Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Interesting. Film Mode is only "active" in TV, Video, S-Video, and Component 480i mode. I don't use any of those modes (well I do use component for my DVD player, but that device is set to send progressive to the TV)! SD content comes through my cable STB (8300HD), either live or playing from the 8300's disk.

But thanks for taking the time to help!

I haven't upgraded my Dish STB to HD yet, so I'm still using an S-Video connection. I guess that's why it works for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 11:13 AM

i posted this in another thread, but i'll post here as well. I have the same exact issue. I just got my tv 2 weeks ago and I even returned the samsung player and got a toshiba and it does the same exact thing at 1080i. I've tried both inputs on the back of the TV, I've tried 2 different cables and the problem still exists. My feeling is that these new 4695 models have an updated firmware which could be causing the problem. Maybe when you tried it in Best Buy they have an older version of the TV with an older firmware which is why it works.

I've not tried component hook ups, but I'll try that and see what happens. I'm going to be testing out a PS3 today and I'll see how the BluRay does, who knows if it'll show the same symptoms.

This is a pretty big issue I think so if anyone comes up with anything please let me know and I'll do the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwong View Post

I have the same problem. Any help? Samsung customer service is horrible!

Quote:
I've had my 4695 for 2 weeks now but hooked it up for the first time with an HDMI cable to my DVD player, a Samsung HD860, yesterday. All is fine when the player is set to 480p and upconversion to 720p. However, when switched to 1080i upconversion, the screen flickers nonstop in a purple color. Even if a disk isn't in the player and just the Samsung "screensaver" is up the same thing happens. I took the player to BB and hooked it up to their 4695 using my same HDMI cable and it worked fine. Called Samsung and they don't know. Anybody have any ideas?

Same exact problem here.
This is annoying.
I took the 4695 back and got a new one, and the problem still persists.
and i did exactly the same thing you did, i took the player to BB, plugged it in, and it performed flawlessly. At home, though is another story.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
mikey

post #543 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixelBuddy View Post

Hey, I was wondering how long it typically takes for your TV to startup? From when I hit the power button till it displays an image is something between 15-20 seconds. Is this normal?

Sounds about right, at least my 4095D takes that long.
post #544 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 PM

whats the difference between thhe 4095 and 4096?
post #545 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin2 View Post

Is the VGA input 1:1 pixel mapping?

I read a rumor that a firmware fix might be available for resolving the overscan issues...

For kicks I called tech support and emailed tech support to do my part in stressing the importance of getting a firmware update.

Both times I was told there is no update available, nor is one planned in the near future regarding the just scan mode or defeating overscan.

Not the response I was hoping for but not giving up yet.
post #546 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post

whats the difference between thhe 4095 and 4096?

4096 has cable card
post #547 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPixelBuddy View Post

Hey, I was wondering how long it typically takes for your TV to startup? From when I hit the power button till it displays an image is something between 15-20 seconds. Is this normal?

mine does.
post #548 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

For kicks I called tech support and emailed tech support to do my part in stressing the importance of getting a firmware update.

Both times I was told there is no update available, nor is one planned in the near future regarding the just scan mode or defeating overscan.

Not the response I was hoping for but not giving up yet.

I can't see how it can be released in one geography but not another. Hopefully just a matter of time.
post #549 of 4616 Old 12-03-2006, 10:44 PM

i got my sammy 4095D from Best Buy tonight and i am having an issue.
I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
i hope this issue was not mentioned before but i read this thread and did not read anything like this???

I am using my tv with Rogers cable hd pvr SA 8300HD.
WHen i connect via HDMI philips ultimate Cable the tv displays hdtv channels with a 1080i feed it has no problems.
when i turn to a non HDTV channel with a 480i feed it says no signal????

I have to use the PVR remote and hit the # button to change to 1080i zoom before i get any picture at all but with it being in zoom mode the pic is really bad and cut off?

when i toggle through the 1080i zooms and get back to the 480i feed for a split second you can see the picture with the bars on the side but then goes immediately to no signal????

I got frustrated and changed to component cable connection and there is no issues....

on my sharp 42d62u i just returned for this tv did not have this issue.......

other than this which i am thinking is something i am doing wrong the tv rocks....hd pic is super clear even with component video feed.

PLEASE if anyone knows of my issue and has any solutions please post
i would like to thank everyone in advance for all your help!!!!!
post #550 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensteinberg View Post

Just got a 4695D and love the HD pic, and SD is much better than I had expected. Has anyone noticed minute scratches at various places on the glossy frame? I ordered mine from amazon and it appeared to be new with the straps on the box etc, so I wonder if this is from when it was made or maybe when taking off the protective bag cover. They did all buff out with the cleaning cloth though.

I had scratches on the bezel and finger prints on the screen. Mine was delivered by TVAuthority on the last day of October and had a manufacture date of August. I was convinced that the TV had been used prior to being sent to me. Initially I demanded a new TV, but we came up with a financial resolution to the matter since it appeared that the TV was operating without problems. Still a frustrating experience nonetheless and I would be very leary of ordering anything from TVAuthority again.
post #551 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 AM

Ive been reading the latter 10 pages of this thread and there is still something that is unclear:

- For the 4696D, there has several reports that there is an existing firmware available, but only in a certain region. But is there also a firmware for the 4695D or do they both use the same firmware? Do all the LN4xxx models use the same firware?

I really want to know because It will affect my decision on whether i should go for the 96 or the 95. I don't really need DCR and would rather save a few hundred bux by going for the 95, but I also want 1:1 pixel mapping as well for HDMI.
post #552 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 07:53 AM

Liked: 12
Just to put the overscan in perspective for PC users - you CAN connect PC to HDMI and eliminate overscan using the nVidia video card tools. Sure, you end up with something like 1880x1005 instead of 1920x1080 but it's the whole screen and difference in resolution is hardly noticeable.
post #553 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnelight06 View Post

I had scratches on the bezel and finger prints on the screen. Mine was delivered by TVAuthority on the last day of October and had a manufacture date of August. I was convinced that the TV had been used prior to being sent to me. Initially I demanded a new TV, but we came up with a financial resolution to the matter since it appeared that the TV was operating without problems. Still a frustrating experience nonetheless and I would be very leary of ordering anything from TVAuthority again.

I understand your pain caused by ordering from TVAuthority. I am in the middle of an order mix-up!

One way to check if the set was used or never turned on...when you first turned it on, did the TV prompt for HOME or SHOP mode? If so, then It most likely was not turned on (unless this can be reset to ask again at the next power on).
post #554 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 08:50 AM

thank you for the PM's.

yes the Rogers SA 8300HD receiver was set to accept 480i signals but the TV via HDMI connection does not accept this signal.

I removed the 480i from the list off the receiver set up and now its fine.
on non HD channels i get the 480P feed with grey bars on the side.
I can use the tv's stretch mode o remove the grey bars if i want but for now i will just keep the COMPONENT VIDEO connection since i cannot see too much of a difference in picture quality since i have not watched too much on it yet.

one question to the Rogers or anyone using the SA 8300HD receiver.
when i did the TV link to the receivers remote the code was found and the tv did turn on.
I pressed SELECT to confirm and then when i press TV power or TV Volume nothing happens.
i thought it was just me so i redid it and again when i did the code it worked and turned off the TV so i pressed SELECT.
WHen i press TV POWER OR VOLUME again nothing happens. this time though i did notice that when i press volume up or down or tv power the blue light on the power button does recognize the request from the SA 8300HD remote but nohting happens.

i notice when i use the samsung's tv remote to change volumes it flashes quickly and does not stay solid.

when i use the SA 8300HD remote to turn volum up and down or press tv power its a solid light?

anyone successful at using the SA 8300HD remote to control TV power and TV volume?

i want to be sure before i buy a LOGITECH HARMONY or PHILIPS PRONTO that it will work.

thank you all once again for your time and consideration in reading my post.

i would appreciate any help any one of you guru's can offer.
post #555 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tender View Post

I understand your pain caused by ordering from TVAuthority. I am in the middle of an order mix-up!

One way to check if the set was used or never turned on...when you first turned it on, did the TV prompt for HOME or SHOP mode? If so, then It most likely was not turned on (unless this can be reset to ask again at the next power on).

It absolutely, positively did not prompt me to answer this. Now, I'm even more ticked, because this confirms my initial suspicions. I'm not so sure a savings of $300 is worth buying a used set, depending I guess on how much it was used. Oh well, I guess it's a done deal now, I'm beyond the 30 days.
post #556 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM

Mine asked me to choose. I think the problem is that the shiny bezel is just very sensitive to any contact. Since I took off the stand, I washed my hand and lightly dragged it across it and it left scratches visible from certain angles, just like the tv. I suspect that taking the plastic bag while unboxing it can do this even if it just grazes it, but like I said, they buff out. Either that or it is just a remnant from being made. I wouldn't call them scratches really, more like scuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tender View Post

post #557 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 10:35 AM

My 8300hd controls both power and volume, but I used the second code in the book because holding the volume button down would only advance it one notch with the first code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandviper View Post

thank you for the PM's.

yes the Rogers SA 8300HD receiver was set to accept 480i signals but the TV via HDMI connection does not accept this signal.

I removed the 480i from the list off the receiver set up and now its fine.
on non HD channels i get the 480P feed with grey bars on the side.
I can use the tv's stretch mode o remove the grey bars if i want but for now i will just keep the COMPONENT VIDEO connection since i cannot see too much of a difference in picture quality since i have not watched too much on it yet.

one question to the Rogers or anyone using the SA 8300HD receiver.
when i did the TV link to the receivers remote the code was found and the tv did turn on.
I pressed SELECT to confirm and then when i press TV power or TV Volume nothing happens.
i thought it was just me so i redid it and again when i did the code it worked and turned off the TV so i pressed SELECT.
WHen i press TV POWER OR VOLUME again nothing happens. this time though i did notice that when i press volume up or down or tv power the blue light on the power button does recognize the request from the SA 8300HD remote but nohting happens.

i notice when i use the samsung's tv remote to change volumes it flashes quickly and does not stay solid.

when i use the SA 8300HD remote to turn volum up and down or press tv power its a solid light?

anyone successful at using the SA 8300HD remote to control TV power and TV volume?

i want to be sure before i buy a LOGITECH HARMONY or PHILIPS PRONTO that it will work.

thank you all once again for your time and consideration in reading my post.

i would appreciate any help any one of you guru's can offer.

post #558 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 AM

I recieved my 4095 from Amazon on Friday. TV is awesome, price was great and I had no problems with the free shipping.

I have a question about hooking it up to my SA 8300HD cable box from Time Warner in Manhattan. Under the output type section of the settings, I can set the available outputs to include both 1080i and 720p, where it will switch the ouput signal depending on the type of HD feed.

Is there any benefit in allowing both settings to pass to the TV or should I just set it to 1080i?

I'm guessing if the issue is whether the TV or the cable box will do a better job upconverting the 720 signal to 1080.

I'm currently using component cables, but will probably order an HDMI cable to see if it improves the picture at all and to confirm my HDMI ports are working correctly.

Any input would be appreciated.
post #559 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah a fellow Manhattanite! I much prefer the 8300 to send a "raw" signal to the TV and let the TV do any scaling/deinterlacing. FWIW, I found that using component cables gave me a visibly darker image than HDMI. I would generally prefer HDMI anyway because it's a digital connection, not analog. Analog can pick up distortion from other equipment, digital is fairly immune to that.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #560 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 03:03 PM

I own a Samsung LN-S4095D. My cable provider is Shaw using Motorola DCT6416. Input is HDMI. I purchased from BB roughly 3 weeks ago so I have another week to return it if it is defective.

Generally speaking I am satisfied with the set.

I am noticing an observable grid pattern that seems to be visible with rapidly changing images but at times even on fairly static images. It is noticable in both SD television and HD television. In SD the grid is about 1CM Sq. In HD it is about half of that. In HD it doesn't appear to be a perfectly square grid. The squares are slightly taller than they are wide.

The grid is not always observable. Certain video feeds are displayed flawlessly. In SD I can see the grid from 15 feet away if I look really closely. In HD I have to be fairly close to the set to notice it.

I also notice that the blacks can be somewhat cloudy at times. A large static and black image such as deep space will have blocks of pixels which are displayed as a slightly different shade of black. Incidently, the blocks of pixels would likely fit into one of the grid squares mentioned above. I suspect this is either my configuration or simply a limitation of LCD technology but any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

Many thanks!
post #561 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 PM

I had time to fool around with the Set some more.
I tried unhooking the HDMI cable, but it still gave me flashing purple.
I tried the store mode. same thing.

the quest continues.
FWIW is anyone getting 1080i over HDMI with an upconverting DVD player?

cheers,
Mikey

Home is where my theatre is.
post #562 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I will either return my unbalanced 4695 to Best Buy or get Samsung to send me a new swivel base....again, the set is tilting forward starting from the top of the screen down. And the left side of the tv is about 1/4 shorter than the right side. I don't feel like leaning the tv on the ground, taking off the base and re-attaching it. The tv should have arrived balanced, as is.

The only thing is the picture looks very good...I worry that if I exchange it for another one, the second one will have some other issue. Maybe I should just cut my losses and keep this darn thing.

One other odd thing: when changing channels, of course...the screen turns bright grey, while switching to another channel on TWC HD. The left and right sides of the screen are MUCH brighter than the middle....when the grey screen appears...but this disparity in color does not seem to apply to dark scenes.

Strange.
post #563 of 4616 Old 12-04-2006, 09:45 PM

still no luck here, but i did see that my cable box is set to 1080i and that causes no problem. So how could the cable box work fine at 1080i but the upconvert player at 1080i has the flicker????? arrrrggggggg...soo frustrated. I'd like to find out more about firmware as well. how do i check the firmware version on my tv??

i'm almost tempted to return the tv and get the 50'' 1080p DLP that samsung has

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leef DaLucky View Post

the quest continues.

cheers,
Mikey

post #564 of 4616 Old 12-05-2006, 12:38 AM

Excuse the ignorance from a Newbie, but what is "overscan"?

Thanks, Jeff
post #565 of 4616 Old 12-05-2006, 02:25 AM

After a lot of debating I finally bought the Samsung LNS4095D from Best Buy. I am getting digital cable installed on Wednesday. Basic cable is really grainy and just plain bad, but that was expected. I just hope it will significantly change for the better when it gets hooked up to the HDR cable box via HDMI. I have noticed a couple things about this set that's really making me uneasy.

1. The piano finish is nice, but scratches with even the most cautious handling.
2. When the picture is all black I notice a diagonal cloud across the screen and it looks spotty? I was expecting a more darker shade of black.
3. I have counted about 10 or more dead/stuck/lit/colored pixels. (I have great eyesight and I adjusted my eyes about 2" away from the screen before I noticed these pixels.)

I don't know if everyone else does this, but considering how much money I spent on this TV I was expecting it to be flawless. Is 10 or more pixels reason enough to exchange it at Best Buy or should I call Samsung? Thanks in advance.
post #566 of 4616 Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 AM

I think 10 pixels is excessive. I have two on mine, but the consolation is that the backlight is near perfectly even...I can't find any banding even if I try, so I just sit back a couple feet and the pixels disappear.
post #567 of 4616 Old 12-05-2006, 09:02 AM

Which DVD player did you try?

My Zenith gave me issue and the Philips DVP-5960 doesn't have this problem. Is there a weakness in TV or dvd player did not perform?

Quote:

the quest continues.

cheers,
Mikey

post #568 of 4616 Old 12-05-2006, 09:40 AM

i was using my aunts Sammy HD860.
It's the only DVD with HDMI output i have access to.
I have an LG7832 (zenith) down in the basement but it only has DVI output.
I might stop by tigerdirect and pick up a DVI->HDMI cable just for a test.
but you've already stated that the purple problem still exists with your zenith ( the 318, i'm assuming) so it doesn't make much sense.

I mailed samsung earlier this week. We'll see if they can come up with anything.

TC, are you saying that you can hookup a Philips to this and get 1080i over HDMI without incident?

Home is where my theatre is.
post #569 of 4616 Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 AM

Hello, this is my first post here. I am Fury413. I purchased the 4095dx during labor day weekend. I must say I am extremely happy with my decision. I could not see the extra money for the 4096dx model. I feed my samsung with a High Def. Toshiba Direct TV Sat. box. using component video cables. The sat. box does have DVI out but after doing a side by side comparison the DVI out's colors were muted.

I have recently upgraded my DVD player with the new Pioneer Elite DV-46. Using the HDMI output and feeding it directly into the tv produces the most stunning picture I have ever seen with DVD. This player will output 1080i, 720p, 480p 480i resolutions. The 1080i setting is incredible. I would say to you all, BUY THIS DVD PLAYER!!!!

My only complaint with the tv is with the PIP function. Using the internal HD tuner for local stations does not allow you to use the PIP function when the main source is the internal tuner. If I use my sat. box as my local tuner, I can then use the PIP function and watch 2 local stations at the same time. The remote's buttons are a little stiff and do not register a connection unless you press fairly hard on the button. Also, when switching inputs the tv reacts way to slow. One other thing is that if you feed this tv a crappy signal, it will definitely show you. My motto: Crap in = Crap out

I myself also like computer gaming. Using the tv as a monitor is astounding. Playing the game FARCRY is absolutely phenominal.

It has been a pleasure reading all your comments here on this board. I have used this information in my decision making of my electronic components. To all: keep on watching It'll just get better. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
post #570 of 4616 Old 12-05-2006, 10:53 AM

I got the Zenith DVD player Saturday, and hooked up with the S4095D with HDMI. I tried to upconvert it to 1080i and I got the purple flicker screen. 720p is fine.

I returned the DVD player as defective product, and I browsed AVS forum and found others having the same issue.

I got a new DVD player, the philips, and used the same HDMI cable and the 1080i works fine via HDMI. I have no idea why Zenith didn't work and Philips works. I do get a purple screen for like 1 second when my S4095D is finding the signal from the Philips, and it just corrected itself after finding the signal.

Thanks.

Quote:

i was using my aunts Sammy HD860.
It's the only DVD with HDMI output i have access to.
I have an LG7832 (zenith) down in the basement but it only has DVI output.
I might stop by tigerdirect and pick up a DVI->HDMI cable just for a test.
but you've already stated that the purple problem still exists with your zenith ( the 318, i'm assuming) so it doesn't make much sense.

I mailed samsung earlier this week. We'll see if they can come up with anything.

TC, are you saying that you can hookup a Philips to this and get 1080i over HDMI without incident?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page