Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4615 Old 12-18-2006, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap View Post

I'm not using HDMI (yet!), but from what I understand, it is a 'smart' connection in that it communicates to the device to which it's attached to determine what type of signal to send. Since the TV is incapable of reproducing 5.1 itself (it only has 2 speakers), the HDMI protocol tells the cable box to switch to DD 2.0. This is really an oversight on the part of the TV manufacturers IMHO, because they should have considered that some people would want to pass through a 5.1 signal.

Anyway, for now you'll just have to route the optical cable directly to the receiver.

Another option would be to get an HDMI receiver and go cable box -> receiver -> TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4615 Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post

Has anyone had problems with images being grainy when watching a Blu Ray 1080p movie with HDMI?

Which movie? There are a number of BD and HD-DVD movies with grain, and it's usually intentionally left in to mimic the original film print.
post #723 of 4615 Old 12-18-2006, 08:58 PM

I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but what is the difference between the LN-S4096D and the LN-S4051D? The only thing I can find is the 96D has 6000:1 contrast ratio whereas the 51D has 4000:1. Is there anything else that would justify an extra $400+?
post #724 of 4615 Old 12-18-2006, 11:13 PM

The 96D is 1080p whereas the 51D is 720p/1080i. That's a pretty big difference in terms of specs. There are other differences too such as QAM tuner.
post #725 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 06:49 AM

Thanks, I can't believe I missed that. Is there some sort of product matrix for all of the Samsungs? I've been very close to purchasing the LN-S4051D but now I find there's a LN-S4041 which looks identical, and then there's the DLN-S4092D which is more expensive, but does not appear to do 1080p.
post #726 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisonHiker View Post

Can someone confirm the 4096 has a QAM tuner (or the ability to watch unencrypted HDTV channels via cable without a CableCard)? I wrote Samsung and they said this model doesn't have a QAM tuner. I thought I saw a message here somewhere from someone who says they are watching the HD channels this way.

Samsung also told me that neither the 4095D or the 4096D are Energy Star compliant...yet the 4095D is listed on the Energy Star website. Does anybody know the real answer? Perhaps someone has one of these models and a way to measure the wattage used when in standby?

I was all set to order from Toshiba or Mitsubishi until I found out their TVs used 33 to 330 times as much electricity as the Energy Star models when in standby. When I saw the 4095D listed, I had my fingers crossed that the 4096D would be too...

It HAS to have a QAM tuner! I'm pretty sure that "DCR" means is has a slot for a CableCard, and CableCards must have a QAM tuner in the TV.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #727 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko2k6 View Post

I just got the Bought the Sony KDL-40V2500 today but I'm disappointed. When I'm watching sports or anything fast moving it lags especially when i'm playing nba 2k7 for the ps3. So I might send the lcd back. Do any of the samsung lcd's have problems with the response time or lag?

As long as the LCD has decent response time (mine is 8 ms) it's not an inherent issue with LCDs. I've watched tons of various HD sports and never see motion blur. I am reasonably convinced that it's because my cable company seems able to deliver a far higher bit rate than most systems in other cities. This "supposition" was reinforced when I DID see a lot of motion blur on PBS. I spots where there was ONLY a talking head on the screen! I looked into it and it turned out the problem was that PBS loaded way too many "things" onto their signal (multicasting) that they were delivered an unusually low bit rate signal to the cable company. There obviously was much screaming and within 2-3 months, I noticed it far less.

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #728 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I just got the Bought the Sony KDL-40V2500 today but I'm disappointed. When I'm watching sports or anything fast moving it lags especially when i'm playing nba 2k7 for the ps3. So I might send the lcd back. Do any of the samsung lcd's have problems with the response time or lag?

thanks!

The samsung is pretty much engineered for gaming...... you cant go wrong
post #729 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I am so interested in either the 4095 or the sony 40v2500. The problem is the overscan on the 4095 is killing me. Everything seems like the samsung would be the better buy except for that.
post #730 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 09:35 AM

I had originally bought the 4095D but was a little disappointed to see that on a fully black screen, the black was not uniform, but rather cloudy. I had seen a couple posts saying that they too have this problem and that some of the Sonys also have this problem - I was starting to think I would just have to deal with it because I liked the picture otherwise. However, I managed to talk my wife into an upgrade and I returned the 4095d and got the 4695D. I love the size more obviously, but the best part too is that my blacks are now uniform and not cloudy So, non-cloudy black Samsungs do exist at least 4695s. Thanks to the one person who did reply to my previous query about this issue.
post #731 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 AM

It's not clear from the specifications listed on the Samsung web site. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger due to a good price at Circuit City.
post #732 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

As long as the LCD has decent response time (mine is 8 ms) it's not an inherent issue with LCDs. I've watched tons of various HD sports and never see motion blur. I am reasonably convinced that it's because my cable company seems able to deliver a far higher bit rate than most systems in other cities. This "supposition" was reinforced when I DID see a lot of motion blur on PBS. I spots where there was ONLY a talking head on the screen! I looked into it and it turned out the problem was that PBS loaded way too many "things" onto their signal (multicasting) that they were delivered an unusually low bit rate signal to the cable company. There obviously was much screaming and within 2-3 months, I noticed it far less.

thanks for the response.
post #733 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyLCD View Post

The samsung is pretty much engineered for gaming...... you cant go wrong

thanks for the response I might try a samsung lcd or a panasonic plasma.
post #734 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

After much research I ordered a 4095d from Fry's at a very good price, free shipping but with sales tax. Fry's emailed me next day saying it was not available, but they would ship when it came in. Wanting the tv before Christmas, I emailed right back canceling the order, and Fry's acknowledged my email, even including my cancelation at the bottom of their email.

I then went to Amazon and found a slightly better deal, but it was from a company called etronics.com. I checked them, and the resellers grade was 8.4, pretty good, but with lower grades for recent month. I ordered, higher price than Fry's, but no tax. The site said shipping in 24 hours. Next evening I get a phone call from etronics, the guy wants to sell me a mount. I said it was going on a tv stand. He then said that I had to buy a $200 hdmi cable. I said I was using it as a tv only, he said I still needed the cable. I explained how tv's need only an antenna to work fine. He then wanted to sell me a $649 warrantee. I said every tv seller in the world sells the same warrantee for $300, and I didn't want it anyway. There then followed a succession of deals all including the warrantee, including a "cleaning kit" among other things although the tv comes with a wiping cloth. I finally prevailed, and he signed off with a surly "we'll ship it."

The etronics site showed my order in "packaging" for 5 days, although it ships in its factory box. Never able to get any idea when it would ship, or if it would ship. Then Saturday I get an email from Fry's that my order had shipped! I emailed the back about the cancelled order, and that email was acknowledged. I then phoned every day for the rest of the weekend and Monday morning. The phone would answer, I would pick "customer service" and be put on hold. After about 20 minutes every called would be cut off.

Monday first thing the DHL truck pulls up, and I go out. There is the Fry's tv very nicely strapped to its own little pallet and looking pristine. I refused delivery and emailed Fry's that I had refused and not to charge my credit card. A half hour later the UPS truck pulled up, and I again went out. There was the worst banged up box I have ever seen, the straps dangling, the front side (screen side) caved in, the top open. The UPS guy said if anything was wrong they would come pick it up. I knew this was a lie, but I reluctantedly accepted delivery. The tv is fine, which says a lot for Samsungs box. I later got an email from etronics saying the tv had shipped...

Lessons?

Don't buy from etronics, a Brooklyn company that will call you up with a hard sales pitch for stuff you don't need, and whose website lags by about a week.
DHL does a good job with shipping, and they were gonna bring it in and unbox it, all for free from Fry's.
UPS sucks.
Beware Fry's, they don't read their email and their phone doesn't work. They give you 2 numbers to try, but one is disconnected. Still waiting for an answer.
post #735 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

I am not sure if I have uneven light bleeding from the left side of my 4695D...or whether it's just the limits of LCD technology. In very dark scenes, the left side of the set looks brighter than the right, particularly when there is a white object on the screen. Light just jumps off the white text or object on the left...but not on the right. I notice light peering out also from the top and bottom left corners of the screen. I do not notice this in bright scenes...only dark.

Would it help to "de-stress" the tv by laying it flat for a couple of hours? When I got this tv yesterday, it had the cloudy backlight issue. I layed it flat on my bed and the clouds were lessened after that. I wiped down the cloudy areas with a cloth afterwards and the clouds seem almost totally gone now. But alas, the uneven backlight remains.
post #736 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniwek84 View Post

It's not clear from the specifications listed on the Samsung web site. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger due to a good price at Circuit City.

No, the 4695D does not have a QAM tuner, only ATSC for over the air DTV.

It's not clear if the 4696D has a QAM tuner or not, but it is "digital cable ready" with a CableCard.

I have the 4695D.
post #737 of 4615 Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill WOW HD View Post

Is anyone else unable to select Wide Fit on standard definition cable broadcasts?

It's "grayed out" on my menu selection.

Thanks,
Bill

With all those with this TV on this site, surely someone can answer this, please!?!
post #738 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 08:46 AM

Liked: 12
Hmmm, I got mine last night. Do you select wide fit by clicking the p.size button? If so I am pretty sure I was able to. If not it did wide-zoom or something. That probably doesn't help but I did wide something by hitting the p.size button on standard cable.
post #739 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 AM

I purchased the 4695D yesterday returning Sharp 46D62U. I have a question. When I turn off the TV, a blue led light is continuously on the power button. Is this normal?
post #740 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatch View Post

I purchased the 4695D yesterday returning Sharp 46D62U. I have a question. When I turn off the TV, a blue led light is continuously on the power button. Is this normal?

Yes that's normal. There's a way to turn it off in the setup menu. Just set the "blue eye" to off.
post #741 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroD View Post

I had originally bought the 4095D but was a little disappointed to see that on a fully black screen, the black was not uniform, but rather cloudy. I had seen a couple posts saying that they too have this problem and that some of the Sonys also have this problem - I was starting to think I would just have to deal with it because I liked the picture otherwise. However, I managed to talk my wife into an upgrade and I returned the 4095d and got the 4695D. I love the size more obviously, but the best part too is that my blacks are now uniform and not cloudy So, non-cloudy black Samsungs do exist at least 4695s. Thanks to the one person who did reply to my previous query about this issue.

How many hours do you have on the set? I've noticed with about 25-30 hours on the set I am now seeing an uneven (cloudy) backlight on the left 1/3 and lower 1/4 of the display in pure-black scenes. Is this normal?
post #742 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 PM

I've got around 100 hours on mine and it's still nice and even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin2 View Post

How many hours do you have on the set? I've noticed with about 25-30 hours on the set I am now seeing an uneven (cloudy) backlight on the left 1/3 and lower 1/4 of the display in pure-black scenes. Is this normal?

post #743 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin2 View Post

I had this cloudiness right out of the box. However, I'm pretty sure someone else had this tv first and returned it - the styrofoam in the box was a little beat up and when I started the tv up for what I thought was the first time, I didn't get prompted to do the initial setup of time/time zone, channel memorization etc. So, I can't say for sure how many hours were on it. The 4695 I have since got only has about 5 hours on it, and so far no cloudiness just uniform black.
post #744 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroD View Post

I had this cloudiness right out of the box. However, I'm pretty sure someone else had this tv first and returned it - the styrofoam in the box was a little beat up and when I started the tv up for what I thought was the first time, I didn't get prompted to do the initial setup of time/time zone, channel memorization etc. So, I can't say for sure how many hours were on it. The 4695 I have since got only has about 5 hours on it, and so far no cloudiness just uniform black.

I wasn't prompted for any of that either -- mine came from Amazon and looked new.

I have a new one coming anyway so maybe it'll be better.
post #745 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 05:36 PM

The Best Buy tech came out today to look at my flickering issue, as he was leaving (it wasn't flickering) it started up for him. He is calling Samsung but suggested that if I want I could just take it back to the store.

I might be taking it back, not sure yet...
post #746 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfoo View Post

After much research I ordered a 4095d from Fry's at a very good price, free shipping but with sales tax. Fry's emailed me next day saying it was not available, but they would ship when it came in. Wanting the tv before Christmas, I emailed right back canceling the order, and Fry's acknowledged my email, even including my cancelation at the bottom of their email.

I then went to Amazon and found a slightly better deal, but it was from a company called etronics.com. I checked them, and the resellers grade was 8.4, pretty good, but with lower grades for recent month. I ordered, higher price than Fry's, but no tax. The site said shipping in 24 hours. Next evening I get a phone call from etronics, the guy wants to sell me a mount. I said it was going on a tv stand. He then said that I had to buy a $200 hdmi cable. I said I was using it as a tv only, he said I still needed the cable. I explained how tv's need only an antenna to work fine. He then wanted to sell me a $649 warrantee. I said every tv seller in the world sells the same warrantee for $300, and I didn't want it anyway. There then followed a succession of deals all including the warrantee, including a "cleaning kit" among other things although the tv comes with a wiping cloth. I finally prevailed, and he signed off with a surly "we'll ship it."

The etronics site showed my order in "packaging" for 5 days, although it ships in its factory box. Never able to get any idea when it would ship, or if it would ship. Then Saturday I get an email from Fry's that my order had shipped! I emailed the back about the cancelled order, and that email was acknowledged. I then phoned every day for the rest of the weekend and Monday morning. The phone would answer, I would pick "customer service" and be put on hold. After about 20 minutes every called would be cut off.

Monday first thing the DHL truck pulls up, and I go out. There is the Fry's tv very nicely strapped to its own little pallet and looking pristine. I refused delivery and emailed Fry's that I had refused and not to charge my credit card. A half hour later the UPS truck pulled up, and I again went out. There was the worst banged up box I have ever seen, the straps dangling, the front side (screen side) caved in, the top open. The UPS guy said if anything was wrong they would come pick it up. I knew this was a lie, but I reluctantedly accepted delivery. The tv is fine, which says a lot for Samsungs box. I later got an email from etronics saying the tv had shipped...

Lessons?

Don't buy from etronics, a Brooklyn company that will call you up with a hard sales pitch for stuff you don't need, and whose website lags by about a week.
DHL does a good job with shipping, and they were gonna bring it in and unbox it, all for free from Fry's.
UPS sucks.
Beware Fry's, they don't read their email and their phone doesn't work. They give you 2 numbers to try, but one is disconnected. Still waiting for an answer.

Hehe, all I did was walk into my local fry's, and had them price match their price on their website when I bought my tv. Put it in the back of my suv and drove it home same day. Strange they didn't cancel your order though.
post #747 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill WOW HD View Post

With all those with this TV on this site, surely someone can answer this, please!?!

Viewing SD analog cable broadcasts, I can wide fit on my 4095.
post #748 of 4615 Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrosssdf1 View Post

Viewing SD analog cable broadcasts, I can wide fit on my 4095.

That's odd. I can't on my 4695.
post #749 of 4615 Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:

thanks for the response I might try a samsung lcd or a panasonic plasma.

Plasma is not ideal for gaming due to image retention (burn-in).... I was very close to buying the 42" Pana. Plasma (viera) but backed out due to that issue. (I do lots of gaming as well)
post #750 of 4615 Old 12-21-2006, 08:13 AM

So I'm new to the forums and I'm also going to be the new owner of the S4695D model come tonight. My girlfriend bought this tv for me as a xmas/bday gift One hell of a gift huh

1st I was wondering if anyone knows what are the dimensions of the Box this tv comes in? I live in NYC and I'm trying to figure out if it will fit in taxi van.

2nd I was wondering what some of you could tell me I will need for this tv.

I have VGA/HDMI cables already in the mail from monoprice for my HD cablebox and I'm picking up a VGA cord for my 360 today... Is there anything else I should do or get?

I was also thumbing through older posts but was having a hard time finding optimum video setups for watchign TV / DVDs / Games

Im dying to play some Gears of War tonight on this bad boy

Thanks guys and gals
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page