OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4616 Old 09-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey joekun - wrt brightness settings. What I've been finding is that everytime I set it to something specific I find some other content for which this setting is just not "right". SD varies widely, HD has less variability but still has it and xbox 360 games seem to have different takes on brightness/gamma. So what I've done now is used standard/dynamic and custom to select different brightness settings: 28, 37 and 45. Then when I tune in a show I switch between them until I get one I like.

The other day I was watching Stargate: Atlantis, I paused and adjusted the brightness down until I brightness was as low it could go without losing blacks. This setting was around 35 or so. But then I change the channel (SD shows in particular) and find the image is a bit washed out. So then I'm stuck adjusting the brightness again. Honestly I never used to be this fussy with my picture settings - I don't think I adjusted my tube set's colour/brightness/contrast in 10 years. For some reason my perfection expectations have gone *way* up with this set. Must be the gazillion dollars I spent!!!

More and more I find that DNie can help in these circumstances. My take on DNie is kinda similar to "auto-volume". You know how annoying it can be to change the channel or put on a DVD and find that suddenly its really loud or really quiet? I'm finding that DNie functions kinda like that auto-volume but for brightness and contrast settings. Like for my wife who doesn't like monkeying with the settings all the time, and watches a wide variety of different sources - she gets the best mileage out of having Dnie on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4616 Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood53 View Post

Hey Westa,

Did you mean tomorrow, or monday ?

How will that effect the current Sony 46xbr2/3 msrp? and the soon 52xbr3?

Although it is killing me I am reluctantly willing to wait a few more days to see how this all shakes out. I so wanted to stop at Nathans famous today in Coney Island.

The Announcement I am informed is expected October 1st and many dealers that were at CEDIA are aware of it but of course must wait for it officially but I've noticed a curious thing occurring is the MSRP has dropped at a few dealers in advance to slightly over the new MSRP knowing full well that by the time any sale were to occur the announcement will have been made. Rules prohibit me from identifying those.

If it fails to occur then I eat crow but there is no other reason for an on-line dealer to suddenly price a 57" Sharp at $8K in the last 24 hours since none have been close to that figure since it's debut. Since many of these internet dealers don't work on Sunday I wouldn't expect alot of action though on-line since their Web Hosting and updates may not occur until Monday unless some have planned for it in advance. Web Designers get weekends off too.

What I will bet knowing Samsung is I bet they will lower the MSRP of the 5797 by at least a thousand dollars or more since they've had a 3 month headstart as the price leader and suddenly the SHarp MSRP will be lower than theirs - Samsung pricing history is to try and stay ahead of Sharp in this area. As to Sony, they have nothing larger than 52" and they love living off of brand loyalty and they take a bit more to move in price but it sure cannot hurt to have these guys fighting for our dollars. Good news for us!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #93 of 4616 Old 10-01-2006, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks ZyronEnder, I have tweaked some of the different settings for various inputs, but I might try out some of your suggestions. Like you I never noticed this issue with my old direct view CRT, or my old 55" widescreen rear-projection set but I don't think it's because of increased expectations as I've been calibrating my TVs using whatever means available (Video Essentials LD, then DVD, then Avia, then DVE, then Get Grey, now have a Spyder and am considering CalMan) and once things were setup they always looked great.

I tried out two "value" LCD sets before getting the Samsung, and it is by far and away the best of the three, but they all had problems with crushed blacks. I don't know if this is related to the inability of LCD to deliver a true black (which doesn't bother me because I never view it in a dark room and don't really notice) or if it is just another limitation of the technology.
post #94 of 4616 Old 10-02-2006, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyronEnder View Post

I thought I'd post the calibration settings that I've been most happy with so far with my 46" LN-S4696D:
Contrast 75
Brightness 36
Sharpness 30
Colour 45
Tint 50/50
Tone normal
Energy Saving: low/medium

[Brightness update] For most movies with letterboxing, using Brightness=28 makes the bars as black as they're going to be (at Energy Saving = medium) - going lower gives no further blackness. However, at this point, there is a small loss of detail, so depending on the scene 28-40 seems to be the sweet spot on my set.

Now, I think absolutely *everyone* here has recommended that DNie be turned off. I can honestly say that I've never really seriously tried DNie out. Until tonight.

Tonight I was watching Star Trek Insurrection, and was playing around with settings (which seems to be my obsession lately! LOL) and discovered I actually liked the DNie processed image better!? I was like, Holy Cr*p!? How can that be ... because everyone here says DNie makes things worse!?

I tried it with a bunch of other recorded HD programs and found that while my preference varied depending on the lighting conditions that prevaled in any given program, more often than not, I liked the DNie version better.

That said, in some programs, the DNie processing made noise more visible and in others introduced a slight "clayface" effect. But not all programs, that's for sure, but from now I'll be turning DNie On as my default and turn it off for a specific show only when I see problems.

So, for my tastes, this sums up my feelings about DNie:
DNie On - 75% of the time excellent picture, 25% of the time strange artifacts
DNie Off - 100% of the time very good picture

So, how's that for contrarian?

One thing I'd also like to add is this: I don't believe DNie processing is the same from one set to another. I previously owned an Samsung LN-S4692D model and it seemed to me that using DNie on that set didn't give the same result as using DNie on this new set. My belief is that "DNie" is simply the marketing name for "whatever the hell image processing we decide to do for any given set." I believe that DNie was the likely cause of some very distracting scene persistance issues on the 4692 that I don't see with the 4696.

Interesting issue for the 4692 I am going back to take a really close look at this. I watch a lot of Hockey thank you for the info I also think DNie is a marketing tool and should be defeatable other wise "makes you think"
post #95 of 4616 Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 AM

rswmkw - I should clarify that the persistence issue on the 4692 was I believe caused by processing and only happened with very dark scenes (say bright white title credits on jet black background, or the iPod commercial.) Once I saw a "smear" manage to crawl its way into the black letterboxing area at the top. It started with just a little section of line but over time a faded version of it over time crawled up higher into the black letterbox area. Strangest thing. The picture was otherwise fine. I could only explain it as a processing problem. Things like watching a fast moving hockey showed no problems - this is a really fast LCD panel. If you search for my posts you'll see that I've explained it better elsewhere.

Again, the 4696 looks great!
post #96 of 4616 Old 10-02-2006, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

I've had my 4095d since July and an Xbox 360 since Feb. The recent news of the upcoming update to the 360 to allow 1080p upconversion is huge, but with it only working via a VGA connection I wanted to know if the 4095 and xbox 360 vga connection worked. Have you had any issues with this connection?

when you find out... please let me know

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #97 of 4616 Old 10-03-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMacMan View Post

I've had my 4095d since July and an Xbox 360 since Feb. The recent news of the upcoming update to the 360 to allow 1080p upconversion is huge, but with it only working via a VGA connection I wanted to know if the 4095 and xbox 360 vga connection worked. Have you had any issues with this connection?

I wouldn't get too excited about Xbox 360 over VGA. The connection works fine (make sure to set the Xbox 360 to 720p first otherwise my 4095 would not communicate) but the results are very bland. You can get 1080p from a PC over VGA but this connection has no life, no zing, no pop. The colors and image are dull and soft, and cannot compare to the component connection or HDMI connections. Load up a PC game over HDMI and the colors and image almost jump off the screen (Serious Sam 2, I know it stinks as a game, is breathtaking at 1900x1080).
post #98 of 4616 Old 10-03-2006, 08:13 AM

Just to clarify:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-G View Post

"1080p is supported over VGA for DVD, HD DVD and gaming output. And yes, AACS [a form of DRM] does allow 1080p over VGA (classified under authorized "computer monitor outputs")."

The VP goes on to add that "for component, you get gaming up to 1080p, and 1080i for HD DVD. DVD only works at 480p over this connection. The latter two are due to restrictions in DVD CCA and AACS rules for DVD and HD DVD playback respectively."

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/21-09-2006-3668.html
post #99 of 4616 Old 10-03-2006, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotkiv View Post

I wouldn't get too excited about Xbox 360 over VGA. The connection works fine (make sure to set the Xbox 360 to 720p first otherwise my 4095 would not communicate) but the results are very bland. You can get 1080p from a PC over VGA but this connection has no life, no zing, no pop. The colors and image are dull and soft, and cannot compare to the component connection or HDMI connections. Load up a PC game over HDMI and the colors and image almost jump off the screen (Serious Sam 2, I know it stinks as a game, is breathtaking at 1900x1080).

you have the 4095d?

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #100 of 4616 Old 10-03-2006, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Kaijo's link reports 1080p over component will be possible - just stick to that. VGA isn't as pretty.

Bear Down!
See how your Blu-Ray movies stack up. Visit the Blu Ray Tier thread today.
Blu Ray Titles: 17
PSN=Neko150
post #101 of 4616 Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM

is there a way to manually dial in channels? I have the 4095 and I am trying to get the only Local HD that the auto-tuner is not picking up. I read the manual but it is silent.

Other than that I am fairly happy, disapointed over non 1-1 for PC use. The set might go back depending on how good the sharp 42 is.

Other than 1-1 and this last local HD (it's abc too which is 40% of my TV viewing). I am pretty happy with the set.
post #102 of 4616 Old 10-04-2006, 04:41 PM

just got my HDBOX from Time warner cable.

trying to watch hockey but i am noticing blurriness when the camera moves. This blurriness lasts for a split second, but its getting pretty annoying.

Can somebody tell me if this is normal on LCD screens? I am not sure if i can handle this.....

thank you for any info u can provide.

I just bought a Samsung S4695
post #103 of 4616 Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 PM

have you tried putting it on "game" mode to speed up the processor?
post #104 of 4616 Old 10-08-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflo77 View Post

just got my HDBOX from Time warner cable.

trying to watch hockey but i am noticing blurriness when the camera moves. This blurriness lasts for a split second, but its getting pretty annoying.

Can somebody tell me if this is normal on LCD screens? I am not sure if i can handle this.....

thank you for any info u can provide.

I just bought a Samsung S4695

Even though a small very fast moving object (lick a puck) might blur with LCD, refresh rates with the new LCD TVs is much higher and this blurring is not an issue for most people. What you are probably seeing is compression/mpeg artifacts. Some stations compress more than other and may produce a momentary blockness or blur when the entire image changes. This is more due to the quality of the broadcast and the compression they use than the TV.

Many people here have confused the "macro blocking" seen with the TVs video processor but I find this type of things on certain HD station while others look really good. For example I have never seen any blur or blockiness while using the 360 or watching 360 HD videos but I have noticed in in certain HD cable stations.

Due to the required bandwith for true HD content, providers will continue to use crappy compression and when you have a nice big high rez display you may notice these things even more.
post #105 of 4616 Old 10-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHSER7 View Post

have you tried putting it on "game" mode to speed up the processor?

i dont see where i can put it in "game" mode...there seems to be four modes....dynamic, standard, movie, and custom....but no game mode?
post #106 of 4616 Old 10-08-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post

Even though a small very fast moving object (lick a puck) might blur with LCD, refresh rates with the new LCD TVs is much higher and this blurring is not an issue for most people. What you are probably seeing is compression/mpeg artifacts. Some stations compress more than other and may produce a momentary blockness or blur when the entire image changes. This is more due to the quality of the broadcast and the compression they use than the TV.

Many people here have confused the "macro blocking" seen with the TVs video processor but I find this type of things on certain HD station while others look really good. For example I have never seen any blur or blockiness while using the 360 or watching 360 HD videos but I have noticed in in certain HD cable stations.

Due to the required bandwith for true HD content, providers will continue to use crappy compression and when you have a nice big high rez display you may notice these things even more.

do DLP screens have the same delay response times.....
could it be that i am sitting too close to the screen?
this really sucks...i am starting to be dissapointed..
post #107 of 4616 Old 10-08-2006, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflo77 View Post

i dont see where i can put it in "game" mode...there seems to be four modes....dynamic, standard, movie, and custom....but no game mode?

It's not in that part of that menu picture. Go over to the setup section. It's just under the timer setting.
post #108 of 4616 Old 10-08-2006, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
CrysDark - I am returning the Sharp 42" for a Samsung 4095. The viewing angle is absolutely brutal on the Sharp 42". If you are not sitting front and center, there is a severe drop off in color (very washed out picture at any angle what so ever). I'm hoping the 4095 is the answer for me!
post #109 of 4616 Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraigiii View Post

CrysDark - I am returning the Sharp 42" for a Samsung 4095. The viewing angle is absolutely brutal on the Sharp 42". If you are not sitting front and center, there is a severe drop off in color (very washed out picture at any angle what so ever). I'm hoping the 4095 is the answer for me!

I second that. But, I'm just going to hold off on buying a panel altogether. I'm not sure that the 4x95 is the answer. But, I'm going to give it a much closer look this time around.
post #110 of 4616 Old 10-09-2006, 06:06 PM

My first HDTV, and loving the way this thing handles SD source. I know, I know, but have to wait 2 months until construction completes to get the dish installed outside. I think I stumbled on the power saving bonus of better black presentation. My high-quality ReplayTV recordings look very acceptable.

question: what D-Net devices/services are currently available? The number of caveats is greater than the useful information, so i'm guessing this is a wasted port. Please prove me wrong.

John

wisdom is the domain of the wis (FZ)
some things i know some things i don't
post #111 of 4616 Old 10-09-2006, 08:15 PM

Hi everyone. I've had my 4095 for about 3-4 weeks now and I do like it a lot. It is my first HDTV, as I upgraded from a basic 25 CRT.

At first I was using the following settings:

Under Picture:
Contrast - 90
Brightness - 37 to 40'ish
Sharpness - 75
Color - 50
Tint - 55
Color tone - normal
DNIe - off

Under Set Up:
Energy Saving - low.

I did use DNIe here and there for brighter scenes, and thought it was great! But it's as if it gets rid of ambient reflected light, so shadows were overly black. As mentioned by others, it would kick in odd artifacts under some content. Outside of the too black issue, DNIe looks great!

As far as blur, or blocks appearing during fast motions, I have noticed this too. However I do believe it has to do with compression as others have said. Concerned, I went to BB and messed with their 4095 hooked up to the Bluray player and replayed several fast motion scenes. No blocking at all!

These blocks appear clearer when the contrast is set very high. Also when contrast is set high the text in many broadcasts can have artifacts around them, but both the motion blocks and text artifacts are hard to see when more than 5 feet away.

However, to further rid these distortions, I set the following:

Contrast - 85
Brightness - 58
Shapness - 55
Color - 50
Tint - 55
Color tone - normal
Energy Saving - low

Reducing contrast brings down picture brightness, so to compensate I raised the actual Brighness setting. The increast brightness also helps with dark scenes. I'm still playing around and will report further findings.

LN-T4671f
Firmware = 1007
Hardware = 1001
Build Date = August 9th, 2007
post #112 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 AM

I was almost completely sold on the LN-S4095D, until I saw it at Circuit City and the "black piano finish" bezel around the screen was so warped it was a deal killer! Anyone else experience this? Does it normally come smooth (as in you can see smooth reflections)... or is it always kinda warped? I would get really distracted by this.
post #113 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 11:33 AM
rad
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipchen View Post

I was almost completely sold on the LN-S4095D, until I saw it at Circuit City and the "black piano finish" bezel around the screen was so warped it was a deal killer! Anyone else experience this? Does it normally come smooth (as in you can see smooth reflections)... or is it always kinda warped? I would get really distracted by this.

I have the 4696, it's not perfectly smooth, there are a couple 'bumps' around it but I'm too busy looking at the picture to be bothered by it.
post #114 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM

Has anyone actually got a cablecard working on one of the **96 sets? Only reference I could find was one person having trouble and one planning to try.

If anyone has it working, does it force a fan on like I've heard the JVC does?

Thanks,
Dan
post #115 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansw View Post

Has anyone actually got a cablecard working on one of the **96 sets? Only reference I could find was one person having trouble and one planning to try.

If anyone has it working, does it force a fan on like I've heard the JVC does?

Thanks,
Dan

I had a CableCard in my LN-S4096 and do not remember the set giving off more noise than usual (which is none). Alas, I no longer have it in the set since I had to re-use it in the TiVo Series 3 when the installer only brought 2 cards and, of course, one would not work. I haven't scheduled another truck roll to get a new card for the set yet, and may not since I use the TiVo for most of my viewing. Thought it might be nice if I was recording two shows and wanted to watch a third, but not sure if that is worth the extra $5/month Comcast charges here for extra cards.
post #116 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipchen View Post

Yes it is warped and not smooth as you would like but it doesnt bother me one bit. It doesnt distract me or anyone else who has viewed football games and the baseball playoffs either.

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #117 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking of getting a 4096 but I just cannot tolerate how low the black levels are in this set. I turned the brightness on a demo all the way up to the maximum and I still can't see the outlines of someone's dark hair or dark blazer on this TV.

Anyone else have this problem?
post #118 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 PM

Did you try turning DNIe off?
post #119 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 PM

Liked: 12
Hello
I just bought a Sammy 4696 and its truly amazing. There is a slight buzz (high pitched) coming from the cablecard slot on the back however. Can anyone confirm that this is normal? it's really slight - only hear it when TV is muted and I put my head to the back....but I'm niggled!

Thanks
post #120 of 4616 Old 10-12-2006, 09:58 PM

Relative to the question about cablecard, I am using a Scientific Atlanta card supplied by Time Warner on my 4696D. I started out using their HD set top box but got tired of having to re-boot the box to get it to sync up with the set using HDMI. Everytime I powered down the set and the box I would get a message from the box that my set was not HDCP compliant when I powered them back up.
I had Time Warner come out and install the cablecard & returned the set top box. The installer could not get it to work with the subscribed digital channels and blamed it on a weak signal. He put a work order in for a house signal amplifier. After he left I got on the phone with level 2 support at their head end and after about an hour of trying they finally were able to hit the card and give me an "auth received" status on the "SA CableCard CP Screen."

What I discovered is that the Samsung digital tunner does a much better job on both picture and audio quality than the set top box. It is very noticeable with the audio. You give up the pay for view interactive stuff and the cable program guide. The only problem I am left with is an occasional hang up when changing digital channels that can be overcome by either switching back to another chanel or giving the card a reset from the set up menu. Also noticed that every time they send a channel up date to my location the cable favorites get reset in the channel manager.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln S4095d 40 Inch 1080p Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Ln S4695d 46 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - S4095d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page