OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4615 Old 12-10-2006, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i finally got the VGA for the 360 and my samsung 4695 looks washed out with the VGA...not terrible, but the component is definitely more vibrant and crisp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4615 Old 12-10-2006, 04:20 PM

Liked: 10
i noticed when i have the set on dynamic mode...whenever i switch between hd channels there is ghosting?....but only in dynamic mode and only on the hd channels?....any explanation?..other modes are normal..and sd channels do not display this.

thanks
post #633 of 4615 Old 12-10-2006, 10:03 PM

Does anyone know where I can buy the Samsung LNS-4095D in Mississauga/Toronto, Canada? It used to be on Bestbuy's site, but recently they took it down so I am guessing they are not for sale anymore. I been looking to get this set, but now can't find a store that has it for sale, please help thanks!
post #634 of 4615 Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippZopp View Post

i finally got the VGA for the 360 and my samsung 4695 looks washed out with the VGA...not terrible, but the component is definitely more vibrant and crisp

Read this thread and you will find out why.
post #635 of 4615 Old 12-10-2006, 10:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post

Read this thread and you will find out why.

what thread? the thread we're in now?
post #636 of 4615 Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

what thread? the thread we're in now?

The other Samsung thread has the direct posts but I cross posted here at least once

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8981406
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8987512

And others...

Quote:

So, you'll appreciate our dismay when we plugged in our new ($50!) cable, only to find that our display had serious issues with the 360's VGA connection -- it was entirely washed out, a known issue with the Xbox 360's VGA implementation apparently.

And it has not been fixed by an update yet. I think its possible it could (and should) be fixed down the road. I would not count on it however.
post #637 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 04:09 AM

Does the Samsung LNS-4095D have vga issues? because I want to get one to use for my 360 and hddvd drive. And what about overscan? Does it have that and is that fixable?

I keep hearing about firmware updates, how does that work?
post #638 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought my 4095 a feel days ago, and I'm very happy with this set. My decision to buy it was due to the good coments a read here on this thread.

I hooked up an Oppo DVD 971 trought component (I couldn't get the DVI to HDMI cable yet) an it's not working properly, the picture flashes vertical lines (like vertical lines in pattern test image) over the picture, in all extension of the screen.

This Oppo 971 works perfectly with my old Sharp 32 LCD 768p with component cables as well as DVI cable.

Am I missing something here ? Or is it my TV's fault ?

Has anyone got a similar problem?

Any input would be very apreciated.

Apologise for my English.
post #639 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 07:31 AM

So I pulled my 4696 out of the box yesterday. Before mounting it I ran my Xbox 360 through component 1 at 1080p for about 5 minutes and it looked great.

Our mount was too small, so we went to the store and bought another mount and finally got it hung.

Passed SD signal through the older DirecTV DVR box and it looked great for about 10 minutes. Then I started to detect a subtle flicker.

Even the menus flicker.

I was using a crappy component cable between my Denon receiver and the TV, so I swapped it for audio quest (with the TV off). Turned it back on, and no flicker for about 2-3 minutes and then it started. It seems to come and go.

Any suggestions?
post #640 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:

i'd read that the 360 could output as high as 1080i via component and that if you wanted 1080p you'd have to use the VGA...but blowfelt says he gets 1080p over component

I was wrong...it only outputs 1080i60...I have my Xbox360 set to 1080p but the HD-DVD drive can currently only do 1080i60...Used the info button on my Samsung to confirm it. Apperently it is due to the AACS copy protection scheme.

This is a good FAQ on the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player...
http://forums.xbox.com/8685559/ShowPost.aspx
post #641 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinp View Post

I am beginning to think its Time Warner. I also have Time Warner Cable. On some days the picture on every HD channel is absolutely gorgeous and the SD channels look like they are HD. On other days the pictures on both HD and SD are much to be desired.

I have a computer geek friend who told me that amount of info the cable companies stuff through their lines distort the picture. He said when the telephone companies start to offer cable through their optical lines, every channel would look like HD, because more info can be put through the line. Lets hope Time Warner can get it together soon.

This is an artifact that is created by the "over" compression done by cable companies that continue to support analogue TV. Analogue TV channels take up about 2/3's of their bandwidth...Most of the cable companies are afraid to go completely digital because 75% of their business is still the older generation who are not going to pay for the rental of a STB to get their TV. If they were willing to go all digital then two things could happen, 1) they could use better compression codecs to get a better quality picture with less bandwidth (they are still trying to upgrade their networks to do this anyway to get more out of the third of bandwidth used for digital TV). 2) the freed up bandwidth from no analogue would allow for less compression resulting in no pixelation, while allowing them to increase the number of HDTV channels they could support.

As much as this is simple in theory...it is an expensive upgrade to your full network especailly if your a big company like Time Warner...we will have to wait and see.

Verizon FIOS is an interesting alternative to Cable/Satellite...they bring Fibre right to your house and then use your existing cable/telephone wires in your house to provide their services. There is an article in the latest Home Theatre Magazine on their outlook for the future...their infrastructure could technically handle 1080p transmission which is astounding.

As for what you can do today...not much.

There are video processors which are capable of cleaning up Mpeg2 compression artifacts...though some say they soften the picture too much.

So it is not really a LCD versus plasma debate, it is more how good your video processor is...the higher end TV's tend to have better video processing and therefore can deal with these problems out of the box. You can buy external video processors which can help but as I said above, the picture tends to be softer. At the end of the day, there is only so much you can do with a highly compressed signal.
post #642 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 AM

I got the 4095D 2 weeks ago at BestBuy. Have been pretty happy with the picture especially with hi-def satellite and the XBox 360 HD-DVD. However, when there is a dark sceen approaching black, or when the screen is black and movie credits are being shown, the black is not uniform, it is cloudy. I played with the settings to try to reduce this, but it is always there. There are a few patches, the worst being the paisley shaped swath eminating from the On/Off button.

Are there any 4095D owners that do not have this clouding? I'm trying decide if I should go ahead and exchange the set. Because of this cluding, I did try a Sharp 46D62U for a day, but returned it because the lighter colored scenes, like the sky in "Ice Age" were very streaky, however the black were very dark and uniform.
post #643 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 10:40 AM

[mod]

please don't post pricing on AVS

Thanks
post #644 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 11:06 AM

I posted about this previously under a separate thread, but wanted to include it here in the Samsung owner's thread. I picked up the 4095 yesterday and have had some problems with the PQ--which I attribute mostly to a poor cable feed at this point.

What was more troubling though was that I had the same problems with PS2 games--specifically, in many scenes, the colors within a certain scene or backdrop would be splotchy/contours of different colors. It is not false contouring as far as I can tell, since dark areas are not creeping into light ones, but it is very frustrating nonetheless. For example a sky scene which is supposed to be uniformly blue has splotches of lighter blue within it.

Will be using DVE to calibrate tonight, hope that can make a difference.

And for the previous poster--I have no issue with cloudy backlight. When I switch input to a No Signal screen it is uniformly dark.
post #645 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 12:02 PM

Is the menu from the tv itself flickering? Things like the volume bar, picture setting screens etc? If so, sounds like a defective tv. If it only does it from external sources then you should try to isolate it to see if it's the sources, wires, or even the input board on the tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgascoig View Post

So I pulled my 4696 out of the box yesterday. Before mounting it I ran my Xbox 360 through component 1 at 1080p for about 5 minutes and it looked great.

Our mount was too small, so we went to the store and bought another mount and finally got it hung.

Passed SD signal through the older DirecTV DVR box and it looked great for about 10 minutes. Then I started to detect a subtle flicker.

Even the menus flicker.

I was using a crappy component cable between my Denon receiver and the TV, so I swapped it for audio quest (with the TV off). Turned it back on, and no flicker for about 2-3 minutes and then it started. It seems to come and go.

Any suggestions?

post #646 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote]Originally Posted by lgascoig
"Passed SD signal through the older DirecTV DVR box and it looked great for about 10 minutes. Then I started to detect a subtle flicker"

Originally Posted by stevensteinberg
"Is the menu from the tv itself flickering? Things like the volume bar, picture setting screens etc? If so, sounds like a defective tv. If it only does it from external sources then you should try to isolate it to see if it's the sources, wires, or even the input board on the tv."[/
QUOTE]

I bought my 4095 a week ago, and I've been experiencing the same problem with the TV hooked up via component to the STB, as well as when it is conected to my Oppo DVD 971 player, and via HDMI to my DVD-R Panasonic DMR-ES25S too.
Basicaly the only conection that is working without the flicker is to PC via DSUB.

lgascoig: So I'm very interested in the follow up of your situation. Please let us know.

stevensteinberg: I already isolated the sources and changed the cables and the problem still there.
With my TV, it starts about 15 min afther it is on. So it seems that is happening afther heating up.
Any sugestions ?
Apologise for my English.
post #647 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyLCD View Post

[mod]

please don't post pricing on AVS

Thanks

oops sorry!! Noob mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywitme View Post

Does anyone know where I can buy the Samsung LNS-4095D in Mississauga/Toronto, Canada? It used to be on Bestbuy's site, but recently they took it down so I am guessing they are not for sale anymore. I been looking to get this set, but now can't find a store that has it for sale, please help thanks!

Yes you can buy it at any Sears.

Hey guys... I just ordered my LN-S4695D after doing much reading the set should be here next week. I am a little worried about the overscanning issue but not losing sleep over it.

When I went to look at the LN-s4695 beside the Sony Xbr it seemed like the sony had a much 'brighter' picture. It seems like sony's pixels are emitting more light then sammy's. I tried fiddling around with the sammy to achieve a 'brighter' picture (maybe not using the term properly) but the sony still looked 'brighter'..... is that the case??
post #648 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 04:59 PM

how do you change the TV settings (on the 4695) to 1080p?

My Comcast cable's Component setting displays 1920x1080i @60Hz on the Sammy's info screen...I did change the xbox 360 setting to 1080p (after going a whole weekend of playing not knowing the settings existed ...

a tech from Comcast said they only have 1080i....so is 1080p only good for HD-DVD and Xbox 360/PS3???
post #649 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 05:02 PM

also...how do i watch Standard TV in 480p? Right now I have a basketball game on a non-HD channel and the info screen says 720x480p @60Hz.....and it's coming in horrible...full screen may have something to do with it too....i'm a noob..i just plugged this TV in Friday night..

I subscribe to Comcast, if that helps...
post #650 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
No one is broadcasting in 1080P yet, and they may never. Your only sources rightnow are consoles and Blueray, Hd-dvd.
post #651 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 05:24 PM

may never? HA.

also...would an HDMI connection be an advantage over Component right now? I'm hearing some problems with HDMI on these Sammy's....

thanks for the answer.
post #652 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSCPLAYA View Post

may never? HA.

also...would an HDMI connection be an advantage over Component right now? I'm hearing some problems with HDMI on these Sammy's....

thanks for the answer.

just really depends on what you find looks better. some think hdmi makes the picture too bright, others like hdmi more.

test it out and see what you like more as far as visual quality.
post #653 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 PM

right now Component is beautiful for HD..my only "problem"...I notice some fuzzies during this football game on ESPN HD...thats sitting 6 feet away and only really trying to look for a problem...funny part is, I think the blacks look great on this TV...in no way does anything look gray or ghost or grayish..yesterday's football on CBS HD and NBC HD...I noticed no pixelation...just a little bit of blurring when things get a little fast...a lot of people have been complaining about greens on here too...greens look fine to me...tonight's ESPN HD game has some pixellated (sp?) grass compared to the crystal clear NBC Sunday night game...
post #654 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 PM

Just got my new 40"er LNS4095D last night. Unpacked it and connected all my boxes to my beautiful TV set:

1) I have old Philips DirecTiVo box which I connected through S-video. Workd fine

2) I have the H20 hi-def box from DirecTV (non-DVR). Since it has HDMI output, I connected H20 to TV through HDMI cable. To my surprise, I was not able to make it work on anything but 480p signal coming out of the H20. (I have the button on the front of H20 that allows me to change signal output from 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.) I remember it used to work with my old 32" Samsung HD in 1080i. Why it did not work on 4095D? I end up connecting my H20 through composite and choosing 1080i signal as an output. It looks great, by the way. But the fact that normal HDMI-to-HDMI in 1080i did not work bothers me...

3) I connected my Samsung DVD using DVI-to-HDMI and the picture also looks beatiful

Now, going back to 1080i (or 720p) HDMI-to-HDMI signal from my H20. How can make this work? Is there an option I should check/change in order to allow this? Anybody with both DirecTV service and H20 care to share your experience with setting this whole thing up?

Thanks all!
post #655 of 4615 Old 12-11-2006, 09:56 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have the same problem as me? - When watching certain "SD" broadcasts (even though on HD channels) like Friends, or Family Guy on Fox there are vertical 'lines' which flicker now and again. HD is pure crisp and beautiful. Maybe just that SD is POOR on this set (4696D).

Thanks
post #656 of 4615 Old 12-12-2006, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got a 4096 a few days ago. Hooked up with Direct TV and looking for an HD-DVR. DTV is out of stock on those. Was wondering as to if someone has purchased a Tivo HD DVR which is compatible? TIA.

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
post #657 of 4615 Old 12-12-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSCPLAYA View Post

What problems are you hearing about? I use HDMI with no problems at all on my set.
post #658 of 4615 Old 12-12-2006, 08:34 AM

Also interested in learning about "HDMI-issues" with this set. In particular, would like to know if my problem described below is in any way related or just the shortcomings of H20 DirecTV box. Anybody?

2) I have the H20 hi-def box from DirecTV (non-DVR). Since it has HDMI output, I connected H20 to TV through HDMI cable. To my surprise, I was not able to make it work on anything but 480p signal coming out of the H20. (I have the button on the front of H20 that allows me to change signal output from 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i.) I remember it used to work with my old 32" Samsung HD in 1080i. Why it did not work on 4095D? I end up connecting my H20 through composite and choosing 1080i signal as an output. It looks great, by the way. But the fact that normal HDMI-to-HDMI in 1080i did not work bothers me...
post #659 of 4615 Old 12-12-2006, 03:43 PM

for what it's worth, Yves at samsung contacted me.
It looks like they've been able to replicate the problem.
For the uninformed, a couple of us, have had problems between the Samsung HD860 and the LNS4695. It flashes purple when you attempt to hit 1080i on a couple upconverting DVD players using a HDMI cable (720p works fine).
They expect a new firmware out in the next couple weeks.

Not sure if it's for the HD860 or the LNS4695.
All that was conveyed was, basically, sit tight for bit.
I don't know anything else about the firmware rev. other than that.
Hopefully, that'll fix it up.

Happy ho ho,
michael

Home is where my theatre is.
post #660 of 4615 Old 12-12-2006, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

is the overscan very bad via HDMI on this tv. I am considering this tv in the 40in or the sony 40v2500.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page