OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 4616 Old 01-06-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think clouds are the same as backlight bleeding. From what I've read, the latter is at the edge, but the clouds can be anywhere on the panel. But maybe I'm wrong here.
If it doesn't bother you during actual viewing, then I don't think it's anything to get worked up over.
I really can't say if the "energy saver" method will work. Remember, turning the Energy Saver to High just turns the backlight DOWN, which makes clouds (and probably bleeding, if it's different) less noticeable. It seemed to work for me when I first bought the TV but there's no reason I can think of that ANY Energy Saver setting should actually eliminate the clouds.
You might want to search back in either this or the other 4095/4096 thread a few pages, I'm sure I've seen some calibration settings. The only thing I've done to mine is turn DNIE and DNR off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4616 Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 PM

sorry to ask again because i am trying to find out why my local ultimate electronics and bestbuy is sold out of the 4696d i have purchased this tv over a week and whenever i go to th e store it shows that samsung has not shipped more to their wearhouses and all of the ultimate electronics in phoenix are backordered by a bit and and i am trying to figure out what is going on they are saying that the sony and samsung lcd's are poplular and they can't keep stock because they are selling out of them.
post #903 of 4616 Old 01-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think clouds are the same as backlight bleeding. From what I've read, the latter is at the edge, but the clouds can be anywhere on the panel. But maybe I'm wrong here.

Well, it's hard to say then. This particular patch of light is on the far bottom right, not actually on the edge.

Quote:
If it doesn't bother you during actual viewing, then I don't think it's anything to get worked up over.

Well, as far as I know it doesn't affect viewing whatsoever, but the fact that it's there DOES bother me somewhat. I just don't like having a defect that other owners may not have. I'm spending a lot of money so of course I want a perfect screen. I think I would be foolish to exchange it over something so small, especially when the next TV could have more spots or even dead pixels.

So I tried the energy saver method. I left the TV on for an hour, came back, and sure enough the bleeding was reduced; on the top edge it was slightly visible, but the one on the bottom was pretty much invisible. It soon showed itself a few minutes after though, so I tried the energy saver method again for a bit longer. It's much less visible currently, almost impossible to see.

The question though is whether anyone has managed to make these spots disappear permanently using this energy saver method.
post #904 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLDIER View Post

Well, it's hard to say then. This particular patch of light is on the far bottom right, not actually on the edge.

I may have just misunderstood other descriptions of backlight bleeding. Maybe they are the same thing.
I don't think you're alone with respect to the clouding issue. I thought one of the Sony threads showed that more than 60% of those panels had clouds. If you don't notice it, that's a good thing. I've seen pictures posted which show an incredible difference between light and dark areas and have affected normal viewing. When I initially noticed the clouds it was only as I was spending time on black screens adding and deleting channels. Watching Star Wars last night I noticed that even really dark scenes look very different than when there's no image at all. Your reservations about returning the set are probably well founded - I'm not sure if stuck/dead pixels are that much of a problem, but it's always a chance, and until someone comes up with a good explanation about the clouds (and a true fix for them), you're at risk for getting a set that's worse than what you have. Whether that's much of a risk or not is pretty hard to tell.
post #905 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have searched this forum and looked through the manual, but I can find no mention of any break-in prodcedures. I know with my CRT, I had to do certain things for while before I could just use it without thinking about how I was using it. Are there similar requirements for LCDs?

Thanks,
Ted
post #906 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 AM

Over at the "Sony XRB Clouding Thread", someone there posted a theory of a protective layer not being the right size over the panel. He thinks this layer moves around or changes size under certain conditions. He claims that he can physically move the clouds around on his screen by using his palm with firm pressure.

I think the clouding must have something to do with temperature changes in the protective layer in the panel. When the energy saver is set to 'high', less heat is being produced since the back light is lowered. When the engergy saver is set to 'off' or 'low', more heat is produced since the back light is brighter. Maybe this temperature change causes some expansion and/or constriction of the protective layer over the panel resulting in the clouds that come and go with the change of the engergy saving setting. But what do I know?
post #907 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is my general impression that the Samsund 4x92 series and the Sony S2000 series LCDs do not have the clouding issue. Is this correct?

I have recently discovered that, with my viewing distance, I would need a 60-70" set to see 1080p, so if my 4696 has clouding, it would not be the end of the world to get a 720p set as an alternative. I really hope mine does not have clouding. The Samsungs seem to have less problems with it, at least anecdotally.

Thanks,
Ted
post #908 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post

I'm caught between the 4095 and the 4092... I do plan to do a fair amount of gaming/blu-ray watching, being a college student (I've saved) I'd like to save some money, but that extra $400 for 1080p sounds spicy... I don't want to be later regretting not getting the 95d... any recommendations? Will it make that much of a difference watching blu-ray movies? I will be watching from various distances (sometimes 5 feet, sometimes 12) but usually closer to 5-6 feet.

I'd like some feedback on this exact question as well.
post #909 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

No, the clouds and "backlight bleeding" are not the same thing. The backlight bleeding involves light peering from a corner of the screen. I have that issue, as I have light bleeding from the upper left part of the screen. VERY distracting during dark video games like "Gears of War" or a dark scene in a movie. In comparison, my "partly cloudy" cloud formation on the right side on my tv is not as bad. The bleeding light makes this tv unwatchable in dark scenes.

I didn't want to do this but I have decided to return this tv (my 4th Samsung LCD replacement) to BB and get the LG Plasma. I hate to give up 1080p, but when you can't enjoy the full experience of watching anyway, what good is it? I'll miss the amazing picture clarity, particularly with sports...but I know the backlight bleeding will drive me bonkers.

BB has reached the stage where I have been red-flagged for the amount of my returns and I really got into it with the store manager the other day. He says my 30-day return policy applies to the "original date of purchase", not the latest TV I have received. This doesn't sound right to me. Anyway, they may not allow me to get the LG...since I've been red-flagged. CC does not offer the LG version with dual HDMI inputs, so I'll see what my options are.

Isn't tv buying so much fun??!!!
post #910 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylstacy View Post

I'd like some feedback on this exact question as well.

I believe the 92D series only has one component hookup. The 95Ds have two.
post #911 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post

Change the energy saving setting to High (lowers the backlight level)

Unfortunately, I had already set Energy Saving to high. The screen is still grey unless DNIe is selected. The dark areas are then truly dark, but the rest of the picture is off.
post #912 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

No, the clouds and "backlight bleeding" are not the same thing. The backlight bleeding involves light peering from a corner of the screen. I have that issue, as I have light bleeding from the upper left part of the screen.

Thanks for the clarification.

Other items:
I have my 4096D connected directly to cable, no cable box. I cannot "name" any digital channels. Is this a problem (i.e., are others able to name digital channels) or is that just the way it is? This limitation does not seem to be mentioned in the owner's manual.

Using an OTA antenna, I get channel info (channel name, sometimes even program info). But I get none of this for any channels, analog or digital, using the cable input. My Samsung DVD/VCR combo gives me channel and sometimes even title information for analog channels. They could put this functionality into a $90 DVD player but not a $2000 TV?
post #913 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't believe analog station information is carried over analog signal - HD sources (OTA) provide that information along with the actual programming being transmitted in the digital signal.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #914 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
The new line of LCD/CRT/DLP HDTV sets from Samsung (including the replacement models for the 4X95/96 models): http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/s...nd-crt-lineup/. No release dates or prices yet (Sammy wants to sell as many of the current models as possible), but can you say THREE HDMI 1.3 inputs per set?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #915 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 PM

I have this TV for about 1 month now and I am mostly satisfied except for some annoying things. I have Comcast Cable with the Motorola 3416 DVR BOX and am using the HDMI connection. I know the SD channels don't look as good as on my old CRT TV, (and know this is somewhat normal) but is there any settings which make them look less blocky? A more annoying problem is I noticed since day 1 is when a scene changes from dark to light or vice versa, I notice a step down to dark or light. Its like 2 steps to reach the current scenes picture levels of brightness,contrast,etc... It is not instantaneous. Has this anything to do with the pixel response time? This also occurs when playing a DVD too. HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THIS ON THEIR TV? I don't see this ALL the time but it is noticeable. Could it be the brightness,contrast,backlight settings that cause this? Any help would be much appreciated.
post #916 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Just curious...has anyone experienced massive pixellation problems with this tv? I have Time Warner HD Cable and on most channels with any serious movement (like concerts on InHD or NBC Sports), there is tons of pixellation. I honestly could not even watch one of those concerts....it was a pixellation-fest mess. I notice that ESPNHD doesn't have any pixellation probs.

Not sure how much of these problems are the source....or the LCD TV.
post #917 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW_2006 View Post

I recently bought the 4695D at CC (great deal online - about $500 cheaper than the sales in any local stores).

So far I am very very happy with this LCD.

I have noticed one thing that I have not seen mentioned (at least I have not found it) so was curious if others have experienced this - and is it normal.

I should first point out that I have not changed any default settings and I think the PQ setting is set to Dynamic (I mention this because the DNIe setting is turned on, and maybe just shutting this off would make a difference (at work now so can't try).

When I am watching HD shows that have dark backgrounds (night shots) and then switches to light backgrounds, and the camera goes from one shot to another back and forth (like someone standing outside on a front porch at night, then to the person who they are talking to standing inside the house in a well lit aread, then back out again...) I am noticing a slight flicker when it first changes the scene (it's almost a delay where it looks like someone is turning on or off the light to match what the scene is).

So when they go from the lighter shot to the darker shot, it almost looks like someone turned off the lights (as if the shot is almost lit up, then the TV decides it is supposed to be darker so drops the light level down), and I also see the reverse when it goes from dark to light - it seems as if someone turned on the lights (for the first split second it seems dark, then it suddenly lights up). I don't notice it alot, but have caught it a few times.

Is this normal, or could it be a problem with my TV that I should be concerned about (or is it just because DNi is turned on...)?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I would also like to hear the answer to the question above about the upconverting DVD players. I have a Bose Lifestyle 28 and I just use that progressive scan DVD player (and it looks basically HD quality to me) - it connects to my TV through the component video (and I use optical for the sound). I was also curious if I switched to a DVD player that does upconverting and connected through the HDMI if I would notice any difference (or enough difference to make it worthwhile to make the switch). I am in no rush to go BR or HD DVD yet.

Hey RW,

I just made a post about the same flickering from light to dark scenes which I also see on my TV ,an LNS4096. Have you seen it since you turned off DNIE? I will turn DNIE off and monitor. I hope thats all it is. I bought a samsung HD960 upconverting DVD player and the DVDs look great but I never looked at my old 480p dvd with my new samsung TV so I cant tell you if it looks that much better. I got the upconverting player because I too was in no rush to get a BR or HD DVD player.
post #918 of 4616 Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 PM

I ordered a 4695D through J&R in mid December. the TV arrived last Friday, and I went through all the tests I've read throughout this thread.

Setup: 4695d, comcast digital via component, xbox360+hddvd via component, pioneer tuner via SPDIF cables.

* No backlight bleed

* No clouds at all - perfectly flat matte black's in all conditions.

* Typical overscan with my laptop, but nothing with Xbox 360 (tried Rainbow 6 vegas, Gears, and Ghost recon).

* Comcast Digital cable is broadcasting SD fairly well - on par with that of my Sony Wega that I had prior.

* Tried the VGA cable for Xbox360, it did wash out the colors, as if a diffuser was placed over the screen. For no, I'm just putting it back in its box until such a time it is equivalent to component.

Something I noticed, is that this TV came from Samsung Canada - all its remittence correspondence for was french canada. I'm wondering if JR had supply from there (being in NY themselves) that weren't subject to the clouding issues.
post #919 of 4616 Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

I am not 100% sure if I am getting light bleeding from the left side of the tv, but in dark scenes, the set is noticeably lighter on the left side of the tv. I am seated about a foot to the right of the edge of the right side of the television...the tv is in my bedroom. I notice that when I move closer to the center of the tv, the left side of the tv isn't quite as light.

Has anyone experienced this LCD tv to be THAT sensitive as far as lateral movement, light vs. dark?
post #920 of 4616 Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 PM

I have equal light bleeding on the left and the right. At least I'm balanced.
post #921 of 4616 Old 01-08-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post

I am not 100% sure if I am getting light bleeding from the left side of the tv, but in dark scenes, the set is noticeably lighter on the left side of the tv. I am seated about a foot to the right of the edge of the right side of the television...the tv is in my bedroom. I notice that when I move closer to the center of the tv, the left side of the tv isn't quite as light.

Has anyone experienced this LCD tv to be THAT sensitive as far as lateral movement, light vs. dark?

I sit 8 feet back from the screen. If I sit in line with the left edge of the screen the right is lighter and if I sit on the right side the left side is lighter. If I sit in the middle, there is a smaller section on each side that is lighter. Very annoying on dark shows such as 24.
post #922 of 4616 Old 01-09-2007, 08:08 AM

So is it pretty much a given that all 4095D brands will have some amount of backlight bleeding? Because I've been constantly debating whether to exchange mine, but I need to know what the odds are of getting a 100 percent clean black screen. Like I said, I have two spots on the right side, but they don't seem to interfere with the picture. I've watched dark movies like Black Hawk Down and the beginning of Star Wars EPIII. The only time the patches are visible are when it's pitch dark (like when flipping channels or before a game/movie starts), but I still obsess about the fact that it's there.

So what's the word? Be happy with what I have, since I could get something worse with an exchange? I just want to know what the odds are. And just as reassurance, backlight bleeding doesn't actually affect the picture, right (as in some parts are brighter than others)?
post #923 of 4616 Old 01-09-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

My 4095d has a teensy amount of bleeding. Accept it.

Anyone here have a PS3? Any settings for games/Blu Ray?

Bear Down!
today.
PSN=Neko150
post #924 of 4616 Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks to all for the replies.

Unfortunately, this will be my last post here...I have decided to scrap the Samsung LCD and go with plasma. The last straw was last night. I bought a PS3 and connected it to HDMI input 2. Well, the "black" screen was bright grey and there was severe light bleeding from the left and right parts of the screen. I tried to watch "Crash" on Blu-Ray and the dark scenes almost looked like daylight...the screen was so bright. HDMI input 1 did not have it quite as bad, but input 2 was miserable.

I won't be coming back to LCD until they resolve many of these lighting issues. It's a shame...cause the HD picture of the set when showing a bright scene is outstanding.

Take care all...
DVDF
post #925 of 4616 Old 01-09-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone at all? PS3 settings?

Bear Down!
today.
PSN=Neko150
post #926 of 4616 Old 01-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
My 4095d has a teensy amount of bleeding. Accept it.

I'm not sure what is considered teensy.

Basically, you'll get some backlight bleeding no matter what? Also, is it possible that it could actually grow over time, or not likely?
post #927 of 4616 Old 01-09-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLDIER View Post

I'm not sure what is considered teensy.

Basically, you'll get some backlight bleeding no matter what? Also, is it possible that it could actually grow over time, or not likely?

If I'm standing up (my TV is 19 inches off the ground) you can see big time clouds on the left/right (nature of the technology). If I'm sitting down, looking directly at the panel, I have very little bleeding at all. I wouldn't even call it bleeding, but minor clouding. Yes, you can expect minor clouding on about every panel.

Bear Down!
today.
PSN=Neko150
post #928 of 4616 Old 01-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Hi I just received my S4095D yesterday from amazon and it was working great.. Today I'm getting horizontal lines on all inputs.. what do I do?
LL
post #929 of 4616 Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM

Are they moving from the bottom of the screen to the top, or are they stationary? And what type of cable / satelite do you have?

I believe it is just interference from your cable or sat provider. I have comcast cable and I see it also on mine. But it's only on SD channels. And I can only see it on blank black screens, and it moves from the bottom to the top of the screen for me. The HD channels don't have it. And it doesn't do it with the xbox 360, or DVD's.

I will say that it doesn't look as bad on my TV. I've tried different cables, better cables, and all sorts of things. Nothing seems to improve it. I think it just may be the cable service or the box. If anybody knows more about it, please share.
post #930 of 4616 Old 01-10-2007, 01:58 PM

I bought a Samsung LN-S4695D over the holidays. Love the picture, especially Discovery HD over Comcast. I find myself watching nature shows or shows about clothing in India, just to gaze at the images.

A few observations that I know I had been looking for when I did my initial research, so I'm posting them here for future searchers:

- SD channels look good, but occassionally show fuzzy edges, which is often the case with LCD TV's apparently. However, before I sold my 36" Sony, I was able to view sd side by side with the Samsung. Despite the fuzzy edges, the image was actually better - we forget what sd looked like with scan lines!
- I purchased an HDMI cable through Monoprice - it's a nice sturdy cable, much less expensive than Monster. To be honest, I'm not sure there's a better image out of my cable box versus component cables, but it IS convenient to only have a single cable for video and audio.
- I purchased an upconverting Panasonic DVD player (can't recall the model number, but it was rated tops along with the Sony at Circuit City.) I really really wanted it to improve my DVD pq. But after more than an hour of swapping between the upconverting player and my old DVD player, using 4 dvds as testers, I concluded that my old DVD's player produced a better image through component than the upconverting DVD player did through HDMI. And the thing is, my old player was non-progressive scan player made by Samsung. I returned the upconverting player to CC. The rep there said he's heard the same comments from other owners of high end HD TV's and he hasn't been impressed with the pq either. FWIW, the image quality of my old DVD player on the sammie is great.
- My TV makes clicking sounds for about 30 seconds or so when it's first turned on. I've seen lots of posts about this (for samsung and other HD sets) and the assumption is that it's normal - power relays or something. However, I called Samsung, and the rep (who was nice but seemingly not a tech savvy guy) said it was definitely NOT normal, and that I might consider setting up a service call. Bottom line, from what I've read, I'm concluding that there's nothing to it.
Now if you'll excuse me, there's a Discovery Channel show about whales in the Arctic that I must watch.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page