418 Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdude View Post

Of all the settings I've tried for my 46XBR3, this was the one I liked the best. Thanks Googlybear!

thank you..

-+ I heard mono with my ears, stereo with my heart, but I heard surround with my soul - Unnamed
-+ My tastes are simple -- I am always satisfied with the best
-+ You ainÂt gotta like me, you just mad 'cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be!
post #1391 of 1418 Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM

anybody got any good wii settings
post #1392 of 1418 Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

i recently picked up the onkyo HT-SR800 HTIB and setting it up. the only real way with my ps3 and cable box i have found so far is to run video to my XBR2 and the optical cables to the reciever (575 model i belive is with this set)

i realized there is an optical (digital) out on these sets. but i am unable to produce any sound out of it.. i would rather have HDMI go to the XBR and have the optical from tv go to my reciever. i have did some searching and it looks like the optical out is unable to pass audio via hdmi... only ota signals. is this true? can anyone confirm this?

thanks in advance..

by the way thanks to everyone who posted settings in this thread! great starting point for me to pinpoint my picture to look amazing!

PSN ID: frank_and_beans
post #1393 of 1418 Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykrl View Post

I have done some searching and it looks like the optical out is unable to pass audio via hdmi... only ota signals. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

Yes it is true. Stated in the manual as well.
post #1394 of 1418 Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post

Yes it is true. Stated in the manual as well.

thanks i didnt see it in the manual but found out the hard way.. thanks for clarifying this for me.

PSN ID: frank_and_beans
post #1395 of 1418 Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 PM

Well i have tried 90% of the settings on here, some i liked - after 6 monhts of owning this tv (46" xbr2) i decided to experiment further and have come to the conclusion of which settings i love best and give the best black levels on my tv.

HDMI

power saving low
backlight : 3
Brightness : 54
picture : 93
color : 40
color temp : warm 1
sharpness : 33

advanced menu
gamma : low
color space : wide

white balance
everything else set to off.

i think it gives the best black levels and most natural picture, very much like a plasma and clouding (if you have any) is almost non existent now.

cheers.
post #1396 of 1418 Old 06-27-2008, 04:04 PM

Dxerna1aaaaSawsws3byh aW2Q
post #1397 of 1418 Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Im trying to connect my laptop pc to my kdl-46xbr2 via hdmi and I cant seem to get 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm using a dell 1526 with an integrated ATI graphics card. My laptop has HDMI out. It looks like its scaling. When I go into the ATI CCC. To have the desktop visable, I have to scale down the screen. When the scaling is at 0%, it forces the desktop past the edges of the tv. Any suggestions?
post #1398 of 1418 Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I've been messing around with setups for almost 2 years now on my 46xbr3 and have sticked with these settings until I get a xbr8. I use a few color charts, other user settings and my own eyes. These are great settings for PC(HDMI/DVI-D), PS3(HDMI), xbox 360(component@720p) and analog/digital hdtv.

A few quick options to optimize pc usage.
1.in display properties click appearance then effects then where it says "use the following method to smooth edges of the screen fonts" check the box and select cleartype(different in menu in vista).
2.in display properties click settings then advanced, where it says dpi settings select custom and type in 120 then restart computer(differnt menu in vista).
3.get the latest drivers for your video card. uninstall old drivers before you install the new one.

picture
picture mode-custom
backlight-3
picture-97
brightness-49 (48 for component inputs)
color-46
hue-0
color temp.-warm 1
sharpness-70
noise reduction-off

advanced settings
black correction-off
advanced c.e.-off
gamma-low
clear white-off
live color-off
color space-wide
white balance-all set to 0
detail enhancer-off
edge enhancer-off

screen
wide mode-full
auto wide-off
display area-full pixel

setup
game mode-on
light sensor-off
power saving-off
post #1399 of 1418 Old 07-12-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonu View Post

Im trying to connect my laptop pc to my kdl-46xbr2 via hdmi and I cant seem to get 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm using a dell 1526 with an integrated ATI graphics card. My laptop has HDMI out. It looks like its scaling. When I go into the ATI CCC. To have the desktop visable, I have to scale down the screen. When the scaling is at 0%, it forces the desktop past the edges of the tv. Any suggestions?

I'm a nvidia user but i think it goes the same with ati cards. You shouldn't have to scale the picture at all if you are outputing 1080p to the tv, meaning you should be able to tell the card to not scale the picture and let the tv do the scaling. your wide mode should be "full" and the display area should be "full pixel" in the xbr2 menu.
post #1400 of 1418 Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 PM

After changing the settings on my xbr3 for nearly 2 years , and i have finally found the settings that have worked best for me.

Picture mode-custom
Backlight-Max
Picture-Max
brightness-49
color-43
Hue-0
Color temp-warm 1 or 2
sharpness-33
Noise reduction-off
drc-off

advanced settings
black corrector-off
advanced c.e.-medium
gamma-low or medium
clear white-low
live color-off
color space-normal
white balance-(below)
detail enhancer-medium
edge enhancer-medium

white balance
rgain= -2
ggain= -3
bgain= -15
rbias= -4
gbias= -2
bbias= -1

power saving-low
light sensor-off
post #1401 of 1418 Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellusk View Post

These are my setting for using PS3 and my Toshiba A20 via HDMI
I've had my tv since feb and played with my setting until these settings look good to me.
Any feedback/suggestions are welcome as im not sure what certain settings do

Picture mode: Custom
backlight: 5
Picture: 90
Brightness: 48
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Temperature: Cool
Sharpness: 35
Noise Reduction: low
DRC mode 1
DRC Palette R60 C10 (not really sure how this works but i just played with it)
Black Corrector: low
Advance C.E: medium
Gamma: off
Clear White: off
Live Color: off
Color Space: Wide
Edge Enhancer: medium
detail enhancer medium
Display: Full Pixel
Cinemotion: Auto

Hey guys i'm missing that realness from bluray.. (like what you see at bestbuy) how do i turn my Cinemotion on for HDMI PS3..

please advise.

watching bluray now is like watching a sharp dvd.. thats it.. no realness to it.. no pop
post #1402 of 1418 Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM

yes.. i understand that bestbuy and others jack up there setting for brightesness.. but this is about sharpness and the "realness" of the PQ for Blu Ray.

setting on the TV have tested and try.. but still no luck., PS3 is set to 1080p etc.. but stll not getting that realness of the subjust from the movies.

even on Transformer @ Costco basic HDTV with HDMI have that clear, sharp PQ.. their color are way off.. but the sharpness of Bluray is still outstanding.

on mine.. it just look to be a HQ DVD.. blah..
post #1403 of 1418 Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve47co1 View Post

First of all, thanks for all of the suggestions in this thread for the settings - I have made my viewing experience of my 46" XBR3 so much better by trying some of the suggestions.

I am now looking at some of latest posts here and I cannot access the Full Pixel option in my menu - it is grayed out. I would like to try that with my 1080p sources - Comcast.

I also have a grayed out DRC Mode 2 option on my menu.

All of the above are being done under "Custom" for Picture menu.

Suggestions? Thank you.

I am also having the same issue with the grayed out full pixel option. I am trying to set these settings on my Blue Ray DVD Player which has 1080p capabilities. Does anyone have any advise on how to adjust these settings for this to become available?
post #1404 of 1418 Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny661 View Post

I am also having the same issue with the grayed out full pixel option. I am trying to set these settings on my Blue Ray DVD Player which has 1080p capabilities. Does anyone have any advise on how to adjust these settings for this to become available?

Just make sure the BD player is outputing 1080p with a quick check by hitting the display button on the remote to show 1080p in the info bar. You shouldn't have any problems if it's 1080p. Also DRC doesn't work on 1080p signals, just 1080i and below.
post #1405 of 1418 Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM

This info was the missing link with my PS3:

-+ PS3 via HDMI +-
only difference and you have to toggle this on the PS3 itself
RGB RANGE: ***FULL***
BD/DVD Video Output HDMI: ***RGB***
Brightness: 66 <-- has to be bumped up once toggling the RGB range to full on the ps3 or else your blacks will be crushed mercilessly

Once I made these changes in the PS3, my back and forth problem with brightness (or should I say darkness) between AVI's and DVD/BluRays was eliminated.

If you have a Bravia KDL46XBR2, a PS3 and an HDMI cable connecting the two, do yourself a favor and make these changes in the PS3. One of them by default is set to Auto and the PS3 chooses the wrong one of the two. I wish I remember which one it was. I think it was the BD/DVD Video Output HDMI setting. Thanks Googlybear.

Oh, by the way, I have been searching for good settings since Feb 07. I have tried mannnnnny but usually something was always not right. Blacks were grey, cloud in the upper left corner etc. Anyway, I think I have settings I finally like using a Low Power Saving setting and the Auto Light sensor. I will post them tomorrow since I am at work now.

--------------------------

OK, here's my settings:

PS3/(cable box)

Picture mode-custom
Backlight-Max
Picture-95/(Max)
brightness-73/(54) {PS3 must have the above setting selected first}
color-49
Hue-0
Color temp-warm 1
sharpness-55
Noise reduction-off
DRC Mode-NA/(1)
DRC Palette-NA/(R35,C15)

advanced settings
black corrector-med/(low)
advanced c.e.-med/(low)
gamma-medium
clear white-low
live color-off
color space-wide
white balance-(below)
detail enhancer-off
edge enhancer-off

white balance
rgain= -2
ggain= -3
bgain= -15
rbias= -4
gbias= -2
bbias= -1

Wide Mode-full
auto wide-on
4:3 default-normal
display area-full pixel

game mode-off
color matrix-standard
power saving-low
light sensor-on
post #1406 of 1418 Old 04-08-2009, 10:12 AM

hahaha. figured it out. i just had to go to the cable input instead of the antenna input. i'm a noob to this. oh well. you learn something new everyday..
post #1407 of 1418 Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito007 View Post

I had my SONY lcd calibrated by Gregg Loewen almost two weeks ago now.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1408 of 1418 Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM

I can't find "advanced settings" on my xbr2. Where are they?

Also, I see there's a cinemotion option that is shaded grey, and not selectable. What's up with that?

anyone?
post #1409 of 1418 Old 11-14-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) list that's linked at the bottom of my post.

Enjoy.

I've followed your post over and over, and it comes back to here.
I could not find tito's settings.

could you please point me there?
post #1410 of 1418 Old 02-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Did anyone find out a better calibration to what tdrag97 said? i have the same issue.. my tv was on display at frys and it looks awesome.. then i come home and feel like its missing something. I have a ps3 with hdmi monster cables..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page