OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to say I got the LN-S4695D few days ago and I just don't have enough words to say how happy I am. I don't even have the TV hooked up yet to HD cable nor DTV but I connected this little old TV antenna I have and started to receive free on HD channels and WOW..! it blew up me out my socks.. I enjoyed watching the world series with less than 60% reception and the PQ was stunning.

Tried it with the Xbox360 and it looks amazing also played some movies and trailers using the Xbox360 and it was jaw dropping....

In fact my father in law and my brother came in to see my just finished family room and wanted me to show them the new TV when they saw the amazing picture right away they asked me how much and also asked me to go with them to buy it LMAO..!

Samsung should pay me for this.... both are now planning on buying one just like mine. It was funny cause my father in law told me I was making a mistake buying a LCD TV cause his best friend has one and it looks really bad... who knows what TV his friend had... but I could see his jaw dropping when he saw some local channels....

After all I'm very very happy... no complains at all... everything looks stunning to me coming from a good STD JVC TV.

I am very excited with this new toy, the PQ and features it has... I was very worried of not picking the right choice.. I was debating between a plasma Pioneer and a Aquos Sharp LCD TV and I'm happy to report I got the right choice IMO.

Good luck to everybody.. I'm at work right now but when I get a chance I will post some pictures.. and excuse me... I don't have the TV furniture yet... it's on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 04:20 AM

Good to hear Diesel.

Wondering if someone can help me out. I for the life of me can not figure out how to get to the energy saving feature. I was fooling around with the TV at CC the other day and I had no idea how to access it.

Thanks very much.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
NOTE TO ALL 4095D owners

You can now get 1080p via VGA cable on the XBOX 360. It is probably the only resolution of HD via VGA. So far it looks great...

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Raven do you know if you can get 1080P over component on your Samsung? I know very few tvs support this...but I thought it was worth asking as the 360 only pushes through vga or component at this time (with hdmi possible in the future).
Old 10-31-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight06 View Post

Good to hear Diesel.

Wondering if someone can help me out. I for the life of me can not figure out how to get to the energy saving feature. I was fooling around with the TV at CC the other day and I had no idea how to access it.

Thanks very much.

I'm assuming the remote is not available to you. On my 4095, press the menu button on the right side of the TV, scroll to the "setup" item, select "enter", then scroll down to "energy saving".

"Enter" is the top button (source select), "Menu" is second from the top, and the "scroll" button is the third (volume control).
Old 10-31-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Raven do you know if you can get 1080P over component on your Samsung? I know very few tvs support this...but I thought it was worth asking as the 360 only pushes through vga or component at this time (with hdmi possible in the future).

I got the xbox 360 upgrade this morning. I am using component cable and getting 1080p on my 4095. Looks good.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

NOTE TO ALL 4095D owners

You can now get 1080p via VGA cable on the XBOX 360. It is probably the only resolution of HD via VGA. So far it looks great...

I tried this and still get no picture. How did you do this? thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigword78 View Post

I tried this and still get no picture. How did you do this? thanks

make sure to change the settings on your xbox 360.... the new option is there.. once you set it, it should flick onto the new setting and have no problem

i tried both component and vga for 1080p... they both looked good but i didnt have enough time to get a good feel of both...watched the trailers of coral reef and t2 in 1080p via the Media Center...

i will take pictures later on today of my findings...

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Old 10-31-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:

make sure to change the settings on your xbox 360.... the new option is there.. once you set it, it should flick onto the new setting and have no problem

i tried both component and vga for 1080p... they both looked good but i didnt have enough time to get a good feel of both...watched the trailers of coral reef and t2 in 1080p via the Media Center...

well, I had to do this blindly, and just listen to the sound effects from the 360 to do it, but it works. Too bad the colors look so washed out. Anybody care to share picture settings?
Old 10-31-2006, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight06 View Post

Good to hear Diesel.

Thanks very much.

Hi Tunne,

I have a button in my remote (LN4695) "E. Saving" or something like that. That's what I use to change the E Saving features. It's located on top right side by the channel buttons.

Regards...
Old 10-31-2006, 09:08 AM

Hey guys

Checked around, and have not seen this addressed?

How does the PIP work? SPLIT SCREEN, Little Box, is it adjustable? etc.......

And what type of hookups do you need to make it work, I heard it cant be done with satellite? ..............

Thought some of you owners know this stuff.........

Thanks

MD
Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I downloaded the 1080p trailers from MS as well. Just wondering if your was widescreen??? Looks pretty darn good but dont' have the VGA cable yet, just over component right now. I have the 4695D
Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:

I have a 4696D and am getting 1080P looking good over component although when I plug in the VGA cable it's giving me a signal error. Strange though because at one time it gave off a distorted picture then went back to the error. I'd prefer to have it in VGA mode as I read that is the only way you can take advantage of the DVD upscaling the new software has. Am I wrong on this?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:37 PM

I bought a sceptre x37sv naga last year because it was a bargain. It has been a good tv so far but, with the ps3 coming soon, i will be needing something with at least 2 hdmi inputs.

i was wondering if anyone here has had experience with both the sceptre and the samsung and can give me an impression of whether or not i should trade up. will it be a world of difference or am i just paying extra for a slightly larger screen and an extra hdmi port?

i am a comcast hd subscriber, xbox 360 user, and soon to be a ps3 owner.

any impressions or advice is appreciated.

thanks
Old 11-02-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxDieselxXx View Post

Hi Tunne,

I have a button in my remote (LN4695) "E. Saving" or something like that. That's what I use to change the E Saving features. It's located on top right side by the channel buttons.

Regards...

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can indeed. Since the latest Xbox 360 update it can output a 1080p signal through the component connection. I set it to 1080P on my 360 and looked at the TV "info" and confirmed it went from 1080i to 1080p. So the TV handles 1080P component just fine.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsolo View Post

A couple of questions regarding setup. I have an older progressive scan DVD player (Memorex MVD2028 R0) which outputs 480p over component. Is it worth replacing this with an upconverting DVD player which outputs 720p/1080i over HDMI? Will the PQ be any better.

If you have a decent progressive DVD player, I would say its not worth it. Unless you are going to spent a lot of money on a much higher end DVD player, you simply won't see any significant improvement. I have a few posts about that.

I say wait for HD DVD or Blu Ray and just skip the upscaling DVD.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:42 PM

Hi guys, what a great forum. I recently bought the sammy 4051 for a good price at BB and had it for 29 days. On the eve of the 29th day, after much research, I returned it and got the 4095. I love this tv and am sure it will bring me years of pleasure. I'm still playing around with the settings but without having a calibration DVD I don't really know what I'm doing. I have tried to plug in some of the settings found in this thread, but I guess it all comes down to personal preference in the end. Movie Mode and Warm 2 do seem to be a good starting point though, and I'm still messing with DNIe on and off. The PQ is great through my SA 8300 cable box on both SD and HD channels. I still have to hook up my DVD player to see the PQ thru it. Hopefully it looks crappy so I can upgrade it to Blueray. Thanks to all the informed posters here for helping me make the decision to pull the trigger on this tv.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:45 PM

mhem67 - I have the 4695d and I am using a Bose Lifestyle 28 (which has a DVD Player) - I too was thinking I wanted to upgrade my player soon until I watched my first DVD on the older (3 years) Bose DVD - it looks fantastic!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Do you guys notice any uneven "cloudiness" on black screens such as when no input is selected? It s not really bothering me as it is completely beautiful under normal viewing...i was just curious if this was sort of inherent to LCD technology and displaying black. It seems like very slight backlight blockage inconsistency and is really just in the lower corners.

I should add it seems like it changes depending on my angle which again leads me to believe this is just part of LCD screens.

Serious thumbs up for this set (4695). I added my impressions on the "so you got an lcd" sticky post. I could not be happier with my choice.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 PM

I just got my 4095 today and it is a beautiful set but i am having trouble with souce switching using the harmony remote.

i have my xbox 360 plugged into the vga port and the remote set up to turn on the tv, turn on the 360, switch to PC source. All seems well except for the fact that the tv runs through all sources twice (skipping over PC each time) and lands on the hdmi input.

i suspect that, because the 360 doesn't output a video signal right away during boot, when the tv hits the pc source it doesn't find anything and keeps on looking until it comes back to the hdmi, sees my cabel signal and stops.

has anyone else run into this problem? if so, were you able to correct it?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 AM

Is there a way to tone down the green color that this set puts out?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you guys notice any uneven "cloudiness" on black screens such as when no input is selected? It s not really bothering me as it is completely beautiful under normal viewing...i was just curious if this was sort of inherent to LCD technology and displaying black. It seems like very slight backlight blockage inconsistency and is really just in the lower corners.

I should add it seems like it changes depending on my angle which again leads me to believe this is just part of LCD screens.

Serious thumbs up for this set (4695). I added my impressions on the "so you got an lcd" sticky post. I could not be happier with my choice.

I notice that aswell. I have seen it in a Nissan commercial....has their logo and a black backdrop, I see an uneven cloudiness of black. I think it has to do with me having the DNie on and my contrast high (75) and everything else relatively a little over half way. I havent really calibrated it like many have said here. I have tweaked it to my liking.. The cloudiness only happens in SD channels/programs right?! I dont think I see that in HD broadcasts. I'll have to keep an eye out and report back. I have the same model you have (4695D) and I love mine!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM

Has anyone had their 4696 professionally calibrated? Can you share your settings for each picture mode? Also, Does anyone else have calibration settings they are happy with that would not mind sharing them with the rest of us.......thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Groove...yeah, I am loving this set as well. It takes my breath away every time. I was more talking about the all black screen and just some unevenness in the backlighting but the more I have analyzed it the more I think I was being way too uptight and looking for problems.

I do get the cloudiness you are talking about on SD. I am working on that by trying to tweak settings and improve the source. It is all just an effort to getthe most out of it I can because I LOVE THIS SET!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 PM

I got the 4095d and I'm very impressed. Using the component and vga at 1080p with my 360 and all is well. However, I do like the picture better with the component cables though for the 360. I have the Xbox HD-dvd player on pre-order so should have it by the end of this week or next week.

I watch alot of sports and couldn't be happier with all the HD programming available. I think ESPN HD looks the best so far and all my buddies love it.

Does anyone think a DVD-upscaling player would be good? Mine only does 480p over component.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post

You can indeed. Since the latest Xbox 360 update it can output a 1080p signal through the component connection. I set it to 1080P on my 360 and looked at the TV "info" and confirmed it went from 1080i to 1080p. So the TV handles 1080P component just fine.

how did you switch it to 1080p when i go into the xbox360 set up screen there is no 1080p there
Old 11-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Groove...yeah, I am loving this set as well. It takes my breath away every time. I was more talking about the all black screen and just some unevenness in the backlighting but the more I have analyzed it the more I think I was being way too uptight and looking for problems.

I do get the cloudiness you are talking about on SD. I am working on that by trying to tweak settings and improve the source. It is all just an effort to getthe most out of it I can because I LOVE THIS SET!

Ahh ok. I dont think I have any unevenness with the backlighting and if I do, I havent noticed it. Hell, I love this set now and will continue to enjoy it for as long as I have it. Enjoy yours aswell

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the issues with a totally black screen... what I see is essentially a sort of imprint of the image from right before the screen went to black. I see this with both SD and HD, kinda like it's inherent in LCDs or inherent in Samsung LCDs. While it looks odd, it doesn't impact any actual moving images, so I decided not to fret about it. It has been described as persistence.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Old 11-07-2006, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post

how did you switch it to 1080p when i go into the xbox360 set up screen there is no 1080p there

Did you get the latest software update? It was just released last week and the addition of 1080P as an option was added as part of that. I drool every time I watch to boot up screen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread