Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalek View Post

ok but when i turn the DNle off i see the picture quality get washed out dont you agree? it looks more clearer with it on

I keep the DNIe on & the NR off. You should set yours to what you like & don't pay any attention to anyone else's preferences other than as a reference!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx111 View Post

Hey all. New to the forum and considering picking up the LNS-4695D. Vann's has it bundled w/the Harmony H659BLK remote for $2600. Decent deal or should I hold out for the 4696D? Thanks.

Depends on how much of a TV junkie you are... the 96 has a cable card slot, if you also are a DVR person, what is unique about the 96 is that you CAN record 2 HD streams and watch a third live one via the cable card input. As in watch a hockey/basketball game and record 2 TV shows that happen to run at the same time (24 and Heroes are going to run in the same time slot, 2 very popular shows).

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

post #993 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRR View Post

I keep the DNIe on & the NR off. You should set yours to what you like & don't pay any attention to anyone else's preferences other than as a reference!

Steve, how do you keep it Off?

My 4095 always turns them back on. Thanks
post #994 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Depends on how much of a TV junkie you are... the 96 has a cable card slot, if you also are a DVR person, what is unique about the 96 is that you CAN record 2 HD streams and watch a third live one via the cable card input. As in watch a hockey/basketball game and record 2 TV shows that happen to run at the same time (24 and Heroes are going to run in the same time slot, 2 very popular shows).

I'm a Tivo guy, but don't have plans to upgrade to Series3 any time soon. Any thoughts on the price? Thanks for the response.
post #995 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalek View Post

ok so far im still not satisfied with the new calibration that i have tested. i need something that will look good with hd dvd movies, hd chanels also i need to find thee perfect setting for gaming such as 360, ps3 bceasue the 96d default gaming mode setting im not satified with it still makes the game look a bit dark, so i need something better and alittle brighter bceause im planning to put the DNle option on at all times so please any suggestions out there for me. thanx

is your 360 connected via component video or VGA? the 360 will only output 1080i during HD-DVD playback (as per a HD-DVD regulation) when using component video, and I see distracting noise that degrades PQ on a 4695d from interlaced signals.
post #996 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocteau View Post

Steve, how do you keep it Off?

My 4095 always turns them back on. Thanks

You might still be in SHOP mode. Do all of your other settings change as well?
post #997 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post

Is 19 flat a good deal for the 4095? I see good things but I want to get a good deal. Thanks all.

No, I'll give you a better option. I'm sending you PM since deal talk isn't allowed in the forum

EDIT: alirhgt, since I've already gotten 4 PMs, maybe I should make a public post of my suggestion. And maybe I can post this without getting in trouble if I don't say the exact price. I bought from Amazon, for a price less than what I'm seeing now on their page actually (I'm watching the price every day in case it drops again within 30 days because amazon refunds the difference). No tax and free shipping made this a great deal for me. Even at the price that it is right now, that's still the best price I'm seeing for this TV, and definitely a better price than what Nostalgic is considering
post #998 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

The new line of LCD/CRT/DLP HDTV sets from Samsung (including the replacement models for the 4X95/96 models): http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/07/s...nd-crt-lineup/. No release dates or prices yet (Sammy wants to sell as many of the current models as possible), but can you say THREE HDMI 1.3 inputs per set?

How big a deal is this for someone who just bought a 4095? I'd been waiting for so long that I didn't want to wait anymore. and I have a PS3 begging to be pushed to 1080p. But PS3 rocks 1.3 HDMI too right? and the 4095 is just regular HDMI?
post #999 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
It's worse than just the cloudiness and the overscanning of HDMI 1080i/p

The menus will not let you choose which audio source goes with which video input - they are all preassigned based on assumptions - and the audio input select menu item is greyed out on my unit.

You are not allowed to select any inputs if the TV doesn't think that there is a signal there, since it assumes therefore that you do not wish to use it - this has caused me HUGE problems and cost lots of time.

I am very unhappy with this TV - and will be replacing it very soon.

I could live with some of the problems and move it to my patio, if only Samsung would have come on here with a fix for the overscanning HDMI issue.
post #1000 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Please, anyone? One of you must have a PS3 they can turn on..

Literally, as soon as I turn the PS3 on, the black level changes dramatically, even before it reaches the dashboard.

I haven't really played any games on the PS3 yet (in my opinion, there aren't really any games to play yet - Im not a FPS fan so resistance is out for me) - I just keep watching blu-ray movies.

But once a decent game comes along, I'll see if I notice anything. God, I hope there's no problem like this
post #1001 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post

Anyone at all? PS3 settings?

I'll let you know soon. Hopefully others can chime in for now. lol.. I need some PS3 games to be motivated to play. All I have right now is Genji

For Blu-ray, I'm just watching in Dynamic but last night I was watching in Movie and I was pretty wowed by that.

Has anybody else fallen in love with Superman Returns on Blu-ray/1080p even though its the biggest disappointment of '06? I've watched this thing like 3 times in the past week. I'm going to watch it again tonight probably too
post #1002 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post

Well, I got my 4696D yesterday. I spent 5.5 hours assembling my stand (Sanus PFFP2B), mounting the set, routing cables (wish I had thought to bring home a fish tape (the PFFP2B has a rather small raceway), hooking up components, and playing with picture settings.

So far, I have no issues with the set. The backlight is smooth and even, no clouds. No noticeable clicking sounds. It was assembled in December 2006. The tag on the back reads Samsung Canada.

The stand alone for this set must weight 20 lbs. After I took it off, it was very easy to lift in comparison.

The biggest problem I ran into was with cables. When I use HDMI on my SA8300HD, I cannot also use Optical Digital outputs. I need to decide whether to get another HDMI cable and route everything through my receiver or give up on HDMI. I could see no difference between HDMI and Component video quality, so it might be simpler to just revert to component. Not sure what I will do there. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ted

When I saw the optical output in the back of the TV, I thought:

"Sweet, since I only have 1 optical input in my so so Panasonic HTIB (temporary until I get a good 7.1 set up), now - instead of manually switching the optical wire each time - I can just leave my optical wire in one place, going from my TV to my 5.1 receiver... And this optical out will carry the dolby digital signal that it receives via HDMI from either the PS3 or my SA8300HD....

and again... now I don't have to physically take out the optical wire and plug it into either the PS3 or SA8300HD depending on what I'm watching."

However, that hasn't been the case so far. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I (at least I think I) have set my PS3 and my SA8300HD to send a dolby digital signal via the HDMI to the TV... but there must be a loss somewhere along the way because the panasonic receiver just senses L + R speakers only from the optical in (that, again, comes in from the TV), not a full 5.1 signal.

So sadly, I have to keep switching the optical wire and when I want to hear whats going on with my cable box and dont have my 5.1 system on, I have to manually go and make the audio output HDMI again. I think I'm going to start using component for my SA8300HD STB again and skip the HDMI so at least I can solve one problem
post #1003 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Anyone else here with a PS3 hooked up to their 4695 via HDMI? I'm experiencing some SERIOUSLY washed out blacks (they're literally grey) when using any downloaded movie trailers, game demos, or store-bought games. I DON'T have this problem when watching a Blu-ray movie. As soon as I quit the movie, though, I can see my black level change dramtically.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

i do not have any issues with PS3 with 4695. I have tried three or four BD movies also, the downloaded game from PS3 store they also worked OK.
i am using HDMI with 1080P out from PS3.
post #1004 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

It's worse than just the cloudiness and the overscanning of HDMI 1080i/p

The menus will not let you choose which audio source goes with which video input - they are all preassigned based on assumptions - and the audio input select menu item is greyed out on my unit.

You are not allowed to select any inputs if the TV doesn't think that there is a signal there, since it assumes therefore that you do not wish to use it - this has caused me HUGE problems and cost lots of time.

I am very unhappy with this TV - and will be replacing it very soon.

I could live with some of the problems and move it to my patio, if only Samsung would have come on here with a fix for the overscanning HDMI issue.

I bet you work for Sharp!
post #1005 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 03:22 PM

I too am patiently waiting for my new bundle to arrive (4095). I purchased mine through Amazon (Amazon direct, not one of their other sellers) with the free shipping and no tax as well. I got a great deal on it. Beat the B&M stores by quite a bit.
post #1006 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Hi,

After much research (thanks to this thread in part) I bought the 4095. We got it today and I plugged it in, turned it on and was going thru the "plug and play" and I must have zipped through a couple of things because now the "channel" section of the menu is not available to me. I'd like to autosearch channels but the TV won't let me. How do I get the "channel" submenu to be available to me? What am I missing?
post #1007 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by srizvi1 View Post

However, that hasn't been the case so far. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I (at least I think I) have set my PS3 and my SA8300HD to send a dolby digital signal via the HDMI to the TV... but there must be a loss somewhere along the way because the panasonic receiver just senses L + R speakers only from the optical in (that, again, comes in from the TV), not a full 5.1 signal.

So sadly, I have to keep switching the optical wire and when I want to hear whats going on with my cable box and dont have my 5.1 system on, I have to manually go and make the audio output HDMI again. I think I'm going to start using component for my SA8300HD STB again and skip the HDMI so at least I can solve one problem

This is not a problem with the set. It's the way the HDMI standard is written. It's supposed to discourage digital copying of content. No TV will output 5.1 from an optical output when being fed input over HDMI. You'll have to run the optical input directly to your receiver.

There are optical switches available. I bought one of the cheap mechanical ones off ebay for $8 plus shipping. It works fine.
post #1008 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuleOf72 View Post

Hi,

After much research (thanks to this thread in part) I bought the 4095. We got it today and I plugged it in, turned it on and was going thru the "plug and play" and I must have zipped through a couple of things because now the "channel" section of the menu is not available to me. I'd like to autosearch channels but the TV won't let me. How do I get the "channel" submenu to be available to me? What am I missing?

I'd like to know this as well since I have the same problem. I'm using a 6 yr old DishNetwork satellite box. I've posted the question before but never got an answer. Hopefully someone here will know.
post #1009 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 04:50 PM

hello all
was hoping some one could help me out
I have a lns4095d, brighthouse networks cable with a sa 8300hd dvr box
Tv works great . i have been using the componet cables that came with the box
Just recieved an HDMI cable from Monoprice
pluged the cable in ( left the componet cables attached) and no signal from both the compoent input ot the new hdmi imput.
removed the hdmi and all works fine
reattched the hdmi without the componet cable and nothing ( no signal)
simply cant get the hdmi to work...
i have a call into tecg support for the cable box... still waiting
Im trying to determine if
i have a bad hdmi cable
bad set up box
mis config on the tv or the set up
or something with the tv ( i only have 5 days left b4 i can return it)
i have no other HDMi devices that i might try
any idea's??
would greatly appreciate it
Thank you
post #1010 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post

I'd like to know this as well since I have the same problem. I'm using a 6 yr old DishNetwork satellite box. I've posted the question before but never got an answer. Hopefully someone here will know.

Glad to see someone else has the same problem You would think that there would be a way to autoset channels besides just the 1st time you power up the TV. Hopefully there is a way to do it.
post #1011 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM

The entire "Channels" section of the on screen menu is dithered out(unclickable). I wonder if this is because my satellite box is so old and is analog instead of digital?
post #1012 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

For you folks with the "channels" selection grayed out: What is connected to your antenna 1 and 2 inputs? Maybe I'm not understanding your problems, but those of you who have this problem with satellite/cable boxes - if they're hooked up via anything but coax, I would not expect to have the "channels" selection available, since the TV isn't the one providing the channels. I hooked up a VCR to my 4096 via coax, and my "channels" selection still showed up.
post #1013 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

The entire "Channels" section of the on screen menu is dithered out(unclickable). I wonder if this is because my satellite box is so old and is analog instead of digital?

OK guys -

Your "Channel" selection in the Menu will be disabled if it doesn't detect a signal at the antenna input (Antenna 1 for Air and/or Antenna 2 for Cable). Also, if you accidentally hook up your cable TV coax to your Ant 1 Air input, "Channel" will be disabled. If you are using a satellite rx or cable box, you should not be using either of these inputs. Instead you should be using HDMI, component, or S-video cables from your box to the TV. Read your Owner's Manual!

You CAN hook your cable TV coax directly to the Ant 2 connector and bypass the cable box, but you will not receive any unscrambled HD channels (clear QAM) unless you have the LN-Sxx96D.

If you have not tried over-the-air HDTV with an antenna (even an indoor one, depending on where you live), you don't know what you're missing in picture quality. Just make sure you hook it up to the right connector.

Stew in Florida
post #1014 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4SMX View Post

OK guys -

Your "Channel" selection in the Menu will be disabled if it doesn't detect a signal at the antenna input (Antenna 1 for Air and/or Antenna 2 for Cable). Also, if you accidentally hook up your cable TV coax to your Ant 1 Air input, "Channel" will be disabled. If you are using a satellite rx or cable box, you should not be using either of these inputs. Instead you should be using HDMI, component, or S-video cables from your box to the TV. Read your Owner's Manual!

My satellite box is connected via S-Video. No HDMI or Component available on the back of my old satellite box. So those of us who use a satellite only will never get to use our "Channels" function correct?

I don't think I am able to receive OTA signal because I live in a very rural area out in the country, far from any big cities. I wish I could since it would save me an extra $5/month for the local channels.
post #1015 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My satellite box is connected via S-Video. No HDMI or Component available on the back of my old satellite box. So those of us who use a satellite only will never get to use our "Channels" function correct?

I don't think I am able to receive OTA signal because I live in a very rural area out in the country, far from any big cities. I wish I could since it would save me an extra $5/month for the local channels.

Correct, you would not get to use the Channels function. But it isn't necessary given your source. Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything magic.

How far do you live from a city, period? There are a lot of smaller cities that have full power HD available. You might be able to find some more details on the local thread for the nearest city.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45
post #1016 of 4615 Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Is anyone running an Xbox 360 via VGA to a 4095D with acceptable/"awesome" results? I can watch HD-DVDs at 1080i over component with DNe turned off and it looks great to me, but once I switched to the VGA cable and ran it at 1920x1080@60, the image was washed out, I had ghosting until I turned game mode on and it doesn't seem nearly as crisp.

I appreciate any settings or suggestions.

Or just yell at me.
post #1017 of 4615 Old 01-19-2007, 12:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

For you folks with the "channels" selection grayed out: What is connected to your antenna 1 and 2 inputs? Maybe I'm not understanding your problems, but those of you who have this problem with satellite/cable boxes - if they're hooked up via anything but coax, I would not expect to have the "channels" selection available, since the TV isn't the one providing the channels. I hooked up a VCR to my 4096 via coax, and my "channels" selection still showed up.

Nope - "channels" isn't the problem, it shows up pretty much all the time, even if no antenna is connected.

It's all the REST of the inputs that give trouble.

And even if you get an input working, like say VGA/PC, you can't choose which audio input you would like for it, which is extremely annoying.

Worst HD purchase I have made...
post #1018 of 4615 Old 01-19-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Anyone else here with a PS3 hooked up to their 4695 via HDMI? I'm experiencing some SERIOUSLY washed out blacks (they're literally grey) when using any downloaded movie trailers, game demos, or store-bought games. I DON'T have this problem when watching a Blu-ray movie. As soon as I quit the movie, though, I can see my black level change dramtically.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.

I've got my PS3 hooked up to my 4695 with HDMI cables and used gamemode and standard settings for picture display, etc. I have not seen any noticeable problems with the dark blacks. Rented Resistance Fall of Man and found it to be perfect contrast... even fast games like full auto have been stellar... no pixilation at all on the PS3 either.
post #1019 of 4615 Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

And even if you get an input working, like say VGA/PC, you can't choose which audio input you would like for it, which is extremely annoying.

Worst HD purchase I have made...

I guess I would have thought that the audio input for the VGA would be the input jack that's right next to the VGA input. I have not heard of any TV's that allow you to map different audio and video inputs, at least not similar TV's (like the Sony XBR series). Maybe the Sharp has this?
post #1020 of 4615 Old 01-19-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakon View Post

I guess I would have thought that the audio input for the VGA would be the input jack that's right next to the VGA input. I have not heard of any TV's that allow you to map different audio and video inputs, at least not similar TV's (like the Sony XBR series). Maybe the Sharp has this?

The input jack next to the VGA input is, indeed, the VGA audio input. The Xbox 360 VGA cable comes with an RCA->mini converter to plug into your PC/HDTV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page