Sony BRAVIA KDL46XBR2 - User Settings/calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1418 Old 09-07-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reading about different settings for the SONY KDL46XBR2 posted in various locations, I thought it would be helpful to have them all under one thread.
Here users can post the settings they have come up or found somewhere else.
Please post only settings/calibration ideas.
The more detailed information you provide... the better.

To start, I found these on

cnet.com

Quote:

Picture menu

Mode: custom
Backlight: 3
Picture: 93
Brightness: 56
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Sharpness: 33
Noise reduction: Off

Advanced settings

Black corrector: off
Advanced C.E.: off
Gamma: low
Clear white: off
Live color: off
Color space: normal
White balance: (see below)
Detail enhancer: off
Edge enhancer: off

White balance

R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: -9
B-Gain: -2
R-Bias: -1
G-Bias: -1
B-Bias: -4

Wide menu

Display area: full pixel

Setup menu

Color matrix: standard
Power saving: low
Light sensor: off

Post away...

my TV is HD... not my writing!
Check out my thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1418 Old 09-07-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

These are some settings I've found to be very helpful.
Posted by CarlosC in the - "Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 - Owner's Thread ":

Quote:

Picture MENU
Mode = custom
Backlight = 5
Picture = 90
Brightness = 52
Color = 46
Hue = 0
Sharpness = 27 (I see a lot of people having this up in the 50-60 range... adds a lot of digital noise on my set)
Noise Reduction = OFF (turn this OFF...it just adds blurring to the image - if you drop your sharpness control down you shouldn't need to have it on, except maybe on SD programs)
DRC mode = mode 1 (standard setting of 1 seems to work best for me... when I turned it off, the picture didn't seem as clear... but its content dependent, sometimes its hard to tell any difference... haven't played around with setting 2)
DRC palette = reality = 5, clarity = 5 (I haven't played at all with this yet... I just have it at the default settings.... cant wait to start fiddling with this...
Advanced Settings sub menu
Black corrector = OFF (I turned this off, but it really depends on the lighting environment in your room... seems to darken the picture a bit too much, sacrificing a bit of black detail, but I can see having this turned on in certain situations)
Advanced C.E. = LOW (I have this on low, again, it really depends on the amount of ambient light in your room, I can see changing this at different times of the day)
Gamma = OFF
Clear White = OFF
Color space = WIDE (I belive this turns on the Wide Color Gamut (WCG-CCFL) circuit, reproducing over 102% of NTSC color according to Sony...in any case, it does make the colors more vivid, BUT, you have to then offset this by dropping your main COLOR setting above, otherwise it gets too saturated. This is really a personal preference setting, but I really like how colors pop when this is on)
Detail enhancer = MEDIUM (I actually have this at medium, but notice my sharpness control is turned down to 27, I can see this going down to LOW or even OFF, I suggest playing around with the interaction of the sharpness control with this setting to what looks best.
Edge enhancer = OFF (I didn't really notice much of a difference at the low setting, so I figured I'd turn it off)
White balance sub menu (No changes here... all default settings)
R gain = 0
G gain = 0
B gain = 0
R bias = 0
G bias = 0
B bias = 0
------
Screen Menu (I think these settings are pretty standard for most.)
Wide mode = Full
Auto wide = on
4:3 default = off
Display area = normal
Horizontal center = 0

Check out my thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 1418 Old 09-07-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

A more recent Post by CarlosC and once again very helpful:

Quote:

Hey guys,

After more fiddling, these are my most recent settings for HD content (720p,1080i) off the cable box via HDMI. Keep in mind that the room where I have the tv is moderately lit most of the time, so they are not meant to be critical (controlled lighting environment) viewing settings. Viewing distance is approximately 10ft.

Picture MENU
Mode = custom
Backlight = 6
Picture = 90
Brightness = 53
Color = 43
Hue = 0
Color Temp. = Warm 1
Sharpness = 18
Noise Reduction = OFF
DRC mode = mode 1
DRC palette = reality = 5, clarity = 5 (I still havent really messsed around with this.)
Advanced Settings sub menu
Black corrector = OFF
Advanced C.E. = OFF
Gamma = LOW
Clear White = OFF
Live Color = LOW
Color space = WIDE
Detail enhancer = MEDIUM
Edge enhancer = OFF
White balance
R gain = 0
G gain = 0
B gain = 0
R bias = 0
G bias = 0
B bias = 0
------
Screen Menu
Wide mode = Full
Auto wide = on
4:3 default = off
Display area = normal
Horizontal center = 0

Curious to see how these settings work for you guys. Let me know.

Check out my thread:
post #4 of 1418 Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Posted by the very wise - wpwj40e:

Quote:

For starters.....You must be in custom mode.

First off make sure the following settins are OFF. Not low - not on not mode 1 etc but OFF.
Use Custom -
Trun sharpness way down - at least 40 - but you can go lower.
Turn Noise Reduction OFF.
Turn DRC mode OFF (for now - you may find later as you decrease sharpness even further that you can run this in mode 1 with reality in the 70 range) but start with it OFF.
Turn Advanced CE OFF.
Leave Gamma on LOW for the time being.
I personally like white at high - but you have to play with that inconjucntion with neutral/warm1, lower brightness and lower picture (contrast) and after you have set the color space correctly. Try it at High or leave atthe medium setting.
You can only use Live color if you have changed the color space to wide. AT this point leave it at normal and you will not be able to change live color. However this is another setting that actually is quite useful in FINETUNING the set after you have the basic stuff done.
Turn Detail Enhancer OFF.
Turn Edge ENhancer OFF.

Try this as a basis and see if your PQ does not improve....

Check out my thread:
post #5 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Posted by DacHawk in "Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 Lcd'S NO PRICE TALK!" thread:

Quote:

For the best DVD quality on 1080p, you want an upconverter that puts out 1080i so you can use DRC mode2. You must select DRC: mode2 to get the wow factor on xbr2/3. Mode2 is only selectable with 1080i input (mode1 for 720p and less). This is why you need 1080i input. I have a 46xbr2 and a samsung HD931 up convert dvd player that can output up to 1080i. It's connected to xbr2 via DVI to HDMI cable with audio cables (Video8). DRC mode2 makes huge difference.

I've notice a crappy DVD movie will look crappy even with all these adjustments. It does not make so much a difference on how old the movie is as how much resolution was lost in how it was mass produced. For instance, Fifth Element looks great. Mummy Returns or the latest Harry Potter Goblet, not as good. Fifth Element (1997), MR (2001), HPG (2005).

One last point in playing DVDs, almost all the controls matter. The controls mentioned on AVS forum are mostly for watching TV (everything is basically off except for a couple of settings). Not true for playing DVDs. I recommend tweaking your xbr2/3 DVD settings while displaying a picture that has both bright sun light and shadows. Tweak all controls to bring out details of images in the shadows while not beaching out images in the sun light. I did this in Kingdom of Heaven Chapter 25, Kiss of Peace, when the words "... you are arrested and condemned." I paused (still shot) the image to make the following custom tweaks. This was a first pass. Your results will vary. Kingdom of Heaven looks awesome especially the castle seens.

BL: 4
PIC: 75
Bright: 70
Color: did not analyze, 50
Hue: did not analyze, 0
Color Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 70
Noise: Med
DRC: mode2
DRC Palette: Reality 60, Clarity 1.
Adv: BC, ACE off
Gamma: Max
CW: off
Color Sp: normal
WB: na
Detail En: max
Edge Enh: off

Maybe others can give xbr2/3 picture settings for other DVD movies they've tweaked.

Check out my thread:
post #6 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 PM

Liked: 11
Why do you have backlight so high? I have it at 1 to get as good black levels as possible. It also makes the colours richer
post #7 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Why do you have backlight so high? I have it at 1 to get as good black levels as possible. It also makes the colours richer

Hey oqvist.
These are not my personal settings.
Here you will find different settings that other users have on their sets.
My hope is that this thread will help people find settings that work for them and their visual taste.
Personally, I have my backlight at 4 (not too high, not too low).
I find that if you bring the backlight too low... yes, you will get deeper blacks but you also lose some gradient in the contrast.
I guess it all depends on what your other settings are (to balance things out).
Could you post your full settings here?
Could be very helpful!
Thanks!
Take care.

Check out my thread:
post #8 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 02:10 PM

Awesome Thread
post #9 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN View Post

Awesome Thread

Thanks a ton!!!!
Glad that it helps!
We owe it to the people above who posted their settings.

Check out my thread:
post #10 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Backlight at 1? I have mine at 4 also, but one seems way dark, Ill try it but Id imagine brightness would have to be notched up a ton to be able to see anything.

CROPPED < OAR < OPEN MATTE -- OOOOH I SAID IT!
post #11 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

glad u guys are doing this thread. now please ad some pictures for those of us still on the fence a bit. call em drool shots...hell a few will do. after you calibrate your set. lol

post #12 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 04:34 PM

fantastic thread, those other XBR2 threads are way too complicated and off-topic most of the time!
post #13 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 PM

fantastic thread, those other XBR2 threads are way too complicated and off-topic most of the time!
post #14 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I did the CNET and can honestly say the pics looked to dark turn on the light sensor and boom, Now baby got his new machine. I have a few others that I want to try
because you have to tweak to get the best, Let me know if anyone wants the next set.

There aren't any stupid questions just stupid people who prefer to do it themselves and BOOM!
post #15 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 08:06 PM

So far I'm using the cnet settings except I've upped the backlight to 4. Picture seems to be very natural and, sometimes, amazing depending on the source.

TheOx
post #16 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you all, l I ony have the pety 40xbr 2 but we have the same exact comtrols. These sets up should work good, The CNET control was nasty There was nothing to like all the light was elimaed that was nit right, Why hide all the light when the TV drives it selfwith it's big bright lights It is too late to do the other buit I will wiil wake uo and given the to you then. good luck and lets break the code. WE want if fixed right and fixed by US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

There aren't any stupid questions just stupid people who prefer to do it themselves and BOOM!
post #17 of 1418 Old 09-08-2006, 11:19 PM

I tried all the settings in this thread, and like the CNet settings the best. Some of the other suggestions seemed a little too washed out for my (untrained) eyes.

My room is pretty dark right now, so we'll see how they are tomorrow afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN View Post

Awesome Thread

Hey I know you (I think -- if not, I apologize!). Good to see I'm not the only one buying themself a graduation present.
post #18 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 02:53 AM

Ok here it´s. I have the Sony KDL32V2000 (also known as 32XBR1 I think) 32" monitor.

I use VGA since it seem to give better image quality then HDMI output. I hook it up to a computer so I upsample the DVDs so I make better use of the 1366/768 resolution.

Anyway this is my settings.

Power saving mode=high
back light=1 (don´t make much difference running higher)

Contrast 80-100 seems optimum
light strength=38-42

colour cool or warmth 2 generally depending on movie. Warmth 2 I use for games and for tropic environment movies lol.

I don´t use any filters at all. Not on VGA of course since they aren´t available but not otherwise ever. When hooking up through SCART wide colours is nice in some movies like Supernaturals but otherwise hard to choose.

I went from a top of the line 22" diamondtron monitor and have tried to tweak this to get the same IQ. It´s not totally there but close . These settings I have is to get decent black levels since brightness is really not an issue running only at 38 . that said I do get clearer whites and deeper blacks with the CRT...
post #19 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 03:36 AM

Quote:

Ok here it´s. I have the Sony KDL32V2000 (also known as 32XBR1 I think) 32" monitor.

Thought this thread was about the 46" XBR2???
Couple of mighty strange postings above...

At any rate I'm almost a month with mine and am going to have mine prof. calibrated by Greg L. sometime around the end of this month. I haven't bothered with any DVD calibration tools, just good old trial and error. The picture in HD and SD is really terrific anyway!
Bob

"I'm supposed to drive a flying car"
"I'm supposed to have a house on Mars"
"I'm supposed to live 200 years"
"Future"
Todd Rundgren "Liars" CD/DVDA
post #20 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 06:14 AM

These are the settings I've been using for a week or so for my Charter Cable supplied SA3250HD cable box using it's DVI out to HDMI on the XBR2.

Mode: custom
Backlight: 6
Picture: 77
Brightness: 65
Color: 48
Color Temp: Warm1
Sharpness: 60
Noise reduction: Off
DRC Mode: 1 for non HD channels
DRC Palette defaults

Advanced settings:
Black corrector: low
Advanced C.E.: low
Gamma: med
Clear white: off
Live color: off
Color space: normal
White balance: default
Detail enhancer: off
Edge enhancer: off

Wide menu
Display area: full pixel

Setup menu
Color matrix: standard
Game Mode: off
Power saving: off
Light sensor: off
CineMotion: auto ( Just set this to auto has been off up until now, don't know what this does yet)

Screen:
Wide Mode-normal
Auto Wide: on
4:3 Default: off
Display area: normal

Nascar on TNT HD last night looked incredible, no motion blur, no pixellation ( except for some in car camera shots where the track lighting was blasting through the drivers window directly into the camera lens, which is apparently SD ? ).

"Future"
post #21 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna5 View Post

Thought this thread was about the 46" XBR2???
Couple of mighty strange postings above...

At any rate I'm almost a month with mine and am going to have mine prof. calibrated by Greg L. sometime around the end of this month. I haven't bothered with any DVD calibration tools, just good old trial and error. The picture in HD and SD is really terrific anyway!
Bob

Luna it´s the same monitor just different sizes...

only thing differing from XBR 1 and XBR 2 is claimed contrast levels. 1300:1 and 1700:1
post #22 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Luna it´s the same monitor just different sizes...

only thing differing from XBR 1 and XBR 2 is claimed contrast levels. 1300:1 and 1700:1

Sorry I didn't know that the KDL32V2000 was the same montor as the 46" XBR2 except for size. I thought that the XBR2's were the first LCD's that Sony is offering with 1080P native resolution, and DRC 2.5. My error!
Bob

"Future"
post #23 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 AM

DRC 2.5??? lol. Anyway from what I read from the specifications it´s the same tube and all. Resolution may change but that don´t affect the settings necessarily . I guess 1080p with 46 " is like 720 with a 32" monitor

But it has the exact same adjustments to it from what I can tell .

Anyway I think it can be quite useful for sure.
post #24 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:

More light helps bring out more details. I've got backlight up to 4 to bring out more details in close up of people's faces in DVDs. I have not gone far enough to consider rich colors and black levels. I'll keep your views in mind in the future.

I visually calibrate by looking at details in close up faces, details in images in shadows and finally details in images in bright sun light. In the DVDs I've used in calibrating, there were not a lot of colors (like in disney movies). I recommend using Superbit dvds with an up converter to do dvd calibration. It' looks pretty close to high def. Best Buy is selling them for $10 US (they are getting rid of them to make room for HD DVD and Blu Ray).
post #25 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost24 View Post

Posted by DacHawk in "Official Sony 40",46" XBR2, XBR3 Lcd'S NO PRICE TALK!" thread:

After reviewing other cal settings in this thread, I changed my noise reduction level from Med to Off. Helps bring out more details. Thanks!BL: 4
Noise: Off
post #26 of 1418 Old 09-09-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost24 View Post

After reviewing other cal settings in this thread, I changed my noise reduction level from Med to Off. Helps bring out more details. Thanks!
BL: 4
Noise: Off
post #27 of 1418 Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Good job guys!!
Thanks for posting your thoughts/settings here.
I've come to realize that when you change your settings to a new one, don't compare it right away to the previous settings you had...
Turn off the T.V. and come back to it + or - 30 minutes after.
Now look at the T.V. with the new settings you added.
You might like them better this way.
I had adopted the cnet.com settings and wasn't entirely pleased with them right away. But after I turned off the T.V. and came back to it later in the day... I thought they were pretty good.
I hope I'm not sounding confusing...
This is a technique used when mixing music. You should walk away from the sound mix in order to "clean up" your hearing. This way when you come back you won't be comparing your new mix/setting to anything.
Hope this helps.
Please keep posting. The more, the better!!

Check out my thread:
post #28 of 1418 Old 09-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Here are the picture settings that I converged on after too many hours of tweaking...

Backlight: 3
Picture: 90
Brightness: 53
Color: 48
Color Temp.: Neutral
Sharpness: 55
Noise Reduction: Off
DRC Mode: Off

Advanced Settings:
Black Corrector: Off
Advanced C.E.: Off
Gamma: Low
Clear White: Off
Color Space: Normal
White Balance: All 0
Detail Enhancer: Medium
Edge Enhancer: Off
post #29 of 1418 Old 09-11-2006, 04:44 PM

By the way, I can't say I'm really happy with the picture I get with these settings. I just like the picture I get with these settings more than what I get with other settings that I tried.

The main problem is that it seems impossible to get good dark area detail while avoiding a somewhat "washed out" picture. Enabling black correctoin or C.E. improves contrast and provides a better picture in some ways, but dark area detail is lost. Disabling those features results in a somewhat "grayish" picture, and this affects many aspects of the picture, including skin tones.

By the way, I think DRC is somewhat buggy. Occasionally, parts of the picture become unstable (they start flashing or "pulsating") when DRC is enabled. Certain color patterns tend to trigger this. The problem goes away when DRC is disabled.
post #30 of 1418 Old 09-12-2006, 03:14 PM

One other comment: I think the detail enhancer setting doesn't affect anything when DRC is off. If so, I wonder why Sony didn't just gray it out when DRC is disabled.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page